PDA

View Full Version : fluffy intro courses at MRU

jltabot
11-06-2012, 06:43 PM
has anyone taken SOCIOLOGY 1101 at MRU?

I'm an engg student just looking for something fluffy as a GPA booster.

how's the work load? all papers/essays? (not a great writer by any means), or just midterms/finals? does it depend on the instructor?

also contemplating taking econ1103 OR soci 1101.

thoughts or other suggestions greatly appreciated.

TIA

Type_S1
11-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Lol nothing should be considered non-fluffy at mrc! I think you should be good if you can remember to breathe.

swak
11-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Type_S1, Its obvious you have a hate on for mru, but have you been to both u of c and mru?

To be honest I got my BA at mru, in grad school at a "real university" and teaching a lab and grading for a course, its NO different than Mt royal.
Just FYI.

But slgy is decent - gotta keep on top of readings, but take speech arts - that's an easy elec.

CanmoreOrLess
11-06-2012, 07:44 PM
You wanna be sure on these "easy classes", I had a very trying class in university that was supposed to be a nice afternoon nap yet turned out to be my afternoon in hell.

swak
11-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
You wanna be sure on these "easy classes", I had a very trying class in university that was supposed to be a nice afternoon nap yet turned out to be my afternoon in hell.

haha... yea This!

As well, be careful on taking easy options too... You'll miss out on "real" options you could be taking which WILL ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY help you if you do decide to go back to school after your undergrad.
Im kicking myself for taking "chinese" right now - when it was between that and a 3 level PHIL class

dj_patm
11-06-2012, 11:27 PM
I got an A in SLGY 1101.
It was a breeze for me but I'm the type that can get away with skipping most classes and just cramming the night before the mid term and final. You do touch on a lot of concepts though so if you're the type that actually needs to review notes regularly and can't get away with studying in one day then it might not be the easiest class.

Intro to Human Geography with Mark Burnett (I think thats his name... went by Troy I think) was easily my favorite class in school. Legitimately interesting and a great prof.

Intro to Astronomy was pretty easy. Really interesting first half of the course but then it gets into the life cycle of stars and quickly gets dry. But yeah, overall its pretty easy.

T-Dubbs
11-06-2012, 11:38 PM
intro to computers is very easy (1103)

EG6boi
11-06-2012, 11:59 PM
I took both SOCI 1101 and ECON 1101/3 and they're both easy.

Econ with Sabiston is who I recommend.

Soci I took with Detzel. She's a weird prof but she was easy.
There was many mini-assignments, one essay, a project, a midterm and a final.

--

An easy booster in my opinion is COMP 2203. This class is a joke unless you're terrible with computers. I'm talking about novice computer users can do this course with ease.

swak
11-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Bahahaha... Yes! I heard about that intro computers course in my last semester hahahaha...
Literally learn how to use word, excel ppt, etc.
I consider it a missed opportunity

D. Dub
11-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Why not take something you're interested in and actually learn something?

jltabot
11-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm interested in boosting my GPA haha. Well I'm aready taking 3 core engg requirements.

awl625
11-09-2012, 03:26 AM
NTSC-1112 is super easy take it with Dianne Fletcher! I'm taking it right now...there's a few mini assignments but overall really easy, just need to show up here and there. She sets deadlines but she really doesn't care when you hand it in as long as its before the end of the semester. It's an intro to environmental issues (recycling, pollution, over fishing, over population...etc)..you watch movies and youtube videos all class also ends up filling a GNED requirement if you need that for your program :thumbsup:

finboy
11-09-2012, 07:11 AM
Life time leisure activities
Intro to coaching
E-business
Intro to speech
I've heard that ideas that matter and creativity in the workplace are pretty easy
Writing for the professional

magicalpoop
11-10-2012, 12:21 PM
can you read and write essays? any intro to philosophy (except logic) is cakewalk then.

dirtsniffer
11-10-2012, 01:10 PM
OP. make sure the elective you choose will count towards your degree. Also if your taking electives there I'm assuming your doing the transfer over 2 years. Make sure you take stats, phys 369 (waves and optics?) and differential equations. All are significantly harder at the u of c.

'93 SR-V
11-10-2012, 01:34 PM
That into to computers course is really easy as mentioned. I took an into to petroleum geology course as well that's an easy A, just learn parts of an oil rig and some basic ground formations / how to read well logs.

tbomb
11-10-2012, 10:20 PM
MRC courses are all fluffy

fcukda
11-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
OP. make sure the elective you choose will count towards your degree. Also if your taking electives there I'm assuming your doing the transfer over 2 years. Make sure you take stats, phys 369 (waves and optics?) and differential equations. All are significantly harder at the u of c.

Best advice in this thread.

dj_patm
11-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by tbomb
MRC courses are all fluffy

lol. Same exact curriculum for every class that offered at both UofC and MRU.

tbomb
11-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm

Read the post above you bitch boy

Type_S1
11-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm

haha typical MRC kid.

Not to hate but when my buddies who smoke drugs all day, failed highschool and can't understand basic business concepts when talking to them can get 3.5's to 4.0's at MRC...there is a problem.

There is a reason people from UofC go to MRC to take certain courses that transfer back...because they are much simpler.

swak
11-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

There is a reason people from UofC go to MRC to take certain courses that transfer back...because they are much simpler.

Or because Mt Royal has better prof's... Either way.

tbomb
11-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by swak

Or because Mt Royal has better prof's... Either way.

Lol, profs without Phds or broad research backgrounds. MRC rules bro

swak
11-13-2012, 07:20 PM

Lol, profs without Phds or broad research backgrounds. MRC rules bro

Sure there are some prof's with just there MA of MSc, but i had many Dr. ______ profs.
You got to be fucking ignorant to think otherwise.

UofC's no different. (i know for a FACT theres MA and MSc profs there too)

tbomb
11-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Sure there are some prof's with just there MA of MSc, but i had many Dr. ______ profs.
You got to be fucking ignorant to think otherwise.

UofC's no different. (i know for a FACT theres MA and MSc profs there too)

It's funny how I can go on the MRC website and look and see that the majority of busi/ eng/ geo profs only have masters and insufficient research history. Getting a "degree" at MRU is a considerable waste of time right now. Do the transfer courses and get your ass in a real school.

swak
11-13-2012, 07:34 PM

It's funny how I can go on the MRC website and look and see that the majority of busi/ eng/ geo profs only have masters and insufficient research history. Getting a "degree" at MRU is a considerable waste of time right now. Do the transfer courses and get your ass in a real school.

Funny how a degree (which 'wasted' 4 years of my life) got me into a respectable Graduate School though hey?

Cos
11-13-2012, 07:46 PM

tbomb
11-13-2012, 07:54 PM

Funny how a degree (which 'wasted' 4 years of my life) got me into a respectable Graduate School though hey?

Oh cool, sociology?

swak
11-13-2012, 08:19 PM

Oh cool, sociology?

No, actually... However, i really do have a keen respect for sociological research studies.

Now please tell me how you devalue sociology.

dirtsniffer
11-13-2012, 10:52 PM
not this shit again :whocares:

I took the eng transfer at mount royal. It did not leave me unprepared for the u of c. The reason I suggested taking as many courses as possible there was:
1. More time with the lecturer.
2. Lab components are less intensive (no 10 page hand written write ups where the flatness of underlining counts for grades X 7 labs for phys369)
3. profs can actually speak English
4. profs can be reached and are willing to help
5. no TA's
6. smaller classes (especially for first year classes)

Please redirect all nut swinging to one of the other 1000 threads on u of c vs mru. :closed:

jltabot
11-14-2012, 10:53 PM
thank you for more of the useful info. comp 2203 it is!

dj_patm
11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Getting a "degree" at MRU is a considerable waste of time right now. Do the transfer courses and get your ass in a real school.

Yet here I am, sitting in my own office, working in my field and making considerably more than the average new haskayne grad without even completing my degree yet.

I'm not going to lie, I definitely wouldn't take some of the degrees that are offered at MRU over UofC but certain ones I would and my curriculum statement earlier was straight from the mouth of two of my profs that teach at both schools.

Frankly, when it comes to business, once you get a designation and/or a few years of experience under your belt your school goes out the window.

P.S. If you think MRU is a joke because your dumbass friend can't understand basic business concepts yet gets good grades then what do you think they're teaching here? Surely Mount Royal didn't get University designation without even teaching the fundamentals...

OneGreasyHobo
11-15-2012, 07:08 PM
I've been told now that to be a full time teacher at MRU you must have a PHD.

^^ Bang on. MRU has some great degrees.

I could totally see how business at U of C might be better; your paying for the name. MRU is simply to new to really have the connections that U of C does, but in the future who knows.

I'm a third year BCIS student at MRU - I enjoy it... I have 3 mandatory work terms doing IT work for oil and gas companies - puts your foot in the door at least.

If your looking for a fluffy course - try to take Introduction to public speaking! Super easy, and actually helpful.

8baller8
11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
are we seriously debating MRU vs. U of C....Everyone knows MRU is a joke but the MRU students.

I went to MRU and transferred to U of C, and the difference is night and day. MRU has nothing on Haskayne, except for the fact that its way easier.

If you want to know the truth, talk to Gerry Labute (stats prof) who teaches at both. He will tell you that U of C is on another level. I remember he told me those exact words when I took stats at mount royal. Then I went to U of C and was shell shocked.

MRU courses were so easy I barely had to try. I used to think studying 10 hours for a final was a lot of studying, and I would usually get a high B or a-. I could of churned out a degree easily at MRU.

Just thinking about my former peers at MRU actually makes me laugh. What a bunch of simpletons.

I will put it this simply:

Some U of C students go onto extremely lucrative careers in investment banking, quantitative finance, and high end analyst jobs.

A mount royal student doesn't even know what investment banking is.

'uh.....its where you invest in banking, bro'

tbomb
11-16-2012, 01:12 PM

No, actually... However, i really do have a keen respect for sociological research studies.

Now please tell me how you devalue sociology.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29049734.jpg

dj_patm
11-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by 8baller8
are we seriously debating MRU vs. U of C....Everyone knows MRU is a joke but the MRU students.

I went to MRU and transferred to U of C, and the difference is night and day. MRU has nothing on Haskayne, except for the fact that its way easier.

If you want to know the truth, talk to Gerry Labute (stats prof) who teaches at both. He will tell you that U of C is on another level. I remember he told me those exact words when I took stats at mount royal. Then I went to U of C and was shell shocked.

MRU courses were so easy I barely had to try. I used to think studying 10 hours for a final was a lot of studying, and I would usually get a high B or a-. I could of churned out a degree easily at MRU.

Just thinking about my former peers at MRU actually makes me laugh. What a bunch of simpletons.

Some U of C students go onto extremely lucrative careers in investment banking, quantitative finance, and high end analyst jobs.

Weird because I've seen my friends Stats 1 and Stats 2 notes and they seemed to be pretty much the same as mine from MRU.

No shit that MRU students don't go on to careers in Finance. MRU doesn't even offer a Finance degree... :facepalm:

No one is arguing that MRU is a better school than U of C, we're defending it from retards like you who seem to think that all of their degrees are useless.

For things like Supply Chain or Accounting their degrees are perfectly acceptable as once you get a PMAC or CA designation you're golden regardless of where you went to school.

Their General Management degree outside of the SCM minor maybe sketchy and a marketing degree is always tough to get a job with anyways. Not sure about HR.

I think you need a reality check if you think an undergrad from U of C is going to fast track you to the top of JP Morgan.

Seriously, some of you guys need to get the fuck of your high horse.

magicalpoop
11-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by 8baller8

My friend in Management consulting at Accenture works with mainly MRU grads. UofC does have an edge if you happen to be on the ICBC team, but if you're not, there's not much between a UofC and MRU grad.

No offense but wait till you go to the east with your UofC degree - they'll shit on it like nothing.