PDA

View Full Version : Gourmet Salt: Where to buy in town?

Street_Soldier
11-01-2012, 10:52 PM
So I'm looking for gourmet salt from Hawaii, Peru, the Himalaya etc...

Does anyone know where I can get some in town?

supe
11-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Community natural foods has Himalayan

FixedGear
11-01-2012, 11:07 PM
A street soldier looking for gourmet salt! :nut:

swak
11-01-2012, 11:11 PM
pardon my ignorance, but whats the difference?

salt is salt is salt is salt, no?

Kijho
11-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Oh man ^
The big rocks of salt you crush in a grinder is sooooooo much better than that white powdered no name box with the tiny silver openeing that pours out into the table shaker.

Difference is huge imo - but sodium is shitty anyways lol

wtf im nameless
11-02-2012, 05:05 AM
You can get it from the spice merchant at the farmers market on blackfoot trail.

blitz
11-02-2012, 06:29 AM
The Cookbook Company on 11th also has a nice selection.

Street_Soldier
11-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks guys will check them out.

vtec4life
11-02-2012, 09:59 AM
You can buy the big sea salt that comes in a grinder at superstore :dunno:

Graham_A_M
11-02-2012, 03:46 PM
^ Same with the course Atlantic sea salt, they have as well. Tastes no different then the shit you can buy from Nepal or where-ever else. :nut:

Salt is salt really.

supe
11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Same with the course Atlantic sea salt, they have as well. Tastes no different then the shit you can buy from Nepal or where-ever else. :nut:

Salt is salt really.

Salt isn't really just salt...

The white table salt you consume has been refined down to basically its bare element of sodium chloride then they add iodine.

Natural salt or unrefined sea salt maintains many trace elements and minerals, which some consider to be beneficial/essential to the body.

Then there is the whole iodine debacle.

LongCity
11-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Kijho
Oh man ^
The big rocks of salt you crush in a grinder is sooooooo much better than that white powdered no name box with the tiny silver openeing that pours out into the table shaker.

Difference is huge imo - but sodium is shitty anyways lol

No, it's not.

JustinMCS
11-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Homesense has a nice variety of better quality ingredients for a better price.

msommers
11-02-2012, 06:24 PM
I have the same salt thing from superstore. I'll check later but it's definitely sea salt, I think from Italy.

Disoblige
11-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by supe

Natural salt or unrefined sea salt maintains many trace elements and minerals, which some consider to be beneficial/essential to the body.
I've had different types of sea salt before, and I only like it because some of the ones I've tried are flavored (like smoked), they're less salty than table salt, and it's an interesting texture because it's not as miniscule as table salt.

It's like saying apples are apples, where even though it's true to an extent, different types of apples have their own taste/texture, etc.

milesmcewing
11-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Silk Road spice merchants carry many different kinds of salts and blends.

They are in inglewood - around 13-14 st

austic
11-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Co Op has tons of them, at least the one in Wentworth does for sure.

flipstah
11-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

I've had different types of sea salt before, and I only like it because some of the ones I've tried are flavored (like smoked), they're less salty than table salt, and it's an interesting texture because it's not as miniscule as table salt.

It's like saying apples are apples, where even though it's true to an extent, different types of apples have their own taste/texture, etc.

:thumbsup:

I was reading this thread and I wondered, "how is this better than the good ol' sea salt?"

The coarseness and texture is what makes it soo good.

Am I just being ignorant in saying that sea salt is awesome and that these 'gourmet' salts are just being snooty?

Random: White pepper just tastes like dust. :(

blitz
11-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I have like 12 salts in the pantry at any given time.

They're meant to finish a dish, not being mixed in. They all have different textures, flavours, moisture levels etc. Some don't dissolve as quickly so they maintain their 'crunch" longer. Some are mainly cosmetic, like black lava salt.

We don't even have normal table salt in the house. That stuff is shit.

Kosher salt for cooking, sea salt for general use, grey salt for pasta water, and fleur de sel/Himalayan/etc for finishing.

Saying "salt is salt" is sort of like saying canola oil is the same as olive oil.

A|pine
11-03-2012, 09:58 PM
^^What he said.

This place is a little expensive (Community is pretty expensive too)

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/bite-groceteria-calgary

Bite in inglewood offers all sorts of gourmet cooking ingredients. I found my sherry vinegar there from the Jerez region in Spain (where most good sherries are from). I'm sure they have quite a selection. The quintessential salt is kosher which you can get at any regular grocery store.

str8jkt
11-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I've seen a ton of different salts available at the Quarry Park Co-Op as well. They have a display with gift packs, variety packs and separate stuff for purchase. Just in the main door and over to the left.

asp integra
11-07-2012, 03:16 PM
just switched to kosher salt, its awesome! i dont really like regular salt at all but kosher is wicked!

bulaian
11-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Costco has Himalayan Salt

dingmah
11-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Downtown midtown marketplace Co-op has a whole shelf of this stuff. Pretty pricey though. Look for it near the meat coolers.

schocker
11-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by bulaian
Costco has Himalayan Salt
I picked some of that up but haven't tried it yet.

nonofyobiz
11-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Superstore has Himalayan salt rocks in a disposable (but refillable) grinder. I love the stuff. Never use reg salt either.

flipstah
11-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by asp integra
just switched to kosher salt, its awesome! i dont really like regular salt at all but kosher is wicked!

Kosher salt can add a derricious crust to your grilled/fried meats.

Salt-crusted grilled salmon right now... :drool: