PDA

View Full Version : Basement Developments - Huge difference in pricing

Pages : [1] 2

ExtraSlow
11-07-2012, 10:54 PM
I did a search on this and didn't find anything. If a thread already answers this, please let me know.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting my basement developed. Not looking for discussions of why I should do it myself, or for contractor reccomendations.

What I want to know is, how can two reputable, legal, insured general contractors quote so differently for the same specs? I'm talking a difference of 2x higher.

Finishes and fixutres are identical in both quotes, and are to match the existing on the main level, so I don't feel they are quoting very different materials. Both companies did a site visit and took measurement to verify. Both had a couple of extras as "add-on" on top of the original quotes.

Obviously some contractors will higher higher end trades, and have higher profit margins, but I'd guess that would add up to a few bucks a square foot, not a diffference of say, $50 per quare foot.

Thoughts from those who are in the building trades? Thoughts from those who have had a few quoate for a basement?

Alterac
11-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Chances are either one of them doesnt want to do the job, so they jacked the price.

Or the lower priced one has no work for their crew.

AndyL
11-07-2012, 11:21 PM
3 more quotes needed... time to see where the middle ground really is.

ExtraSlow
11-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I should add, I have three quotes. Two were high, and very similar.
One of the quotes was from a "cost plus" builder, which gives an interesting perspective on the profit margins and price for each peice of the job.

Sugarphreak
11-07-2012, 11:57 PM

89coupe
11-08-2012, 12:06 AM
My builder charged me $37/ sqft if you want some numbers. That's for a fully developed basement, full bathroom, bedroom, HT room and office, 9' ceilings.

G
11-08-2012, 10:47 AM
I am in the middle of getting mine developed right now and am totally enjoying the process. I did get 3 quotes (x, y and z). The prices ranged from 48k to 74k. What I noticed is that you get what you pay for.

Did not like x because they pushed monthly payments and their finance options more than what they can do for me. Their 50 page quote was like WTF to me. X was too big and tries too hard to streamline and cookie cutter the whole process.

I really liked y but they where just way too high for what they offered and timeline took too long.

I chose z because he understood what we wanted right away and my son really took a liking to Mr Trent. Also, he did my friend's basement and I really like the work. z just happens to be the lowest priced...but that is about to change....hahaha.

I really like z because he gave me many great ideas of what people did in their basements. Never really pushed any upgrades from our initial plan just optioned things in the quote. I liked the flexibility Trent gave his crew for example the quote included 16 pot lights but we ended up with 28 but we worked out the price with the electrician and will be paying him separately for the extras.

Initial quote was 48k for about 1000 sqft of developed space which includes bedroom with walkin closet, closet in foyer, storage room, washroom, playroom, home gym with gym flooring, media room.

We added a fire place with stone work floor to ceiling, 6 ft dry bar with uppers cabinets and granite counter top. This brought the price up to ~54k (wife picked some backsplash that was $40/sqft and some exotic slab of granite :facepalm: )

Then the media guy came to wire for 7.1. I ended up spending 14k for a full media set up with 80" tv and a 42" in the gym. :banghead:

Knowing and seeing work done really helped us pick Mr Trent. So far, he has been awesome with his work. He works with the same group of trades for all his jobs so the quality isn't a crap shoot. He is part of the framing crew so he gets his hands dirty too. Also, while framing he said it would be really nice to cut the stairwell wall so that it opens up to the basement. I said great idea and he just did it for free...stuff like that really added a lot of value to me. Time line is pretty spot on. Framing done, plumber in, plumber done, HVAC in and the electrician spent 4 days to finish his part. Inspectors are coming today and drywall next week. We are sound proofing all walls and ceiling. Also liked the fact that payments are divided into 4 stages. There where many nights that wife and I asked do we really need to spend x amount for this for the basement? But we decided that since we are staying for a few more years why not enjoy it and not having a mortgage helps..:thumbsup: So final price should come in under $70k.

Seeing the work is the best way to choose. PM me if you want more info or want to come take a look at the progress I am in the good part of the SW.

more...also included an interior designer to help pick tile, stone, granite, flooring...etc.

When we went to the vendors to pick the fireplace, trim, doors, etc...they where all like oh right Trent said you were coming...and spoke highly of him. This proves that he pays his vendors on time which says a lot as well.

prosh
11-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Who are the company's you've gotten quotes from?

We got a quote from Planit Builders and for a complete gut, they came in not at the high but definitely not at the low either.

G
11-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by prosh
Who are the company's you've gotten quotes from?

We got a quote from Planit Builders and for a complete gut, they came in not at the high but definitely not at the low either.

Planit = X
Wallace and Fleming = Y
Affordable Basement Renos = Z

Mod can edit it out if this isn't okay.

11-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Wow crazy money to have someone do this.

I have a smaller basement about 650sqft, but I did it myself for about 5k all in.

G
11-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by 410440
Wow crazy money to have someone do this.

I have a smaller basement about 650sqft, but I did it myself for about 5k all in.

You can definately tell the difference between a DIY vs a professionally developed basement. I know its cheaper to do it myself but not everyone can swing a hammer. :dunno:

prosh
11-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by G

Planit = X
Wallace and Fleming = Y
Affordable Basement Renos = Z

Mod can edit it out if this isn't okay.

Our quotes have come in as such,

Planit came in ~$52k (complete gut, average finishings)
Contractor Y $70k (complete gut, higher end finishings + allowances)
Precision $35k (redevelopment, higher end finishings)

Since our basement was partially developped (1 giant room drywalled up with carpet. We're looking at just adding walls instead of gutting everything given the huge difference in cost.

We're adding a couple walls and moving another couple walls to create a good sized bedroom, walk in closet and a 6'x11' bathroom with heated tile, corner gas fireplace and living space.

danno
11-08-2012, 01:17 PM
I did mine my self and hired a carpet installer and taper who worked for beers because he was my moms boyfriend. Being a electrician makes it way cheaper. I think mine was 8k or so. How much are you guys spending on electrical. The most I ever charged for a basement was 2500$ that was about 700sq ft.

Perfect Dark
11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by danno
I did mine my self and hired a carpet installer and taper who worked for beers because he was my moms boyfriend. Being a electrician makes it way cheaper. I think mine was 8k or so. How much are you guys spending on electrical. The most I ever charged for a basement was 2500$ that was about 700sq ft.

Being some kind of useful trade really helps out for sure, I'm an electrician as well and I probably saved myself 3-4k by doing the work myself and getting better pricing on my materials.

The contractor doing the rest of the work is a good friend of mine so that keeps the costs down too ;)

InRich
11-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I'll develope your basements. i'll give u access to the best contractors in calgary, everything will be done right, with permits and everything for cost +37%

u can come take a look at my basement to see the quality ;)

prosh
11-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by InRich
I'll develope your basements. i'll give u access to the best contractors in calgary, everything will be done right, with permits and everything for cost +37%

u can come take a look at my basement to see the quality ;)

Wow, cost + 37%, even the high quote I got was cost + 18% and thats thru Willowbrooks sub contractors and pricing. I'd have a hard time spending $100k on a basement reno for 1 bedroom, bathroom, walkin closet and to fix up the living area. Just my opinion.

InRich
11-08-2012, 03:03 PM
u wont spend more then 50k
I did my entire basement, 900 sq feet, the highest quality material and labour available. PLUS all the tv, surround sound, seats, bed, frames and everything down there for 51k.

wtf im nameless
11-08-2012, 03:10 PM
who do you use for home theatre and automation inrich?

G
11-08-2012, 03:22 PM
I did my entire basement, 900 sq feet, the highest quality material and labour available. PLUS all the tv, surround sound, seats, bed, frames and everything down there for 51k.

You probably neglecting the fact that you did not hire yourself to do your basement. Take $51k add your 37% to that....that is what I paid.

I got pretty decent HT stuff too.

Sharp 80" LC80LE844U 3D
Sharp 42" LCD for gym
Denon AVR 2313 receiver
Samsung BluRay BDE5900
Shaw DXC3400
Current Audio WS651 left, right and 2 x center in wall speakers
Current Audio CS501 in ceiling rears x 4
Sunfire HRS 12 sub
URCMX900 remote

89coupe
11-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Why haven't you posted here then?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/348819/post-your-home-theatre-setup/

89coupe
11-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by G

You probably neglecting the fact that you did not hire yourself to do your basement. Take $51k add your 37% to that....that is what I paid.

I got pretty decent HT stuff too.

Sharp 80" LC80LE844U 3D
Sharp 42" LCD for gym
Denon AVR 2313 receiver
Samsung BluRay BDE5900
Shaw DXC3400
Current Audio WS651 left, right and 2 x center in wall speakers
Current Audio CS501 in ceiling rears x 4
Sunfire HRS 12 sub
URCMX900 remote

Post it here

JRSC00LUDE
11-08-2012, 03:33 PM
i'll give u access to the best contractors in calgary, everything will be done right, with permits and everything for cost +37%

:eek: Holy shit. If we charged anywhere NEAR that kind of markup we'd be out of business lol

There can't be that much differnence between commercial construction management and residential?

50-60/s.f. is pretty decent cost range for a nicely finished basement I would say but I can't believe you have theater equipment in there. My buddy's new home theater room was 60k at cost (He's a B&W dealer) for speakers and projector alone!

danno
11-08-2012, 03:35 PM
When I do side jobs I don't mark the price up.

03ozwhip
11-08-2012, 03:37 PM
^^^I agree man. InRich, that is a huge amount of markup, why so much? also, G, holy fack dude alomst 90k on a basement? thats retarded. i have a basic rec room, full bath, spare room, storage area and its was less than 35k from the builder with very decent finishings.

mind you, that wasnt furniture or electronics on that price which also wasnt TOO expensive, 5k at most.

wtf im nameless
11-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
My buddy's new home theater room was 60k at cost (He's a B&W dealer) for speakers and projector alone!

If he spent 60k on B&W speakers and a projector at cost, it's going to be at least a 100k theatre, which would probably be 160k-200k+ at retail depending on if you want to include labour or not. That would probably put him in the top 25 nicest home theatres in the city, top 100 for sure.

G
11-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^^I agree man. InRich, that is a huge amount of markup, why so much? also, G, holy fack dude alomst 90k on a basement? thats retarded. i have a basic rec room, full bath, spare room, storage area and its was less than 35k from the builder with very decent finishings.

mind you, that wasnt furniture or electronics on that price which also wasnt TOO expensive, 5k at most.

Nowhere near $90 so don't know where you got that number from. Pushing $68 including HT equipment. I was just saying to Rich's $51k x 1.37% was about what I paid for mine so his is not as cheap as he claims it is.

G
11-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Post it here

Will do with pictures when completed.

89coupe
11-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by G

Will do with pictures when completed.

It's even more fun posting the build/progress.

JRSC00LUDE
11-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by wtf im nameless

If he spent 60k on B&W speakers and a projector at cost, it's going to be at least a 100k theatre, which would probably be 160k-200k+ at retail depending on if you want to include labour or not. That would probably put him in the top 25 nicest home theatres in the city, top 100 for sure.

Oh I know, I realize it's an over the top comparison. I didn't intend that post as an "e-dick" kind of thing, it likely came across that way though. Shit, a setup like that is WAY out of my personal league!

BTW i'm in SK, not Calgary. But yeah, the guy owns a good sized company, an off-shoot of which is custom home theater solutions so his personal one is obviously next-level kind of shit. :drool:

InRich
11-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Keep in mind guys. that 51k included all my furnishings, and my theater setup, and stools, and wine bar fridges, and etc... I also have a steam shower, the steam unit itself was 4k. i got one that self cleans itself, my leather theater seats were 4k... so my basement really didnt cost me all that much..

37% mark up is huge??? what are you guys nuts!?!?! thats nothing. Most retail locations charge 100 - 200 - 300% markups... U think when you go into a store thats offering 50% off, and buy something, that their not making money on you??? anything, everything you guys buy anywhere come with HUGE markups. 37% is what I charge my friends.

C_Dave45 posted pictures of my entire basement, but I cant find the link..:bigpimp:

89coupe
11-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Keep in mind guys. that 51k included all my furnishings, and my theater setup, and stools, and wine bar fridges, and etc... I also have a steam shower, the steam unit itself was 4k. i got one that self cleans itself, my leather theater seats were 4k... so my basement really didnt cost me all that much..

37% mark up is huge??? what are you guys nuts!?!?! thats nothing. Most retail locations charge 100 - 200 - 300% markups... U think when you go into a store thats offering 50% off, and buy something, that their not making money on you??? anything, everything you guys buy anywhere come with HUGE markups. 37% is what I charge my friends.

C_Dave45 posted pictures of my entire basement, but I cant find the link..:bigpimp:

Post your HT in the HT thread

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/post-your-home-theatre-setup/showthread.php?s=&threadid=348819&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

G
11-08-2012, 04:55 PM

OP if you want a great quality contractor, that can handle your entire basement, and will charge you a fair price... call my friend, he owns REBORN Renovations, and he helped me with some pieces of my own basement. Just tell him Richard from beyond sent you before he quotes you, and they'll be really fair. and the quality will be top notch

466 RENO ask for Ty

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/InRich/IMG_5950.jpg

Oh now I see why it was only $51k. Aside from the washroom everything is pretty minimum. Not minimum in a bad way, what I mean is that it is not extraordinary to warrant more than $51k. You initially said $55k in your man cave post but whose keeping track. Considering you are in that line of business I am surprised it cost as much as $55k. Your numbers are all over the place and you implying that you can do this basement for less than x amount would be a reason I wouldn't not use you..and installing a fake fireplace mounted on the wall would be another reason (do it right or don't bother)...and hiding HT wiring under the carpet shows planning came second place.

danno
11-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I'd agree its a minimal basement, looks nice though. But so does mine and mine was 8k with no furnishings and no bathroom. Bathrooms add a lot to the cost though. I'd never spend over 20k for a basement development on a regular size house.

Sugarphreak
11-08-2012, 06:15 PM

InRich
11-08-2012, 06:32 PM
^ u guys are out to lunch with your 8k. 20k. 25k figures... lol I'm not even gonna bother to reply.

wtf im nameless
11-08-2012, 06:35 PM
^ u guys are out to lunch with your 8k. 20k. 25k figures... lol I'm not even gonna bother to reply.

Who do you use for your home theatre and automation?

InRich
11-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Who do you use for your home theatre and automation?

myself. actually my electrician ran all the wires where I told him to run it while he was doing all the potlights.

89coupe
11-08-2012, 08:04 PM
If you guys are looking for a good home automation company check out my buddies company. www.pinnaclehometech.com

Best prices and service in Calgary!

wtf im nameless
11-08-2012, 08:25 PM
If you guys are looking for a good home automation company check out my buddies company. www.pinnaclehometech.com

Has he sold any Clare Control systems to clients yet? I noticed you went with HAI instead of Clare.

89coupe
11-08-2012, 08:29 PM

Has he sold any Clare Control systems to clients yet? I noticed you went with HAI instead of Clare.

Yes he has.

Yep, I don't need anything fancy. I can control everything through my HAI app on my iPhone, good enough for me.

He sold me the HAI system if that's what you were curious about.

wtf im nameless
11-08-2012, 09:02 PM

Yes he has.

Yep, I don't need anything fancy. I can control everything through my HAI app on my iPhone, good enough for me.

He sold me the HAI system if that's what you were curious about.

I know he did, your photos are on his website. I'm also a Clare Controls dealer, I'm sure your friend and I have a lot of mutual connections. I was actually supposed to meet him when the president of Clare came in and took the dealers out for lunch a few months ago, but something came up and I wasn't able to attend.

89coupe
11-08-2012, 09:15 PM

I know he did, your photos are on his website. I'm also a Clare Controls dealer, I'm sure your friend and I have a lot of mutual connections. I was actually supposed to meet him when the president of Clare came in and took the dealers out for lunch a few months ago, but something came up and I wasn't able to attend.

You have your own company as well?

What's the name?

danno
11-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Can't justify what you charge people??? How much profit do you make over a job and how long does it take you. Of course you don't have to answer but I'm curious why it costs so much do you have a break down of a recent job.

wtf im nameless
11-08-2012, 09:56 PM
I really don't see what the big deal is with his pricing... I have clients that have spent anywhere between 25-100k on structured wiring, home theatre and automation just for a basement reno. People don't mind spending money on their homes if they have it and plan on staying there for a while.

You think it's bad for basement renos? Try comparing quotes for structured wiring and automation. I've done 50k quotes and ended up going up against a 20k quote where the other automation guy tries to tell them they're basically getting the same thing... lol... when my cost on the equipment is over 20k alone, never mind labour.

Just because some of you guys wouldn't spend 20 or 30k on a developing a basement doesn't mean a 75k quote can't be justified and shown to be a fair price for what you're getting.

Sugarphreak
11-08-2012, 10:06 PM

ExtraSlow
11-08-2012, 10:25 PM
This has gotten pretty far off track.

danno
11-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Maybe it's the fact I know the people that do work in the field and I know it can be done at a reasonable amount. I have no automation in my house and most houses do not have any. I've wired about one hundred houses and I've only seen it maybe 5 times. I'd just like to know what he charges for each trade to come in. I've got nothing against Inrich, he gets clients that's great for him. I do know that the bill can go up quickly on any form of construction I'm just stating what mine cost and what I think the average house should max out at.

JLau
11-08-2012, 10:35 PM

Do you know if they do speaker repair? my ProAc speaker is acting weird... i might actually need someone to set up my hometheater room properly

89coupe
11-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by JLau

Do you know if they do speaker repair? my ProAc speaker is acting weird... i might actually need someone to set up my hometheater room properly

No for repairs

Yes for setup

They have a audyssey pro license.

03ozwhip
11-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by G

Nowhere near $90 so don't know where you got that number from. Pushing $68 including HT equipment. I was just saying to Rich's $51k x 1.37% was about what I paid for mine so his is not as cheap as he claims it is.

LOL thats my bad, i dont know where my math was when i was thinking that haha still though, thats alot of money for a basement. when i developed my own basent a couple years ago, its was about 5k including materials, this time i was ok with spending the 35k so i didnt have to do it, 68k, not a chance.

G
11-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip

LOL thats my bad, i dont know where my math was when i was thinking that haha still though, thats alot of money for a basement. when i developed my own basent a couple years ago, its was about 5k including materials, this time i was ok with spending the 35k so i didnt have to do it, 68k, not a chance.

Some people say I'm nuts for spending $87k on a C class but whatever rocks your boat go for it if you can afford it. But I have my limits as well. I got quotes for Rages ADV wheels when i got my C63 but cannot stomach spending 10k on rims and tires. He is true baller...two sets in too.

But if you take out my gyn floor 2k, dry granite bar 2.5k, HT 14k, floating vanity 1k, sound proofing 1k, extra pots 1k, linear fire place 5k, stone work 1k i will be about 40k as well developed for about 1000 sqft.

benyl
11-09-2012, 10:35 AM
$1500 forgestars that I know will be curbed by the wife...

G
11-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by benyl
$1500 forgestars that I know will be curbed by the wife...

Cheapo like me. Although i was the one that curbed my wheels :banghead:

CapnCrunch
11-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Threads like this are why searching anything on this website is so useless.

G
11-09-2012, 11:00 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ctjyC.jpg

Massive amount of drywall thank god i'm not doing it.

G
11-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Threads like this are why searching anything on this website is so useless.

Looking for Forgestars or home theater or inrich or drywall or contra......nevermind. :D

JRSC00LUDE
11-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
What I want to know is, how can two reputable, legal, insured general contractors quote so differently for the same specs? I'm talking a difference of 2x higher.

Thoughts from those who are in the building trades? Thoughts from those who have had a few quoate for a basement?

Even though it sounds obvious. I would say that it's simply a matter of one gets better pricing on things than the other and one may have more markup to some extent.

I know in my industry (commercial work, we do full builds for places like Sephora, Guess, Winners, etc. etc. as well as design builds of offices and medical/dental centres) there are many other companies who are always 40-50% higher than us. It doesn't mean that they are actually making any more on the job, it just means that we are getting wholesale supply costs, etc. for a lot cheaper than they ever could. Also, with the limited amount of work that we do sub out to others, I know full well that not another company in this city gets pricing as low as we do on most of it.

Those are the types of things that can cause one company's pricing to be so far away from anothers. Other times, one is just ripping you off hahaha

89coupe
11-09-2012, 11:22 AM
I find its because one company is small and struggling and the other is big and thriving.

Usually the thriving companies charge more simply because they can.

A finished basement with a HT room, bathroom and a bedroom with nice finishings shouldn't cost more then $40/sqft

Furniture
HT equipment
Accessories
Etc

Is extra and shouldn't even be mentioned.

JRSC00LUDE
11-09-2012, 11:27 AM
A finished basement with a HT room, bathroom and a bedroom with nice finishings shouldn't cost more then $40/sqft

This sounds about right as a proper baseline.

If you're paying in the $50-$60/ft range then you should be getting a much higher level of finish materials (ie. floor, wall, ceiling) but you would be in full control of that.

max_boost
11-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Damn some of you guys have pimping basements. :eek:

89coupe
11-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Damn some of you guys have pimping basements. :eek:

Did I miss the photos? I've only seen normal finished basements so far.

ExtraSlow
11-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Been doing a little further research. One reason some of my quotes have been coming in high is that some include things that would be considered "upgrades"

The carpet in the rest of the house is decently high end, and we've asked to have the basement match. Not hand sticthed wool or anything, but with good underlay, it's around $10/square foot. "Base" carpet is what, $4?
Also smooth finish drywall ceilings, no knock-down or popcorn.
Granite in the bathroom to match upstairs, upgraded mouldings, door and fixtures to match upstairs.

All those upgrades can be in the $15/square foot range.

InRich
11-15-2012, 03:50 PM
what is your pricing coming in at, and what companies if you dont mind me asking.

ExtraSlow
11-15-2012, 04:40 PM
I honestly don't feel that the dollars are that easy to compare for different projects. Plus, every contractor quotes a slightly different level of finishing and upgrades.

Dollars per square foot is also a little misleading.

I've had Stonebridge, Ultimate and Cobalt all quote this project, and I believe they would all do a good job, and each has been straightforward in communication and pleasant to deal with.

rage2
11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by G
Some people say I'm nuts for spending $87k on a C class but whatever rocks your boat go for it if you can afford it. But I have my limits as well. I got quotes for Rages ADV wheels when i got my C63 but cannot stomach spending 10k on rims and tires. He is true baller...two sets in too.
Please, my basement's unfinished! :rofl:

I'm looking to finally reno the basement this winter, so this thread has been really helpful. I'm not looking for anything extreme other than the bathroom, been spoiled by kickass setups on the road. Just want something simple, because I'll prob be moving houses after a few more years to get more garage space for the toys.

G
11-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Please, my basement's unfinished! :rofl:

I'm looking to finally reno the basement this winter, so this thread has been really helpful. I'm not looking for anything extreme other than the bathroom, been spoiled by kickass setups on the road. Just want something simple, because I'll prob be moving houses after a few more years to get more garage space for the toys.

This is our plan too...wait till the boys grow up a little more first. Doesn't hurt as much when they ding up the walls, baseboards and floors now versus a new bigger house.

Upgrading to ~3000 sqft house for a million+ or developing my basement for 60k for the same square footage? Basement seems like a better bang for the buck now.

03ozwhip
11-15-2012, 06:13 PM
i have a 3000 sqft home right now with only one kid and i wont be having anymore. i actually want to downgrade. its too much space for us and its alot to keep clean when all your kid does is make a mess lol

i dont get why everyone wants a house this big after ive had one, its too much space. sorry, off topic a bit. ill throw some pics up of my basement later on tonight, its finished, but a work in progress as to what we want to do to it.

prosh
11-19-2012, 11:48 AM
We just started our reno this weekend and so far so good, 48 hours and all our framing is done.

G
11-22-2012, 05:25 PM
humming along...
http://i.imgur.com/8kCa2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/j5pys.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uwbiz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FdDwA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HwbkK.jpg

89coupe
11-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Is that your TV outlets way up on your wall? Why so high? Do you like looking up at your TV?

G
11-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Is that your TV outlets way up on your wall? Why so high? Do you like looking up at your TV?

The plugs are there but the tv won't be hung that high. We sized it up...the 80" will hang nicely. The pictures are deceiving...for reference the 4 speakers are about 30" from the ground and the tv will be just a few inches above that and cover up most of the wall. The fireplace is eye level when sitting on the sofa.

The tv in the gym will be higher up..
http://i.imgur.com/NAyjJ.jpg

JRSC00LUDE
11-22-2012, 05:39 PM
^ :thumbsup:

JordanLotoski
11-22-2012, 06:34 PM
^^Jealous of all of you...My New house hasnt started yet. Cant wait till I can stand in my freamed house and basement. Keep the photos coming.

Looks Great G

Ntense_SpecV
11-23-2012, 10:10 AM
G - the basement looks like it is coming along great. How many sq. ft is it? I'm curious as you mentioned you also have an area for a home gym also. I won't be able to have an area for one in my basement as it is only 700 sq. ft usable area. The builder took way too much for the mech. room area.

Oh and another couple general questions for people that have built in speakers. What kind of in-wall speakers are you guys putting in? Also, why 2 center channel speakers - G ? I have no clue which speakers are decent for cost, considering speakers from monoprice are less than half the cost from local stores.

88CRX
11-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Hope to start my basement development soon.... going to DIY the majority of it. I'll post up our plans once they're ready.

Going to hire someone to come tap/mud/sand/paint cause that shit sucks. Should be able to handle the majority of the rest.

cet
11-23-2012, 10:41 AM
^^ I have monoprice inwall and in ceiling speakers for the main TV in the family room. Unfortunately I havent hooked them up yet so can't give you a review of them. In the theater I'm looking at some inwall's from Triad.

G
11-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV
G - the basement looks like it is coming along great. How many sq. ft is it? I'm curious as you mentioned you also have an area for a home gym also. I won't be able to have an area for one in my basement as it is only 700 sq. ft usable area. The builder took way too much for the mech. room area.

Oh and another couple general questions for people that have built in speakers. What kind of in-wall speakers are you guys putting in? Also, why 2 center channel speakers - G ? I have no clue which speakers are decent for cost, considering speakers from monoprice are less than half the cost from local stores.

Putting 2 center speakers was more of an aesthetic thing since I cannot center one speaker in the middle because of a stud. There is great debate about using 2 centers versus 1 in a lot of AV forums. If it doesnt sound great I may only wire up one but at least it will still look symetrical. I am using all Monitor Audio speakers...CP Gold in wall and the Radius for the ceiling.

This is my floor plan so it's about 1000 sqft

http://i.imgur.com/punf9.jpg

89coupe
11-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski
^^Jealous of all of you...My New house hasnt started yet. Cant wait till I can stand in my freamed house and basement. Keep the photos coming.

Looks Great G

Hopefully you do a build thread, that's a house I would love to see through the construction stages :thumbsup:

cet
11-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by G

Putting 2 center speakers was more of an aesthetic thing since I cannot center one speaker in the middle because of a stud. There is great debate about using 2 centers versus 1 in a lot of AV forums. If it doesnt sound great I may only wire up one but at least it will still look symetrical. I am using all Monitor Audio speakers...CP Gold in wall and the Radius for the ceiling.

You could try hooking both up but disconnecting the tweeter in one of them as that is what seems to be causing most of the issues when people run two center channels.

wtf im nameless
11-23-2012, 11:52 AM

You get what you pay for with those speakers, they sound great for the price but even a lower end speaker from one of the more reputable manufacturers sounds better IMO.

My company is an authorized Monitor Audio dealer so that's what's going into my house :thumbsup:. Their speakers sound amazing, they've been very good to me, they're great people to deal with, and they have a fantastic range of products to suite almost any budget or application.

G
11-23-2012, 12:00 PM

You get what you pay for with those speakers, they sound great for the price but even a lower end speaker from one of the more reputable manufacturers sounds better IMO.

My company is an authorized Monitor Audio dealer so that's what's going into my house :thumbsup:. Their speakers sound amazing, they've been very good to me, they're great people to deal with, and they have a fantastic range of products to suite almost any budget or application.

You don't know how good this makes me feel. When the media guy quoted me MA I never heard of them and was wondering why they are so pricey until I googled them and now with your expertise I feel a lot better in spending that much on 10 speakers!

wtf im nameless
11-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by G

You don't know how good this makes me feel. When the media guy quoted me MA I never heard of them and was wondering why they are so pricey until I googled them and now with your expertise I feel a lot better in spending that much on 10 speakers!

:thumbsup: I'm sure you'll love them. They're in the same league as B&W, Paradigm, Totem, etc...

89coupe
11-23-2012, 02:20 PM
You guys should really check out my buddies company www.pinnaclehometech.com

They have the best prices in the City for most of the big names.

I don't know anyone in town that has a better price to be honest.

Unknown303
11-23-2012, 02:23 PM
You guys should really check out my buddies company www.pinnaclehometech.com

They have the best prices in the City for most of the big names.

I don't know anyone in town that has a better price to be honest.

His site doesn't work on my tablet.

89coupe
11-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

http://www.facebook.com/pinnaclehometech?ref=stream

G
11-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Yeah same here that is why I found someone else. He was my first choice though.

89coupe
11-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by G

Yeah same here that is why I found someone else. He was my first choice though.

Even on a tablet it provides all the necessary information to contact him.

Oh well, better luck next time.

G
11-23-2012, 03:47 PM

Even on a tablet it provides all the necessary information to contact him.

Oh well, better luck next time.

Well first impressions says a lot...sorry maybe next time.

G
11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Ceiling, baseboards, doors done..

http://i.imgur.com/zLBcj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/h1QUt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MWxIV.jpg http://i.imgur.com/xskBE.jpg

Kloubek
11-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Like the knockdown ceiling.

I brought some "discount" guys in to do my drywall, and it shows. I had to spend two days feathering their joints myself, and after painting the ceiling it looks like I'm going to have to texture it somehow and re-paint. Time to see if I can pull off a knock-down texture myself....

blitz
11-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Big Al's is awesome for knockdown. They did my main floor for $500 and upstairs (seperate job) for $380.

s_havinga
11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Some good stuff in this thread, since I am right in the middle of it, I will throw a few pictures of my basement project when I get home.

As a side note, I can't believe I have been on Beyond for over 6 years and still don't know how to put more then 1 picture per post, can someone please enlighten me?

Perfect Dark
11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Our basement should be done next week, I'll put some pics up then!

G
11-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by s_havinga
Some good stuff in this thread, since I am right in the middle of it, I will throw a few pictures of my basement project when I get home.

As a side note, I can't believe I have been on Beyond for over 6 years and still don't know how to put more then 1 picture per post, can someone please enlighten me?

http://i.imgur.com/hwQLl.jpg

s_havinga
11-26-2012, 05:04 PM
I am apparently incompetent and don't want to side rail the thread so I threw a few progress pictures into a skydrive folder.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B4E8974877F3A54B!174&authkey=!AHjWD90e-Rrfm-E

Dusty, Dark environment + iphone camera = bad pictures but you get the idea.

The back corner of the big room will host my theater seating and 120" projector screen (hidden in the bulkhead) and my Onkyo 5.1 surround sound system. Not as fancy as some of you guys' but it works for me. The other half will be my workout area with treadmill, elliptical and weights.

Still have to put the doors in, trim it out, and run my AV stuff but it feels good to be on the homestretch of this phase. Next phase is the bathroom, that'll be my December project.

Overall budget is 10-12K. It's looking to be right on track. I have done everything myself except taping and carpet install.

freshprince1
11-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Just working on mine as well. Doing a lot of the work myself. So far I've spent about $1300. Done framing and electrical, and have purchased the tub, vanity and some of the fixtures. My buddy is doing the plumbing for me. Pretty basic basement, in a smaller home: large play area for kids, wall mounted 50" with speakers wired in, office, full bath, laundry/mechanical room. I like doing it myself because I have been able to do some extras for super cheap like: hidden wall safe, extra pvc piping in walls for wiring after everything's done, extra bracing in wall for mounting TV, huge closets everywhere, and an insane amount of plug-ins.

G
12-06-2012, 12:07 PM
moar progress...

http://i.imgur.com/3wGcS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gjwQi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9HGWO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZFwmr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RCEco.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/5Y9aK.jpg

cet
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM
It's coming along really nicely

Ntense_SpecV
12-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Looks really good G. I'm meeting up with Trent tonight to get estimates. Thanks a ton for the lead on him. I'm also getting 4 others within the next 2 weeks to come estimate my job.

G
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Looks really good G. I'm meeting up with Trent tonight to get estimates. Thanks a ton for the lead on him. I'm also getting 4 others within the next 2 weeks to come estimate my job.

He is one of the good ones for sure. Calls me all the time to update me on progress I really like that. Let me know who you decide to go with.