PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam a car than bag the shit out of it?

Redlyne_jr
11-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey Iv been reading a lot of reviews on sea foaming a car people say that you need to dump the fluid into the intake manifold and than you basically rev it up and it cleans the engine out? anyone else ever done this? thoughts on the process?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBxV7jvsyZY

yBxV7jvsyZY

Kijho
11-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Revving it up = bagging the shit out of it??????
Don't think you (atleast I don't) use it the way the guy is in that video. A lot of other good "how to" videos regarding it though. The way he's revving it into heavy boost just burns the seafoam quicker deeming it less effective.

I run seafoam treatments pretty frequently - have 3 cans sitting in my garage for future treatments, positive reviews.

7thgenvic
11-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I've been reading a ton about it on the VW Touareg forms. Lots of differing opinions on the stuff. Tricky process to make sure you do it right. Can't wait to see others chime in on the process...

Jsen-DC2
11-01-2012, 01:34 PM
I usually do it if the intake mani is gummed up, its a good way to clean the internals, i usually remove the intake infront of the throttle body, start the car and just spray it in there while balancing the throttle, if u dont balance it while spraying it, it will flood the motor, usually a big black cloud will come out the exhaust but it cleans very well, usually helps with idleing problems, etc

YCB
11-01-2012, 02:12 PM
instead of dumping into the manifold, you can use the brake booster vacuum hose and suck it up.

be sure to turn off your car after you suck it up, so it can sit for a bit before you fire her up again.

also suck it up slowly or engine will bog and stall.

done it a few times.. great smoke show lol.

a bit in the oil, a bit in the gas, and suck the rest

Tarrantula
11-01-2012, 02:13 PM
I used it in crankcase and Intake mani on my A6 4.2 - Worked well and throttle response was noticeably improved.

Hope this helps.

(if you put in crankcase, make sure you change oil withing 100km ish)

EDIT: EK is correct, I did a full service after running it (plugs, filters, 2 oil changes [one was about 3k after the initial change, to lessen chance of clogging])

EK 2.0
11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I think regardless of the method used for getting in and through the engine...

After the treatment an oil change, and spark plug change would be advisable...

I dunno just my thoughts...I don't really know a ton about it, never used it although it does intrigue me...

YamahaV8
11-01-2012, 03:04 PM
There is a good "how to use" section right on the website.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-spray.html

ArjayAquino
11-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
I think regardless of the method used for getting in and through the engine...

After the treatment an oil change, and spark plug change would be advisable...

I dunno just my thoughts...I don't really know a ton about it, never used it although it does intrigue me...

Yeah you should do an oil change soon after letting the car run with the seafoam in the crank case. I usually just wait 15 mins.

nobb
11-01-2012, 04:55 PM
On a similar note, an old mechanic's trick is to pour 1 quart of ATF in the crankcase, drive for <100km then do an oil change. Call me crazy if you'd like, but apparently the detergents are stronger in ATF than Seafoam. Might try this with my beater.

friedn00dles
11-04-2012, 09:58 AM
i usually do this every 2-3 years after taking my winter car out of storage and getting it ready for Edmonton's harsh winter.

1/3 of bottle into gas
1/3 of bottle into Crank Case
1/3 of bottle into vacuum line

The Vacuum line has to be done properly or you may end up flooding the motor. have a friend keep the motor at 1,000rpm as you slowly pour the fluid into the vacuum line. Once done turn off the motor and wait 20-30 mins to let it soak and break down the carbon build up.

Once time is up star the motor and honestly drive it like you stole it in a safe environment because there will be a shit ton of white smoke. It usually will take 15 mins to stop smoking.

When pouring into crankcase, i usually like to keep it in there for 500-1000km and then do an oilchange. Others have recommended to also do sparkplugs but i checked mine and they appear fine each time.

have fun!

v2kai
11-07-2012, 04:38 AM
had a friend just do the three stage clean on his winter beater recently. I think it was a nissan pathfinder with over 300K on the engine. Prior to the seafoam it ran fine and now he's got a mean knock going on. Almost sounds like a conrod bearing is gone. Needless to say I returned the seafoam I purchased to do my rav4 winter beater the following day.

EDIT: Seems he was too aggressive in his seafoaming and likely hydrolocked upon start up. Knocking was a bent conrod.

Did a ghetto steam clean of my engine instead using a spray bottle and tap water, spritzed into the throttle body around 2K-3K rpm. Pretty impressed with the results of the steam clean. My rav4 is also high mileage at 330K and valve seals are getting old resulting in a bit of oil consumption.

So far it seems the steam clean has a lot going for it with nothing to lose...

1. Cant beat the price and took all of 15 minutes to do
2. Engine is definitely smoother and more responsive
3. From early logging it looks like my fuel economy has improved significantly from this (will verify over a longer period with more refueling and comparison to previous documented mileage on fuelly.com)
4. No negatives so far...:clap:

azian_advanced
11-07-2012, 11:56 AM
can anyone comment on whether it destroys your cats?

THE GOVERNATOR
01-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by azian_advanced
can anyone comment on whether it destroys your cats?

I think it says on the bottle "cleans catalyst" i don't know if it actually does or not.

I use it on my car's twice a year (summer/winter winter/summer).
i haven't had any exhaust issues or error codes come up.

bart
01-26-2013, 11:01 PM
it doesn't do anything for DI

DeleriousZ
01-27-2013, 08:32 PM
if anything it might just gum up your o2 sensors but I can't say.

I've only done it a few times, but IIRC the instructions said for feeding it into the vacuum line, you're supposed to do it slowly for most of it, and right near the end dump it in so it stalls the engine. Let it sit for 10 minutes then fire the engine.

ryanallan
01-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Like others, I like to use the brake booster hose.

My $0.02:

I pour the bottle into glass jar so that I can see the liquid level. I then let the car idle while using the vacuum of the brake booster tube to suck up the fluid. If the car starts to die, I remove the hose until it settles down, and then resume sucking until 2/3 of the can is gone. I then pour the remaining 1/3 into my almost empty gas tank and shut the car off. I'll come back 1 hour later and start up the car, letting it idle until there's no smoke coming of the exhaust. After this I go for a drive and redline a couple of times until smoke free. Then back home for an oil change.