PDA

View Full Version : SIN card stolen, could anything bad happen?

slinkie
11-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Someone broke into my car and took the SIN card I left in my armrest. (Along with some gum and $10 in change)

I'm pretty sure they just grabbed everything in the armrest and ran because they left my license, health care, and debit card.

Yes it's my own fault for leaving that stuff in my car but it's in a locked parkade with cameras, anyway I've certainly learned my lesson.

Anyway I don't think they're going for some crazy identity theft since they left all the other stuff, but I had a bank receipt from friday showing my balances...

On the bright side they left my new ECU sitting in the backseat lol

Should I go down to the Harry Hays building and tell them the situation? Or just forget about it?

Zhariak
11-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Report the SIN as stolen...

This protects you in the event something does happen...

slinkie
11-05-2012, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Zhariak
Report the SIN as stolen...

This protects you in the event something does happen...

Simple enough. Thanks

Zhariak
11-05-2012, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by slinkie

Simple enough. Thanks

No problemo :)

Whenever this kind of stuff happens, it's easy to spend a small amount of time to do the proper reporting, whether it's SIN cards, credit cards, debit cards, etc... Just because in the long run, if you don't it would raise flags if something did happen, and in that case the amount of time you'd have to spend on dealing with it would be a million times bigger then if you just spent the small time reporting it...

Sorry to hear it was stolen though... That sucks!

DeeK
11-05-2012, 08:07 AM
Report it. They could steal your entire identity should they choose to.

ByTeMe
11-05-2012, 08:44 AM
SIM card

l/l/rX
11-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by ByTeMe
SIM card

fail.

Gripenfelter
11-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I deal with SIN cards in my line of work (Govt).

You need to make a police report and call:

Equifax 1-800-465-7166

and

Trans Union 1-800-663-9980

Explain what happened so they can put extra security on your account. If you start receiving funny bills in the mail, contact your local Service Canada office to report SIN fraud.

Moonracer
11-05-2012, 09:58 AM
SIM card..
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tik-Tok
11-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by slinkie

Anyway I don't think they're going for some crazy identity theft since they left all the other stuff, but I had a bank receipt from friday showing my balances...

Petty thieves don't usually do identity theft, but they might sell the info to someone who does.

benyl
11-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Gripenfelter

Explain what happened so they can put extra security on your account. If you start receiving funny bills in the mail, contact your local Service Canada office to report SIN fraud.

Prepare for a world of hurt.

I "lost" my wallet once and reported it to Equifax and Trans Union.

I found my wallet a week later. By that time I had cancelled all my credit cards and got a new License, etc.

Every time I go into a big box store and try to get credit, it always gets denied. Then I get a call from equifax or TU asking if it is legit.

In other words, say good bye to instant credit checks.

This worked to my advantage in the US. If you sign up for a Macy's card (they sell TAG watches), you get an additional 15% if you timing is right. You credit app gets denied, but they still honor the 15% off. haha.

Gripenfelter
11-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Worst case of fraud I saw was someone losing their SIN card and birth certificate. Guy who found it made new photo ID with his pic on it.

Went to the bank and used above 3 pieces of ID to get a new bank card, set up a line of credit against the victim's house and defaulted.

FraserB
11-05-2012, 10:40 AM
What happens then? They lose their house or does it get sorted out?

Gripenfelter
11-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
What happens then? They lose their house or does it get sorted out?

If it's a major bank they might forgive the loan. Royal Bank forgave the loan in this case because it was argued that they had defeatable security measures in place. The bank didn't put up a fight.

If it was a smaller bank you would probably be stuck with it.

Tik-Tok
11-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Gripenfelter

If it's a major bank they might forgive the loan. Royal Bank forgave the loan in this case because it was argued that they had defeatable security measures in place. The bank didn't put up a fight.

If it was a smaller bank you would probably be stuck with it.

So WTF is the point of signing paperwork then? If you can't use the crooks signature to prove it wasn't you? Isn't THAT the entire point of signing tons and tons of paperwork?