PDA

View Full Version : Write off vehicles

Daxin
11-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I am wondering if people had this experience. I had my Echo wrote off because a person rear ended me. I had just put on brand new winter tires on and had told the claims adjuster. I was just awarded a settlement and an Impound co. is coming to tow the car away. The question is, what would happen if I took the winter tires off before they took the car?

Thanx

FraserB
11-09-2012, 11:45 PM
So you need some advice on committing fraud?

guessboi
11-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

:rofl:

Did you tell the adjustor the tires are new? They do factor in new tires, rims, etc in their system you know.

Team_Mclaren
11-10-2012, 01:21 AM
^^ I dont think that matters as much as people think. Most cases the adjustor/insurance company/appraiser will never see the car again. It gets towed to the salvage yard and auction off.

JordanAndrew
11-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Put the stock tires back on(assuming you had them on a different set of wheels) and keep the winter tires.

As long as it's got the original wheels and tires, it should be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

cream
11-10-2012, 03:50 AM
In response to this type of situation, what kind of things are you able to take out?

Not being cheap but what about floor mats or other stuff?

I heard as long as it's still driveable it's fine?

speedog
11-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
^^ I dont think that matters as much as people think. Most cases the adjustor/insurance company/appraiser will never see the car again. It gets towed to the salvage yard and auction off.
Yeah, but it would really suck to be that person who gets caught, eh. Rules are such that one is not supposed to profit from an insurance company's payout on a claim - to do otherwise is committing fraud as FraserB said above.

Now there's going to be a whole bunch who come on here and say how they've made money on paid out claims, but one also has to realize that on a cash payout (for example: hail damage on a roof that you'll fix yourself), the amounts paid out to you are lower than what a contractor would get from your insurance company. Your time is not paid for - yeah, you'll probably realize some cash in your pocket for doing the job yourself, but the insurance company at the same time has saved a good chunk of monies.

I suppose a friendly call to your insurance company couldn't hurt to find out exactly what your pay settlement out included - after all, it's your insurance policy that you've been paying premiums on and you, as a consumer, should have the right to know you're getting the best bang for your buck.

Masked Bandit
11-10-2012, 09:51 AM
The settlement offer the insurance company gave you was for the car "as is" including the winter tires. If you call the adjuster the will be able to give you a revised amount with the other tires and wheels on. It may not be much difference at all but you should call first. If you get caught it can really mess you up for future insurance.

Daxin
11-10-2012, 05:53 PM
I've called and they said the settlement would be affected.

Maybelater
11-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

I don't really see his post as an ask for help ripping off the insurance company, but more a curious question. I think it is a good question.