PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler 2.2L turbo II or 2.5L

n03l
02-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Hey dodge fans been doing some reading about these small but supposably amazing little engines. Some people are saying the 2.2 turbo II is the strongest and some are saying the 2.5 is. Just hoping to get some feed back from people that know bout these engines.

Thanks

1badPT
02-11-2004, 06:38 PM
I dunno if he checks this part of the forum, but you may want to message 90_Shelby with that question.

Here is the last post he made:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36125

finboy
02-11-2004, 07:01 PM
2.5, good shit

in an omni it doesn't really matter, traction is a bitch either way, but if you start blowing shit up, 2.5's are all over the junkyard, 2.2 common blocked motors, not so much.

the 2.2 has a forged crank, but i have yet to hear of ANY cast crank failures in town...or anywhere. plus the forged crank adds 7 pounds of rotating mass (equivilant of 70 extra pounds onto the whole car).

rods are the same, but the 2.5 is a little more detonation prone (just supply enough fuel, and tune it on the dyno, toma has a turbo omni so that'll be right up his alley).

since your car is an 88 and uses the smec style wiring harness, converting to a 2.5 wiring set up is as easy as using a 2.5 computer out of any 88+ t1 car (avoid minivans as they have a 180km/h speed limiter).

if you still need the pinout for which wires need modding, i can probably track it down, plus i have the old computer harness sitting around that i'm not using, if you want it, come pick it up (shoot me a pm for more info).

damn i wish i still had my omni :(

Boost Infested
02-11-2004, 07:02 PM
the newer 2.5 89+ have same rods, block, head. the only difference is pistons size and crank shaft.

wanna buy a 91 daytona shelby?:)

was moded, she back to bone stock with a new engine.
http://members.shaw.ca/Boost-f/New%20Pics/DSCN1211%20.JPG

angierideswitme
02-11-2004, 07:02 PM
the 2.5 is a good engine non the less. With some pistons these things can make more power then you can believe.

finboy
02-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
the newer 2.5 89+ have same rods, block, head. the only difference is pistons size and crank shaft.

wanna buy a 91 daytona shelby?:)

was moded, she back to bone stock with a new engine.
http://members.shaw.ca/Boost-f/New%20Pics/DSCN1211%20.JPG

:bigpimp:

illeagle
02-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Hey, those OZ's would look pimp on a silver going Blue dodge spirit......

finboy
02-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
Hey, those OZ's would look pimp on a silver going Blue dodge spirit......

18's are too bling for me, price of tires would KILL me :eek:

T5_X
02-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested

??? In comparison to what? The 89+ common block 2.2s?

The turbo IIs from 87-88 have a WEAK block. The bottom end may take anything you throw at it, but the block won't. That is the real weak poit of TII cars from those years, everything else in the powertrain is good to go though.

The 89+ 2.5 is the way to go without a doubt. Remove the balance shafts and you'll be making more power than the 2.2, with more streetable power in the lower end. People gush over the TII forged cranks, but unless you're making retarded amounts of power, the cast won't give out on you.

These are JUST for the engines themselves though. If you're looking at getting an entire car, a TII is a better place to start on a budget because of the better externals it comes with (bigger turbo, A555 tranny, intercooler etc)

finboy
02-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

??? In comparison to what? The 89+ common block 2.2s?

The turbo IIs from 87-88 have a WEAK block. The bottom end may take anything you throw at it, but the block won't. That is the real weak poit of TII cars from those years, everything else in the powertrain is good to go though.

The 89+ 2.5 is the way to go without a doubt. Remove the balance shafts and you'll be making more power than the 2.2, with more streetable power in the lower end. People gush over the TII forged cranks, but unless you're making retarded amounts of power, the cast won't give out on you.

These are JUST for the engines themselves though. If you're looking at getting an entire car, a TII is a better place to start on a budget because of the better externals it comes with (bigger turbo, A555 tranny, intercooler etc)

true, a t2 omni can be put togeather pretty easily if you have a complete t2 drivetrain.

otherwise...

-a523, weaker than the 555 (endplated) but stronger then the 520, and when you blow it up, there are tonnes in the wrecker
-2.5, always good to have
-Mitsu is good for street use, might as well run it till you save up cash for a hybrid
-MOPAR HEAD GASKET!!!!!

90_Shelby
02-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by T5_X

Has anyone ever broken a 2.2 Block? I've never heard of it and I can't see one breaking anytime soon.......

finboy
02-12-2004, 06:32 PM
the motor out of jermy's daytona, cracked BADLY

90_Shelby
02-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by finboy
the motor out of jermy's daytona, cracked BADLY

From What? Being overpowered?

I had a 2.5 block crack badly aswell but it had nothing to do with a lack of block rigidity.

LancerShelby
02-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

From What? Being overpowered?

I had a 2.5 block crack badly aswell but it had nothing to do with a lack of block rigidity. Mike, you had another one crack because YOU HIT IT WITH A BIG FUCKIN' SLEDGE HAMMER :nut:

Turbo dodge's are JUNK

redx2nv
02-13-2004, 02:53 AM
The 2.5 motor is GREAT!!!!!!

I am/was running 2.5 turbo(30000kms)in my 89 tona with 15LBS of boost, non intercooled on 89 OCTANE. Ran fine till run fine right now, the only problem is that chrsyler built the car so shitty(im having problems with the starter relay).

firas91
02-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Man Kevin, what's up with you and brakes! I swear, you have a hard on for brakes!!! hahahaha :)
First your lude upgrade and now these! Damn boy, you should work on other people's brakes ;) ;)

RT16V
02-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

Has anyone ever broken a 2.2 Block? I've never heard of it and I can't see one breaking anytime soon.......

Yep, I've heard of & seen (in pictures) at least a dozen broken pre-common block turbo blocks.

The early turbo blocks were not as rigid as the "common-block", and when really pushed there was apparently significant 'flex'. This is one of the reasons that the TII engines went with a forged crank.

n03l
02-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Been doing a little research and I believe the 2.5 turbo is the engine of choice (for me that is). In my reading I've found that it spits out massive ammounts of torque at low RPM which isnt a bad thing. This allows me to launch really quickly. It also is capable of spitting out high HP, though at very high RPM. For a little omni, I think torque is more important than HP. Thanks for everyone's input and please feel free to keep adding comments. I'm still learning a lot about these engines.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/5/web/221000-221999/221020_7.jpg
:thumbsup: