PDA

View Full Version : Winter Stuck/ Recovery Thread 2012

Pages : [1] 2 3

FraserB
11-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Since people are always getting stuck, lets get a list going of people who are able to help out if they are needed. Lets keep it to people who are able to recover/ boost/ winch so that we don't wind up getting another person stuck in the same spot.

Post up vehicle/specs and if there is a certain part of the city you want to take care of. Try to follow the format as best possible.

FraserB 403-862-723Zero
Jeep Grand Cherokee
35" Studded Duratracs
10,000lb winch
Recovery straps (10k-18k lb)
On-board air supply
Transferable recovery points for vehicles with 2" receiver

Spikers 4o3 875 5o95
Coventry/ North of Glenmore to Airdrie
2012 F-150
Recovery straps (10k-18k lb) w/ clevice hooks
Booster cables
Traction pads

ddduke
Ford F350
35" Studded Grapplers
Tow straps
Marda Loop/ Springbank area

Cos 403-483-EightOneEightTwo
Coventry/Airdrie
Ford F150 4x4
32" Toyo GSI-02's
Rear hook
Recovery straps
Have a clevis if you need it

BerserkerCatSplat
Thorncliffe and area
Jeep Grand Cherokee
32" BFG M/T KM
8,500lb winch
Recovery straps (10k-18k lb)
On-board air supply, booster cables, ass't clevises
Transferable recovery point for vehicles with 2" receiver

Boosted131
11-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Boosted131
Dakota with general grabber at2
30 foot tow rope

spikerS
11-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Spikers 4o3 875 5o95
2012 F-150
Recovery straps (10k-18k lb) w/ clevice hooks
Booster cables
Traction pads

I am in Coventry most of the time, and I am willing to cover north of Glenmore to Airdrie. In some instances, I can go outside that as well. Truck is also a supercrew and seats 6 if the worst case scenario happens, I can at least offer a ride home.

ddduke
11-07-2012, 11:22 PM
I can help people out in Springbank or inner city near marda loop.

I drive a f350 with studded 35inch trail grapplers. I don't get all this recovery point/rating stuff, but I have tow straps and pull people out of the ditch in Springbank on a weekly basis.

edit: If kritafo gets stuck then I'm not willing to help her.

btimbit
11-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Like the thread idea!

Brandon
Don't wanna post my number but pm's get instantly emailed to my phone, so pm with your number and I'll text/call you back asap

-'97 GMC Sierra
-31'' Safari TSR (Same as Duratrac's) Studded winters coming in the mail
-20ft tow strap (17000 lb)
-Booster cables

Nothing too serious but if you're in a ditch I can always lend a hand. If it's too serious for me I have no issue using my AMA plus membership to get a professional out there.

Work and live in the deep south. Can cover 22x from Priddis to Langdon, and anywhere south of Glenmore. Willing to go further if you really need a hand.

loweg
11-08-2012, 09:24 AM
1994 Subaru sambar
Many anchor points
5spd w/extra low crawl gear
Push Button 4wd
175/70/13 blizzak on honda hx rims
No winch
No tow straps
No room for booster cables

Willing to pickup coffee and provide polite banter while waiting for a tow vehicle over 1200 lbs

Canmorite
11-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by loweg
1994 Subaru sambar
Many anchor points
5spd w/extra low crawl gear
Push Button 4wd
175/70/13 blizzak on honda hx rims
No winch
No tow straps
No room for booster cables

Willing to pickup coffee and provide polite banter while waiting for a tow vehicle over 1200 lbs

Haha awesome :rofl:

I've pulled quite a few people out of ditches with my old '92 Legacy wagon back in the day.

Sugarphreak
11-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Disoblige
11-08-2012, 10:00 AM
I should have left my summers on and just put spikers or FraserB on speed dial :rofl:

Awesome idea of a thread. Just hope you guys don't get a tons of calls from lurkers every time it snows haha.

Kritafo
11-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
I can help people out in Springbank or inner city near marda loop.

I drive a f350 with studded 35inch trail grapplers. I don't get all this recovery point/rating stuff, but I have tow straps and pull people out of the ditch in Springbank on a weekly basis.

edit: If kritafo gets stuck then I'm not willing to help her.

how thoughtful and I actually opened this thread because I knew someone that needed help this morning out in Springbank.

speedog
11-08-2012, 10:18 AM
1980 Chev El Camino

Can boost but only if there's not even a sniff of snow/ice on these winter roads.

Kidding - it's not gonna see any snowy roads and I'd never get to you in any kind of snowy/icy conditions, I'd be the one looking for a pull.

M.alex
11-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Yes, let's post our phone numbers online, then take calls/PMs from complete stranger who may try to ambush us and rape/kill/burgle us, not to mention the liability you open yourself up to.

Terrific idea :nut:

G-ZUS
11-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Good idea, Maybe a mod can put this thread in ask Leo so only members can see it?

Originally posted by M.alex
Yes, let's post our phone numbers online, then take calls/PMs from complete stranger who may try to ambush us and rape/kill/burgle us, not to mention the liability you open yourself up to.

Terrific idea :nut:

They are big boys who can most likely defend themselves. Not everyone on here is shorter than a (5'4) grade 9'er.

Stunt66
11-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Awesome thread but just out of curiousity what would happen if you caused damage to the car you were trying to pull out? Could they sue you if they wanted to?

lilmira
11-08-2012, 01:14 PM
That depends, just because you are helping someone doesn't mean it's open season for being negligent.

To protect yourself, get the owner to hook up his own vehicle and use common sense. When in doubt, you can always not get involved.

FraserB
11-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66
Awesome thread but just out of curiousity what would happen if you caused damage to the car you were trying to pull out? Could they sue you if they wanted to?

It would be hard. Especially when it is the person who is stuck that hooks up the hook/ strap and they know that things can go wrong, I just double check that it is a secure point (tied into the frame, hitch etc...).

Basically works the same way as Sprikers moving your TV, you assumed the risk and used someone you knew was not a professional and you ok'd the final setup.

btimbit
11-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66

Well hopefully anyone willing to help recover vehicles are people that have a bit of an idea what they're doing. I know my limits (mostly) like I mentioned in my other post, I will call a professional if I can't help.

If avoidable damage did occur I guess fault could be placed on the good samaritan, hopefully both parties are good and honest enough to work out a solution.

Sugarphreak
11-08-2012, 01:24 PM

mr_frenchy
11-08-2012, 06:55 PM
I can't make it up my driveway, can you help me? :D

FraserB
11-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by mr_frenchy
I can't make it up my driveway, can you help me? :D

Want a push up? I do have a bull bar:nut:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/fraserbrown1986/IMG_20121005_183956.jpg

Hallowed_point
11-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Threads like this remind me of why I'm on beyond :thumbsup: all!!

I'd offer to help out with my studded winters & 322 rwtq but I don't think my car was designed for that..it would probably rip apart like a toy :eek:

spikerS
11-08-2012, 07:11 PM
My MO for helping anyone that I am not good friends with is:

I always explain that damage COULD occur, and that I will do everything I can to avoid it, but IF it DOES occur, I am in no way responsible, and they inspect how I load things up, or hook things up, and give me the OK that they are comfortable with it.

Not that I have ever had anything happen, but I am doing someone a favour, and if they want a guarantee, they can hire a professional that has deeper pockets than I.

FraserB
11-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Most cars and SUVs, imports especially, will have a little tow point you can hook a winch hook to or slide a shackle to.

If you have a 2" receiver, get one of these. They make them for 1.25" receivers as well I think. Soooo easy for us to hook up to and pull you out.

http://www.amazon.com/WARN-29312-Receiver-Shackle-Bracket/dp/B000CQFUQ6

SKR
11-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Most cars and SUVs, imports especially, will have a little tow point you can hook a winch hook to or slide a shackle to.

If you have a 2" receiver, get one of these. They make them for 1.25" receivers as well I think. Soooo easy for us to hook up to and pull you out.

http://www.amazon.com/WARN-29312-Receiver-Shackle-Bracket/dp/B000CQFUQ6

Will that hold if you really start pouring the cock to it? If I'm stuck, that's over 7000lbs, plus whatever I'm stuck in. I wonder how hard you can hit it before it breaks. It would probably be fine for cars but those little clevises usually aren't rated for much weight.

I saw these in a magazine:

http://www.monsterhooksinc.com/Products.html

I think I can probably expense one for work. I might get the smaller 25,000lb one unless I can find some reviews online that say they're junk. They're expensive but it's not my money.

Cos
11-08-2012, 07:45 PM

FraserB
11-08-2012, 07:51 PM
No issues, even with VERY stuck Hummers and fullsize trucks.

spikerS
11-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by SKR

Will that hold if you really start pouring the cock to it? If I'm stuck, that's over 7000lbs, plus whatever I'm stuck in. I wonder how hard you can hit it before it breaks. It would probably be fine for cars but those little clevises usually aren't rated for much weight.

I saw these in a magazine:

http://www.monsterhooksinc.com/Products.html

I think I can probably expense one for work. I might get the smaller 25,000lb one unless I can find some reviews online that say they're junk. They're expensive but it's not my money.

Hey, if you are expensing them, I will take 2... :D

btimbit
11-08-2012, 08:14 PM
Got a new tow strap and traction pads from princess auto, stuff on sale. Love that store.

AndyL
11-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I'm holding back due to liability issues; doesn't mean I won't help a beyonder out, so put yer damn stickers on... but probably need clarification from an insurance guru before I'm gonna put my name on a list...

Oi, you guys need some book learning on recovery, 25000lbs? Wtf are you planning to pull with that? (OK so I might have a 50,000lb shackle or 3 here,but not for weight ratings)

baygirl
11-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Getting ready to leave for work in Spiker's truck and want to be sure I got this right...if I get stuck in the north I call Cos, stuck in the south I call Fraser. And whoever I call gets to tell him I broke the truck lol

spikerS
11-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Yeah, I'm holding back due to liability issues; doesn't mean I won't help a beyonder out, so put yer damn stickers on... but probably need clarification from an insurance guru before I'm gonna put my name on a list...

Oi, you guys need some book learning on recovery, 25000lbs? Wtf are you planning to pull with that? (OK so I might have a 50,000lb shackle or 3 here,but not for weight ratings)

Paging Masked Bandit...

tangj
11-08-2012, 09:05 PM
So i drive a truck and i only have experience pulling out other trucks on job sites by tying on the tow strap onto the tow hooks.
But how do you guys help smaller vehicles like civics out of the ditch? What anchor points do you tie the tow straps to.
I figure you would tie it onto the frame of the body. But with the angle you would be pulling at, being in a truck, wouldnt that crack their bumper in the process?

FraserB
11-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Civics have tow points too, just need a shackle to hook to it.

NEVER hook up to anything but a tow point.

cam_wmh
11-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Since people are always getting stuck, lets get a list going of people who are able to help out if they are needed. Lets keep it to people who are able to recover/ boost/ winch so that we don't wind up getting another person stuck in the same spot.

Post up vehicle/specs and if there is a certain part of the city you want to take care of. Try to follow the format as best possible.

FraserB

Spikers

Boosted131

Brandon

ddduke

AndylL

Class fellas. Pint from me already owed to each of ya.

Just humbled at the sense of community and selflessness.

Total class.

Masked Bandit
11-08-2012, 09:11 PM

You bring up a good point and to be honest I'm not 100% sure of the answer. My gut tells me that because this is "helping a stranger / friend" versus a professional service I think you would be okay if something went sideways. With that said, common sense doesn't always prevail in the world of insurance. I will look into it in the morning and let you know what I find out.

With that said of course, we still all have to live in the real world here and if you have the means to help someone out that is in a bad spot and your biggest worry is insurance implications...well then the friggin' lawyers have won. And I don't want to be part of anything like that.

Cos
11-08-2012, 09:13 PM

btimbit
11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by tangj
So i drive a truck and i only have experience pulling out other trucks on job sites by tying on the tow strap onto the tow hooks.
But how do you guys help smaller vehicles like civics out of the ditch? What anchor points do you tie the tow straps to.
I figure you would tie it onto the frame of the body. But with the angle you would be pulling at, being in a truck, wouldnt that crack their bumper in the process?

Strap to plastic bumper and floor it, that's the only way to guarantee safe recovery.

They'll have tow points, just maybe not a shackle to hook to

edit; Damn Fraser beat me

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

You bring up a good point and to be honest I'm not 100% sure of the answer. My gut tells me that because this is "helping a stranger / friend" versus a professional service I think you would be okay if something went sideways. With that said, common sense doesn't always prevail in the world of insurance. I will look into it in the morning and let you know what I find out.

With that said of course, we still all have to live in the real world here and if you have the means to help someone out that is in a bad spot and your biggest worry is insurance implications...well then the friggin' lawyers have won. And I don't want to be part of anything like that.

It's all about character I guess. If someone comes across as a total douche canoe, I'm probably not going to waste my time helping them. If something did go wrong, I'd hope both parties could be honest and friendly enough to work out a mutual solution.

If I came across an injured person laying on the side of the road, I wouldn't just look at him going 'crap, I better not help in case I get blamed for some injuries'

Unfortunately some people are pricks, but I have faith that anyone willing to accept the help would be willing to compromise on a solution in a worst case scenario.

FraserB
11-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I have an Accord in the driveway, I might go shoot a video tomorrow. Or just use Tomco's Civic, it's already a golfball:D

SKR
11-08-2012, 09:17 PM

The heaviest-rated clevis like the one posted earlier that I've seen is 10,000lbs. 15,000 would probably be lots for getting me out if I get planted, but I've never seen one like that.

For the record, the heaviest I've pulled with my truck is a loaded semi that was stuck on ice. It was 140,000lbs. It would be nice to have one good hook or clevis or whatever on the farm for dragging shit around too. That's the nice thing about buying bigger. You can always use the big one for smaller jobs, but you can't use the small one for bigger jobs. I bet it's tough to slide a 6" strap through that clevis.

For the record part two, I don't have the figures on hand, but I doubt very much that the hitch on any of my trucks are rated for 25,000lbs. It's definitely more than 10,000lbs though.

For the record part three, a big hook left in the receiver of a big truck means big cock, and that means all the ladies will want to blow me. Everybody knows that.

AndyL
11-08-2012, 09:20 PM

NEVER hook up to anything but a tow point.

Totally wrong...

Nowadays the 'tow points' are actually only rated for loading on/off a flat deck, they are not a recovery point... in other words, they're meant to drag a vehicle in neutral on a flat surface with minimal rolling resistance

Best recovery method on newer cars is to wrap a wheel or do a cruse loop...

I can dig up some wreckmaster training literature if someone really wants to read up...

btimbit
11-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Totally wrong...

Nowadays the 'tow points' are actually only rated for loading on/off a flat deck, they are not a recovery point... in other words, they're meant to drag a vehicle in neutral on a flat surface with minimal rolling resistance

Best recovery method on newer cars is to wrap a wheel or do a cruse loop...

I can dig up some wreckmaster training literature if someone really wants to read up...

If it's not a pain for you to dig up I'd love to do some homework, I love stuff like this

FraserB
11-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Sorry, should have clarified by saying not to loop around suspension.

That Cruse Loop looks interesting.

I will admit that 99% of my recovery is with vehicles that have dedicated recovery points front and back. Definitely not going to use a kinetic strap on the little loops on cars :eek:

I was hooking up with a shackle and just applying smooth force after knocking down anything in the way first, no jerk unless its a truck or SUV with real points.

Kloubek
11-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Wicked thread. Good for you guys.

If I still had my Jeep, I would sign up myself. But even with AWD, I fear the CX9 isn't going to be a ton of help.

AndyL
11-08-2012, 09:33 PM
I'll see if I can find it, I've seen them in the post move apocalypse somewhere... just not where it should be...

Masked - yeah, I'm just weary of posting online, and with the number of douches I yarded out while towing, and how many tried to make an insurance claim... mind you I still have the towcam and now the dashcam...but they aren't 100% coverage.

Anyone know where to get a smoking deal on amber LED strobes? I feel nekkid on the side of the highway, without all my old blinky lights...

FraserB
11-08-2012, 09:35 PM
I've been poking around lightdepot.ca a little bit. seem to have a good variety.

AndyL
11-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Fraser - a 3"x30' strap works well too ;) and yeah, if your good with a stick, can keep ya out of the mud holes... it works good on real 4x4s too...

Cos
11-08-2012, 09:45 PM

ddduke
11-08-2012, 09:56 PM

codetrap
11-08-2012, 11:10 PM
I'll see if I can find it, I've seen them in the post move apocalypse somewhere... just not where it should be...

Masked - yeah, I'm just weary of posting online, and with the number of douches I yarded out while towing, and how many tried to make an insurance claim... mind you I still have the towcam and now the dashcam...but they aren't 100% coverage.

Anyone know where to get a smoking deal on amber LED strobes? I feel nekkid on the side of the highway, without all my old blinky lights... I saw some yesterday at acklands grainger on 19th st. Maybe give them a call..

delco21
11-08-2012, 11:52 PM
I saw some at wal mart too in the car section

Masked Bandit
11-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Listen up Ladies!

I confirmed with an adjuster who confirmed with his manager this morning that if you are helping someone out of a ditch / snowbank / whatever and additional damage occurs, you, as the helper, are NOT liable in any way as long as you had the owner's permission to "help". So if you come across an abandoned vehicle and decide you're going to just "help out" well then you're on your own (not like that would ever happen).

So when Cos decideds to take the Cobra out for a spin tonight and piles it into the ditch, Spikers can safely come & pull him out without fear of an insurance claim regardless of additional damage.

Does anyone know if it's ACTUALLY POSSIBLE for a Ford to pull ANYTHING out of a ditch???

I keeed, I keeed...

:rofl:

Carry on good people.

btimbit
11-09-2012, 10:13 AM

Listen up Ladies!

I confirmed with an adjuster who confirmed with his manager this morning that if you are helping someone out of a ditch / snowbank / whatever and additional damage occurs, you, as the helper, are NOT liable in any way as long as you had the owner's permission to "help". So if you come across an abandoned vehicle and decide you're going to just "help out" well then you're on your own (not like that would ever happen).

Carry on good people.

Great to know! Thanks

spikerS
11-09-2012, 10:42 AM

Does anyone know if it's ACTUALLY POSSIBLE for a Ford to pull ANYTHING out of a ditch???

I keeed, I keeed...

Carry on good people.

I am only laughing because you got stuck with a Dodge. :D

But, this is all good information to know!

AndyL
11-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Well, that unmuddies the water...

Thanks masked!

Masked Bandit
11-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by spikers

I am only laughing because you got stuck with a Dodge. :D

But, this is all good information to know!

If GM ever gets their act together and brings their trucks back up to speed with the rest of the world this goatwagon will be gone faster than you can say "Does it have a Hemi?"!

78si
11-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Anyone know where to get a smoking deal on amber LED strobes? I feel nekkid on the side of the highway, without all my old blinky lights...

The lack of safety lights + road raging zombies makes recovery kinda sketchy.

kvg
11-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm stuck at work, but I don't think a truck can help me:cry:

AndyL
11-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 78si

The lack of safety lights + road raging zombies makes recovery kinda sketchy.

there's definitely times and places o be considered... I'd love to think everyone here will use common sense and not be trying to pull people off deerfoot at rush hour with just a strap and lead foot...

btimbit
11-09-2012, 06:08 PM

there's definitely times and places o be considered... I'd love to think everyone here will use common sense and not be trying to pull people off deerfoot at rush hour with just a strap and lead foot...

I've seen stupider... and using a PERSON to block incoming traffic around a blind corner. Clever.

I'm always a fan of going to get a coffee and waiting until it's safer.

M.alex
11-14-2012, 03:58 PM

Listen up Ladies!

So when Cos decideds to take the Cobra out for a spin tonight and piles it into the ditch, Spikers can safely come & pull him out without fear of an insurance claim regardless of additional damage.

I keeed, I keeed...

Carry on good people.

That's nice - except what happens if you arn't dealing w/ that adjuster/manager and the one you are dealing with decides to say 'f-you, sue us if you disagree'.

FraserB
11-14-2012, 04:06 PM
No way to get insurance info, unless you give it to them. But I don't understand why you would.

It would go like this.

Them: Thanks for getting me out and keeping me from freezing in the cold for hours, can I have your insurance info?

Me: Get fucked.

M.alex
11-14-2012, 04:13 PM
No way to get insurance info, unless you give it to them. But I don't understand why you would.

It would go like this.

Them: Thanks for getting me out and keeping me from freezing in the cold for hours, can I have your insurance info?

Me: Get fucked.

Them: Okay *writes down license plate*

*Call Police*

Them: Hello; this person caused property damage to my property. I'd like to file charges.

*You - BUT A RANDOM GUY ONLINE SAID IT WAS OKAY TO HELP!*

*Police - Tell it to the court*

FraserB
11-14-2012, 05:04 PM
You're missing the part where they have to tell the cops they asked for help in the first place. And were told that it could damage their vehicle more.

And the CPS agrees with Masked Bandit. They would pretty much explain to anyone who came in that they asked for help, knew I wasn't a professional, didn't have to accept my help and I'm not liable.

spikerS
11-14-2012, 05:14 PM
That's right. There is a good Samaritan act in the lawbooks that says you can't be held liable if given the information at hand or situation, that if you act to help someone, you can not be held responsible.

The context it was given to me was, someone has a heart attack and is unconscious, and you decide to help by giving CPR, but have not been trained, only with what you have seen on tv. So you start to perform it, but you start compressions and break the guys breast bone and he dies from that, not the heart attack. Because you were acting with his best intentions in mind, and there were no other options, you can't be held responsible for it.

M.alex
11-14-2012, 06:26 PM

The context it was given to me was, someone has a heart attack and is unconscious, and you decide to help by giving CPR, but have not been trained, only with what you have seen on tv. So you start to perform it, but you start compressions and break the guys breast bone and he dies from that, not the heart attack. Because you were acting with his best intentions in mind, and there were no other options, you can't be held responsible for it.

Enjoy getting thrown through the wringer and hoping like hell they don't charge you with manslaughter in that scenario.

Here's my point - you help somebody and it backfires. They, more than likely, will go after you.

You may have the law/insurance/etc... on your side, but it is going to be an uphill battle and one hell of a lot of stress on you to prove you arn't liable. It's not going to be a cookie-cutter open and close okay, you arn't liable, go on your way now situation.

It's like that Magnus-wahtever act in the US to prevent dealers from denying your warranty because of mods - yes, the law is on your side, but IF the dealer wants to, they can and will make your life a living hell before you get proper restitution.

FraserB
11-14-2012, 06:31 PM

spikerS
11-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Enjoy getting thrown through the wringer and hoping like hell they don't charge you with manslaughter in that scenario.

Here's my point - you help somebody and it backfires. They, more than likely, will go after you.

You may have the law/insurance/etc... on your side, but it is going to be an uphill battle and one hell of a lot of stress on you to prove you arn't liable. It's not going to be a cookie-cutter open and close okay, you arn't liable, go on your way now situation.

It's like that Magnus-wahtever act in the US to prevent dealers from denying your warranty because of mods - yes, the law is on your side, but IF the dealer wants to, they can and will make your life a living hell before you get proper restitution.

according to this, it seems like it would never make it to a court room.

http://www.reddeeraltalaw.com/articles/thegoodsamaritan.htm

FraserB
11-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Good Samaritan Act only covers medical situations.

I'm not worried at all, getting the same story from insurance and the police.

spikerS
11-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Good Samaritan Act only covers medical situations.

I'm not worried at all, getting the same story from insurance and the police.

Not necessarily according to the light reading I have done.

A lot of the laws in Canada covering this type of situation specifies almost any instance that a person could require assistance, whether it be medical or otherwise. As long as the case can be made that the subject is in some type of "peril", the GSA can apply.

In fact, in Quebec, if you see someone in "peril" and refuse to act, you can be charged and brought before a court. The law states you MUST help someone in peril.

So, the case could be made that if someone is stuck on the side of the road, they are in "peril" whether from freezing, or an obstacle that could cause an accident...Loose interpretation, i know, but, plausible...

spikerS
11-14-2012, 06:54 PM
this example is taken from Ontario's GSA. I have yet to find one that covers AB, and each province has it's own GSA apparently. More prevalent is ABs "Emergency medical aid act".

but, this is apparently a common example of a GSA:

Protection from liability 2. (1) Despite the rules of common law, a person described in subsection (2) who voluntarily and without reasonable expectation of compensation or reward provides the services described in that subsection is not liable for damages that result from the person's negligence in acting or failing to act while providing the services, unless it is established that the damages were caused by the gross negligence of the person.

spikerS
12-25-2012, 01:03 AM
lfrjeuaqESk

Have fun out there guys!

Tik-Tok
12-25-2012, 01:17 AM
I hope he didn't take off with your tow strap :rofl:

I helped a couple last night as well. Was leaving work at 7pm and saw them with their hood up. Serpentine belt was off, so I went back to work and grabbed my tools. The idler pulley was loose, so I snugged it up, then got the belt back on.

Came right off again, so I took the idler off and saw it was completely thrashed. Bearing was FUBAR on it. Probably spent an hour in -25 trying to help them, and I couldn't fix it, so I told them their best hope was to get home quick and hope the battery lasted.

spikerS
12-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I hope he didn't take off with your tow strap :rofl:

haha, He knew it was there, I just wanted us off to the side to let traffic pass us again, as there was another guy behind us blocking traffic so I could pull him out. He just pulled off to the side and I unhooked it, and we went on our merry way.

projekz
12-25-2012, 04:24 PM
What happened with the Nissan? He wasn't equipped to pull him out? Or you just did this:
http://www.sussegado.xpg.com.br/wp-content/uploads/i-got-this.gif

spikerS
12-25-2012, 05:43 PM
^^I just told that gay monkey to leave my shit alone!

yes, mr chow said that in the hangover 2. :rofl:

No idea why the nissan left, I don't know if he had any recovery tools, and he probably didn't have the weight to be effective. it was pretty slick on that embankment, and you can even see my truck's front end sliding around a bit.

either way, I was happy to help out.

projekz
12-25-2012, 06:22 PM
Good on you to help out. It's selfless acts like this that restore my faith in humanity...for about 8 seconds.:rofl:

Hopefully that driver pays it forward.

TomcoPDR
12-26-2012, 12:48 AM
I had a failed attempt helping someone out, but will still write about it, lol.

Christmas night (tonight), saw a broken down white Durango N.B. Macleod little after Canyon Meadows turn off... Turned around, and realized their left front tire popped off the rim.

But I wasn't gonna help 'em change left side tire without police escort, cuz no offense, I don't trust any of you drivers out there.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/IMG_3003.jpg

But the rim was just too iced up on the rotors, and after half an hour trying to kick it off, officer Sweetchuck from Police Academy came out and kinda told us our time was up... so he called a tow truck.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/250px-Sweetchuck.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/imagesCARNNQVM.jpg

Went home, took my gloves off, then realized somehow I bruised my hand really bad while trying to pry that rim off. :( :( If only I had M.Alex biceps.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/Random/IMG_3005.jpg

btimbit
12-26-2012, 01:41 AM
Well since its story time, Had one the other night as well. Similar to what spikers posted, sentra slid off the embankment on an onramp (eastbound 22x to northbound Macleod) already 4 trucks pulled over trying to push the guy out, but none of them had any recovery gear. Strapped it to the hitch and out she came no problem. Guy offered to buy me a coffee but I turned it down.

Helped a kid change his tire last month as well. Side of deerfoot, which I'd never consider but it was pretty far to the side, few meters from the closest lane, plus I had just got some amber strobes on the truck and a reflective cone so I felt fairly visible. Nice kid, offered to buy me a case of beer

Sugarphreak
12-31-2012, 11:30 PM

Kloubek
12-31-2012, 11:40 PM
Music you selected was almost as nasty as the weather. Expected to see the titties in this early 80's porn but was sorely disappointed.

Sugarphreak
12-31-2012, 11:47 PM

projekz
01-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Nice dude. Where was that? Looks pretty busy on the highway...lots of traffic.

Sugarphreak
01-01-2013, 01:23 PM

SKR
01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Off to buy a real hook this morning. I had to pull a semi with super b's out last night and all we had was a ball hitch to hook the strap to. He was trying to back down a laneway to turn around but the snow was too deep. The homeowner hooked on first with his Ford 1/2 ton and got him out the first time, and I got him out twice more with my 3/4 ton. The guy with the 1/2 ton ended up having to get his tractor out to plow his driveway so the semi driver could back up far enough to get turned around.

Pro tip: put on your seatbelt. I forgot to the second time, and I hit my head on the headliner when I hit the end of the strap. The semi weighed about 20,000kg so you come to a pretty abrupt stop.

spikerS
01-03-2013, 08:38 AM
there is this:
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8173742/Pintle-Hooks/12%2C000-lb-Tow-Hook

But I would prefer something like this:
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8386088/Pintle-Hooks/3/4-in.-Class-IV-Tow-Shackle

SKR
01-03-2013, 08:52 AM
There's a local place that has the hook, and that's the only place in town I've found that has anything heavy enough. I think things would have to get pretty rowdy for a strap to come off a hook. That will have to do for now. I found out last night I have nothing to hook a strap to. Both trucks have closed loops on the front, and the hitches on the back are right up against the bumper so there's no way to loop a strap around that either. I tried once on another truck I had and fucked the bumper.

spikerS
01-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by SKR
There's a local place that has the hook, and that's the only place in town I've found that has anything heavy enough. I think things would have to get pretty rowdy for a strap to come off a hook. That will have to do for now. I found out last night I have nothing to hook a strap to. Both trucks have closed loops on the front, and the hitches on the back are right up against the bumper so there's no way to loop a strap around that either. I tried once on another truck I had and fucked the bumper.

then maybe a simple clevis hook would work better. I use that on my front recovery points on my ford, and it works great.

SKR
01-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Where do you buy a big clevis though? I've never been able to find one, but it seems like my local stores go out of their way to not stock things I want or need, just to piss me off.

I went to National Trailer Parts to buy that hook receiver. I was there in the summer, saw it, picked it up and took it to the counter, and asked the guy what it was worth. But I didn't buy it. Today I go in, and not only do they not have it, they say they've never had anything like it and weren't even sure that they could order it in. They finally found it in the catalog but didn't think it would be heavy enough.

Fuck. It wouldn't be such a big deal if I knew where I was going to be from day to day, but I work out of town and don't want to order anything if I'm not going to be there to get it for weeks at a time.

Edit: My life isn't nearly as bad as my whiny bitch posts would indicate.

Black Gts
01-03-2013, 07:43 PM
look for rigging supplies. Titan supply should be able to help you with clevices, I believe Shaw Industries (I think thats the name) is the same.

AndyL
01-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Campbell mac 12st ne between 32 and mcknight - guarantee they have every size you could want... And a few you never thought existed :)

spikerS
01-03-2013, 09:10 PM
i bought everything from PA.

Unknown303
01-03-2013, 09:19 PM

:werd: My recovery strap and all mounting hardware is from PA and I've had two Jeeps reaming on it to pull out my 3/4 tonne Duramax when I had it. never had any failures, and the price is more than right.

spikerS
01-03-2013, 09:21 PM

FraserB
01-10-2013, 05:03 PM
Bit surprised no one has posted up in here today.

spikerS
01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Bit surprised no one has posted up in here today.

no kidding. Not one person called me.

btimbit
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
I had one last night, but I was able to drive it out, didn't think it was worthy of sharing

FraserB
01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Maybe I'll go get the truck stuck so I have something to do:burnout:

Tik-Tok
01-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Maybe Baygirls relatives will be calling you to drive to NFLD, lol...

A massive blizzard could dump as much as 100 cm of snow on parts of Newfoundland overnight, according to meteorologists, leading local residents to start stocking up on supplies.

Light snow began falling early Thursday morning on the Burin Peninsula but soon intensified, prompting school cancellations. By mid-afternoon, falling snow driven by winds created blizzard-like conditions, forcing businesses and banks to close.

In St. John’s, residents began stocking up on supplies, such as bread, eggs and milk, in anticipation of the snowstorm.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/newfoundland-bracing-for-massive-100-cm-dump-of-snow-1.1109200#ixzz2HcQIviYs

projekz
01-10-2013, 10:02 PM
I pulled a E430 Mercedes out of the ditch on Crowchild this evening. I enjoyed it:D

Alak
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Who would have thought a 2 Inch Strap would break between two 1 tons? Guy made fun of my truck anyways, so I left his ass on the side of the highway.