PDA

View Full Version : Second Generation Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Friend sent me this link today:

Second Gen Direzza (http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-tires-wheels/249362-let-me-introduce-new-tire-dunlop-direzza-ii.html)

A2VR6
10-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Interesting, I wonder how it will perform in the wet vs. the original Star Specs. Seems like there is less siping.

Kramerica
10-29-2012, 11:58 PM
What's the life like daily driving these kinds of tires? I know they're basically Autocross cheater tires, but the only ones I've actually see in the real world was at the junkyard and the inside part of the tread was worn pretty good. Was thinking of buying some for Autocross but if the wear is so bad that I can't drive to red deer and back without having to put them on at the event to avoid replacing them within the year I can't be bothered.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Kramerica
What's the life like daily driving these kinds of tires? I know they're basically Autocross cheater tires, but the only ones I've actually see in the real world was at the junkyard and the inside part of the tread was worn pretty good. Was thinking of buying some for Autocross but if the wear is so bad that I can't drive to red deer and back without having to put them on at the event to avoid replacing them within the year I can't be bothered.

This summer I got 17000km of street driving, 100ish auto x runs, and a couple of hard nights of hooning around with mine and I was still above the wear bars when I took them off a couple weeks ago. I have already purchased another set of Direzzas for next year.

FullFledgedYYC
10-30-2012, 08:45 AM
My first gens went about 25,000kms.

Skyline_Addict
10-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Great tires and you can get a lot more out of them than most people think. Proper alignment is key.

Cheeba
10-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
Interesting, I wonder how it will perform in the wet vs. the original Star Specs. Seems like there is less siping.

+1. I love Star Specs in all regards, and although I'd obviously like some more dry grip and steering response, I hope it doesn't come at the expense of wet traction.

Like others have indicated, I can't believe the life you can get out of these tires at their rather high performance level - tire technology has been really incredible these last several years.

flipstah
10-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Perhaps my new set of rubber for Spring 2013!

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Perhaps my new set of rubber for Spring 2013!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, talk to Tunerworks for ordering too when you are ready, they are great!

A2VR6
10-30-2012, 02:14 PM
One thing about the originals I didnt like and I hope they improve with the second generation Star Specs is the road noise. These tires are loud as hell.

94boosted
10-30-2012, 07:35 PM
I loved the Star Specs on my old Balt SS, made a ~2 second per lap difference for me in autocross. I wasn't as lucky with wear as you guys though I chewed through more than half the tire tread after only ~7000km's, ~10 autocross events and one or two track days (and no I didn't have aggressive toe or camber settings).

Here's to hoping they make these ones in 285/35/18's and 345/30/19's :drool:

Cheeba
10-31-2012, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
One thing about the originals I didnt like and I hope they improve with the second generation Star Specs is the road noise. These tires are loud as hell.

Haha, I honestly had no idea about them being loud! My car is so loud and stiff and rattly that I'd never be able to accurately evaluate tire noise. Plus, in Spring, when I take off the studded Winters and put the Star Specs on, I feel like they're the quietest tire in the World anyway :D