PDA

View Full Version : U of L Faculty of Management in Calgary

Clever
10-28-2012, 05:10 PM
I am hoping to get some general feedback about the school. I am considering taking the 25 Course Post Diploma Bachelor of Management program, starting in January. Thank you in advance.

natty54
10-28-2012, 06:44 PM
I am in Lethbridge atm kinda doing that program (my major is education) I can try and help. What do you wanna know?

Wrath
10-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I got my degree from this program in 2008 back when it was in the evenings at SAIT.

All in all I was pleased....most of your instructors will have been/are U of C/MRU profs at one point...

Clever
10-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by natty54
I am in Lethbridge atm kinda doing that program (my major is education) I can try and help. What do you wanna know?

I am looking at the general management as a major, minor in SCM, I guess if you could give me feedback on the school itself, class sizes, and the quality teaching/ learning, I'd appreciate it.

Originally posted by Wrath
I got my degree from this program in 2008 back when it was in the evenings at SAIT.

All in all I was pleased....most of your instructors will have been/are U of C/MRU profs at one point...

That's good to know, thanks.

FullFledgedYYC
10-28-2012, 08:57 PM
I did the post diploma bachelor of management - major in marketing.

I did 3 semesters in Lethbridge and one in Calgary. It's a solid program, and most of the Calgary instructors are very very good. The only one I had a problem with was Carlos Aviles who taught Econ.... he was the worst teacher I have ever had, but I did decent in the class by just not going to class and doing it all on my own.

I think if you have the opportunity, you should just go to Lethbridge. Good campus, good teachers, and if you are into partying and the such you will have an awesome time. As an alternative though, Calgary campus is quite good.

I honestly don't know why anyone would go to U of C with the U of L campus here. Class sizes are like... 30 or under, the teachers are top notch (most are just the best teachers from MRC or U of C), and the location is excellent if you are working downtown.

I say go for it, I will be amazed if you are disapointed.

mowglee
10-28-2012, 09:00 PM
I was at the Calgary campus for about a year, post diploma from SAIT, now finishing in Leth. Class sizes are small, profs are pretty easy going and understand you have about 1000 things going on so they are flexible and want to actually help you.

Main drawback is that there is next to no student life/atmosphere. Literally just go to class and leave. The best decision I ever made was to finish it in Lethbridge because the atmosphere is completely different, much better networking opportunities, and you get the chance to really meet your profs on a personal basis. I'm on a first name basis with the Dean, Associate Dean of the Lethbridge campus and the Associate Dean of the Northern Campuses, plus almost every professor that I've taken a class with, and even some professors that I haven't taken any classes with. To me that is more important than just getting a degree because I'm getting a chance to experience things I would not have been able to had I stayed in Calgary.

Stephen81
10-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Finished in Dec last year...is it 25 courses now? I only did 20 to graduate post-diploma.

Anyways, overall satisfied with the courses and instructors.

Campus is at Bow Valley College now..when the new phase in complete they'll have their own couple of floors in the building apparently. As mentioned above, most of the instructors have taught elsewhere and already work in business/finance/accounting in Calgary so you can make some good connections.

Can't speak to the minor in SCM as it was relatively new when I was there but I don't think you'll find the courses in General mgmt exceptionally difficult. Teachers also seemed pretty understanding regarding exams and assignments as most of the students work F/T during the day. If you can, take the morning/afternoon classes on Saturday. It sucks, but you'll appreciate the extra free-time during the week.

Stephen81
10-28-2012, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

The only one I had a problem with was Carlos Aviles who taught Econ.... he was the worst teacher I have ever had, but I did decent in the class by just not going to class and doing it all on my own.

I remember that class well :rofl:

FullFledgedYYC
10-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by stephen_haxton

That man was beyond useless....

Clever
10-29-2012, 12:14 AM

Can't speak to the minor in SCM as it was relatively new when I was there but I don't think you'll find the courses in General mgmt exceptionally difficult. Teachers also seemed pretty understanding regarding exams and assignments as most of the students work F/T during the day. If you can, take the morning/afternoon classes on Saturday. It sucks, but you'll appreciate the extra free-time during the week.

I can only attend the Calgary class, as I have a family and can not relocate to Lethbridge. Also, that was another thing I was concerned about as I am planning to still work and do the program at the same time.

Thanks for the replies everyone; keep them coming if anyone else have other things to add, good or bad.

FullFledgedYYC
10-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Probably another thing you will want to keep in mind, especially if you are working full time... Many of the classes require group work/projects. If you are taking a full schedule of classes it's going to be quite difficult to find time for group meetings. Just keep that in mind.

Mitsu3000gt
10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
My degree is from there as well, I think I finished the last year that they used SAIT's classrooms. I started at Mt. Royal then transferred to the U of L to finish my last few years.

I have mostly good to say about it. Every class was 3hr once a week and the work load was quite reasonable.

Almost every one of my teachers was a UofC prof.

Group projects were a non-issue unless you get the workaholics that want to meet every day to plan, brainstorm, etc. rather than split it up and get it done like adults. For the most part I had zero issues there, but I found the most annoying people to work with by far were the older people there (40ish) trying to continue their education.

The only thing I FUCKING HATED was the class sizes. Small class sizes mean that part of your grade in many classes was dependent on your participation or attendance. I'm sorry, are we in grade 2? Am I not paying to be here? I thought that was bullshit. That is the only thing I absolutely hated about UofL Calgary Campus.

Oh one more thing I hated. 3hr is a long time, and most teachers let you out early UNLESS there was a single student (and there was never more than one) who felt that they weren't getting their money's worth if we got let out even 10-20 min early. 29/30 people were cool with it, but because one person didn't want to leave we all had to stay and do "make work" stuff until the clock hit 9pm. It was only an issue in classes where attendance was graded like in elementary school, otherwise you could just leave when you got the information you needed from the class for that day.

rizfarmer
10-29-2012, 10:45 AM

That man was beyond useless....

sounds like there were a few of us in that class

:whipped: .... true/false stats tests and movies WTF??

But everything mentioned here is true. I finished at SAIT so can't comment on the Bow Valley campus however don't expect any kind of social/student atmosphere or to even meet anyone looking to make friends. You will get mostly professional classmates which makes group work easier since most people understand the concept of pulling their own weight- most of the time.

s2k_boi
10-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

sounds like there were a few of us in that class

:whipped: .... true/false stats tests and movies WTF??

But everything mentioned here is true. I finished at SAIT so can't comment on the Bow Valley campus however don't expect any kind of social/student atmosphere or to even meet anyone looking to make friends. You will get mostly professional classmates which makes group work easier since most people understand the concept of pulling their own weight- most of the time.

lol.. true /false and movies? I never got that.. got so ripped off. Carlos was interesting (but if he liked you then you were fine...)

Honestly, I'm management (finance) transfer program from sait to u of l. I had the pleasure of Bow Valley (Prefer SAIT more), but who cares. You are there for 3 hours and want to get your degree. Most of the people there are working F/T as mentioned.

- Don't worry about the attendance or participation. I had maybe 3 out of 20 classes that had a small percentage in it 10-15% MAX.

- I would recommend a maximum of 3 classes (2 core and 1 elective if you want to maintain a ok work / life balance); I know some people do more, but they don't care about their GPA. I did one semester with 3 core classes and had shit load of ot at work too (That was painful)

- Oh, most profs let you out early anyways. There is only a couple that takes you till the end. Most of them have f/t day jobs as well or I met a couple that was working on their PHD. so they really totally understand and are flexible for most parts. Only thing they don't have control or can be flexible on is the Final.

Not sure what else to add.... I'm almost done. Thank god. So message me if you have more questions.

J-D
10-29-2012, 02:36 PM

I honestly don't know why anyone would go to U of C with the U of L campus here. Class sizes are like... 30 or under, the teachers are top notch (most are just the best teachers from MRC or U of C), and the location is excellent if you are working downtown.

Why would anyone go to a large University instead of a tiny satellite campus? Are you high?

Mitsu3000gt
10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by J-D

Why would anyone go to a large University instead of a tiny satellite campus? Are you high?

Except for the outstanding female population, I MUCH preferred UofL Calgary Campus to my time at Mount Royal. 3hr classes once a week, no crowds, etc. I just preferred that style, especially while I was working.

FullFledgedYYC
10-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by J-D

How are class sizes in the hundreds, higher tuition, and worse instructors any better? Are you high?

And don't even try to say employers will look at U of C in a higher regard. I am employed by one of the top 55 in Alberta and top 100 in Canada. Anyone I know that went to U of C and took the same thing as me, is making half as much with far less reputable companies.

J-D
10-30-2012, 01:43 AM

How are class sizes in the hundreds, higher tuition, and worse instructors any better? Are you high?

And don't even try to say employers will look at U of C in a higher regard. I am employed by one of the top 55 in Alberta and top 100 in Canada. Anyone I know that went to U of C and took the same thing as me, is making half as much with far less reputable companies.

Did you have to take statistics for your program? Perhaps they also taught you about the availability heuristic. I know a number of people who work for fantastic companies that likely make much more than you after dropping out of University, but I'm not trying to play it off like that happens to everyone.

Regardless, I'm not here to debate caliber of education. The majority of classes I took after my second year had reasonable class sizes and large classes have never bothered me. Tuition is higher and there are facilities and an overall social experience to back that up. I've had some seriously impressive professors, and a few shitty ones along the way.

If you're living in Calgary I think it is pretty hard to make an argument for the majority of people to attend UofL over UofC.

FullFledgedYYC
10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Worthless argument. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Clever
10-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I have registered and will be attending in January.

elite
11-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Clever
Thanks for all the replies, I have registered and will be attending in January.

If you are going to be driving into downtown and are looking for parking the ywca across the street is 2 bucks to park after 5 (generally gets filled up fast but if you are there by 5 you should get a spot), If that is full, right across from city hall on third street is another parking lot that is 2 bucks after 5 as well and this one is generally empty (its about a 3-5 minute walk depending if you hit the lights or not).

b_t
11-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Probably another thing you will want to keep in mind, especially if you are working full time... Many of the classes require group work/projects. If you are taking a full schedule of classes it's going to be quite difficult to find time for group meetings. Just keep that in mind.

I did the calgary night courses and never had group work? Maybe I forgot about it. I seem to remember group projects always having class time aside for the group projects as they understood most ppl were working full time & upgrading at night

I did full time work, full time night courses. It sucks, don't do it. 3 courses was manageable, 5 I had no life at all

If you want an actual college lifestyle experience, go to lethbridge instead. Met nobody at all when I was doing night courses.

muffzz
11-20-2012, 01:24 AM
I'm going into my 2nd semester here at the calgary campus and I was wondering what are some good easy options to take. I took logi 1000 and man that was damn hard! I'm thinking of taking psyc or maybe geography. Any recommendations? I'm also taking econ 2900, math 1510 and mgt 3061 next semester.

Also if you're looking for parking, I park opposite the rocky mountain plaza building. Parking is free after 6 pm anywhere down town so even if you park there around 5:45 you will be fine.

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Most of my core/management classes had group work, but not much else did. Sometimes there was the odd bit of class time set aside for work but it was nothing useful, everyone just left early instead haha.

slick2404
11-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Take creative thinking, you seriously nap for the first 15 min of the class haha.

Clever
01-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Hey for anyone who has or is taking the program, did they provide you with a list of what you need for the courses, as in text books, class materials or even a laptop? I start right away here and I've searched The Bridge and U of L site and no luck.

rizfarmer
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Hey for anyone who has or is taking the program, did they provide you with a list of what you need for the courses, as in text books, class materials or even a laptop? I start right away here and I've searched The Bridge and U of L site and no luck.

Just look a bit harder for the course outline for your class- will tell u everything needed for the class

elite
01-07-2013, 07:08 PM
https://www.uleth.ca/bookstore/textfinder/

Use that to get a list of your textbooks. As for everything else logon to webct (blackboard) and you should have your classes listed. Go through each individual class and check the course outlines. I'd recommend holding off purchasing textbooks untill you go through your first class in case the prof says you don't need one of the textbooks or something.

Clever
01-07-2013, 07:29 PM
That worked thanks. I usually wait until the first day, but I was trying to figure out the costs so I can budget accordingly.

muffzz
01-09-2013, 02:59 PM

They do provide it but it's pretty unorganized. I took some courses that were on the list but they say it doesn't count towards the degree so you have to go to the advisor and get a list from her personally to tell you what you CAN and CANNOT take and what credit you can get. As for books try buying the used ones if you can because they're pretty expensive and some classes you barely use them. Try amazon too the books there are 50 bucks cheaper. They don't provide you with a laptop nor a upass or anything. TBH it's really unorganized here. Teachers aren't like SAIT or u of c where they help you out and want you to do good. Here the teachers come for the pay cheque and boom and you're on your own.

Clever
01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
That's too bad to hear, my first class is tonight, and yes I spoke to the student advisor so all my 5 classes this semester should count towards the degree. I guess I'll find out first hand today how it is.

Mitsu3000gt
01-09-2013, 03:48 PM
That's too bad to hear, my first class is tonight, and yes I spoke to the student advisor so all my 5 classes this semester should count towards the degree. I guess I'll find out first hand today how it is.

I found it quite easy. I had a sheet with a list of the mandatory core courses which included recommended timing to take them (i.e. which semester). The rest were blanks that said things like "any 3000 level course", etc. I had zero issues and did not end up taking any unnecessary classes.

Also the management degree is one of very few you can fully complete at the Calgary campus (unless something's changed) so they don't offer nearly as many courses as the main campus. Pretty hard to screw up IMO - not a lot to choose from.

Stephen81
01-09-2013, 05:16 PM

by and large I actually found most profs to be extremely helpful, even outside of class hours which is impressive because they basically all have F/T jobs in some other industry. ymmv but I found it to be a good program

Canmorite
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by muffzz

They do provide it but it's pretty unorganized. I took some courses that were on the list but they say it doesn't count towards the degree so you have to go to the advisor and get a list from her personally to tell you what you CAN and CANNOT take and what credit you can get. As for books try buying the used ones if you can because they're pretty expensive and some classes you barely use them. Try amazon too the books there are 50 bucks cheaper. They don't provide you with a laptop nor a upass or anything. TBH it's really unorganized here. Teachers aren't like SAIT or u of c where they help you out and want you to do good. Here the teachers come for the pay cheque and boom and you're on your own.

I found the advisors and instructors great (always some so-so ones in there) for the most part. I did have friends end up with some missing classes though, I think it's best to sit down with an instructor each semester and work it out.

A friend of mine is an advisor there...all I can say is, be nice to them and treat them with respect :D

Clever
01-14-2013, 01:29 PM
If anyone have these text books and would like to sell, let me know. Thanks.

MICROECONOMICS: CANADA IN THE GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT w/MYECONLAB - PARKIN

MARKETING (CANADIAN ED) - CRANE

INTRODUCTION TO PHILOSOPHY (P) - OHREEN

BUSINESS STATISTICS: A FIRST COURSE - SHARPE

ACADEMIC WRITING: AN INTRODUCTION - GILTROW

muffzz
01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
If anyone have these text books and would like to sell, let me know. Thanks.

MICROECONOMICS: CANADA IN THE GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT w/MYECONLAB - PARKIN

MARKETING (CANADIAN ED) - CRANE

INTRODUCTION TO PHILOSOPHY (P) - OHREEN

BUSINESS STATISTICS: A FIRST COURSE - SHARPE

ACADEMIC WRITING: AN INTRODUCTION - GILTROW

Try getting used books from the uleth bookstore. If they're still too expensive you can email the prof to find someone who has them or buy them from amazon. That's what i did. One of my books was for 120 i bought it from amazon for 30 in good condition.

ExtremeSi
01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
I also took the B.Mgt program down in Lethbridge. Was pretty good. Most of the profs were quite good. I enjoyed living down there as well. Nothing really bad to say.

muffzz
02-03-2013, 04:51 PM
has anyone taken human resource mngt 3050 here before?

Stephen81
02-03-2013, 06:09 PM

Yep, I seem to recall it was required for me. Seemed like an easy 'A'.

Mitsu3000gt
02-03-2013, 11:04 PM

Who is the prof? Two different profs offered that class when I was there and one is WAYYYYY better than the other.