PDA

View Full Version : Moving remote start to another vehicle

C_Dave45
11-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Is it hard?

My first hurdle is how do I take the damn receiver off the window?!! Stuck on there with super duper glue?!
Is it something I could do myself? Or is there someone who's interested in doing it for me?

Going from an older Ford Van onto my new one. Just the cheapo, plane jane remote from Visions.

sr20s14zenki
11-07-2012, 08:20 PM
You may need a transponder bypass for the new van if it uses transponder key . It's a real pain especially if you have keyless entry hooked up.It involves splicing into your ignition harness at the very least

JordanAndrew
11-07-2012, 08:22 PM
If you don't know anyone who can do the un-install for you, you're better off getting a new setup/unit and getting a deal in the install. You're best bet would probably be during christmas/boxing week when deals are out.

I had a similar situation in the past and decided that the labor cost of the un-install and install was so close to buying a new unit to begin with that it was a no brainer to just buy another one and be done with it.

Mind you mine was an alarm/car starter combo so yours might be different.

C_Dave45
11-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
You may need a transponder bypass for the new van if it uses transponder key . It's a real pain especially if you have keyless entry hooked up.It involves splicing into your ignition harness at the very least

No, both vehicles are plane jane, no transponder in new vehicle.

Originally posted by JordanAndrew
If you don't know anyone who can do the un-install for you, you're better off getting a new setup/unit and getting a deal in the install. You're best bet would probably be during christmas/boxing week when deals are out.

I had a similar situation in the past and decided that the labor cost of the un-install and install was so close to buying a new unit to begin with that it was a no brainer to just buy another one and be done with it.

Mind you mine was an alarm/car starter combo so yours might be different.

I was wondering that. If I had to take it into Visions, etc, and have them re&re the unit, then it won't be worth it..I was more or less asking if there's anyone who knows how and who wants to make a quick buck, cash. Can't be a long job. I originally paid $249 installed, and the thing still works perfect. Hate to throw it away when I dump the old van.

C_Dave45
11-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

*edit*....You are right. The new van DOES have the transponder key.
Hmm...guess I'm gonna just buy a whole new unit.

sr20s14zenki
11-11-2012, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

*edit*....You are right. The new van DOES have the transponder key.
Hmm...guess I'm gonna just buy a whole new unit.

It may be better.

The box that DEI makes for the transponder bypass is only like 20$ at future shop, but at the price of remote starters installed these days, its probably in your best interest.

Most vehicles after 98 use transponders im pretty sure. Hope you have a spare key or two programmed. You will either need to have a spare key you can cut the key itself off of and leave the handle (where the transponder is) or buy a unit to completely bypass the system during startup which usually costs way more.

Good luck man :thumbsup: