PDA

View Full Version : Commuting from Evanston - Downtown

el_fefes
10-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Does anyone commute from Evanston or nearby? I just moved there an I'm not sure what the best route would be. I've heard centre st can be gong show during rush hour.

BigDL
10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
How about using the bike path that follows Deerfoot, a bit further from Center St but you don't have to deal with cars.

GSR2700 ISX
10-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Whatever people say, the quickest, on average is the Beddington, Deerfoot, and Memorial way. (Rush hour or non rush hour)

There are always accidents here and there, but with everything being equal, that route is the most consistent way to get downtown the quickest

drtoohotty1
10-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by GSR2700 ISX
Whatever people say, the quickest, on average is the Beddington, Deerfoot, and Memorial way. (Rush hour or non rush hour)

There are always accidents here and there, but with everything being equal, that route is the most consistent way to get downtown the quickest

:rofl: you realize he's riding his bike right? i don't ride a bike so i don't know how bike accidents affect their traffic flow

98type_r
10-22-2012, 06:53 PM
I ride from Panorama so its not foo far from you. From Evanston you have a couple options.

All pathway along Nose Creek to Memorial Drive, this is the longest route distance wise but you have zero traffic or stopping for lights until you hit downtown.

14th Street has a pathway that runs along but you're stopping a few times to cross the street. Take that pathway until Northmount and you're riding in single lane traffic until Confederation Park where the bike lane starts that'll take you into the core. A bit shorter distance but you're climbing up Nose Hill.

Shortest distance (for me) is to take the pathway from the north until you hit Harvest Hills Blvd. Then take that through the bus trap at the north edge of Beddington on Centre Street. Take Centre to 72nd and then ride along 4th Street as far as you can and take the Centre Street bridge into the core. I only take this way in and traffic is light, I don't want to ride uphill on the Centre Street bridge on the sidewalk or getting in the way of traffic so I take alternate routes home.

samo147
10-22-2012, 07:05 PM
You guys ride in the winter? How long does it usually take to bike from panorama to downtown?

silvercivicsir
10-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Its not that bad, I did it all during summer, and can make it to the office from Evanston, in less then 1hr. did over 3500kms on the mountain bike this year.. 24.3kms each way (too bad winter is here).. cry: :cry: :cry:

Originally posted by BigDL
How about using the bike path that follows Deerfoot, a bit further from Center St but you don't have to deal with cars.

98type_r
10-22-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't ride in the winter, but my commute normally takes me about 40 minutes door to door. Same times as driving/taking the bus.

phreezee
10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
This is my buddies time from Panorama near Stony Tr. to give you an idea:

Time
00:58:13

Max Speed
38.9km/h

Avg Speed
17.6km/h

el_fefes
10-22-2012, 07:44 PM
thanks for the ideas. I think I will take 14 st and 4th just to try it out. Seems quite a bit longer on nose creek.

silvercivicsir
10-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Wish i could of rode in today instead of taking the car +bus.. and being stuck in traffic/waiting for the bus for almost 2hrs.. Oh how I hate living so far away from Downtown on snowy days...

el_fefes
10-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Haha tell me about it... 2hrs in the bus. I wish there was a pedestrian overpass across Stoney.

el_fefes
10-29-2012, 09:18 AM
This is the route I took. 1h10mins. Should be faster now that I know where to go.

silvercivicsir
10-29-2012, 09:23 AM
We're you the crazy bike rider I saw this morning leaving Evanston at 6:45 am ??

el_fefes
10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Haha, yeah that was probably me. Left home around 6:35am. I used to commute from Hawkwood. Only took me 40mins to get in. I'll miss that. We'll see how I do on the way back.

silvercivicsir, do you bike in the winter too?

benyl
10-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by el_fefes
This is the route I took. 1h10mins. Should be faster now that I know where to go.

wow, that is a lot of calories. Is there a big up hill section on your way in?

el_fefes
10-29-2012, 12:30 PM
I don't know how Endomondo (sports tracker app) calculates the calories... they always seem excessive lol. There a hill along 14st, but other than that it's mainly downhill.

I also have an electric assist so it won't be that much either. :D

silvercivicsir
10-30-2012, 11:58 AM
No winter commuting for me, however I'll be all over it when the spring hits.. Hopefully early April..

My garmin pegs me about 600+ Calories, but I do the Deerfoot/Nose Creek path.. With an average of aprox 24 ish Kms each way..http://www3.telus.net/andyyee/evanston.png