PDA

View Full Version : Review: The Embarcadero Wine & Oyster Bar

Gondi Stylez
02-11-2004, 06:13 PM
Anybody heard anything about this place?

I made reservations for Saturday because there menu looks pretty good and the prices are very reasonable as well!

Here is the information I found at www.calgary.com

Oyster Lovers Take Note
Named after the waterfront district in San Francisco, this red brick house, beside Eds, one block west of the Saddledome, offers a main floor wine bar and dining room, a second-floor non-smoking dining room, and a great little south-facing brick-paved patio for relaxing in the summertime.

The name Embarcadero means "warf" or "landing place" in Spanish so it is no surprise that the ambiance is European.

The Food
The wine bar and restaurant specializes in good food, excellent wine and intimate dining. The wine list changes on a regular basis and wine lovers might want to make note of the fact several of their "specially selected" wines can be bought by the glass.

Another speciality is their oyster menu. They feature at least six varieties of fresh Atlantic and Pacific oysters on an almost year-round basis from Atlantic Canada to the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. Prices vary from $1.25 to $2.50 depending on the type and season.

The full menu features a mixture of appetizers, salads, pastas, meat dishes and desserts. Choose from corn crab chowder ($6.50) to Dungeness crab cake or scallops ($8.95). Organic mixed greens ($6.95) to prawn saute spinach, soya dressing, red pepper and Mango ($10.95). Crepe cannelloin ($12.50 to angel hair pasta with grilled lobster tail ($19.95). Oven-roasted quail ($18.75) to New Zealand rack of lamb ($27.95).

Finish the meal off with one of several delightful desserts like cappuccino cheesecake ($5.95) to chocolate pate amour ($8.95).

They also offer a selection of finger foods for those people dropping by before or after a Saddledome event.

But if anyone has any experience with this place then let me know, but ill probably end up going then post my review after! Thanks!!

RickDaTuner
02-11-2004, 06:39 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

well I now Know the place I'll be propousing(sp?) to my future wife..

EK 2.0
02-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Its great, I have no complaints about it at all...

Gondi Stylez
02-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

well I now Know the place I'll be propousing(sp?) to my future wife..

:thumbsup: but personally i would be a bit more romantic!! :D

Originally posted by CycloneAWD
Its great, I have no complaints about it at all...

sweet thanx!!

jdmakkord
02-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Great food!!! Been there for a few wine and sherry tastings.....mmmmm Tapa's.

RSeXy
02-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Wow! Sounds amazing...le sighs...:(

I will have to sucker my friend into taking me. mwhaha! :devil:

XylathaneGTR
02-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Hmmm, yeah, usually i goto Ed's next door, but i've been wondering about Embacadero...
I'll definitly have to check it out sometime...

Gondi Stylez
02-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Ok, well I was there on V-day and I have to say that it was an excellent experience! Great food, amazing oysters, desert was just like paris and the atmosphere was very nice and romantic! the service was very good also considering that they were very busy! So all in all I must say that I will go back again and again!

I only have two complaints and I am going to forget them because it was very busy and second it was not THAT big of a deal! The first one, salad's and oysters came late, about 40 fter we had placed the order and usually courses should be between 20-30 apart from placing the order/dishes cleared in most if not all resturants! Second was that the bread came with the salad when it should have come first and there was no butter and the bread wasn't that warm, only luke-warm and that is just sub-par! Oh well, not enough to not go back, but will see on a "Regular" day and see how it goes!

Also, if anyone has been to Paris and has had that quality of chocolate mousse then you should check out the mousse here! By far the BEST chocolate mousse I have had in Clagary to date! Only difference is that it was a little sweeter!

Now for my ratings:

Food: 9/10
Portions: 8.5/10
Ambiance: 9.5/10
Restaurant Presentation: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Prices compared to Quality: 9.5/10 (Excellent bang for your buck, My dinner $85 4 Courses w/ drinks!)

BebeAphrodite
02-22-2004, 12:52 PM
I LOVE embarcadero!! I LOVE oysters.. and they even serve kushi (the only place I've found it in Calgary). The kumamotos are awesome as well.. but I still love my kushi!
The steaks are amazng as well!
I give it 5/5 Food
3/5 service
3/5 for ambience