PDA

View Full Version : Is there a point in insulating a detached garage?

eiysa101
10-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Is there a point in sticking bags of pink insulation on a detached garage if there is no source of heat aside from one warm car that gets parked in there?

Will it actually make a difference in Alberta winters in the morning before work?

CanmoreOrLess
10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Unless you are normally working on something in the garage and need heat, there is no point. My garage is unheated, I do plug a car in on very cold days, just to have heat in the car within a minute of driving away. The garage air is warmer than outside when the car is plugged in overnight and all the snow and ice has melted off the car. Maybe wait for a sale on insulation and install it then if need be.

Better lighting would be nice, as the walls are not drywalled and painted white all my ceiling lights remains unreflected off the walls. So, better lighting is needed overall.

Rarasaurus
10-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Insulation without a heat source is still good. It will keep the heat from the cars inside the garage. Last winter when it was -30 we had 2 cars parked in there and our garage was around -5.

ExtraSlow
10-25-2012, 10:47 AM
It would be low on my list of priorities, but it DOES make a difference. The slab holds quite a bit of heat, and if the weatehr changes quickly, say going from -10 to -30, it'll take several days for the garage to cool down that far if it's insulated. Also, every time you bring in a warm vehicle, you are bringing in a source of heat that does raise the temperature inside.

R-Audi
10-25-2012, 10:50 AM
IMO it makes a HUGE difference.. we moved from a garage with no insulation into a house with a fully insulated garage a year ago.
This past winter we didnt have to scrape once, and it stayed at a decent temperature throughout the entire winter.My best guess is a 10-20 degree difference from outside to inside the garage.

Tik-Tok
10-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Also, every time you bring in a warm vehicle, you are bringing in a source of heat that does raise the temperature inside.

Yeap. You'd be surprised how much a car can heat up a well insulated garage.

project240
10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Rarasaurus
Last winter when it was -30 we had 2 cars parked in there and our garage was around -5.

I call BS unless you have an attached garage. It definitely does help, but I'd be shocked if he confirms this was actually a detached...

CanmoreOrLess
10-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
IMO it makes a HUGE difference.. we moved from a garage with no insulation into a house with a fully insulated garage a year ago.
This past winter we didnt have to scrape once, and it stayed at a decent temperature throughout the entire winter.My best guess is a 10-20 degree difference from outside to inside the garage.

Just to be clear here, did you expect to scrape your windows even once on a car in an insulated or uninsulated garage? It reads like in the past you did scrape. For the record, I have never had to scrape windows in my uninsulated garage.

eiysa101
10-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Thx, what would be the best way to do the roof? Actually get up there with a ladder and staple them in between the trusses? Or could I get away with something easier?

Thx for the input guys

AndyL
10-25-2012, 11:44 AM
IMNSHO - insulate,run gas and a proper power service...

payback at resale time easily covers the investment... the realtors can put numbers to it I'm sure, but a properly done garage will do more than an enclosed carport...

C_Dave45
10-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by project240

I call BS unless you have an attached garage. It definitely does help, but I'd be shocked if he confirms this was actually a detached...
Exactly. An insulated detached garage will be the same temperature as the outside air, just as a non-insulated garage will be.
The only difference will be the time it takes. If it drops from 0 to -30 overnight, the insulated will take a little longer to reach that -30...but it WILL reach it. If there's no heat source (a cooling engine wouldnt even make a dent in the air temp), insulating is a waste.

Tik-Tok
10-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

(a cooling engine wouldnt even make a dent in the air temp), insulating is a waste.

No way, 2 engines cooling warms a garage up quite well. Not to working conditions, but at least +10 above OAT.

C_Dave45
10-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

No way, 2 engines cooling warms a garage up quite well. Not to working conditions, but at least +10 above OAT.
Ya think? That much? This sounds like a job for myth busters. It would be interesting to see the results under controlled conditions. Two identical buildings...

masoncgy
10-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by eiysa101
Thx, what would be the best way to do the roof? Actually get up there with a ladder and staple them in between the trusses? Or could I get away with something easier?

Thx for the input guys

No, that's how you create mold.

The attic space in a detached garage is no different than a regular house. You have to close up the garage ceiling at the bottom of the roof trusses, so vapor barrier between the drywall and the trusses then insulation on top of the vapour barrier between the trusses. Leave the attic space and roof sheathing portion clear so it can breathe properly.

bjstare
10-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Exactly. An insulated detached garage will be the same temperature as the outside air, just as a non-insulated garage will be.
The only difference will be the time it takes. If it drops from 0 to -30 overnight, the insulated will take a little longer to reach that -30...but it WILL reach it. If there's no heat source (a cooling engine wouldnt even make a dent in the air temp), insulating is a waste.

I don't want to jump in with any actual numbers, but my non-heated, detached garage is insulated and it definitely makes a difference. Its most noticeable when the temp is dropping. The air inside the garage never reaches the overnight low temp - the only time the garage is as cold as the outside air is when we get a really nasty cold snap for a few days and it doesnt get above -25.

Not a waste at all, IMO.

R-Audi
10-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Just to be clear here, did you expect to scrape your windows even once on a car in an insulated or uninsulated garage? It reads like in the past you did scrape. For the record, I have never had to scrape windows in my uninsulated garage.

Uninsulated garage: I had to scrape my windows on several occasions two years ago. Worth noting that the walls were insulated, the roof was not. (Firecode from what I understand)

Insulated garage: Didnt scrape once last winter!

The temperature in my insulated garage is definitely warmer in the morning then outside. Even today there was a noticeable difference.

project240
10-25-2012, 01:36 PM

Even today there was a noticeable difference.

I bet the only difference you are feeling is that inside your garage there is no wind, therefore feels warmer (windchill) but actually isn't.

R-Audi
10-25-2012, 01:39 PM
I didnt remember any wind, plus my door is right beside the fence. Could be I suppose!
Time to invest in 2 thermometers...

BokCh0y
10-25-2012, 01:46 PM

Big difference for me with an insulated garage.

I have two thermometers int he garage, a digital one from the garge door opener assembly and a standard thermometer with the red thing that goes up and down, dunno what the hell it is called - analog thermometer?

Anyway if it's -30 outside, my garage is at least 10 degree celcius warmer, at least. I've looked at both thermometers in the garage and compared them to the one outside mounted on the front porch, and the both outside temp gauges in the car. And yes, I can confirm my insulated garage is in fact at least 10 degrees warmer during cold periods. During summer, an insulated garage is also hot as fuck.

Not matter how cold it is outside, and no matter how long i wait, the temp in the garage NEVER drops down to match the temp outside.

Insulated garage, is it worth it? Hell yes imho.

Rarasaurus
10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
My garage is detached. Last winter usually the temp was around -5. The coldest it got in there was -9. This is with just two cars heating it and no other heat source. 22x24. It is not only the engine block that heats but also the temp inside the car. We have 1 SUV and 1 sedan. Might make a difference that we have 2x6 walls so we were able to put in more insulation on the sides. I think its r20 walls and r40 ceiling.

Tik-Tok
10-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

standard thermometer with the red thing that goes up and down, dunno what the hell it is called - analog thermometer?

:rofl:

It's called a mercury thermometer.

BokCh0y
10-25-2012, 02:08 PM

Hahaha thanks!!! FML dunno why i couldnt think of it.

CanmoreOrLess
10-25-2012, 02:23 PM

Hahaha thanks!!! FML dunno why i couldnt think of it.

Spaeking of mercury, might be those fillings are the cause? LOL.

Could be from mercury poisoning: The early symptoms of mercury poisoning can be very variable but may include loss of short term memory, a metallic taste in the mouth (this is difficult since taste is relative and amalgam is constantly present) and fine tremor. Mercury may also cause personality changes (like the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland). It is also toxic to the nerves of the heart and may be a cause of electrical dysrhythmias (palpitations).

http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Mercury_-_Toxicity_of_Dental_Amalgam_-_Why_you_should_have_your_dental_amalgams_removed

carson blocks
10-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes, I'd always insulate it. If you have to work in there at all in the winter, a little 1500w space heater or portable propane heater will go a lot farther to making it comfortable in there if it's insulated.

I tend to use garages for a workspace more than for parking though. After it's insulated, add a gas heater, at least 60a 240v power, tons of lighting, big compressor, welder, big rolling cabinet full of tools, 4 post lift, etc. Just the basic necessities. Oh, and I've found that if you ban your significant other from parking in the garage, there's always room for an interesting project.

Tomaz
10-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Oh, and I've found that if you ban your significant other from parking in the garage, there's always room for an interesting project.

https://d17tpoh2r6xvno.cloudfront.net/links/502d75ef7f86f.gif

project240
10-25-2012, 03:19 PM
^ Very well said.

G
10-25-2012, 03:46 PM

The one with the red thing that goes up and down are actually alcohol not mercury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_thermometer

ipeefreely
10-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Uninsulated garage: I had to scrape my windows on several occasions two years ago. Worth noting that the walls were insulated, the roof was not. (Firecode from what I understand).

That's really weird... you must have had poor ventilation or lot of water on the floor for that to happen... :confused:

C_Dave45
10-25-2012, 06:25 PM

Big difference for me with an insulated garage.

I have two thermometers int he garage, a digital one from the garge door opener assembly and a standard thermometer with the red thing that goes up and down, dunno what the hell it is called - analog thermometer?

Anyway if it's -30 outside, my garage is at least 10 degree celcius warmer, at least. I've looked at both thermometers in the garage and compared them to the one outside mounted on the front porch, and the both outside temp gauges in the car. And yes, I can confirm my insulated garage is in fact at least 10 degrees warmer during cold periods. During summer, an insulated garage is also hot as fuck.

Not matter how cold it is outside, and no matter how long i wait, the temp in the garage NEVER drops down to match the temp outside.

Insulated garage, is it worth it? Hell yes imho.

Huh...well that's interesting. You're garage is detached as well?

First of all I agree, it's well worth it, only for the standpoint of down the road if you put in heat or if you use an electric space heater on occasion.

But scientifically, two buildings, one with insulation vs one without, will not be any warmer, other than it will take a little longer to reach the ambient air temp when it changes.

The variables though are the hot engines that are coming in and out every day. I can see that making a difference.
As well, I can see an insulated garage FEELING warmer, as there's absolutely no windchill/drafts.

Then if you have windows, and during the day the sun comes through the glass, it will heat up inside the garage, and then at night, the insulated garage will hold onto that heat longer.

So I guess, in practical terms, the answer to OP is......... YES. Insulate it. :rofl:

AndyL
10-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Well, yes and no... don't forget foundation, pilings will go down below frost line, thus will transmit some 'heat' up into the slab... farther down more pronounced it'll be... if there's insulation below the slab, that effect will be more pronounced...

SOAB
10-25-2012, 08:06 PM
my detached garage is fully insulated and heated (i have yet to turn it on this year) and it has not gone below 0 degrees in there yet. having insulation definitely helps.

AE92_TreunoSC
10-25-2012, 08:11 PM
My walls are insulated but the roof vents right out, still stays about 10 degrees above the outside temp.

I'm sure if I trapped the heat leaving the roof it would be better, but I'd rather have a well ventilated garage.

I kinda wanna drywall it for appearances but there really is no other reason.

eblend
10-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Mine is insulated, detached, with insulation on walls and sealing fully done, and its about 10-12 degrees warmer in the garage than outdoors temperature. I have a thermometer on my garage door opener as well so I can verify that it makes a difference. I think it was like $350 bucks to insulate my whole 22x22 garage....just do it

89s1
10-27-2012, 05:26 PM
What kind of insulation was that? Spray or cotton candy bats?

eblend
10-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
What kind of insulation was that? Spray or cotton candy bats?

Pink cotton candy bats, don't remember exactly, but its the pink bags for 2x4 studs

revelations
10-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Mine is a double garage, detached. Fully insulated and comes with a BIG north facing window (which I sealed with translucent plastic).

I've got the baseboards set to 10c - the heat doesent come on very much right now.... thought I'm sure it will once the temps plunge.

D. Dub
10-29-2012, 05:15 AM

Uninsulated garage: I had to scrape my windows on several occasions two years ago. Worth noting that the walls were insulated, the roof was not. (Firecode from what I understand)

Insulated garage: Didnt scrape once last winter!

How did your windows get frost on them inside a garage?

R-Audi
10-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Couldnt tell you, not like I did it on purpose.

Im guessing a mix of heat left inside the car, and cold weather outside? Same as any other window frosting outside.

bspot
10-31-2012, 12:03 PM
My garage never makes it below about -12. Insulated, detached. If you have a car that is run every day parking in there it makes a huge difference. One car sits quite a bit and the heat from the other is more than enough to keep it warm.

D. Dub
11-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Couldnt tell you, not like I did it on purpose.

Im guessing a mix of heat left inside the car, and cold weather outside? Same as any other window frosting outside.

So the inside of your windows fogged up?