PDA

View Full Version : TPMS sensor light

nzwasp
11-05-2012, 03:01 PM
When we got that first hit of coldness a couple of weeks ago my TPMS sensor went off and now the light has stayed on for a couple of weeks.

In my tires is some gas (not sure what type) but the tire pressure hasnt been checked for a year or so because mr lube or whoever says they cant because of this gas.

Should I take my car into check the pressure sensor and get the pressure checked or can I just do this myself. I don't really want to pay money if its harmless and I can check it myself, however there must be a reason mr lube etc wont check it.

Kloubek
11-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Firstly, the gas is probably nitrogen. This is arguably one of the most useless things you can spend your money on when it comes to maintenance of your vehicle. Benefits are minimal at best.

Anyway, this gas will not prevent you from checking the pressure of your tires. Just go ahead and do so as you normally would... though you're best off trying to ensure as much air stays in the tire as possible; might as well maintain that slight benefit since someone paid for it at one point anyway.

Nitrogen also tends to be pretty cold - another reason you don't want it leaking all over your fingers.

Then, when you see the pressure is a little low, you can fill to proper psi with regular air. No, you don't need it filled with more nitrogen. Air is almost 80% nitrogen in the first place.

Chances are, they aren't THAT low. The pressure changes with the cold weather and it is not uncommon for TPMS systems to read low pressure in the winter.

nzwasp
11-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Does the TPMS light ever reset when the temperature outside rebounds? I dont remember getting it reset last year when it happened at -30.

Or do i have to get it manually reset.

I think the nitrogen was put in as a bonus to buying the car used from nissan royal oak a couple of years ago.

schocker
11-05-2012, 03:48 PM
It will turn off once the pressure is high enough. I remember when I had my G35 the tpms would go off at 30psi I believe as I had them filled to the shown 35psi. It will reset once it is 30 or above. Once it starts getting cold though I adjust the pressure in the cold to the required number for winter so it doesn't keep going off for low pressure as the cold temperatures will keep the pressure low all winter and you can adjust in the spring.

Cos
11-05-2012, 06:10 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
11-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Nissans will trip at about 28psi. Set it 2psi above factory when its warm.

Drive for about 4 kms and it will clear itself if there is no hard faults.

If its flashing on startup there is an error. If its solid on there is a low tire.

Why the fuck did you make a thread about this instead of checking your damn pressures. This is an enthusiast site. Check your own damn pressures. :facepalm:

speedog
11-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
When we got that first hit of coldness a couple of weeks ago my TPMS sensor went off and now the light has stayed on for a couple of weeks.

In my tires is some gas (not sure what type) but the tire pressure hasnt been checked for a year or so because mr lube or whoever says they cant because of this gas.

Should I take my car into check the pressure sensor and get the pressure checked or can I just do this myself. I don't really want to pay money if its harmless and I can check it myself, however there must be a reason mr lube etc wont check it.
Make sure you use a left side pressure gauge for the tires that are on the left side of your car.

nzwasp
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Nissans will trip at about 28psi. Set it 2psi above factory when its warm.

Drive for about 4 kms and it will clear itself if there is no hard faults.

If its flashing on startup there is an error. If its solid on there is a low tire.

Why the fuck did you make a thread about this instead of checking your damn pressures. This is an enthusiast site. Check your own damn pressures. :facepalm:

Because from everything I've been told I didnt know if I could check it with the nitrogen in the tires.

revelations
11-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Because from everything I've been told I didnt know if I could check it with the nitrogen in the tires.

Dude thats almost sig worthy.... would the tire catch fire or something?

:rofl:

FYI

Our atmosphere is already something like ~75% Nitrogen, all the tire shops are doing is adding ~ 24% to it so that you have ~99% Nitrogen... and charging you for this

(you cant have 100% nitrogen unless you first exchange all the gas in the tire after its mounted).

ga16i
11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Basically what the others already said, go ahead and check the pressure yourself. No need to worry about Nitrogen filled, the Earth's atmosphere is ~80% Nitrogen as Kloubek mentioned. That's basically marketing crap of questionable usefulness.

As for your TPMS light, it's either on due to low pressure or malfunction. If it's low pressure, the light should reset itself if you pump it up high enough. If you've pumped up the tire say to ~40psi and the light is still on, then you may have a dead TPMS sensor. If you have them in your wheel, then it's wireless and runs on a battery. Batteries are just plain shit in the cold and the unit can be prone to corrosion. They're roughly ~$100 for the part and you'll need someone (probably dealer) to reprogram the system to recognize the new sensor.