PDA

View Full Version : Best Steakhouse in Town?

Pages : [1] 2

bosa
10-22-2012, 05:19 PM
I want to treat my girlfriend to a really nice birthday dinner this December. She's a big fan of steak, so what to go out for is obvious. She says the best steak she has ever had was from Ruth Chris'. I don't know shit about steak so I would love to hear some other opinions on the best steakhouse in town. It needs to be good food, but let's not forget the entire experience.

Thank you in advance to those who reply.

drtoohotty1
10-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Im going to agree with her, the best steak i have had in the city was at Ruth Chris

urrforce
10-22-2012, 05:32 PM
never been to ruth's but I like chicago chophouse not sure really how that stacks up against ruths but their lob mac and cheese is a reason i keep going back lol.

dannie
10-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Not steak, but I'm in love with Charcut and their food. The prime rib is outstanding. For a steak tho, mercato is still my number 1 go to place

buh_buh
10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Vintage Chophouse makes a nice steak as well.

EK 2.0
10-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by dannie

For a steak tho, mercato is still my number 1 go to place

Mercato huh??...You know...mercato means "market" in italian...if I ever saw you in that market you would be the first thing on my shopping list...;)

But back on topic...I have to agree with the votes for ruth's and vintage...

95EG6P
10-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Cesar's was really good

ExtraSlow
10-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Trib or Vintage KILL Chicago Chophouse.

Trib would be my choice for this occasion. They know how to make a special meal feel special.

carson blocks
10-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Saltlik is my favourite steak in town so far, but I haven't tried any of the other places mentioned in this thread yet to compare.

Graham_A_M
10-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by drtoohotty1
Im going to agree with her, the best steak i have had in the city was at Ruth Chris
They have great steak for sure. Nice atmosphere too. Good place to take a date.

I was going to make a joke about if she'd be down for some Tube Steak, but I'd best not.

Maxt
10-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Best steak I have ever had in Calgary was at Japanese Village... Sadly the "bargain" steak sandwich I had at the Homestead Cafe in Lakeside Montana was even better than that.

C_Dave45
10-22-2012, 07:12 PM
We went to Vintage for our anniversary and it was fantastic!!

I had the 18oz Rib eye, she had tenderloin and lobster....yeah pretty much the best we've ever had.

Be prepared for a $300 night for two people, if you're having drinks, but it IS worth it.

We still regularly go to the Keg for a good steak. I know some don't like the Keg...but steak is my absolute favorite meal..and I love the Keg's steak and prime rib.

We went all out Saturday night: 3 of us.
Kega-mega 24oz Prime rib.
Steak and Lobster
chicken n ribs
two bottles of wine
drinks before
desert after...

And the bill was just under $200.

phreezee
10-22-2012, 07:36 PM
+1 Vintage. Never cared for Caesars. Chicago Chophouse is a waste of time and money.

Kritafo
10-22-2012, 08:07 PM
you know what I have steaks all over Calgary and I have to agree that The Keg has a good steak. I have had Ruth Chris and it's just not that fantastic IMHO. I am also a big fan of Bears Den.

I have had great steak at The living room as well.

rage2
10-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Ruth's Chris for US steaks.
Vintage for Alberta steaks.

Those are my 2 favorites in town.

Graham_A_M
10-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
We went to Vintage for our anniversary and it was fantastic!!

I had the 18oz Rib eye, she had tenderloin and lobster....yeah pretty much the best we've ever had.

Be prepared for a $300 night for two people, if you're having drinks, but it IS worth it.

We still regularly go to the Keg for a good steak. I know some don't like the Keg...but steak is my absolute favorite meal..and I love the Keg's steak and prime rib.

We went all out Saturday night: 3 of us.
Kega-mega 24oz Prime rib.
Steak and Lobster
chicken n ribs
two bottles of wine
drinks before
desert after...

And the bill was just under $200.

The Keg & Earls are pretty good bets for having a decent meal without breaking the bank.

I find myself frequenting Earls a fair bit recently.

sabad66
10-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Caesar's gets my vote. Make sure you get an order of cheesy bread too :angel:

dannie
10-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Mercato huh??...You know...mercato means "market" in italian...if I ever saw you in that market you would be the first thing on my shopping list...;)

But back on topic...I have to agree with the votes for ruth's and vintage...

LMFAO! Aaaaaaaannnnd the e-mack strikes again :love:

georgemagana
10-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Mercato!!

turbotrip
10-22-2012, 08:39 PM
ruth's chris, vintage chophouse, and caesar's are generally considered the 3 best in the city

rage2
10-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Mercato is decent and huge amounts of food, but if I'm craving a good steak that's the last place I'd go.

For a quick meal, Joey's is where I go. Steaks are consistently good, and fettuccini alfredo side is addictive as hell.

I have yet to have a good steak experience at Caesars. Maybe it's bad luck.

03ozwhip
10-22-2012, 08:51 PM
i want to try ruths chris, but my fave so far has been at caesars as well.

Xtrema
10-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Saltlik is my favourite steak in town so far, but I haven't tried any of the other places mentioned in this thread yet to compare.

Saltlik is barely OK. Just a bit better than chain restaurants, not much.

Vintage and Caesar would be my #1 and #2 pick. Vintage is outside the core so its easier to find parking in the area. Caesar is way more old school.

I want to try Ruth chris. I like corn fed us steak as well.

As for op, bring ur gf to vintage unless she hate Alberta beef then Ruth chris.

nj2Type-S
10-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

i've only been to saltlik once and i heard the food was pretty good. i wouldn't know since i lost my appetite after finding band-aid in my calamari. nice basement for private functions, though.

asp integra
10-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P
Cesar's was really good
+1 best steak in calgary imo

lasimmon
10-22-2012, 09:55 PM
I'd say ceasers. But it would only be to scam some of that cheesy bread! Hot damn it's good!

r3ccOs
10-22-2012, 09:59 PM
smuggler's inn porterhouse

rage2
10-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Smuggler's Inn hasn't been good in over 10 years. It's terrible now.

JLau
10-22-2012, 11:19 PM
smugglers inn use to be good when i was in high school lol...i heard it is terrible now

caesar's is pretty good, i wanna try ruth's chris as well, and have heard great reviews. I wish Hy's is still around, their steaks were awesome

Offroad
10-22-2012, 11:53 PM
What ? no love for the Reef and Beef in the NE ? :poosie:

FixedGear
10-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Offroad
What ? no love for the Reef and Beef in the NE ? :poosie:

Food quality has really gone downhill since the new owners took over. I can overlook the dated decor, service, and menu as long as the food is good... But after being really disappointed with the food quality under the new management, I probably wouldn't go back again.

J-D
10-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Caesars has never let me down. I used to prefer the downtown location but the Willow Park one was recently renovated, although I haven't been there yet.

I also enjoy The Ranche - but it's a little out of the way.

EK 2.0
10-23-2012, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by rage2

For a quick meal, Joey's is where I go. Steaks are consistently good, and fettuccini alfredo side is addictive as hell.

Efff that!!....it's all about the crispy mash haha...:drool:

AaronK
10-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
ruth's chris, vintage chophouse, and caesar's are generally considered the 3 best in the city

Agreed, 100%.

MM99lude
10-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Vintage!!

Start with their Tuna Tartare then get the 36 ounce (bone in) prime rib for two :drool: (oooo.. how romantic) add blue cheese steak sauce! :thumbsup:

Xtrema
10-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by JLau
smugglers inn use to be good when i was in high school lol...i heard it is terrible now

Was there during Stampede. Wasn't impressed.

R-Audi
10-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Smuggler's Inn hasn't been good in over 10 years. It's terrible now.

Smugglers Roast beef is pretty good.. I went a few months back and its tough to beat when its slow cooked... Cant see how anyone could finish the Friends and family cut. yikes.

Also on Mercato.. the Bistecca is one of the best in the city in my books.

flipstah
10-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Apparently, Vintage will show you the cuts of meat before they cook it.

Wow.

:drool:

I wish we had that restaurant like The Simpsons did; pick your own cattle haha.

suntan
10-23-2012, 11:18 AM
C1nxaQhsaaw

The_1
10-23-2012, 11:28 AM
carvers!
one of my places to go for a nice steak

urrforce
10-23-2012, 11:29 AM
oh i forgot about carvers i havent been there in ages:drool:

suntan
10-23-2012, 11:38 AM
How's Buchanan's these days?

rage2
10-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Also on Mercato.. the Bistecca is one of the best in the city in my books.
Bistecca @ Mercato is good if that's what you're looking for. Well seasoned huge slab of meat for a good price for everyone to share. Salty as fuck on the outside. Meat quality is decent, but mostly it's a great deal for the money.

Originally posted by flipstah
Apparently, Vintage will show you the cuts of meat before they cook it.

Wow.

:drool:
Ya I asked them about that, it's just to show you the cuts. That's not the actual steak you're getting since it's been sitting all day for display haha.

flipstah
10-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Ya I asked them about that, it's just to show you the cuts. That's not the actual steak you're getting since it's been sitting all day for display haha.

That doesn't sound as cool as I thought it would be. :(

EK 2.0
10-23-2012, 11:59 AM

[current events witty remark] you could take those particular cuts and feed them to the homeless no??....[/current events witty remark]

max_boost
10-23-2012, 12:06 PM
I was at Vintage and they showed you the cuts. Now maybe it's just what I ordered but I wasn't exactly blown away by their steaks. The one I had at Earl's was much better actually. :drool:

R-Audi
10-23-2012, 12:11 PM
I still have a tough time comparing any of the top 'Steakhouses' to the quality of the Costco Prime AAA-Gold Label Rib-eye. Im guessing most people have caught on because they are always out when I go now.

(Vintage, Keg, Notable.. Im always dissapointed!)

I havent tried the other cuts, but the Rib-eyes are about as finely marbled as you can get without a fancy Japanese name and ridiculous price!

95EG6P
10-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by urrforce
oh i forgot about carvers i havent been there in ages:drool:

i went to carvers 2 months ago and it was so bad would not recommend any one to go there had the scallop and everytime you bite there was a crunch had it returned and stil crunched the waiter ask the cook and he said it was salt. I never had salt that crunched before and the steak was medocore at best

20incheyes
10-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Le Villa makes a consistently kick ass steak too. I think they won "Best steak in Calgary" a few years ago from one the major local publications.

The Vintage Lobster Mac and Cheese is an excellent side. I've only had two steaks there and one was great the other was average.

Ranche is another great option.

kenny
10-23-2012, 12:56 PM

[current events witty remark] you could take those particular cuts and feed them to the homeless no??....[/current events witty remark]

A+ :thumbsup:

AzNxHyDrA
10-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I was at Vintage and they showed you the cuts. Now maybe it's just what I ordered but I wasn't exactly blown away by their steaks. The one I had at Earl's was much better actually. :drool:

I wasn't very impressed with Vintage either. I know this is more my fault but I like my steaks pretty rare.

After they show us the cuts, I can't remember which one I ordered but I asked for blue rare.

The food comes and the waiter tells me the chef suggested the cut I picked to be cooked medium rare to medium.

Wasn't very impressed that they changed my order without letting me know.
:thumbsdow

max_boost
10-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by 20incheyes

The Vintage Lobster Mac and Cheese is an excellent side. Indeed delicious! :drool:

flipstah
10-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

:werd:

Earl's was quite delectable. Then again, everything tastes better when it's CCR'd. :thumbsup: :drool:

msommers
10-23-2012, 02:22 PM

I tend to agree, definitely consistent - I go for the tomato sauce myself. Their seasoning is pretty good too, probably just NY steak spice from the store but it works.

Carver's has awesome steaks but truthfully I don't go out for steak much, prefer to cook it myself.

Mitsu3000gt
10-23-2012, 02:46 PM
I've been to Ruth Chris and Caesars multiple times and found them to be VERY average. No different than a Keg steak, to me. Their $50 steaks are worth $20 max IMO.

I've only been to Vintage and Chicago Chop house once or twice, but I didn't feel like the steak was worth the money there either. Very average, I have no desire to go back. My $46 steak was no different than one from Earls or the Keg for $20-25.

Best steak I've ever had was a ribeye at Halo (had it probably 10 times), and I've had some amazing ones at some very "low end" places as well like Joeys and also Milestones was memorable.

Mercato makes a wicked steak too, even though it's Italian.

I much prefer to spend my money on other food types rather than steak to begin with, though. The 6 course epicurian adventure at Rouge is the same price as a steak, appetizer, and side dishes at Ruth's Chris and the food is far better (IMO of course).

urrforce
10-23-2012, 02:56 PM

lol this was gold!

Originally posted by 95EG6P

i went to carvers 2 months ago and it was so bad would not recommend any one to go there had the scallop and everytime you bite there was a crunch had it returned and stil crunched the waiter ask the cook and he said it was salt. I never had salt that crunched before and the steak was medocore at best

aww that sucks my family and i used to go there quite a bit for bdays and things like that a while back when we lived in the ne but to hear it has gone down is sad.

FixedGear
10-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Best steak I've ever had was a ribeye at Halo (had it probably 10 times), and I've had some amazing ones at some very "low end" places as well like Joeys and also Milestones was memorable.

I've been to Halo twice, and both times it was among the worst dining experiences i've ever had. this seemed to be a common thing since they were giving out discount cards to compensate for problems at a number of tables around us... ...and then as we're leaving we hear some guy at a bigger party say to his friends "i have to pay separate because I have a 20% off coupon." :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
10-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear

I've been to Halo twice, and both times it was among the worst dining experiences i've ever had. this seemed to be a common thing since they were giving out discount cards to compensate for problems at a number of tables around us... ...and then as we're leaving we hear some guy at a bigger party say to his friends "i have to pay separate because I have a 20% off coupon." :rofl:

Maybe it's gone down hill, after I moved out of the South I haven't been back in a few years.

That's too bad if it sucks now, I used to love that place :cry: .

Oh well, lots more amazing places to go to in/around downtown :thumbsup:

JRSC00LUDE
10-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA
The food comes and the waiter tells me the chef suggested the cut I picked to be cooked medium rare to medium.

In other words, they fucked up and overcooked it, didn't want to remake it and you let them get away with it. :)

rage2
10-23-2012, 05:38 PM
I've been to Ruth Chris and Caesars multiple times and found them to be VERY average. No different than a Keg steak, to me. Their $50 steaks are worth $20 max IMO.
It all depends what your tastes are. Some people rate a good steak on how well it's seasoned. Others rate it based on the tenderness of the meat. Then there's me who eats my steaks blue rare that rate it based on the taste of the meat.

At Ruths, there's almost no seasoning. The taste comes from the meat, and butter. Some people love it that way, some people think it's gross. Plus, I have some friends that prefer the taste of Alberta beef over US beef, which is sweeter in taste.

That may explain why you didn't like it.

Disoblige
10-23-2012, 05:42 PM

Maybe it's gone down hill, after I moved out of the South I haven't been back in a few years.

That's too bad if it sucks now, I used to love that place :cry: .

Been once, and I'd have to agree, one of the worst dining experiences I ever had.

The atmosphere was like I was in an episode of "Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares".

Must have totally got downhill.

Mitsu3000gt
10-23-2012, 06:31 PM

It all depends what your tastes are. Some people rate a good steak on how well it's seasoned. Others rate it based on the tenderness of the meat. Then there's me who eats my steaks blue rare that rate it based on the taste of the meat.

At Ruths, there's almost no seasoning. The taste comes from the meat, and butter. Some people love it that way, some people think it's gross. Plus, I have some friends that prefer the taste of Alberta beef over US beef, which is sweeter in taste.

That may explain why you didn't like it.

Could be, I have no idea. Food is so subjective anyways, for the most part. I don't order blue rare either! It certainly wasn't bad, just to me, it didn't taste any better than a Keg steak or similar and is double the price for the meat alone.

Originally posted by Disoblige

Been once, and I'd have to agree, one of the worst dining experiences I ever had.

The atmosphere was like I was in an episode of "Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares".

Must have totally got downhill.

That sucks! Looks like I won't bother going back. Maybe they changed management or something at some point.

I used to order Calamari --> 14oz ribeye --> mud pie.....it was the best combo ever. Could also explain why I used to be 35 lbs heavier :rofl:. Probably for the best I don't go back anyways.

flipstah
10-23-2012, 07:12 PM
I could use some steak right now... :drool:

Strider
10-24-2012, 09:07 AM

I wasn't very impressed with Vintage either. I know this is more my fault but I like my steaks pretty rare.

After they show us the cuts, I can't remember which one I ordered but I asked for blue rare.

Wasn't very impressed that they changed my order without letting me know.
:thumbsdow

You probably ordered ribeye which has a lot more intramuscular fat (marbling) than other cuts.

Ribeyes are best cooked to medium-rare or medium so that the fat can render which makes the meat is juicy. Otherwise you'd be chewing on solidified fat :barf:

That said, it's never appropriate for them to change your order without telliing you. At most, they should have advised you to change your order... I would have sent it back.

CapnCrunch
10-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Vintage by far. Dry aged meat = :drool: :drool: :drool:

mrsingh
10-24-2012, 01:12 PM
+1 on Vintage, the best I have had in the city by far.

speedog
10-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Carver's has awesome steaks but truthfully I don't go out for steak much, prefer to cook it myself.
This - getting a front quarter being delivered next Monday from Highwood Valley Ranch (http://www.highwoodvalleyranch.com/index.htm). Hormone/steroid/anitbiotic free, grass and hay fed Angus - so good.

KRyn
10-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by speedog

This - getting a front quarter being delivered next Monday from Highwood Valley Ranch (http://www.highwoodvalleyranch.com/index.htm). Hormone/steroid/anitbiotic free, grass and hay fed Angus - so good.

Can you post a review of sorts of the beef you recieve and the service, etc?
Also what did it cost all in for a quater?

speedog
10-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Can you post a review of sorts of the beef you recieve and the service, etc?
Also what did it cost all in for a quarter? Will do - this is our third order from them and we can't complain about the quality of their product. Like I said before - the taste is superb. Service - they deliver right to our door and even offer to carry the boxes downstairs to where our freezer is, now this may be because they are a vendor at the farmers market that my wife manages and as a result, we've gotten to know them a bit, but they are super nice, down to earth people. Price points - if I remember correctly, it worked out to pretty much the same as the average cost per pound of everything we were buying in the past at a retail level, but we were getting (in our opinion) a much superior product. Never the less, will report back Monday afternoon with an update.

msommers
10-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Farmer's Market for meat is the best. All of those characteristics Speedog listed + it's dry aged (not sure if highwood is as well). Damn I want a steak now :drool:

AzNxHyDrA
10-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Strider

You probably ordered ribeye which has a lot more intramuscular fat (marbling) than other cuts.

Ribeyes are best cooked to medium-rare or medium so that the fat can render which makes the meat is juicy. Otherwise you'd be chewing on solidified fat :barf:

That said, it's never appropriate for them to change your order without telliing you. At most, they should have advised you to change your order... I would have sent it back.

Haha.. I'm a big pussy so I have never sent food back.

I feel like it's disrespectful so I usually just eat the meal and avoid coming back.

Do you guys actually send your food back if you don't enjoy it?

speedog
10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Highwood Valley Ranch dry hangs their beef for 21 days - link (http://www.highwoodvalleyranch.com/documents/DRYHanging.pdf) to PDF document that details their process.

Graham_A_M
10-24-2012, 04:02 PM

I feel like it's disrespectful so I usually just eat the meal and avoid coming back.

No I usually just tell the server whats wrong, and ask for a new portion of the meal, that was done incorrectly to begin with. Or if its a Steak lets say, and it was undercooked, then I'd send it back to be cooked the way I asked.
Like last weekend at Denny's, I had the "Meat lovers omelet" only to get a huge chunk of beef in it that was half gristle. The rest of it was good, but I couldn't even cut that piece of meat it was so fatty. So I asked for a new omelet and that was that. :dunno: No biggie there.

I have a crazy feeling the server nor the cook went home to cry either. No harm done either way, and I got the food within 5 minutes of asking the server for a new omelet.

C_Dave45
10-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Both my wife and I will almost never send the food back. We'll just chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on.

However on Saturday we went to our favorite standby, the Keg. When she got her Steak and Lobster, she said her lobster was VERY dry and overcooked...almost like it had sat under the heat lamp too long. We both kind of groaned, as neither of us wanted to send back such an expensive item.

But she did. VERY politely pointed out to our waiter it was quite dry. Not only did he bring back a replacement lobster tail that was cooked to perfection...HE COMP'D IT OFF OUR BILL!!! :eek:

We were both shocked! So I tipped him extra well!

Kudos to the Keg once again.

msommers
10-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Highwood Valley Ranch dry hangs their beef for 21 days - link (http://www.highwoodvalleyranch.com/documents/DRYHanging.pdf) to PDF document that details their process.

Nice! I'll have to stop by and try it out.

msommers
10-24-2012, 05:59 PM

Nice! I'll have to stop by and try it out.

asp integra
10-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Both my wife and I will almost never send the food back. We'll just chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on.

However on Saturday we went to our favorite standby, the Keg. When she got her Steak and Lobster, she said her lobster was VERY dry and overcooked...almost like it had sat under the heat lamp too long. We both kind of groaned, as neither of us wanted to send back such an expensive item.

But she did. VERY politely pointed out to our waiter it was quite dry. Not only did he bring back a replacement lobster tail that was cooked to perfection...HE COMP'D IT OFF OUR BILL!!! :eek:

We were both shocked! So I tipped him extra well!

Kudos to the Keg once again.

happened to me at the keg with family a few years ago, there were 8 of us eating there and 1 of the steaks was not cooked properly/didnt tase very good. After having another steak brought out which was perfect the manager came out and told us the whole meal, for all 8 was on the house. Like you there was a big tip, we were very surprised to hear that!

flipstah
10-24-2012, 10:43 PM

:love: :drool:

btimbit
10-24-2012, 11:03 PM

NEVER feel bad or be afraid to send food back at a good restaurant. They're not going to be upset, call you picky, screw with your food, or any of the usual worries people seem to have.
Any Chef worth their salt is just going to curse themselves for letting food get sent out improperly, and do what they can to fix the problem.
Main goal of a chef is to make customers happy. If you leave a restaurant unsatisfied, you're doing neither yourself or the restaurant justice.

Kritafo
10-25-2012, 05:36 AM

Thanks I am going to check them out now.

JLau
10-25-2012, 09:44 PM
So, my wife and i went to Ruth's Chris tonight to try out their famous steaks tonight, i was kinda disappointed.

Most of their food are very salty and greasy. The best 2 things we had were the chesse bread "complimentary", and crab cakes. My ribeye had way too much butter and was salty, and my wife's filet was a bit burnt on the outside (server did bring out a different one which was much better for her). Our bill came out to about 240, and i am pretty we've had much better food elsewhere around that price range. Service was very good though i must say.

bosa
11-16-2012, 12:24 AM
It's awesome to be inactive for a few years and come back to this much help. A big thank you to everyone who posted. I honestly wasn't expecting 80 replies, so that was really dope. I haven't decided where to go yet, I still need to read through everyone's comments. Thanks again.

vw_rabbit2.5
11-16-2012, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure if most steakhouses offer this, but I recently had a filet at redwater grille in bow valley square, and ordered it chicago rare. It was delicious!

I think it might be called black and blue. IMO it's the only way to eat a filet.

flipstah
11-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by vw_rabbit2.5
I'm not sure if most steakhouses offer this, but I recently had a filet at redwater grille in bow valley square, and ordered it chicago rare. It was delicious!

I think it might be called black and blue. IMO it's the only way to eat a filet.

I remember The Keg having this option, Chicago Rare.

Quite delish when it's charred on the outside but rare on the inside.

Witchcraft.

Skyline_Addict
11-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I like Vintage if I'm looking for something a bit more up-scale. The steaks seem to have a very "fried" taste and texture on the outside but the inside is delicious.

The Keg has never let me down. Always know what to expect going there, it is always consistent. That's not to say that food isn't good either. $70 dines two with drinks, and the french onion soup is one of the best in town.

heavyfuel
11-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Probably gonna get flamed right to hell for this, but Richmond's pub has an awesome steak sandwich, and for $16 better than the Keg by leaps and bounds if you ask me.

Disoblige
11-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
I like Vintage if I'm looking for something a bit more up-scale.
In terms of steaks, I'm not sure what could be more upscale than Vintage/Ruth Chris caliber (I didn't find Ruth Chris good at all).

If someone knows, then chime in :D

Is Caesars any good/consistent?

cancer man
11-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Probably gonna get flamed right to hell for this, but Richmond's pub has an awesome steak sandwich, and for $16 better than the Keg by leaps and bounds if you ask me.

Any steak sandwich is better when smoothered in HP sauce.

GQBalla
11-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Gf and I went to mercato for dinner.

I had the steak.... Very disappointed.
It was Cooke great medium rare. Taste wise? Salty. And the meat was super bland for some reason....

I personally live the steaks I make at home but seriously unimpressed I've had better steaks at joeys.

heavyfuel
11-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by cancer man

Any steak sandwich is better when smoothered in HP sauce.

No HP sauce at all, that's just gross and wrong in my opinion, akin to mixing 18 yr old single malt with coke. Personally, I like to be able to enjoy a steak sandwich in flip flops and a T-shirt. My rule is, dress code=don't attend. And as some of these posts clearly indicate a lot of these stick-up-the-ass "fine" dining steakhouses are overpriced and overrated, not saying it's the best there is but for $16 it pretty much is IMO.

nonofyobiz
11-25-2012, 11:20 AM
The only seasoning a steak needs is salt!

Regarding sending food back, my wifes parents (chinese) are ALWAYS sending shit back. They will find the slightest imperfection and complain about it. It's rather annoying and a little emabarrasing since we eat alot at the same chinese restaurants and they know the all the owners and managers etc. A couple times I just waved them off and got them to leave the dish so I could eat it haha. IT's prob becuase they owned a restaurant and look at things through rose colored glasses and think they're food was always perfect
/end in-law rant

:D

Jeff TYPE R
12-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Then there's me I thought you loved the good ol' Reef N Beef!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Disoblige
Is Caesars any good/consistent?

Top review from Urbanspoon:

Our dinner here was a bit of a let-down, though the restaurant didn't suffer on all counts either.
Atmosphere - So outdated that it's cool again. I actually liked it for the vintage appeal. I did NOT like the fact that they sat us in the back corner next to some sketchy looking people more interested in cursing than dining. Maybe it was because we're younger the rest of the patrons (everyone else was 40+) and not in formal attire?
Menu - Clearly outdated. They had such things as escargot and french onion soup featured on there.
Food - The french onion soup and cheese toast came with cheap shaker-parmesan cheese, kind of like the giant green tubes of the stuff you get at Superstore. The salad was the same sort of iceberg lettuce and dollop of Kraft sauce that would find at a Denny's. The stuffed potato was fine, just like anywhere else. The steak was the one thing that wasn't terrible, but it wasn't amazing either. My NY strip was homogenous in texture and monotonous in flavour, though was cooked as requested and the Caesar's sauce is good.
Drink - they devoted a whole page on their menu to their "Bloody Caesar" so I tried it out. It's just a plain caesar and I've had better. I also didn't like that they brought it without a straw (any drink with ice should have a straw) which is a bit shocking for a place so dedicated to etiquette.
Pricing - not really worth it to me, as I can find a more satisfying dining experience for far less money. I had a great meal at Vintage Chophouse...heck, even the Keg does a better job at a lower price point.
I can see why it remains a Calgary institution, but it's not for me, and if you're much of a foodie at all, it's probably not for you either.

AndyL
12-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Probably not beyond baller approved... but mikes in airdrie few doors down from 5guys...

Service has been great every time, food is much better than the Montana's, keg, etc.

ducaudi
12-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm going to say Carver's inside the Sheraton 32nd Ave NE is a pretty good place for steak. They've had off evenings in terms of food quality for me. But usually they're great. The salad is made in front of you and it tastes amazing! Chocolate dipped strawberries to end off a steak dinner is done right in my books.

heavyfuel
12-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Probably not beyond baller approved... but mikes in airdrie few doors down from 5guys...

Service has been great every time, food is much better than the Montana's, keg, etc.

You go for the food or do you go to floss your car and clothes? Fuck these "baller approved" places lol

Never been to the Airdrie one but the Red Deer location has always been great.

Sorath
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
could it be? gts jeff back from the dead?

+1 for vintage

sillysod
12-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

NEVER feel bad or be afraid to send food back at a good restaurant. They're not going to be upset, call you picky, screw with your food, or any of the usual worries people seem to have.
Any Chef worth their salt is just going to curse themselves for letting food get sent out improperly, and do what they can to fix the problem.
Main goal of a chef is to make customers happy. If you leave a restaurant unsatisfied, you're doing neither yourself or the restaurant justice.

I worked in a restaurant to pay for school. I can tell you that if it was busy the kitchen staff would screw with your food.

In "keg" type restaurant or better, I don't think twice about sending something back, but in a Pub or even a cactus club/joeys/etc type theres not a hope I'm sending it back.

On the steak note, I found that the Red Carpet generally has a pretty good steak.

taemo
12-03-2012, 04:08 PM
i still have to find a really good steak in Calgary, Mercato almost has it but damn their steak is bathed in salt.

La Brezza steak is fairly decent
Jaquelinne Suzanne Bistro prime rib is pretty good too, although a little on the salty side

heavyfuel
12-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by taemo
i still have to find a really good steak in Calgary

That's cuz you gotta got to Vancouver or Montreal if you want a REAL high end dining experience.

Disoblige
12-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Another divine night at Vintage. I've decided it's my favorite steakhouse in Calgary.

Tenderloin (rare) is always my favorite, especially with the creamy peppercorn sauce.
Crab cakes are great too.

Consistency is key.