PDA

View Full Version : Random drive tru question.

egmilano
10-24-2012, 08:53 AM
So here's a question for you guys, do you need to stop when exiting a drive thru ? I've almost been t boned 3 times in the past week by people not giving an ef when leaving timmies lol this morning the girl rolled down her window and yelled at me. . I wasn't speeding it's a parking lot !

Tik-Tok
10-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Since a parking lot is treated with the same rules as the road, and if there's no stop sign for anyone, you have to yield to the person on your right. If they're on your left, they're supposed to yield to you.

Having said that, some common sense will stop you from getting t-boned, and just let traffic by until you can get out.

Masked Bandit
10-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Since a parking lot is treated with the same rules as the road, and if there's no stop sign for anyone, you have to yield to the person on your right. If they're on your left, they're supposed to yield to them.

Having said that, some common sense will stop you from getting t-boned, and just let traffic by until you can get out.

I've actually been bit on this before. The whole "yield to the right" rule is not the case. You must yield to the person on the more main lane (bad wording but you get the idea). Years ago I had a friend of mine in this exact situation and the lady was coming from his left and hit my friend on the driver side. I told him there was nothing to worry about, she didn't yield to the right, she will be at fault. Well a couple of days later the adjuster politely corrected me and my friend was 100% at fault.

If you're leaving the drive through you must yield to traffic in the main part of the parking lot. I guess it's just like pulling on to any other road from say a driveway. It's not actually an intersection.

Tik-Tok
10-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

If you're leaving the drive through you must yield to traffic in the main part of the parking lot. I guess it's just like pulling on to any other road from say a driveway. It's not actually an intersection.

Hmm, I suppose a drive-through would be considered an alley, so I stand corrected.

(a) “alley” means a narrow highway intended chiefly to give
access to the rear of buildings and parcels of land

So yeah, you gotta yield to everyone.

speedog
10-24-2012, 09:16 AM
It's Timmies - everyone is on edge when there, it's like road rage central whenever one gets to within a half block of a Tim Hortons.

Masked Bandit
10-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by speedog
It's Timmies - everyone is on edge when there, it's like road rage central whenever one gets to within a half block of a Tim Hortons.

Truth!

The people that haven't made it there yet are in a zombie like state, not paying attention and the people that are leaving are all jacked up on caffeine. Bad times either way!

-relk-
10-24-2012, 09:39 AM

I've actually been bit on this before. The whole "yield to the right" rule is not the case. You must yield to the person on the more main lane (bad wording but you get the idea). Years ago I had a friend of mine in this exact situation and the lady was coming from his left and hit my friend on the driver side. I told him there was nothing to worry about, she didn't yield to the right, she will be at fault. Well a couple of days later the adjuster politely corrected me and my friend was 100% at fault.

How does someone prove that one road is more "main" than another? Especially in a parking lot? I am referring more to an actual intersection than a driveway.

Thanks for this example though, I have always thought that at uncontrolled intersections, the yield to the right rule was always the rule used. I remember learning that in drivers ed, and later realizing that its a stupid rule to teach, because noone actually follows it.

cream
10-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by -relk-

Thanks for this example though, I have always thought that at uncontrolled intersections, the yield to the right rule was always the rule used. I remember learning that in drivers ed, and later realizing that its a stupid rule to teach, because noone actually follows it.

That is still the correct rule at uncontrolled intersections. This case is different. And I hope I speak for many others on here when I say we still follow that rule. They teach it at driver's ed because its an instant fail if you don't do it. Most people just forget about it..

89s1
10-25-2012, 10:04 PM
If I was driving along the lane in a parking lot I would expect to have the right of way over the cars coming out of the rows, or the guy coming out of tims.

The "more main" road rule makes perfect sense to me.

even though there is technically more traffic flow through the tims drive thru it still isn't the main route of travel through the parking lot.

Masked Bandit
10-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by -relk-

How does someone prove that one road is more "main" than another? Especially in a parking lot? I am referring more to an actual intersection than a driveway.

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a messy set up for sure. But the drive-through is essentially an alley leading onto a regular roadway. When leaving an alley, it's not an uncontrolled intersection. The whole "yield to the right" at an uncontrolled intersection still applies for regular roads. Parking lots are not roads though.

DeleriousZ
10-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Which timmies was it at? The one that's by my work (61st and barlow) has a stop sign at the exit of the drive thru. Didn't even realize it was there until my roommate stopped at it lol. This probably solves most drive thru exit issues.

egmilano
10-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Crowfoot tim's, I understand that its hard to see when leaving the drive thru but inch up and look, don't just gun it and nearly t bone a person ! yikes

AE92_TreunoSC
10-27-2012, 02:40 PM
The Burger King in conventry has a wicked blind spot that has people shooting out of it haha. I always freak out when I'm leaving the timmys and see headlights coming at me :P

spikerS
10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
The Burger King in conventry has a wicked blind spot that has people shooting out of it haha. I always freak out when I'm leaving the timmys and see headlights coming at me :P

yeah, I hate the BK drive through exit there.

Even worse though is the entrance to the timmies drive through. 3 different lanes all trying to get into the drive through causing quite the clusterfuck in the mornings.

AE92_TreunoSC
10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by spikers

yeah, I hate the BK drive through exit there.

Even worse though is the entrance to the timmies drive through. 3 different lanes all trying to get into the drive through causing quite the clusterfuck in the mornings.

I feel guilty in the drive thru there, even when I'm in the correct order. I usually just go in. People are much more friendly in the standing line. It's a freaking free-for-all in any timmies line as people have mentioned.

syritis
10-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by cream

That is still the correct rule at uncontrolled intersections. This case is different. And I hope I speak for many others on here when I say we still follow that rule. They teach it at driver's ed because its an instant fail if you don't do it. Most people just forget about it..

truth, there is no such thing as the "more main lane" rule. an uncontrolled intersection is implied as a 3-4 way yield. if there is oncoming traffic it becomes a 3-4 way stop. person who stops has the right away. or the person on the right if both vehicles stop at the same time.

however in this case an "alley" is not considered an intersection. you must yield.

where this more main lane rule came from I have no idea but it's dangerous. if a person stops at the uncontrolled intersection they now have the right of way but the other person figure that because you're stopped they have the right of way and drive into you fuckin door like the god dam dukes of hazard because the province doesn't required them to know a thing about driving before being given a government issued certification of competency for said driving!!!!!! .....fuck i hate people.

403Gemini
10-27-2012, 05:13 PM

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a messy set up for sure. But the drive-through is essentially an alley leading onto a regular roadway. When leaving an alley, it's not an uncontrolled intersection. The whole "yield to the right" at an uncontrolled intersection still applies for regular roads. Parking lots are not roads though.

It certainly is a grey area for sure, but in parking lots the rule is (i believe) yield to any vehicle on the main thoroughfare , therefor exiting a drive through must yield to the traffic on the 'main' road(main thoroughfare)

DEATH2000
10-28-2012, 12:43 AM

I wish i knew that back in 2009. I was on the "main road" going into the Walmart in Shawnessy and a guy on my right pulled out in front me and i couldnt stop in time. He claimed he thought i had a stop sign when I didnt, but I was so close to him when he pulled out their was no way I could have stopped. His fault for not judging distances IMO. His insurance company ended up paying for everything though, but they refused to pay for the rental car i had for two weeks while the damage was sorted out. They claimed I didnt approve the repairs "in time" so they werent responsible for the costs. However, i was in Edmonton for a couple days when the damage appraisal was completed, and I had no intention of blinding signing off on something i had not seen first hand.

Dilmah
10-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by syritis

truth, there is no such thing as the "more main lane" rule. an uncontrolled intersection is implied as a 3-4 way yield. if there is oncoming traffic it becomes a 3-4 way stop. person who stops has the right away. or the person on the right if both vehicles stop at the same time.

however in this case an "alley" is not considered an intersection. you must yield.

where this more main lane rule came from I have no idea but it's dangerous. if a person stops at the uncontrolled intersection they now have the right of way but the other person figure that because you're stopped they have the right of way and drive into you fuckin door like the god dam dukes of hazard because the province doesn't required them to know a thing about driving before being given a government issued certification of competency for said driving!!!!!! .....fuck i hate people.

This, adding that if the intersection is uncontrolled and one of the roads has a yellow line separating traffic then that road has the right of way.