PDA

View Full Version : Itching without a rash. (not a STD/STI)

DJ Lazy
10-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Does anyone else suffer from skin itching without a rash or hives (or any sign of anything)?

It been bugging me for probably 3 weeks or so. I get it around the sides of my ribcage and on my abdomen. Typically the worst itch happens in the shower in the mornings.

It's not so bad that it's driving me crazy but I found a link today on google and it seems like this is rampant among others dating back to 2006 when the first post was made by an individual asking the same question. (as you can see there is over 500+ posts made on this link alone)

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/Extreme-Itching-all-over-body-w-NO-rash--welts-or-hives/show/6426?page=1

While I still plan to see a Dr. or Dermatologist about it, it seems that no doctor anyone has seen has prescribed or diagnosed what it is or anything that really works. I am basically looking to see if any beyonders have had similar symptoms (or know individuals with similar itching)

I've also stumbled across this link, which would seem to very similar to what happens to me, but I do get it at other times in the day, just not nearly as bad as when in the shower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquagenic_pruritus

I have also ruled out Shingles, as that seems to only really happen on one side of the body or the other, based on some of the reading I've done today. Not to mention there is visible signs of rash/lesions

shakalaka
10-30-2012, 11:17 AM
I thought about skin dryness, but you say it's mostly in the shower? Hmm...strange.

Tik-Tok
10-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Do you have a water softener? If yes, is it empty?

It's weird, we have one, and I'm pretty lazy about filling it. When it gets empty, I start itching, but then I get used to not having it and the itching goes away. When I eventually get to filling it up, I start itching, but then get used to the soft water again.

Or, you might just want to try a different body-wash.

DJ Lazy
10-30-2012, 11:32 AM
No we don't have a soft water tank and I've been living in this place for over 2 years now, and this is the first time I've gotten the itches.

I should try switching Body washes, perhaps back to something I've used previously. I constantly try something new so perhaps the current one is bothering me, although I'm doubtful its the body wash as the itch seems to flare up not long after being in contact with the water prior to washing. But I do get it at other times which

Like mentioned the shower is the worst time I feel it. I'm sitting here right now though and I can feel the "presence" of the itch but it's not so bad that I feel the need to scratch.

When it's prevalent it more annoying that anything, but by the sounds of that first link some people have had it for years with a greater degree of irritation. I could see that driving people crazy. :nut:

got_mike33
10-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Could be the shower, hot water will actually dry out your skin and with the lack of moisture in the city and the hard water, could be a likely cause...

Kloubek
10-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Certainly switch body washes, and try to find one that doesn't have much fragrance in it. In fact, maybe skip the body wash altogether and use some natural soap for a bit and see if it helps.

JAYMEZ
10-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Try changing...
- Bed Sheets
- Laundry Detergent and Dryer sheets
- You could have really dry skin from the weather and alot of things are irritating it.
- Buy a non scented moisturizer and put it on the areas that are itchy until the itch goes away

Kijho
10-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Everything everyone has said above is brilliant and I think definitely helpful for you man.
Bed sheets, body washes, if you use a "foam builder" (the manly term for a loofa lol) could be that.

Could even be allergic, something you're eating or drinking before bed and just happens when you wake up and shower.

Could be the detergent of your bed sheets when you wash them or the detergent on your clothing.

zipdoa
10-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Get a chlorine filter for your shower head. Even if it solve your itchiness, it's always a good idea to eliminate chlorine gas from your respiratory system.

DeleriousZ
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Kind of sounds like dry skin to me. Try moisturizing with a hypo-allergenic moisturizer and see if that helps.

Also, I find going easy on the cocaine helps :bigpimp:

DJ Lazy
10-30-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I will try a few things posted above (had planned to anyways) as well as increasing my Vitamin B12 intake, which has been suggested in some of the links I have been reading through.

No one else has had similar affects?

Darell_n
10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

No one else has had similar affects?

Yes, from a lack of soft water and my wife's new perfume. I set both straight when we got married.

psi_klops
10-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Weird I have the exact same thing. It's usually worst when I'm taking a hot shower in the morning. And its only on my right abdomen.

The doctor i saw perscribed hydrocortisone acet 1% cream. I used it for a bit and all was well. The symptoms recently resurfaced so I'll have to start eliminating things one by one to track the allergic reaction.

DJ Lazy
10-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by psi_klops
Weird I have the exact same thing. It's usually worst when I'm taking a hot shower in the morning. And its only on my right abdomen.

The doctor i saw perscribed hydrocortisone acet 1% cream. I used it for a bit and all was well. The symptoms recently resurfaced so I'll have to start eliminating things one by one to track the allergic reaction.

Do the showers bother you even when using that cream?

psi_klops
10-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Not as much. Last time I stopped using the cream after a few days as the itch was pretty much gone and the issue didn't resurface until now (months later).

CanmoreOrLess
10-31-2012, 09:27 PM
Sounds like bedbugs:

An unexplained itch can be disconcerting. Unfortunately a bite mark does not provide significant indicators to establish the specific cause. For example, bed bugs are diagnosed from physical evidence such as: cast skins, faecal stains, bed bug eggs, bed bug nymphs or adults. In the summer, the odd itchy bite spot is assumed to be a mosquitoe. And yes, heat from a hot shower, exercise or steam bath will cause the bite to act up - turn red and itch. As your body cools down the itch disapates. The University of Kentucky has a paper explaining 'invisible itches' - a good read, covering everything from bed bugs and carpet beetle larvae to air pollution.
Source(s):

University of Kentucky 'Invisible Itches':

[url]http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ent58.asp