PDA

View Full Version : Builder claims woman has no permit for garage, blocks her garage with tree.

thetransporter
10-29-2012, 12:46 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/Calgary/ID/2297980414/

Your thoughts -

rage2
10-29-2012, 12:48 PM
My thoughts? LOL hahaha.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2012/10/28/new169.jpg

spikerS
10-29-2012, 12:53 PM
fuck i wish I could get these videos to work while at work...

G
10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Good on the developer. She probably try to screw them over just to save a few bucks.

Sugarphreak
10-29-2012, 12:56 PM

thetransporter
10-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by spikers
fuck i wish I could get these videos to work while at work...

what blocking? i can circumvent it for u- maybe

mo_money2supe
10-29-2012, 12:59 PM
I live in the area and have driven by that house on numerous occasions; have always wondered what was going on there. That said, shouldn't this have been an issue with the home builder and the City and NOT the developer? By the way, this builder is definitely a "favourite" among beyonders.

benyl
10-29-2012, 01:01 PM
My guess is that she is over the 45% land coverage:

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Pages/Home-building-and-renovations/Garage-or-shed/Garage-or-Shed.aspx

bjstare
10-29-2012, 01:02 PM
You could get rid of that with a sawzall in about 17 seconds.

Also, LOL

DeleriousZ
10-29-2012, 01:07 PM
What's the problem? It's probably just being used for storage anyway?

G
10-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

So.... what exactly stops her from taking a saw and getting rid of the tree? Or just driving it over, lol.

Statistically speaking since she is older, oriental and a woman sooner or later she will mow it down.

Evo prec
10-29-2012, 01:12 PM
seems like another fob trying save some pennies and cut some corners

Go4Long
10-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Definitely looks like WAY over 45% coverage.

spikerS
10-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter

Nothing blocking it per se, just takes like 20 mins to load these videos from any of the outlets on my work comp. Any other video from any other source is just fine.

DeleriousZ
10-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by G

Statistically speaking since she is older, oriental and a woman sooner or later she will mow it down.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

90_Shelby
10-29-2012, 01:23 PM

So.... what exactly stops her from taking a saw and getting rid of the tree? Or just driving it over, lol.

The lawn and tree are on city property.

lilmira
10-29-2012, 01:25 PM
WTF haha, I can't believe that guy from the builder/developer kept a straight face in the interview. So who built that garage, the original builder or a separate contractor hired by the owner directly?

My guess would be like this, the owner wanted the garage, builder gave them a high quote, owner said that's too expensive and found someone else to do it for cheap. Owner had not a clue about permit requirement. Builder didn't give a shit since they didn't get the money. The other contractor only cared about building the garage, permits and such were the owner's responsibility.

spikerS
10-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
WTF haha, I can't believe that guy from the builder/developer kept a straight face in the interview. So who built that garage, the original builder or a separate contractor hired by the owner directly?

My guess would be like this, the owner wanted the garage, builder gave them a high quote, owner said that's too expensive and found someone else to do it for cheap. Owner had not a clue about permit requirement. Builder didn't give a shit since they didn't get the money. The other contractor only cared about building the garage, permits and such were the owner's responsibility.

+1

Go4Long
10-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

This has nothing to do with the builder. The Developer sets the way they want the community to look. That's why when you build in a new community you get choices of specific front elevations, colors, etc. The developer owns all the land around the yards and probably had this tree planned to go there from the start. Was it kinda dickish to put the tree in front of the door for the garage? sure...did they do anything "wrong" nope. And the tree would have been on the plans filed with the City had they done the permitting process properly for building the garage in the first place. ;)

I know there's a giant hate on for the builder on this forum in general, but in this case they had nothing to do with it.

Rarasaurus
10-29-2012, 01:37 PM
The developer also has their requirement for the boulevards to The City. They follow the landscaping plan in order to get final sign off. The home owner built the garage and got the permit on their own. The City should not have granted a permit for this garage but they did by accident. I am sure they will give a relaxation and it will be resolved.

lilmira
10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Oh no, not pointing my finger at the builder at all. Like I mentioned, my guess is that the owner screwed themselves up trying to save a few bucks without know much about permits, bylaws and whatnot. Still the builder/developer could have done a bit more than standing aside and let this happen. Or may be they had and the owner was stubborn like a rock. Regardless, the builder/developer knew this was going to happen all along, hence it's tough to not show the "I told you so" face.

Masked Bandit
10-29-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm guessing this also goes against architectural controls for the neighbourhood. Lots of posters making reference to this being over 45% of the lot coverage, I'm guessing that's a zoning bylaw thing? Can't have more than 45% of your lot covered by building? If that's the case, she might have to rip this thing down?

Edit: - I watched the video again and if I'm looking at this correctly she has a double attached garage at the front of the house and then wanted to put this second garage in her back yard facing onto the street (live on a corner)? Interesting idea for more garage space I guess. I live on a corner and could probably fit another garage in my back yard facing the side street except for the fact I would have to build on top of a utility right of way that runs up the side of the house.

DeleriousZ
10-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Edit: - I watched the video again and if I'm looking at this correctly she has a double attached garage at the front of the house and then wanted to put this second garage in her back yard facing onto the street (live on a corner)? Interesting idea for more garage space I guess. I live on a corner and could probably fit another garage in my back yard facing the side street except for the fact I would have to build on top of a utility right of way that runs up the side of the house.

Now that you point that out, it does look like it doesn't it?

dannie
10-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Looking at the city of calgary interactive map.... no building permit was issued for that house (assuming I found the right one).

My guess goes along side Masked Bandits. She had it done after the fact, not by the builder, no permits and the developer simply carried on with the site plan that they had to submit to the city - which would include a tree in that spot.

chibwack
10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter

I could use some pointers... I can get on youtube.com only if I use the secure website, but it won't play the videos. If people hotlink them to this forum for example, they just don't appear (big blank grey space intead). Most news sites work though, but not all.

heavyfuel
10-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Fuck when I read shit like this, all the bylaws and zoning and permits, man, makes me not feel so bad that I'm renting.

Go4Long
10-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Because renting gives you so many more rights to modify the property?

FraserB
10-29-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm pretty sure all the same rules, and more, apply to renters.

DeleriousZ
10-29-2012, 03:45 PM
I think he means that he doesn't have to worry about it because he's not allowed to build shit in the first place being a renter.

thetransporter
10-29-2012, 03:55 PM
who cares if someone owns or if someone rents - be thankful you are not living outside.

Go4Long
10-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Damn hippies.

Toma
10-29-2012, 04:35 PM
If there was no permit in place for the Garage, the City would be involved.

Being TRUE Fobs, a buddy of mine did that years ago, and the City was all over him, and eventually he had to tear it down, then get permits, then build it to code.

There is no way that Garage went up without permits.

I would just cut the tree down. They can try and prove it was me.

Hell, someone go do it for her.

Fucking assfuck developer needs a bitchslap.

Toma
10-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Yeah, I have a buddy in the NW with a sweet ass corner lot. Double attached in the front, and a giant 30x40 out back. So jealous! lol

egmilano
10-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Makes me wonder how many family's will be living under that roof considering the double in the frot and now in the back lol Home owner in my opinion is an idiot, why would you build a garage there knowing you dont own the property/grass you intend to drive on to enter your garage.

speedog
10-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by egmilano
Makes me wonder how many family's will be living under that roof considering the double in the frot and now in the back lol Home owner in my opinion is an idiot, why would you build a garage there knowing you dont own the property/grass you intend to drive on to enter your garage.
Just one, but a big one with lots of aunts/uncles/grandparents/whatever.

Go4Long
10-29-2012, 05:03 PM
I actually hope that they're not allowed to remove the tree. Teach them for not doing it right in the first place.

Xtrema
10-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Yeah, I have a buddy in the NW with a sweet ass corner lot. Double attached in the front, and a giant 30x40 out back. So jealous! lol

Isn't C_Dave's place similar to this as well?

FraserB
10-29-2012, 05:20 PM
Didn't realize this was in Quarry Park. Remington pretty much owns all of it lol.

Of course there are going to be architectural controls there and it looks like she is right on the right of way, coupled with the fact no permits were pulled = SOL.

Make them tear it down and re-landscape so it complies. Maybe next time they will read how to do it properly.

thetransporter
10-29-2012, 06:08 PM
what would of happened if she lived in a older community? and still had the permits?

Toma
10-29-2012, 06:17 PM
She clams she had permits for garage, builder claims she had no permits for the driveway.

Someone fucked up. This would not happen in an older community. We have back alleys.

Go4Long
10-29-2012, 06:24 PM
It would still happen in an older area if she had that much of the land covered.

Seth1968
10-29-2012, 06:31 PM
From the video:

"His point is, we're not welcome to be here".

Let's pull out that race card.

rage2
10-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Makes me wonder how many family's will be living under that roof considering the double in the frot and now in the back lol
Only 1 family in my house, and I could use another 2 garage spots haha. But that's cuz I'm a car whore.

why would you build a garage there knowing you dont own the property/grass you intend to drive on to enter your garage.
Aren't sidewalks owned by the city? Because almost everyone with a front garage has to drive over the city sidewalk to get in.

Go4Long
10-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
From the video:

"His point is, we're not welcome to be here".

Let's pull out that race card.

no, she says "we're so disappointed because it seems like we're not welcome here"

Which, if it were any other news outlet but CBC the follow up question would have been "ever think that it might just be your garage is not welcome here?" but really, to be honest, no other "serious" news station would have touched this story at all.

Duckman
10-29-2012, 08:31 PM
I call Bullshit. The homeowner may have got the permits for the garage itself but she also needs a separate permit for the driveway and boulevard crossing.
As much as the city can be an unbelievable PITA to deal with, when all the T's are crossed and I's dotted, things go fine. Somewhere along the line she missed something. Nice play on the race card BTW.

thetransporter
10-29-2012, 08:35 PM
i dont think its the race card- the whole thing is silly.

blueToy
10-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Anybody else notice that the bottom step of the stairs is adjacent to the opening for the garage ? Totally unsafe . I can't believe a builder would even build a structure like that . You could be backing out and totally wipe out someone coming down the stairs . I'm willing to bet this garage will be coming down soon . No way she got permit for it .

Also , her back neighbours would now be looking out directly to the side of her garage . Bet she pissed everyone around her .

7thgenvic
10-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
Because renting gives you so many more rights to modify the property?

woahhhh baller.....

Makes me happy to rent and own... :)

Another reason I hate these cookie cutter communities. Poor riddle chinese lady :(
She just needs extra space for her incoming famiry.

bleu
10-29-2012, 11:26 PM
LOL...that sucks.

Quarry Park has really come along last time I was there (3-4 yrs)

Xtrema
10-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Finally watched it. Agree that its done without permit. If she did get one, the city fucked up.

DEATH2000
10-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Just drive around the tree. Less snow you need to shovel in the winter :rofl:

r3ccOs
10-30-2012, 06:39 AM
The details of the situation weren't fully disclosed in this short 30 second video

I doubt that Cardel built the second garage on a lot without all permits in order and without it being approved or zoned by the City let alone the developer, Remmington

She makes it seem like she's a victim in this circumstance, and I'm thinking she's just trying to gain sympathy by calling in CTV and playing the "I didn't know" ignorance card.

there are idiots here who have done the same thing in my community...
buy a "move-up" with a double attached backing onto a back lane, and put up another double garage to park their truck/toys and an RV beside it...

I know for fact the one behind my buddies has no permits, was not allowed... but because it only bothers the duplex homes behind him, his own neighbors have yet to complain, and for some reason the developer don't care.

Maxt
10-30-2012, 06:50 AM
The other issue is, where are the utilities running underground to her house and to others.. She may have built over top of the utilities already, and the needed connecting driveway maybe covering more. I know you can build over a gas line, but you have to sign a waiver that if it has to be repaired, all costs are covered by your dime.
And yes amazingly , the city is very accommodating when it comes to extra and big garages, they love the added property tax revenue. It's sad you can build a bigger garage for a single dwelling in the City than you can in the MD of Foothills.

Masked Bandit
10-30-2012, 08:24 AM
So what is this 45% rule? Can someone that actually knows advise on this? Is it as simple as only up to 45% of your lot can be covered by permanent structures (would exclude garden sheds & such)?

cet
10-30-2012, 08:50 AM
They have a little bit about it here (http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Pages/Home-building-and-renovations/Garage-or-shed/Garage-or-Shed.aspx)

In most communities, the maximum parcel coverage for all buildings on the property cannot exceed 45%. The maximum area covered by accessory buildings cannot exceed 75 square metres or the building coverage of the main residential building, whichever is the lesser. To determine the maximum parcel coverage allowed in your area, please contact the Planning Services Support Centre at 403-268-5311.

It doesn't include decks but does included garages and sheds.

guessboi
10-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Home owner in my opinion is an idiot, why would you build a garage there knowing you dont own the property/grass you intend to drive on to enter your garage.

Well said! :thumbsup:

blitz
10-30-2012, 11:08 AM
I had a very similar lot at my last house. They city assigns each lot a driveway easement for street access. It's in a specific spot linked to the lot and cannot be moved without approval. We tried to move driveway when we were building, but the city denied it, citing concerns with visibility around the corner.

She needed to fill out one of these City of Calgary Driveway Access (http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis/DirectDownload.aspx?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calgary.ca%2FPDA%2FDBA%2FDocuments%2Fcarls%2Fdriveway_accessing_street_developed_area.pdf&noredirect=1&sf=1) and it sounds like she didn't.

Go4Long
10-30-2012, 11:21 AM
you're assuming she ever talked to the city at all. :poosie:

Sugarphreak
10-30-2012, 11:35 AM

max_boost
10-30-2012, 11:49 AM
LOL WTF

I'm gonna drive by and check this out as this is just down the street from where I work.

So she has a front garage but decided to build a side one? Is that the issue here? :confused:

digi355
10-30-2012, 12:38 PM
I live close to this place. I've been watching the garage for months. They took possession of the house without the garage. It went up after the house was built. That's not to say that Cardel didn't build it for them, but whoever built it, did so after possession.

The houses in that neighborhood all come with landscaped yards. When the grass went in, I thought, "WTF would they do that for? Maybe it's a workshop or a garage for quads?" Then the tree went in and I really started wondering WTF was going on?

The only thing that makes me think it was a fuck up on the City's part is the finish of the garage. The finish of it is really well done and matches the house. My assumption is anyone that takes the time and expense to do it like that, knows what they're doing and did it properly? Permits and all. I mean the company - not the home owner. There's no way that lady built the garage.

Also, there is a front attached garage.

Go4Long
10-30-2012, 12:44 PM
It wasn't built by the builder, and finishing it the same as the house isn't to hard, it's not like they're using finishes that you can't buy at a hardware store, it's just simple color matching.

GoChris
10-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Funny. There is a house near me that has a double in the front and a double in the back. Between the rear garage and the rear of the house is a deck and a patio. They literally have no yard except beside the driveway in the front. I'd be surprised if it wasn't way more than 45% coverage.

Go4Long
10-30-2012, 01:10 PM
deck and patio aren't part of the permanent structure and there for aren't calculated into that 45% number.

blueToy
10-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by digi355

Also, there is a front attached garage.

Ah ...makes sence now . Maybe she thought nobody would notice an extra double garage on her property .
My guess ... and this is just a wild guess ... but her kids need their own garage so she took charge and arranged to hire the cheapest and less honest of dudes to get'r dun .
What i find really sad is that she totally is clueless to the fact that her neighbours are probably not to happy about her choice of " landscaping " .
She took a 20 thousand dollar gamble and failed twice . Once when she got the tree planted the other when she went public with this .

blueToy
10-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
Funny. There is a house near me that has a double in the front and a double in the back. Between the rear garage and the rear of the house is a deck and a patio. They literally have no yard except beside the driveway in the front. I'd be surprised if it wasn't way more than 45% coverage.

From the quick look i had it looks like she is on a corner lot and there is no rear lane . Another thing about this garage is that it may exit onto a roadway that is busy or not designed to have traffic backing out on it ... like a collecter .

FraserB
10-30-2012, 01:22 PM
The funny thing is that she will eventually get told to take it down. If they create a precedent that crying on the news and playing the race card allows you to bypass the correct way, everyone will do it.

rob the knob
10-30-2012, 09:25 PM
is this house or even empty lot on google street view?

Cos
10-30-2012, 09:40 PM

mrsingh
10-30-2012, 10:28 PM
So is this property also violating some sort of city rules?

http://www.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?&PropertyId=12340006&PidKey=867523177

http://www.myvisuallistings.com/vt/90914

Go4Long
10-30-2012, 10:41 PM
From the pictures that's a big ass lot for a new community, I could still see that being less than 45% coverage just based on how much green space is still on the near side of the lot. And no one is saying it's illegal to have a second garage. It is however against the law to build permanent structures without getting proper permits.

mrsingh
10-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Figured as much, just wondering as it really is a rare sight to see both attached and detached garages together, especially in newer communities.

Go4Long
10-30-2012, 10:58 PM
In the newer communities it would be really rare to meet the coverage requirements. 8 foot side yards means you're covering a lot of the lot just with the footprint of the house. Even most of the corner lots don't have that much space between the house and the curb.

TomcoPDR
10-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Time to call in our City of Calgary resident member.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/city-of-calgary-sidewalk-job-nailed-it-/showthread.php?s=&threadid=358853&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=3

dexlargo
10-31-2012, 12:37 PM
From what is said in the video, the developer says that she didn't get approval to connect the garage to the street.

I think that's probably right, and that she did get the proper building permits for the structure.

Like someone said earlier, the most likely result is that she is granted an easement and the City allows it connect to the street - unless when the other permits were given, the City gave explicit notice that they would not allow her to connect to street and to be aware of that prior to building.

Honestly, if I lived in the community, if the structure is properly permitted so can't be ordered taken down, I would want the City to grant the easement because the garage looks stupid without a driveway, and that stupid look would likely bring down home values more than having one non-conforming driveway in the community.

Cos
11-03-2012, 07:57 AM

speedog
11-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Man that realtor really needs to stage that house better. What a POS set up. Looks retarded. Two old ass TV's. Steering wheel in the living room.

:facepalm:
The empty toilet paper roll in image 20 is the best - like c'mon, you couldn't have taken the time to put a new roll on.

http://media.linkatour.com/tours-fs/90/90914/thumbs/550x410/virtual-tour-90914-20-1345705347-enlarge.jpg

Actually, the dead-ass lawn and weeds add a special touch too in the last few pictures.

CompletelyNumb
11-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Man that realtor really needs to stage that house better. What a POS set up. Looks retarded. Two old ass TV's. Steering wheel in the living room.

:facepalm:

:rofl:

Sugarphreak
11-03-2012, 08:51 AM

Cos
11-03-2012, 08:53 AM

Sugarphreak
11-03-2012, 08:54 AM

Tik-Tok
11-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Massive fail on my part :facepalm:

This is what I get for surfing Beyond at 8:30 on a Saturday

I never post before at least half my morning coffee is gone, lol.