PDA

View Full Version : Goin to the Uni without finishing high school

lindaL
10-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Is there anyone went to the university without finishing high school as well?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/10/25/calgary-students-education-act.html

I saw the news and it suddently reminds me the fact that I didn't finish my high school.

I am an electrical engineering student currently working in an automation company for my internship.

What happened to me was that I was sick I didn't write final exam of Social Studies 30-2. My in-school grade for social was like 80 as I remembered, I could only pass the course if my in school grade was 100% without doing the final.

I knew I was going to the University and I was planning to do the final exam whenever I have time so I can get my diploma, but then I never did.

It's been so many years now, since I already have a job and I almost finish my University, is there any point for me to write the exam?

max_boost
10-26-2012, 01:33 PM
rage2 only has a junior high diploma and he went to University for a year. I think he was missing social studies as well, not sure if he went back to finish it haha

Disoblige
10-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Engineering doesn't give a shit about Social Studies.

Requirements:

ELA 30-1
Chemistry 30
Physics 30
Pure Math 30
Math 31 (Calculus)

Short answer, no point whatsoever.

ga16i
10-26-2012, 02:32 PM
This isn't me, but someone I know failed Social Studies 30 and didn't finish High School and to this day still does not have a High School diploma. They went to MRC back when it was still MRC for 1 year to do transfer courses (nothing required Social 30), then transferred straight into Geophysics the year after and graduated a few years later. Pretty smart move to me, easy peasy MRC handholding for the first term and still ended up graduating UofC Geophysics without a high school diploma.

FixedGear
10-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I don't know if this counts, but at my high school in the US you could take University courses and get both HS and college credit. There was a program for it, I forget what it was called but it was different than AP or the other similar offering in Canada (IB?)... you actually enrolled and took the actual course at the actual university, it wasn't taught by your HS English teacher like in AP. I took 5 or 6 courses that way.

chibwack
10-26-2012, 02:33 PM
If you're already in the program I really doubt they'll audit your high school records. You should be fine. Of course, if you ever wanna run for president one day this is just the thing Trump would be looking for...

rage2
10-26-2012, 03:36 PM
You don't need a high school diploma to get into the U of C. It's a loophole regulation so that late coming visa students can get away with just doing grade 12 and get into University, and not have to re-do grade 10-11 for the 100 total course credits to earn the HS diploma.

All you need are course requirements. They don't care at all about the HS diploma. That's how I ended up taking 1/2 a year off in high school and still went to U of C for 2 years.

g-m
10-30-2012, 08:47 PM
A HS diploma is almost completely useless. I haven't seen mine since I got it. There is absolutely no point going back

NoMoreG35
10-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah I don't remember if I ever got my high school diploma, but I still graduated from engineering at U of C.