PDA

View Full Version : Florida Keys

davidI
11-09-2012, 01:45 AM
I'll have 3 or 4 days in the Florida Keys. I've rented a convertible in Miami and plan to drive down to Key West.

I'm staying on Key Looe at a dive resort.

Any suggestions / recommendations for what to do / see? I'll probably try to get in a day or two of diving so I won't have a lot of extra time...but hopefully enough to see the highlights!

projekz
11-09-2012, 09:23 AM
I was there in June. Go check out the Southernmost point and house. There's a lot of good restaurants on the main drive in OldTown. Stay clear of the west side of the island since its all commercialized (Home Depot, Outback steakhouse etc) it kinda ruined the fun. Try and go to Pigeon Key if you can, it's worth it.

Oh and Key Ramrod :rofl:

davidI
11-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Did you have a car? I've heard parking can be tough on Key West.

projekz
11-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I rented a car in Orlando while visiting a friend and made the drive down. I had no issues parking in Key West at all. There's parking meters almost everywhere so make sure you bring some change. I also was there during the week so it wasn't as busy. It's a nice cozy place. Not what I expected at all tho...

Grogador
11-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Key West itself is just a touristy little hole. Check out the southernmost point/house/buoy, chill on the beach, whatever watersports you want, etc. For me, the drive from Ft Lauderdale was more exciting! I stopped at a few random places with an armed blimp, weird storm-related stuff, fishing under a draw-bridge, etc. Oh and don't forget the Everglades park with the alligators and other strageness. Get a nice rental and top it out on the seven mile bridge, cops love that :thumbsup: