PDA

View Full Version : Need more RAM. PC 100 or PC 133?

crazyning
02-12-2004, 01:16 AM
I'm looking to buy more RAM for the computer. Just had one problem: how do I check which standard my motherboard will be compatible with? I've heard from an unreliable source that some older motherboards may not be compatible with PC 133, and as a result, will slow things down.

Computer Details:
Pentium III processor running at 501Mhz
Currently with 192MB of RAM

Searched Google with a few results, but thought it would be easier to ask here.

Thanks.

D'z Nutz
02-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Those details alone won't help determine what sort of ram you require, because you need to look at the motherboard's specs. But in many cases, if your motherboard supports PC100 (100mhz) and you get PC133 (133mhz), it will still work, it'll just run the memory at PC100 speed.

crazyning
02-12-2004, 01:22 AM
Is there any way of finding the motherboard's specs through the Computer properties?

legendboy
02-12-2004, 09:13 AM
you can buy new pc133 but your mobo may only take low density ram, in that case your either upgrading your pc or trying to find low density pc ram used.

Weapon_R
02-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Those details alone won't help determine what sort of ram you require, because you need to look at the motherboard's specs. But in many cases, if your motherboard supports PC100 (100mhz) and you get PC133 (133mhz), it will still work, it'll just run the memory at PC100 speed.

More importantly, he needs to determine whether his motherboard can support double density or single density ram - I had that same exact problem, and had to exchange it with another member on the board because of the conflicts with my motherboard.

With that said, and looking at what you listed, it seems as though you have a pretty old board. I'd play it safe and look for some used single density ram

hampstor
02-12-2004, 10:13 PM
There are a few utilities you can d/l to figure out what board you have... one of them being good ol' 3dmark :)

From there you can figure out (using manufacturer's website) the limitation of the board wrt. memory.

501 MHz is an odd clockspeed for a P3... it is possible you may have an overclocked Celeron processor or just a P3 w/ an odd motheboard :)

What OS are you running? If you are running Win9x/ME do not attempt to exceed 512MB of ram.

If you are running 2k/XP then consider 512mb a minimum :)

sml
02-12-2004, 10:25 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35840

benyl
02-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Dude, look up the model number of your mobo in your settings or on the physical mobo. Once peeps here know that, we can tell you what ram is supported.

crazyning
02-13-2004, 01:24 AM
OK. So, I found the invoice from the purchase of my computer from November 2000. The motherboard is a "GA 6VXE+ M/B." From the information that I found at http://www.memoryx.net/gigamome52.html , It looks like I need PC 100, and maybe someone can tell me what else to look for. Like what the difference between double and single density and what the motherboard supports. Or if there is a website that explains it well, an address.

Thanks for the help.

benyl
02-13-2004, 09:45 AM
look here.

I think SD only.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-6VXE+.htm

Also, I would just take out one of the memory modules you have and take it to the store with you and get the same stuff.

hampstor
02-14-2004, 02:05 PM
from what benyl posted, it looks like you are limited to 256mb modules. Which means when buying a 256mb module, it must be a 16chip (low density) version! If you get the 8chip (high density version) you may run the risk of the system not being able to fully detect the module (usually it will pick up half of the dimm, in this case 128mb).