PDA

View Full Version : Disney Buying Lucasfilm for $4 Billion

Feruk
10-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Disney bought Lucasfilm and wanna make another Star Wars movie...

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2012/10/30/disney-buys-lucasfilm-plans-star-wars-episode-7-by-2015/

I wonder whether to be excited or grossed out.

rizfarmer
10-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Finally! Star Wars films for our generation to actually be excited about

5:03 p.m. | Updated LOS ANGELES — The Walt Disney Company, in a move that gives it a commanding position in the realm of fantasy movies, said Tuesday it had agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. from its founder, George Lucas, for $4.05 billion in stock and cash.

The sale provides a corporate home for a private company that grew from Mr. Lucas’s hugely successful “Star Wars” series, and became an enduring force in creating effects-driven science fiction entertainment for large and small screens. Mr. Lucas, who is 68 years old, had already announced he would step down from day-to-day operation of the company.

In a hastily convened conference call with investors Tuesday afternoon, Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, said the company plans to release a seventh “Star Wars” feature film in 2015, with new films in the series coming every two or three years after that. Mr. Lucas will be a consultant on the film projects, Mr. Iger said.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/disney-buying-lucas-films-for-4-billion/

Tik-Tok
10-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Awesome, can't wait to see more JarJar Binks type characters :facepalm:

HHURICANE1
10-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Mickey in space? It's not like Lucas hasn't done enough damage to the franchise in recent years with his updates. :barf:

DeleriousZ
10-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Sweet jesus.

Maybe this means Lucas will finally stop trying to fuck up a miracle series that happened in spite of his attempts to murder it.

beecue
10-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Might be good. Disney owns Marvel too and they are still pretty good. :dunno:

DeleriousZ
10-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
Mickey in space? It's not like Lucas hasn't done enough damage to the franchise in recent years with his updates. :barf:

This. Star Wars is amazing in spite of Lucas, not because of him.

beecue
10-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Starring RDJ as Luke Skywalker?

JAYMEZ
10-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Mesa have a bad feeling about this :banghead:

FullFledgedYYC
10-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Seems Disney is hell bent on ensuring their film division starts bringing in some profit rather than just relying on the parks to save their ass every quarter.

Good luck...

Inzane
10-30-2012, 04:15 PM
After the abyssmally bad prequel films I shudder at the thought of more SW.

However, now that Lucas is stepping down to a mere "creative consultant" that provides a glimmer of hope that the series could be redeemed. I've suspected for quite a long time that there are others out there that could probably do Star Wars better than Lucas himself could.

We shall see...

Type_S1
10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Awesome, not a fan of the series but enjoyed the movies. I take them at face value and always am open to more entertainment.

rizfarmer
10-30-2012, 04:29 PM
This is generally though to be a good thing for Star Wars fans since Lucas won't be directing the next film. Disney has plans to resurect the franchise as has been done with Dark Knight or the Daniel Craig Bond films.

Use your imagination..... Star Wars with a relevant all-star hollywood director.

kvg
10-30-2012, 04:34 PM
They need to hire Quentin Tarantino to make the first good star wars:dunno:

403Gemini
10-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Keep in mind Disney bought Marvel and any movie they've been involved in has been VERY successful for the superhero franchise - they did Avengers afterall.

I feel like this move will SAVE the Star Wars franchise more than harm it. Lucas basically regurgitated and puked up the "revised/updated" version of the original trilogy and spit it in peoples mouths, then shit in everybodies mouths with the prequels ep 1-3.

Disney isn't stupid, just because they own the franchise doesn't mean they are going to make it carebear-esque.

Originally posted by Inzane
After the abyssmally bad prequel films I shudder at the thought of more SW.

However, now that Lucas is stepping down to a mere "creative consultant" that provides a glimmer of hope that the series could be redeemed. I've suspected for quite a long time that there are others out there that could probably do Star Wars better than Lucas himself could.

We shall see...

For the first 3 movies, (ep 4-6) he was more or less just a creative consultant as well. He had very little to do with writing it / putting everything together , he was more of a reference material where he paid people to create the ideas in his mind. Once he took a hold of the wheel and was direclty involved with ep 1-3 you saw how bad of a writer/director he actually was... I mean, who doesn't love gems such as this:

"Padme: We used to come here for school retreat. We would swim to that island every day. I love the water. We used to lie out on the sand and let the sun dry us and try to guess the names of the birds singing.
Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth. "

or

"Padmé: "Ani, I want to have our baby back on Naboo. Back in the Lake Country... where no one would ever know. I could go back early, set up the baby's room. I know the perfect spot, by the gardens."
Anakin: "You are so... beautiful."
Padmé: "It's only because I'm so in love."
Anakin: "No, it's because I'm so in love with you."
Padmé: "So love has blinded you?"
Anakin: "No, no, that's not what I meant."
Padmé: "But it's probably true."

*cringe*

HHURICANE1
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
I just keep thinking Tron 2 and shudder.

kvg
10-30-2012, 04:51 PM
The need to start it all over

Xtrema
10-30-2012, 08:57 PM
So episode 7 with original cast?

Solo and Leia's son will be played by Shia Lebouf.

And Lebouf will also play the new Indy. Boom, 5 picture deal. Lol

treg50
10-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Maybe the new management will release the 'original' original Trilogy on Blu-Ray, not the remastered and re-edited crap that's currently available.

Kramerica
10-30-2012, 10:26 PM
maybe they'll finally be able to get David Lynch to direct one

eglove
10-30-2012, 10:35 PM
:drool: :drool: :love: :love: :love:

HiTempguy1
10-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by treg50
Maybe the new management will release the 'original' original Trilogy on Blu-Ray, not the remastered and re-edited crap that's currently available.

:drool:

almerick
10-30-2012, 10:50 PM
I always thought that Disney already owned Lucasfilms with all the StarWars themed attractions at their parks and what not.. I guess I was wrong.

JC522
10-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Princess Leia is my new fav Disney princess. Return of the Jedi Leia, not current Carrie Fischer. I wonder if they're going to start when Luke starts a new jedi academy on Yavin IV, there's so many stories already out there that I'm sure it would pretty much write itself

JAYMEZ
10-31-2012, 12:54 AM
I hope they make a more dark theme star wars .. I mean the first 3 original movies are classics , lame now .. but Hella good when we all saw em back in the day.

As for the news ones.. The 1st new one was OK.. the second one was pathetic and the CGI just looked pathetic the majority of the time , acting was piss poor and just insulted the first ones.

spikerS
10-31-2012, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by kvg
They need to hire Quentin Tarantino to make the first good star wars:dunno:

Only a fucking hipster would think that. If he got his hands directing a SW movie, I would make a youtube video with flash cards.

taemo
10-31-2012, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing more movies based on the Star Wars Universe but IMO they shouldn't touch the original trilogy the shitty trilogy and leave those as it is.

Hell maybe just make movies based on the SW video games

Masked Bandit
10-31-2012, 08:12 AM
There is a bunch of Star Wars stuff at Disneyland already, I thought they had already bought the rights.

I see nothing but positive out of this move.

chibwack
10-31-2012, 08:22 AM
Once I get over the fact that its disney and they make all these feel good family movies, they actually make some pretty good stuff, so I'm excited for this. The biggest way they could ruin these new movies would be to cater them to kids, which could very well happen with that cartoon version being so popular. So please, please disney. Make it for us adults who grew up on the trilogy!

Edit: Just read on the wikipedia page, they don't plan on following canon at all, and rather will start a completely original story with luke/han/leia. Very mixed feelings on this.

Feruk
10-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I mean, who doesn't love gems such as this:

"Padme: We used to come here for school retreat. We would swim to that island every day. I love the water. We used to lie out on the sand and let the sun dry us and try to guess the names of the birds singing.
Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth. "

or

"Padmé: "Ani, I want to have our baby back on Naboo. Back in the Lake Country... where no one would ever know. I could go back early, set up the baby's room. I know the perfect spot, by the gardens."
Anakin: "You are so... beautiful."
Padmé: "It's only because I'm so in love."
Anakin: "No, it's because I'm so in love with you."
Padmé: "So love has blinded you?"
Anakin: "No, no, that's not what I meant."
Padmé: "But it's probably true."

*cringe*

I just threw up a little in my mouth... George Lucas' writing/directing skills are on par with Sly Stallone.

Kg810
10-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by spikers

Only a fucking hipster would think that. If he got his hands directing a SW movie, I would make a youtube video with flash cards.

+1... A Quentin Tarantino Star Wars movie would be fucking retarded.

I'm kinda excited that Disney owns Star Wars/LucasFilm, mainly because I want to see a Star Wars theme park at Disney haha. I can just imagine a giant ass Death Star like Spaceship Earth at Epcot.

DeleriousZ
10-31-2012, 08:44 AM
[B]Keep in mind Disney bought Marvel and any movie they've been involved in has been VERY successful for the superhero franchise - they did Avengers afterall.

You can thank Joss Whedon for making the Avengers decent ;)

Hopefully they follow more along the lines of the 2003-2005 Clone wars animated series (the ones done by the same guys who did samurai jack, not that CGI animated ABOMINATION.) In terms of direction and style.

DENZILDON
10-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Kg810

I'm kinda excited that Disney owns Star Wars/LucasFilm, mainly because I want to see a Star Wars theme park at Disney haha. I can just imagine a giant ass Death Star like Spaceship Earth at Epcot.

There is a 3D star wars ride on Hollywood Studios in Florida but that's it. Hopefully they create a whole new park just for star wars, that would be epic!

Inzane
10-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by rizfarmer
Use your imagination..... Star Wars with a relevant all-star hollywood director.

As long as it's not Michael fucking Bay. Anybody but him....

Originally posted by HHURICANE1
I just keep thinking Tron 2 and shudder.

You had a problem with Tron Legacy? :dunno: I thought it was great. Not fantastic, or everything that it could've been, but definitely more good than bad. (Story could've used a bit of work, etc.)

BerserkerCatSplat
10-31-2012, 09:39 AM

No kidding, aside from being the most overrated director on the planet, I just can't imagine him fitting the style of Star Wars.

I'll take Joss Whedon, please.

Xtrema
10-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

There is a 3D star wars ride on Hollywood Studios in Florida but that's it. Hopefully they create a whole new park just for star wars, that would be epic!

They got tons of land in Florida.

Creating a new Star Wars theme park won't be hard. Park revenue has been low, they need something new to inject into the system anyway.

I know Star Wars has always been kid friendly and PG-13. But don't expect the franchise going dark anytime soon under Disney.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
I'll take Joss Whedon, please.

With Avengers 2 and TV series, he won't have time for this. Stop dreaming.

DeleriousZ
10-31-2012, 10:03 AM
What TV series is Whedon doing now?

BerserkerCatSplat
10-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

With Avengers 2 and TV series, he won't have time for this. Stop dreaming.

I want to believe!

But seriously, there's no way he'd get the E7 in 2015 between Avengers 2 and S.H.I.E.L.D., but Disney's got a huge hard-on for Whedon right now and I could see them giving him the reigns on one of the followup films if whoever does E7 doesn't knock it out of the park.

D'z Nutz
10-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Kg810
+1... A Quentin Tarantino Star Wars movie would be fucking retarded.

Could be worst. M. Night Shamallamamamadrama could write and direct it and it'd end with the whole Star Wars universe being Spock's dream.

Xtrema
10-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
What TV series is Whedon doing now?

A TV Series based on SHIELD agents and none of the super heros.

ArjayAquino
10-31-2012, 03:53 PM
http://medias.omgif.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Darth-Vader-goes-to-disneyland.gif

Tik-Tok
10-31-2012, 04:16 PM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/rape.png

Adrenaline101
10-31-2012, 07:00 PM
Id much rather they leave most of the current Star Wars movie story lines alone and focus on something either super far back in time. say KOTOT or TOR ages or way ahead to the Vong wars/ way down the skywalker family tree

403Gemini
11-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

You can thank Joss Whedon for making the Avengers decent ;)

Actually you can thank a lot of the people who worked with Joss Whedon for that. I spoke to one of the guys that worked on the concept art for Avengers at comic con and he said that A LOT was changed for what Joss Whedon had planned out - Joss Whedon had A LOT of the action scenes done to be campy/fun and made for TV but the producers had to tell him "No... we actually want to make this serious...", they still let him slip in a few gems (Hulk punching Thor, Hulk smashing Loki etc) but could you imagine an entire movie where all fight scenes looked like a Saturday morning cartoon?

Don't get me wrong, I love Joss Whedon and he has done a lot of good work, but seeing his other work, I can see what he was saying. If you watch Firefly/Serenity, has some good action, but there is a long of tongue in cheek stuff that takes you out of the action a bit.

EDIT:

What I REALLY hope Disney does is re-release the THX remastered VHS version of star wars onto bluray (the non-fucked up ones... where Han shot first, no added scenes/effects). I'd buy it in a heart beat... then I'd have 4 copies of the original trilogy (THX on VHS, DVD, Blu ray special edition, then if that came out THX blu ray :rofl: )

DeleriousZ
11-01-2012, 09:10 AM
To this day, aside from Top Gear, Firefly is (was :() my favorite tv series.

(and I bet if Joss had his way, Nathan Fillion would have been cast as Hawkeye lol)

JordanEG6
11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure if I like the idea of Disney buying out Lucas Film to continue his 'legacy'. I guess it could be good, but with Hollywood's track record for remakes and long overdue sequels/prequels, it will probably be terrible.

:rofl: :rofl:

beecue
01-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Looks like JJ Lens Flares Abrams is directing the new movie. I love his work so I'm ok with this but I'm not a Star Wars die hard fan.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/24/jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii?abthid=5101aa1e8edfc2245c0000cc

Ben Affleck is a sick director. That would have been interesting to watch.

Mibz
01-24-2013, 04:52 PM
Well that's pretty much the best thing that could've happened.

DeleriousZ
01-25-2013, 01:03 AM
I heard that it was JJ but I never made the connection to the stuff he's done. I'm halfway thru season 2 of Fringe and it's spectacular so far. Excited to see the direction the franchise goes in!

UndrgroundRider
01-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Well that's pretty much the best thing that could've happened.

JJ Abrams is a fucking hack. He ruins pretty much everything he touches. Please explain how that's the best thing that could have happened?

Mibz
01-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
JJ Abrams is a fucking hack. He ruins pretty much everything he touches. Please explain how that's the best thing that could have happened? Star Trek.

If you didn't like it then, well, I'm sorry to hear that, but if he does to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek then I'll be the happiest little boy at the theatre.

Unknown303
01-25-2013, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Star Trek.

If you didn't like it then, well, I'm sorry to hear that, but if he does to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek then I'll be the happiest little boy at the theatre. :werd: :werd: :werd:

403Gemini
01-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

JJ Abrams is a fucking hack. He ruins pretty much everything he touches. Please explain how that's the best thing that could have happened?

I'll agree, his TV shows have a lot to be desired for... But his movies are excellent.

I mean Lost and Fringe, started off amazing. Both shows were excellent up to and including half of their season 3's... around the end of Season 3 for both Lost and Fringe I sat there with that dirty feeling of "I'm not going to get any answers...." and sure enough, you usually don't. It's like when he does TV shows, he just has too many ideas floating around in his head that he completely loses direction or seemingly gets bored and starts doing random things.

The season in lost where they were doing the flash forwards vs flash backs - hated that.

The island "disappearing" after going into an ice room? Ugh... was just STUPID. I missed season 1-3 where it was about "the others" and the feeling of discovery on the island. Also don't get me started on the ending... I would have accepted "It was all Walt's dream all along" more than purgatory...

With Fringe, I LOVED Fringe events... human transformation, psychics, monsters, etc.

When they introduced the parallel universe I became a bit bored, but still stuck with it... was interesting still...

Now with 100% devotion to "US VS THE OBSERVERS!" I'm fucking bored since it feels like a VERY watered down, generic sci-fi show.

I own every season of Fringe and have the entire last season on my PVR... Last season and including this season (the finale), I've had very little desire to watch it at all... just like with Lost, after season 5, I stopped watching completely.

However, with Star Trek, it was amazing. 1.5-2 hrs is enough for him to stay focused on the story that needs to be told, and his "random twists" are still fresh in his mind that he doesn't stray away at all.

I think this is a good decision.

Feruk
01-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Last season and including this season (the finale), I've had very little desire to watch it at all...
Then you've been missing out. Agreed that last season was weak, but they completely changed the show this season. Great twist for a final season.

beecue
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Also Abrams isn't too involved with the shows after he creates them.

D'z Nutz
01-25-2013, 10:51 AM
I own every season of Fringe and have the entire last season on my PVR... Last season and including this season (the finale), I've had very little desire to watch it at all... just like with Lost, after season 5, I stopped watching completely.

Yeah I was really hooked on the first few seasons of Fringe because it was like a modern X-Files but this last season is such a detour from where it started. I'm kinda glad it ended to be honest. I haven't even watched the last half of the season and I'm not even motivated to.

But yeah if he could do to Star Wars what he did to Star Trek, minus the annoying lens flare, that'd be fucking awesome. They just gotta get some good writers.

ipeefreely
01-26-2013, 04:15 PM
:)

jampack
01-26-2013, 04:20 PM
^lol

beecue
01-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Are people actually annoyed by the lens flares? I barely notice it and that's his style. I think people just jumped on the bandwagon once the nerds started mentioning it.

jampack
01-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by beecue
Are people actually annoyed by the lens flares? I barely notice it and that's his style. I think people just jumped on the bandwagon once the nerds started mentioning it.

I really like JJ Abrams. I'm curious how the next star wars would be. Cant wait for star trek 2. :)

blitz
01-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by beecue

I didn't notice it until I watched it a second time after seeing all the lens flare jokes. Then I really noticed it.

Mibz
01-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by blitz
I didn't notice it until I watched it a second time after seeing all the lens flare jokes. Then I really noticed it. Same here, but it was more funny than annoying.

DeleriousZ
01-27-2013, 08:23 PM
I've noticed it A LOT in fringe now, kind of a downer lol.

BigMass
01-28-2013, 08:38 AM
No matter what you think about JJ, after the prequels, there’s only one way to go and that’s up!

403Gemini
01-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
No matter what you think about JJ, after the prequels, there’s only one way to go and that’s up!

My thoughts exactly :thumbsup: