PDA

View Full Version : Adding weights while doing cardio - anyone do this?

rx7boi
11-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Sup guys,

I know that there are training vests which add ~20 pounds. Right now I'm trying out a new cardio routine where I wear a backpack with roughly 40-50lb of books in it while I walk on an incline on a treadmill. I hope this will help increase weight loss (in addition to diet and lifting) even quicker.

I'm well aware that adding too much weight will also increase the risk joint problems, so I definitely don't put more than I can handle.

Has anyone ever done this? How did it work out for you?

PS: Looking for real answers from people who are actually fit. Please don't tread here with your opinion if you are Vagabond.

Vagabond142
11-09-2012, 09:24 AM
t(^^ t) :D :drama:

Quiet10
11-09-2012, 09:25 AM
:rofl: :rofl:
Ouch.

GQBalla
11-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Wheres Vagabonds thread where he was destined to look like Bruce Lee?

Back on topic though, I would think its a great tool.

During the summer i started jogging and my time was 6 min/km. I was on call one time i wanted to jog. Put on the on call back pack only weighed 13.7 pounds and my time was 9 min/km.

I was super exhausted and i found after that it improved my time and pace.

dirtsniffer
11-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Just don't hold on to the bar.

trollolhah
11-09-2012, 11:02 AM
You'd have to ask a real saiyan for that, they wear weighted clothing everyday!

jjmac
11-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi
Sup guys,

I know that there are training vests which add ~20 pounds. Right now I'm trying out a new cardio routine where I wear a backpack with roughly 40-50lb of books in it while I walk on an incline on a treadmill. I hope this will help increase weight loss (in addition to diet and lifting) even quicker.

I'm well aware that adding too much weight will also increase the risk joint problems, so I definitely don't put more than I can handle.

Has anyone ever done this? How did it work out for you?

PS: Looking for real answers from people who are actually fit. Please don't tread here with your opinion if you are Vagabond.

I don't see a need to add weights while doing cardio.

If you want weights, lift weights and add low intensity (65%-75% max heart rate) cardio after weight lifting for the extra fat burn.

Been doing weight lifting the past 6 months with added cardio at low intensity every other day for 45mins-1 hour and I went from 245lbs to 210lbs currently and dropping.

yVru0caI1UA

A790
11-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Short answer, there's no need.

Long answer, you'll be more effective to increase the intensity of your weight lifting and cardio separately as opposed to trying to mix the two.

hrdkore
11-09-2012, 12:09 PM
If you're only walking, it is fine, but wouldn't recommend it for long periods, since it is putting unnecessary pressure on joints. I've done it with a weighted vest while doing using the stair machine and it does work quite well for cardio, even without the vest stair master machine works quite well with cardio. Since i work out at a boxing gym, i've also seen fighters train with masks, sort of like the ones you use for painting not the full respirator, but this is sorta like simulating working out in higher altitudes, that is an less intrusive alternative.

scboss
11-10-2012, 02:11 PM
The only time I use weights is when climbing the stair master or using my prowler sled. I see a huge difference but it's more sport specific then weightless IMO

rx7boi
11-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Just don't hold on to the bar.

So true hahaha, gotta love the people who walk @ 12 incline and then hold the top of their machine.

I definitely think I'll keep this routine for several weeks and see how it works out, it seems to help keep target heart rate more consistent.

davidI
11-12-2012, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by A790
Short answer, there's no need.

Long answer, you'll be more effective to increase the intensity of your weight lifting and cardio separately as opposed to trying to mix the two.

This. I posted a good article on HIIT vs. LISS in someone's training log....just can't recall whose...

edit: found it - http://www.simplyshredded.com/cardio-for-fat-loss-high-intensity-interval-training-cardio-vs-low-intensity-steady-state-cardio.html

austic
11-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Weighted vests are great for training such as weighted dips, pull ups, hill climbs, etc....
I used mine for trail runs and stair climbs in the summer and found it made a difference for what I wanted, which was training for Tough Mudder in Whistler.
I would say unless you are already very fit there is no need as you would get more from just cardio and weight lifting.

Tej.S
11-15-2012, 11:40 PM
It's different for everyone. Try it out and see if you get the results you want. Although I'd probably say it wouldn't help too much since most of your weight loss is going to come from your diet. If you're intent on doing cardio, just do low intensity sessions before your first meal in the morning. Another thing you could try is circuit training. Depending on the routine, it can range from simple exercises(push ups, pull-ups, burpees, free weight movements, etc) to more complex exercises. This helps to burn a lot of calories as well, but be warned, it's intense! Best of luck.