PDA

View Full Version : Looking to pickup a bike over winter

Boosted131
10-25-2012, 08:47 AM
What's the best way to test a bike during the winter months to see if they are working good? My buddy was saying get one now because they drop in price a lot . Just not sure how I can make sure everything works.

Looking for something like a r6, gsxr

swak
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Turn it on... Not many (if any) will let you test pilot anyways.

Boosted131
10-25-2012, 10:26 AM
How to tell if the clutch or tranny isn't slipping/ doesn't shift etc?

swak
10-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Boosted131
How to tell if the clutch or tranny isn't slipping/ doesn't shift etc?

You ask the seller.

*or if you're really ambitious, bring it to a mechanic

ercchry
10-25-2012, 11:31 AM
wait for a chinook? :dunno:

Boosted131
10-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by swak

You ask the seller.

*or if you're really ambitious, bring it to a mechanic It's hard to trust randoms after my "ya the 4x4 works great " incident. Maybe they are selling in winter when something's wrong and won't be noticed

swak
10-25-2012, 11:42 AM
It's hard to trust randoms after my "ya the 4x4 works great " incident. Maybe they are selling in winter when something's wrong and won't be noticed

This is very very very true.

Thats why you gotta be careful with this....
Pro-Tip #1: dont buy a high milage bike. Eliminate such problems from arising.

I bought my bike off the lot - never got a chance to ride it or so much turn it over before i signed the bill of sale

I sold my bike to a guy who bought it from BC - drove to Calgary to pick it up sight unseen.
He paid me, then he really checked it out.

Boosted131
10-25-2012, 11:44 AM
How is 3500 for a 2006 ninja 600 with 20k? Needs a rear tire

SJW
10-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Sounds low. My 2006 gsxr 750 with 26000km on it would probably go for about 5000-5500 and it's mint.

ddduke
10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
How is 3500 for a 2006 ninja 600 with 20k? Needs a rear tire
That's a good price but I'd wait until the second or third week of january to buy. I'll likely grab atleast 2 at that time. So many people are desperate for money and prices of bikes are already low during winter and the deals are insane. Last year I got a a 04 zx6r with 20 k that needed a tire for $1200, I didn't even ride it because it was too small for me, just changed the rear tire/oil and sold it early season.

Originally posted by SJW
Sounds low. My 2006 gsxr 750 with 26000km on it would probably go for about 5000-5500 and it's mint.

Sounds low because you're putting too high of a value on your bike and while it probably would sell at this price it would probably take 2 months + to sell.

In that price range you can get this and IMO this is 10 times the machine:
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2006-Triumph-Speed-Triple-W0QQAdIdZ386917003

KeepItGully
10-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Last year I got a a 04 zx6r with 20 k that needed a tire for $1200, I didn't even ride it because it was too small for me, just changed the rear tire/oil and sold it early season.

:drool: :eek:

Wow.

Graham_A_M
10-25-2012, 03:41 PM

That's a good price but I'd wait until the second or third week of january to buy. I'll likely grab atleast 2 at that time. So many people are desperate for money and prices of bikes are already low during winter and the deals are insane. Last year I got a a 04 zx6r with 20 k that needed a tire for $1200, I didn't even ride it because it was too small for me, just changed the rear tire/oil and sold it early season.

Sounds low because you're putting too high of a value on your bike and while it probably would sell at this price it would probably take 2 months + to sell.

In that price range you can get this and IMO this is 10 times the machine:
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-sport-bikes-2006-Triumph-Speed-Triple-W0QQAdIdZ386917003
^ Yeah that is nuts.

$1200? fucks sakes... wow. Please PM me if you find any more deals like that that if you're not able to pick them up. I sure as hell will. Good Choice on the Triumph, I'd rock that 1000X before I would an '06 ZX6R.

OP: To test the clutch? If its in the garage, put it in first while holding the front & rear brakes. Let out the clutch slowly. If the engine doesn't seriously lug and almost die, then the clutch is very well on its way out. You can still put it through all the gears while parked in the garage when its running as well.

But I'd highly recommend taking it to Blackfoot, The old motorcycle shop, or Redline to have them inspect it for you. Its $150 or so, but can save you boat loads of cash in the event it was crashed and poorly repaired (etc etc).

Either that, or I can come check it out with you. In my 23years of riding (and wrenching) I know bikes quite well and can spot issues very quickly.

Stunt66
10-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Not sure if this would work but if you have rear stands you can install spools on the bike your looking at and jack up the rear tire. once its off the ground run it through a couple gears at low speeds. (This is only an idea so im not saying its going to work) Like others have said stick with low km bikes and you're more than likely to be safe.

Boosted131
10-25-2012, 09:56 PM
That triumph looks pretty awesome, I don't know much about bikes, other than dirtbikes since that's all I ride.

Graham_A_M
10-25-2012, 10:34 PM
^ Do it. For the first time, I was thoroughly sick of Jap bikes, since thats all I owned since I was 6. I bought my Daytona 675 new in '07. As far as bikes are concerned, it was the best choice I ever made. I now have 38k on mine, with nothing but praise and respect.

I'd very highly recommend Triumph. Its (by very far) the most fun I've ever had on a bike. Extremely reliable too, I think to date I've spent $1k on maintenance asides from oil changes, which isn't too shabby for 38k, with countless track days on its belt. The mid-range is fucking ridiculous. I'll never touch a jap bike ever again. Its like, pick any gear and twist the throttle. Even at 4k, it'll out pull most of Calgary's "exotic" sports cars. Leave alone plus 10k. Then it just gets stupid. :nut:
I dont know. It feels cool spending a few thousand on a sportbike that'll eat $400-500k Ferrari's & Lambo's for breakfast, and spit out POS Toyota's.

Boosted131
10-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Do it. For the first time, I was thoroughly sick of Jap bikes, since thats all I owned since I was 6. I bought my Daytona 675 new in '07. As far as bikes are concerned, it was the best choice I ever made. I now have 38k on mine, with nothing but praise and respect.

I'd very highly recommend Triumph. Its (by very far) the most fun I've ever had on a bike. Extremely reliable too, I think to date I've spent $1k on maintenance asides from oil changes, which isn't too shabby for 38k, with countless track days on its belt. The mid-range is fucking ridiculous. I'll never touch a jap bike ever again. Its like, pick any gear and twist the throttle. Even at 4k, it'll out pull most of Calgary's "exotic" sports cars. Leave alone plus 10k. Then it just gets stupid. :nut:
I dont know. It feels cool spending a few thousand on a sportbike that'll eat $400-500k Ferrari's & Lambo's for breakfast, and spit out POS Toyota's. Got any pics of yours?

Graham_A_M
10-25-2012, 10:53 PM
^Here.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/263787/07-triumph-daytona-675/
You should take it for a rip. Trust me, you'll forget about Kawasaki very, very quickly. :rofl: :rofl:
I used to be a fan of the green too. I was about to buy a new Z1000 before this bike, but thank god I didn't.

RedlineMS
10-26-2012, 08:06 AM
The 06' ZX6R is a great bike and the price is good if it's in good shape. The 636 engine is bullet proof, and it's one of the bikes stunters like because it is so tough. It has the best midrange of the bunch also. The Triumph is nice also and the 675 engine is also very reliable except for the cam chain tensioner which should be swapped out for a manual one. Not a hard job but we did see someone screw it up and focker his engine. I agree that winter is a good time to buy but also it's a time when sellers like to sell bikes that have issues. IMO, unless you get that super lucky deal, you usually get what you pay for. Check for maintenance issues - fork seals, are the tubes wet or are there signs that they have been leaking and the seller has cleaned them up for you - fix is $400. Chain and sprocket, check for tight spots, a slightly worn rear means an even more worn front - fix is $350 ish, front tire cupped do to improper inflation, check rear tire wear bars, make sure everything electrical works, check the steering stops for hidden crash damage. A crashed bike is not a bad bike, as long as it has been repaired properly. check to see if it was a race bike - which also may not be a bad thing because racers tend to take maintenance seriously but you still need to know and sellers will hardly ever tell you it was used on the track. There are some simple tell tail signs. Don't worry too much about clutch slippage, it doesn't happen too often and it's not that expensive to fix, a few hundred dollars. As was said, you can check in the garage if the clutch is slipping bad. A slipping clutch on a low mileage bike means it was wheelied a lot or the rider just didn't have a clue how to ride. Leaking forks on a low mileage bike can also mean it was wheelied a lot. Anyways buyer beware always at any price - even is the seller is you sisters new boyfriend.

RedlineMS
10-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Stunt66
Not sure if this would work but if you have rear stands you can install spools on the bike your looking at and jack up the rear tire. once its off the ground run it through a couple gears at low speeds. (This is only an idea so im not saying its going to work) Like others have said stick with low km bikes and you're more than likely to be safe.

this is a good suggestion but unfortunately this usually won't work unless the clutch or tranny is already completely busted. With no drag, the tranny or clutch issues won't usually be obvious and you could buy a bike that seems to work but that has early stage problems that could get worse. Riding it or putting it on a dyno really is the only way to test drive train problems.

Boosted131
12-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Is 20,000 km a lot on a Daytona ? I only see one worth cOnsidering on kijiji (yellow 2006)

japan_us
12-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Is 20,000 km a lot on a Daytona ? I only see one worth cOnsidering on kijiji (yellow 2006)

The actual kms aren't that bad (less than 3k/year if it was purchased in 2006), but you have to have it checked out by someone who knows what they're looking at.

A bike with 10,000kms could be worse than a bike with 20,000kms depending on how it was treated.

But, to answer your question, no, 20k is not a lot for that motor if it's been taken care of.

Boosted131
12-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Yea I'd have to have my mechanic check it over.

By the way if anyone sees and decent bikes for a good price send them my way :)

Would like to keep it under 4000

SJW
12-12-2012, 10:56 AM
My suzuki turned 25,000 km and I had Redline check the valves. They weren't out of spec.

I'd have no problem with that Daytona provided everything structurally checked out.

Boosted131
12-14-2012, 11:44 AM
I was reading a lot of negative reviews on the Daytona right off their forum... Thinking of leaning towards the yamahaha again

SkiBum5.0
12-18-2012, 11:41 AM
I've got an 09 Yamaha R6 that I am thinking of selling. Factory stock, winterized and serviced at Redline before being put away. It's Orange and Black with ~9000kms.

Will be above your budget but thought I would throw it out there. PM for a price.

ddduke
12-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
I've got an 09 Yamaha R6 that I am thinking of selling. Factory stock, winterized and serviced at Redline before being put away. It's Orange and Black with ~9000kms.

Will be above your budget but thought I would throw it out there. PM for a price.

He'll just message you, low ball you like crazy, then talk shit to you because he's too broke to afford anything and wants a retarded deal. Then 2 weeks later when he still hasn't found anything he'll come back and talk shit again. Don't even bother pm'ing this troll.

SkiBum5.0
12-18-2012, 12:21 PM

He'll just message you, low ball you like crazy, then talk shit to you because he's too broke to afford anything and wants a retarded deal. Then 2 weeks later when he still hasn't found anything he'll come back and talk shit again. Don't even bother pm'ing this troll.

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut.

Only reason I am thinking about selling mine is to clear garage space for an e90 M3. Better half says I only get half the garage :thumbsdow

Boosted131
12-18-2012, 12:58 PM

He'll just message you, low ball you like crazy, then talk shit to you because he's too broke to afford anything and wants a retarded deal. Then 2 weeks later when he still hasn't found anything he'll come back and talk shit again. Don't even bother pm'ing this troll. Me? When did I do that ?

How much for the r6 by the way.

Disoblige
12-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Skibum, OP is looking for a bike under 4, when your bike would be almost twice the value. I don't think it would work out.

Boosted131
12-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Yeah around 4000 or trade for one of my wolverines . Already have enough toys that's why I want to keep it around 4000 or under.

SkiBum5.0
12-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Ok sounds good. That's why I was suggesting PM as I didn't want to make this a public sale. The bike would be more than $4000 but not quite double for anyone else that is interested. Good luck with your search.

Graham_A_M
12-19-2012, 08:44 PM
I was reading a lot of negative reviews on the Daytona right off their forum... Thinking of leaning towards the yamahaha again
Really? what did they say? Oddly enough, I know a guy with 160k on his 06, no issues. :dunno: Id love to hear the "points" they brought up.
It doesn't surprise me they'd bash a Triumph on their R6 forum, yet on my Triumph forum, its the exact opposite oddly enough. :rofl:

To each their own.

RedlineMS
12-20-2012, 09:36 AM
The only issue we have seen with the 675 is the cam chain tensioner. It can get between clicks and make a lot of noise. We haven't seen one fail yet and it is a super easy, inexpensive fix to put a manual one in that solves the problem. Just don't do it yourself if you don't know what your doing, we had a customer try it and then we had to charge him a pile of money to install a new motor for him when his cam chain broke and his pistons had a punching match with his valves. The pistons won the fight but not before getting a good shiner and a fat lip.
Overall, the 675 is a pretty solid bike. Just don't crash one, it will be expensive then.

Boosted131
12-21-2012, 12:03 PM
How much is a 2000 cbr600 f4 worth with 36,000km ? Needs chain and sprockets soon (buddies bike)

CLiVE
12-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Haven't read the thread, or know what your budget is....but thinking of selling my 2006 Ducati SS1000. ~6000kms on it if you're interested. Just had belts done, and an oil change.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/schneller13/bike_zps537e5ee8.jpg

GQBalla
12-21-2012, 03:33 PM
just buy my bike

:D

ddduke
12-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Me? When did I do that ?

How much for the r6 by the way.

I have over 50 text from you lowballing. the total conversation is 103 texts long. It's you low balling and talking shit then when I tell you to stop texting me, you kept texting to talk more shit.

I'm pretty sure what you wrote was "I'm an executive, I'm not a poor weekend worker like you, I get paid salary" when I told you to fuck off with your low balls.

Maxx Mazda
12-23-2012, 11:00 AM

I have over 50 text from you lowballing. the total conversation is 103 texts long. It's you low balling and talking shit then when I tell you to stop texting me, you kept texting to talk more shit.

I'm pretty sure what you wrote was "I'm an executive, I'm not a poor weekend worker like you, I get paid salary" when I told you to fuck off with your low balls.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/shit-just-got-real.jpg

Disoblige
12-23-2012, 11:05 AM
LOL!

Maxx Mazda
12-23-2012, 11:22 AM

This conversation needs to be posted.

Boosted131
12-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Huh which bike was yours? Only guy I texted for the bike was the daytOna.

GQBalla
12-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Mmmm he's probably the guy whose emailed twice about trading for a raptor.
Either way I'd let my bike go for four thousand right now. During next season it won't be that price

Boosted131
12-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Mmmm he's probably the guy whose emailed twice about trading for a raptor.
Either way I'd let my bike go for four thousand right now. During next season it won't be that price
Yea not bad, might get a 06 r6 for $4500.

Graham_A_M
12-23-2012, 03:50 PM
^ Dont, 06-08 are years you REALLY want to avoid. Thats the same year as my buddies ('06). His engine spun a crank bearing at 20k a couple years back, and he had to replace the whole engine. $1k later for a used engine out of a crashed bike....:nut:

Yet thats a fairly common problem with those years. Its really russian roulette. I'd avoid one just the same, besides you'll get very sick of the how badly they lack midrange. Its fucking gutless until you get past 8-9k. Only then does it get somewhat exciting. I hated riding his bike, it was very disappointing. Not only that but you also have the electrical issues. Randomly, it just wouldn't start. No idea why, we never figured it out, but you'd have to try to start it 4-5 times over 10 minutes, hopefully one of those times it would actually fire. Most times you'd turn the key and nothing. It did that once every 15-20 or so times you'd try to fire it up.

Thats why I find it quite amusing that a bunch of R6 fanboys would have much of anything bad to say about a D675. I've ridden both extensively, and have seen first hand the issues with both. I have 40k on my D675, still not so much as a single issue.

So I find those vague, non-descript "conclusions" you came to quite funny. :confused:

Boosted131
12-23-2012, 04:36 PM
^ Dont, 06-08 are years you REALLY want to avoid. Thats the same year as my buddies ('06). His engine spun a crank bearing at 20k a couple years back, and he had to replace the whole engine. $1k later for a used engine out of a crashed bike....:nut:

Yet thats a fairly common problem with those years. Its really russian roulette. I'd avoid one just the same, besides you'll get very sick of the how badly they lack midrange. Its fucking gutless until you get past 8-9k. Only then does it get somewhat exciting. I hated riding his bike, it was very disappointing. Not only that but you also have the electrical issues. Randomly, it just wouldn't start. No idea why, we never figured it out, but you'd have to try to start it 4-5 times over 10 minutes, hopefully one of those times it would actually fire. Most times you'd turn the key and nothing. It did that once every 15-20 or so times you'd try to fire it up.

Thats why I find it quite amusing that a bunch of R6 fanboys would have much of anything bad to say about a D675. I've ridden both extensively, and have seen first hand the issues with both. I have 40k on my D675, still not so much as a single issue.

So I find those vague, non-descript "conclusions" you came to quite funny. :confused: Yeah it sounds like a good bike , but there's only one and the guy doesn't answer!

Graham_A_M
12-23-2012, 08:24 PM
^ Im on www.triumph675.net. If you want a good deal, let me know. There are TONS down in the states that go for thousands less then what we have here. Rocky Mountain Honda basically brings all their used bikes up from the states, there are reasons for that. ;)

Let me know what colors you want, aftermarket items, condition, years or whatever and I'll find at least one for you. My best friend wanted one of those pearl white special editions with the blue frame, so I found him a mint 2010 with low miles for $5,800. Up here I'd be surprised to see that exact bike go for less then $8k.

EDIT: here. PM me with a link to any bike you're interested in, and I'll get his contact info & whatever other details for you.
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Boosted131
12-24-2012, 09:50 AM
^ Im on www.triumph675.net. If you want a good deal, let me know. There are TONS down in the states that go for thousands less then what we have here. Rocky Mountain Honda basically brings all their used bikes up from the states, there are reasons for that. ;)

Let me know what colors you want, aftermarket items, condition, years or whatever and I'll find at least one for you. My best friend wanted one of those pearl white special editions with the blue frame, so I found him a mint 2010 with low miles for $5,800. Up here I'd be surprised to see that exact bike go for less then $8k.

EDIT: here. PM me with a link to any bike you're interested in, and I'll get his contact info & whatever other details for you.
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66 The one in Calgary was 4000 Obo for a 2006, I don't really see any better deals on that site, plus it will cost a lot tO get it back? Do you drive it back yourself or what?

Graham_A_M
12-24-2012, 12:42 PM
^ $4k isn't a bad deal for an '06. I know some of the bikes on that site aren't too shit hot of a deal, but its just another option for you. Like I say if you check it fairly often, I've found some wicked deals on there. :dunno:

That black '09 just sold for $5100.

Shipping it isn't too big of a deal. Obviously the closer the better. Its worth getting a shipping quote before hand, so you can work that into the landed price of whatever bike.

Boosted131
12-24-2012, 12:58 PM
^ $4k isn't a bad deal for an '06. I know some of the bikes on that site aren't too shit hot of a deal, but its just another option for you. Like I say if you check it fairly often, I've found some wicked deals on there. :dunno:

That black '09 just sold for $5100.

Shipping it isn't too big of a deal. Obviously the closer the better. Its worth getting a shipping quote before hand, so you can work that into the landed price of whatever bike. How would I know the bike is working decent without seeing it though? Could end up with a pos without knowing it:dunno:

Graham_A_M
12-25-2012, 07:59 PM
^ You can always find a bike shop close to where-ever you find a bike (lets say Fresno, Cali for example). And pay them with Visa or whatever to fully inspect the bike for you. Then if it clears you work out the shipping details. Thats exactly what I did when I bought a car down in Atlanta 7 years ago. I had them take it to a dealership, do a full inspection on it, then the dealer emailed/faxed it to me. I looked it over, talked with the owners about the faults they found, then re-negotiated the price and later closed the deal. :dunno:

Its no more hard then you make it. There are lots of freight companies that can take the bike and ship it here for you, its not hard to crate either, some companies do all that for you. All you do is pay the estimated cost and have it delivered to your door in a few weeks after.

Find something you like and I'll help you with the rest.

EDIT: if its close by as in the NW states, you can always go down there over a weekend or so, pick it up with a truck and haul it back yourself. I did that not too long ago with a truck I bought down in Montana. (just yet another option out of many).
Like I say though, there are lots of companies that will take just the bike, crate it for you and ship it up here for you as well.
Most people that buy these bikes keep them, so you may want to check Kijiji out in BC for deals as well, since these dont come up for sale too often, which doesn't surprise me. I dont think I'll ever sell mine. :)