PDA

View Full Version : A great experience and lifestyle in a foreign country!

Mattloaf
10-29-2012, 12:40 AM
My school is looking for a few native English speakers from Canada or The States who are interested in some adventure and a crazy break from the norm teaching English in China. We offer a great experience and the pay will sustain a lifestyle well above average (by Canadian standards). Where else can you get the opportunity to live well while only working 16 - 25 hours a week?

We're located in Guangzhou China. It's 1.5 hours from Hong Kong so you have access to all the amenities available to you in Canada if homesickness strikes. Guangzhou is a great place to live with lots to do (the worlds second tallest, and most beautiful tower, lots of interesting parks and monuments, easy access to travel the rest of the country via train or plane, etc), some interesting food and amazing opportunities.

The work is a mix of adult and children's classes. All teaching material is provided and, speaking from experience, the classes are not challenging once you learn the ropes. The school is owned and operated by my fiancee and me (both born and raised Calgarian) and we will make sure your time here is an amazing experience.

If you or someone you know is looking for some adventure in your life send me a PM for more information. There are currently 2 positions available.

davidI
10-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Wow, what a great opportunity!!

For people looking for a change in Calgary, jump at this chance!

Mattloaf
10-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Thanks David. I follow just about all your threads. You lead an amazing lifestyle that even a fellow traveler can be jealous of. If you're ever out in this area I'd love to buy you a coffee.

:thumbsup:

LadyLuck
10-29-2012, 01:49 AM
PM sent

davidI
10-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Mattloaf
Thanks David. I follow just about all your threads. You lead an amazing lifestyle that even a fellow traveler can be jealous of. If you're ever out in this area I'd love to buy you a coffee.

:thumbsup:

I really do need to get to China at some point. Been wanting to do a 3-6 month Trans-Mongolian Railway trip for ages with 2-4 of those months in China...I just need to find the time to do it! I will definitely let you know as I'm sure you can school me on the ways of our future supreme rulers.

Mattloaf
10-29-2012, 02:23 AM
Haha re: future supreme rulers. Strength in numbers was never so true.

All PMs replied to. Thanks for all the interest in this! You seriously won't be disappointed in the experience or EVER regret the learning experience you'll get. It's been the highlight of my life so far!

kaput
10-29-2012, 08:32 AM

Mattloaf
10-29-2012, 10:39 AM
As long as the world doesn't end in December. ;)

Sugarphreak
10-29-2012, 12:41 PM

msommers
10-29-2012, 03:22 PM
This sounds pretty cool actually! How long would you be gone for and do you need to be able to speak Mandarin/Cantonese to be a successful candidate? When were you looking for people to start?

Definitely PM me about the details.

Mattloaf
10-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Cool experience, if I was a big younger and didn't have my current gig I would jump at it.

I've spent time vacationing in China, and also working in China... very different types of experiences, but both were rewarding. I've found it can be difficult at times to get by without speaking any Manderin at all. :rofl:

When were you here? My Mandarin is absolute shit. I mean, I get by, but it definitely could be better. Most of my foreign friends here speak next to nothing. More people speak English in this country than in America so you can always find someone to help you out. My rule for teaching is ZERO English in any class so you definitely don't need mandarin to teach.

This is a very big city. They tend to be much more advanced when it comes to English.

msommers - I'll PM right away here.

Mattloaf
10-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Ok, I think all the PM's are replied to. Here are the answers to some of the more frequent questions:

1. Mandarin is not required and I don't allow it in my classrooms. I would take a person with zero Mandarin over someone fluent any day because of this. We promote a 100% immersion experience and if you can't speak Mandarin you WON‘T speak Mandarin. That being said, I do encourage new teachers to try out some of the local Mandarin classes. It's all part of the fun of learning a new culture.

2. A post-secondary education is not mandatory but it will help with your visa applications. We can still get you a visa without it but we have to jump through some extra hoops and if you're applying without a bachelors degree we ask that you are EXTRA patient with us and understand that we need to go about things very differently. None of that matters till after your interview though.

3. Teaching experience is an asset but not required. I have developed and written my own text books and teaching material and it's very straightforward and easy to use. All training is provided.

4. Travel experience is an asset but not required. China may seem fairly normal when you get off the plane but homesickness and culture shock can and will hit you. Especially while staying for extended periods of time. We'll help you through any struggles but experience will be your best friend in that situation. Trust me though, it's all part of the adventure and the fun.

5. Salary is based on a combination of experience and position. We have part time and full time positions available. Ideally, for new teachers we would like to start you out in a part time position while training and gradually work you up to a full time (still only 25 hours a week) position.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions. I REALLY appreciate the incredible interest in the positions we have available so far and I guarantee you won't be disappointed with your experience out here.

Mattloaf
11-02-2012, 10:18 PM
To everyone who applied for these positions:

We ran into a bit of a complication with our business registration. We are doing everything we can to resolve this issue as quickly as possible but there is a lot of red tape (as you can imagine in a "communist" country) so it may take some time. We are still in business but unfortunately this complication allows us to only hire people already in the country and not import workers.

I apologize to everyone who has applied as there were many people I would have hired in a heartbeat! As soon as this issue is resolved I will be reposting any opportunities we may have.

If anyone is interested in coming to work in China in the meantime please PM me any questions you might have any I will do everything I can to help you get a good job with a fair company and give you my opinion on fair salary, expectations etc. I wish I could hire you through my company directly, but for the time being this is the best I can do.

Good luck with everyone's adventures!

slick2404
05-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Any updates?

Tram Common
05-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
Any updates?

Updates are:

1. OP's threads are riddled with grammatical errors.

2. Someone in China figured this out and pulled their working permit designated for teaching English.

:dunno:

Sugarphreak
05-10-2013, 07:38 PM

CanmoreOrLess
05-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Tram Common

Updates are:

1. OP's threads are riddled with grammatical errors.

2. Someone in China figured this out and pulled their working permit designated for teaching English.

:dunno:

Never truer, first thing you learn in working in China teaching ESL.... where the fire escapes are so you can do a runner when the government comes a calling. Ever been to jail Billy?