PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Zombie Scenario

sexualbanana
10-23-2012, 09:38 AM
So far, virtually every piece of work in the zombie genre assumes that the concept of the living dead is completely foreign. Thus, mass panic and lack of knowledge is rampant.

Since we live in a world where we have zombie fiction, movies, comics, etc. How do you see the world reacting to a zombie apocalypse?

Ie. If you saw a reliable video where a corpse came back to life and started gnawing on someone. Would you draw on your pre-existing knowledge of zombie lore (whether it's effective or not is irrelevant)? Or simply revert back to knowing nothing?

Tik-Tok
10-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Are you asking if people would somehow purposefully forget what they "know"? Is that even humanly possible?

spikerS
10-23-2012, 09:46 AM
I assume nothing, and keep fat friends and people around me. I just have to out run them until I can load up on and 8ga shotgun and deer slugs, a chainsaw, a louisville slugger and a double bladed battle axe.

bulaian
10-23-2012, 09:53 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1p4u8CfXW1qz84pso1_500.png

D'z Nutz
10-23-2012, 10:09 AM
If there was an actual zombie outbreak, I'd imagine it'd be over pretty easily just due to the sheer numbers of video game players and zombie genre fans who've always wanted to try something they saw in a game or on tv.

Tik-Tok
10-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
If there was an actual zombie outbreak, I'd imagine it'd be over pretty easily just due to the sheer numbers of video game players and zombie genre fans who've always wanted to try something they saw in a game or on tv.

That would be true, if it wasn't for the fact that most video game players and zombie genre fans would shit their pants and run in panic during a real confrontation.

sexualbanana
10-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Are you asking if people would somehow purposefully forget what they "know"? Is that even humanly possible?

Say if you saw some shit go down with zombies. Would you immediately draw on the things you've read/watched from zombie fiction and be like:
'Aim for the brain'
'Be as quiet as possible'
'This guy's dead, and he might turn'

Like in Walking Dead where the prisoners tried to prison riot the zombies but obviously did nothing to them.

Supa Dexta
10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
I was thinking of this on the last ep, when they are describing what they are to the prisoners, its assumed they have no knowledge of zombies to compare it to.

-relk-
10-23-2012, 10:16 AM
I would just hope that they are the slow ass type of zombies.

If they are superhuman fast, we are fucked. With all the info out on zombies right now, I think many people would react in a good way (ie, aim for the head, grab the kitchen knife and start stabbing, etc..)

Then again, I don't think zombies would do well in the winter...

flipstah
10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
What if the assumptions we all know were wrong?! :cry:

"Aim for the coccyx!"

supe
10-23-2012, 10:25 AM
I think in the beginning when we still highly outnumber them it would be kind of fun... you get to bash their brains outs. But if you were one of the few survivors I could see life being pretty grim.

D'z Nutz
10-23-2012, 10:29 AM

That would be true, if it wasn't for the fact that most video game players and zombie genre fans would shit their pants and run in panic during a real confrontation.

Haha that's a pretty good point.

If it were me, I'd definitely be out on the streets picking a few off and laughing about it. It'd be a nice change from shooting up paper targets. Of course, with my shitty aim the only zombies I'd be killing are the ones doing handstands :rofl:

wintonyk
10-23-2012, 11:24 AM
My buddy just posted this on FB.
Quantitative Modeling Based On Zombie Attack (http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/utoday/october19-2012/modeling)

To start with like many said it could be fun. Likewise I don't think zombies would fair too well in days like today.

sexualbanana
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by wintonyk
My buddy just posted this on FB.
Quantitative Modeling Based On Zombie Attack (http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/utoday/october19-2012/modeling)

To start with like many said it could be fun. Likewise I don't think zombies would fair too well in days like today.

Yeah I read that this morning. It's probably way over my head, but it looks like it'd be a fun way to try to learn this stuff

EK 2.0
10-23-2012, 12:00 PM
The things that go through your head gavin haha....

rockwolf2001
10-23-2012, 12:13 PM
i feel like no matter how prepared people feel they are, it doesn't help.

as soon as their is one infected, that number will grow exponentially, and by the time people have realized that it actually is a zombie infestation, it will be too late

our government won't make a decision on what to do for at least a couple of weeks at the earliest, and by then the infestation could have spread on an entire continent.

the difficulty is how it would cross water to infest more people

lilmira
10-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Remind me to have a copy of Zombieland on my phone so that I can recap the rules.

DJ Lazy
10-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by rockwolf2001
i feel like no matter how prepared people feel they are, it doesn't help.

as soon as their is one infected, that number will grow exponentially, and by the time people have realized that it actually is a zombie infestation, it will be too late

our government won't make a decision on what to do for at least a couple of weeks at the earliest, and by then the infestation could have spread on an entire continent.

the difficulty is how it would cross water to infest more people

Take that guy that was eating that other guys face in Florida, cops were on the scene pretty quick. Had that been a "real" zombie outbreak, the one got shot and killed, and the other would have died, come back to "life" and then likely been shot as well when he tries to charge the cops. Both dead, Outbreak Contained. In a perfect world.

As for getting across the water... Zombies on a Plane. :dunno:

JRSC00LUDE
10-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Hmmm......so the question is if something fictional happened would you employ all the fictional (and therefore completely unproven) ways of dealing with the fictional situation or would you forget all that fictional knowledge and revert to reality?

Edit - And who is to say the video would be credible? We're still debating bigfoot and ufo videos back to the 50's! We'd be sitting here arguing its validity for three days while the world fell apart.

This brain bender is sliding out of control. :nut:

:winter:

sexualbanana
10-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Hmmm......so the question is if something fictional happened would you employ all the fictional (and therefore completely unproven) ways of dealing with the fictional situation or would you forget all that fictional knowledge and revert to reality?

Didn't do a great job wording it the first time, but yeah.

So far, all these works in the genre seem to indicate that the idea of zombies are completely out of the realm of cultural knowledge. Like their world had no George Romero, Resident Evil, or Walking Dead comics or shows.

But since our reality obviously has this kind of knowledge, do you think it would help us in the initial stages of a zombie apocalypse?

Ie. Because of the genre, we know not to walk or stand too close next to corpses, and that we should probably aim for the head.

Kijho
10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
DOUBLE TAP BOYS!!!!

JRSC00LUDE
10-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
Because of the genre, we know not to walk or stand too close next to corpses, and that we should probably aim for the head.

My question is - how can there be different levels of undead? I think it's a flaw in the whole zombie killing scenario.

How do you know aiming for head will do anything at all? I suppose if you blow its head off then it wouldn't be able to see you or smell you or eat you but, how can you kill what's already dead?

D'z Nutz
10-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Kijho
DOUBLE TAP BOYS!!!!

This is the Hypothetical Zombie Scenario thread, not the Hypothetical Catholic Priest Scenario.

EK 2.0
10-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

This is the Hypothetical Zombie Scenario thread, not the Hypothetical Catholic Priest Scenario.

http://www.zz22.net/philzone/other_stuff_2011/messages/700694/675061.gif

Kloubek
10-23-2012, 03:36 PM
The problem is lack of reliable information.

Do you or do you not get transformed if you are bitten? Are they slow like in "Night of the living dead", or are they fast like in "28 days later"? Do they need to eat or will they die off without bodies to chew on? Do the movies have it right that they are decomposing... and if so, how do they get their strength and are they just going to turn into a pile of mush after several days?

Until we can have a movie or show that definitively reveals the TRUTH about these zombies, I don't think any of us would be wise to draw on them for knowledge.

treg50
10-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah good points, I'd stand the f back and try to see what their abilities are. What if u tried to walk up to one and attack the head like Walking Dead style but then all of a sudden the mofo crouches and lunges at you instead of just standing there.

Tik-Tok
10-24-2012, 05:46 PM
http://www.runforyourlives.com/

eKEVbC0GiUg

sexualbanana
10-25-2012, 04:46 PM
http://www.runforyourlives.com/

eKEVbC0GiUg

I saw the commercial but couldn't remember what the website was. Sweet.

Adrenaline101
10-25-2012, 08:05 PM
I would be immediately unpinning all my 5/30 round .223 magazines, loading the box of my truck full of 9, 45, and 223 and heading for my work with its 8' chain link fences to wait and see how things go.
With the stash of heavy equipment, diesel fuel, zombie-proof shop doors and well water I would have plenty of time to figure out just how to get by and take them down.

Yes this has been discussed on more than one occasion after a few beer :poosie:

Moonracer
10-26-2012, 08:36 AM
The run for your lives zombie race would be awesome. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JC522
10-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Let's say there were 1 or 2 zombies at initial outbreak and it's not in the media yet and you're attacked and happen to kill 1. Wouldn't someone call the cops on you and have you arrested since it's not common knowledge of a zombie outbreak yet?

shakalaka
10-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Shot to the head is such a standard thing though. Everyone know's that's where the brain is, so if you want to take someone out really quick, you shoot them in the head. Zombie or not.

flipstah
10-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by JC522
Let's say there were 1 or 2 zombies at initial outbreak and it's not in the media yet and you're attacked and happen to kill 1. Wouldn't someone call the cops on you and have you arrested since it's not common knowledge of a zombie outbreak yet?

You'll be either known as a crazy or a hero once the other one goes bananas.

Originally posted by shakalaka
Shot to the head is such a standard thing though. Everyone know's that's where the brain is, so if you want to take someone out really quick, you shoot them in the head. Zombie or not.

That's the thing; zombies aren't standard protocol. You can't logically say that shooting the brain will make it stop. The fact that the undead is roaming the streets defies science.

Unless zombies are just nervous systems 'twitching' after you're dead...

Over-analyzing this. Just jog and double-tap.

Dumbass17
10-29-2012, 04:48 AM
it's how i want to go out
i want to be able to pick em off from my balcony and have some awesome hand to hand combat...a little Walking Dead style survival for a year or so and then i want to get bitten and start chasing humans

seriously, that would be way better than turning 80 and croaking

spikerS
10-29-2012, 06:26 AM
I don't know. Shooting something already dead might only make it flinch.

I still subscribe to the theory that if you nail it in the head, while it probably won't stop it, at least you can damage it to the point it can't eat you, thus not infecting you.

My plan, shoot the fucker, then chop em into a million pieces with my axe, then burn it with FIRE!

Baygirl put this on my FB profile yesterday....
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/599329_429471773767547_1542975585_n.jpg

DeleriousZ
10-29-2012, 08:26 AM
You guys are way behind the times.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kfZ29lrGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survival-Guide-Complete-Protection/dp/1400049628

Tik-Tok
10-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

The fact that the undead is roaming the streets defies science.

Nano-bots man, I'm fucking telling you!

Heru-Farukon
10-29-2012, 09:39 AM

Nano-bots man, I'm fucking telling you!
Well stated in the walking dead thread. :clap:

And for me, I'll probably do a video blog /dairy thing about how this is actually happening. And do some awesome hand to hand combat like walking dead style. Then shoot them if they won't go down

Unless the zombies have different tiers like Left 4 dead. Then I'll consider myself fucked lol

dj_patm
10-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Hate to burst you bubble but...

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html