PDA

View Full Version : DJ Jazzy Jeff at Cowboys

spiceboy
11-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Jazzy Jeff is spinning again in Calgary at Cowboys on Nov 11 (this Sunday). Anyone going?

sexualbanana
11-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Reaaaaaaally? Nice!

RNB11
11-09-2012, 11:34 PM
I'll be there. Just look out for the only Asian guy :)

spiceboy
11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by RNB11
I'll be there. Just look out for the only Asian guy :)
Make that two!

EK 2.0
11-10-2012, 12:57 PM
If you are going...then be prepared for one hell of a show...

Jazzy Jeff is a master on the tables...and if he gets into his sample sets....its maddd educational too...teach you youngbloods about what and where samples for popular tracks came from...

jA1bFwpHWdg

And part 2....

6jBuZLuwmO4

Like in this clip...listen and learn haha...

Man, I really need to go get my tables out of storage dammit!!...:banghead:

D'z Nutz
11-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Like in this clip...listen and learn haha...

Haha I like ?uestlove's reaction during Shook Ones

EK 2.0
11-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Agreed...if you can get ?uestlove to jaw drop then you are doing something right hahaha...

For me...and you know hip hop runs in my veins D'z...I just like listening to originals, and like "doing the math" to see how which producer used which old school track to meld into a beat that we all know and can name within the first bar of a song you know haha...

And Jazzy Jeff excels at that...his sets are unreal...

sexualbanana
11-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Beyond Meet!!!

Maxx Mazda
11-10-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm leaving for Vegas tomorrow or I'd totally be there!

sexualbanana
11-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Anyone else go? It was lots of fun

RY213
11-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

The sample for shook ones was considered to be one of the holy grails of crate digging. Until recently nobody knew the origin of the sample which is crazy considering how popular the song is. That's why Questo was blown away when Jazz played the original. Even crazier is the fact that the sample is a slowed down Herbie Hancock loop that people probably heard thousands of times but never connected it to shook ones.

urrforce
11-12-2012, 02:47 PM
he dropped a new mixtape today on his site

http://www.djjazzyjeff.com/archives/2938

spiceboy
11-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Yeh I was there.
Nothing less I expected from The Magnificent. Surreal experience.

I was happy to find myself hearing new stuff for the first 30min of the set. I scavenger hunt pretty much everything Jeff has on his site, YouTube, PodCast, etc ... so I know a lot of his recent sets by heart.

If there is one thing I need to complain is the lack of soul/funk/old school stuff on last night's set. The one set I have on repeat on my playlist is his DoOver appearance as per what EK posted. But I understand the demographic in Cow Town and L.A. is completely different. Can't blame him for mixing more pop/rock/electronic stuff to please our Canadian crowd. Hah, it's like non-Asians going into a chinese restaurant getting a westernized menu :rofl:

The girl standing next to me commented that "Jazzy Jeff is like ... what ... 70 yrs old?" :facepalm:

Perhaps I should catch his show in L.A. or Philly next time. Dream on.

Shouldn't complain ... at least I get a free T-shirt (DJ Kev and drummer guy) and a picture with THE MAN himself, Jazzy Jeff.

spiceboy
11-12-2012, 05:06 PM
One more afterthought from me: I feel bad for him doing these tours "at this age". What I mean is a lot of the young kids who go to his shows (as witnessed last night) knows NOTHING about his legend and he doesn't get the kind of respect he deserves. I stayed after the show to get his picture but honestly I didn't have to wait long cuz there were only 4 people in front of me.

I'd expect someone as legendary as him would get a much bigger following, but considering that 90% of audience was in early 20s ... well you catch my drift

Last time he came here was almost 5 yrs ago. As long as he keeps touring Canada I'll keep going (he'll be over 50 if it's another 5 yr wait :nut: )

sexualbanana
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by spiceboy
One more afterthought from me: I feel bad for him doing these tours "at this age". What I mean is a lot of the young kids who go to his shows (as witnessed last night) knows NOTHING about his legend and he doesn't get the kind of respect he deserves. I stayed after the show to get his picture but honestly I didn't have to wait long cuz there were only 4 people in front of me.

I'd expect someone as legendary as him would get a much bigger following, but considering that 90% of audience was in early 20s ... well you catch my drift

Last time he came here was almost 5 yrs ago. As long as he keeps touring Canada I'll keep going (he'll be over 50 if it's another 5 yr wait :nut: )

Wait, I could've gotten a picture with him!?! :banghead:

I did get snaked though by Skills who took the girl home that I was hitting on... Game recognize game.