PDA

View Full Version : I need guidance on losing weight

krono
11-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Fellow beyonders! I need your help on losing weight, a lot of weight.

I am currently sitting at 210 lbs! and I'm exactly 6'0ft
My goal is to reach my original weight of 140 which was 3 years ago since I got a desk job.

After so much reading I've decided to do somethings that will help.

*Since October 2012, I have given up a lot of bad habits like eating at fast food restaurants such as Mcdonalds/burger king.
I don't drink pop or drink alcohol anymore, only water or hot tea. I don't eat very late also, by 9 PM nothing goes to my mouth except water or eat.
No more chips or chocolate either and other unhealthy snacks.

*I've been eating a lot more fish, especially steamed tilapia and I heard that fish fat and fish oil is very good for losing weight. 1 pound of fish fat is equivalent to 1 pound of fat lost? I only eat maximum 2 bowls of rice/noodles/pasta, if you don't know what I mean, it's those little bowls you see at Chinese restaurants.

I've been doing some walking and some running 30-45 minutes, not yet ready to commit $ on the gym but if I have to, I will.
I need help on choosing what to eat and when I should eat and how much to eat.
Recommendations and also tips n tricks would be appreciated

I fear it's not enough but it's a good start.

I want to add some fruits that would help me lose weight and also cooked veggies to add in the meals.

Should I go buy supplements to help me lose weight? Like Fish oil capsules or fat burners like

http://www.popeyescanada.com/inf_precision_6pack_men.php

Please help me lose my beer belly, love handles and the dreaded man boobs!

KRyn
11-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Try the search function, or just browse the Sports, Health & Fitness area of this site. There are a vast number of threads dedicated to weight lose and how to cook and eat to lose weight.

Good luck.

roopi
11-10-2012, 02:54 PM
All I can say is don't waste money on fat burners at this point. Figure out your diet since this is the most important part of weight loss.

krono
11-10-2012, 02:57 PM
^I wanted some feed back on those fat burner pills or fish oil pills, looks like I should steer clear off it?

Does it work or very little or no effect? I mean money is not an issue if it works, what about shakes?

CompletelyNumb
11-10-2012, 03:10 PM
"Money is not an issue if it works"

I've got good news for you then. Gym membership ($) + effort (free) == works.

140 is to light at that height, so throw some weight training in as well. It will help you burn more weight in the long run.

badatusrnames
11-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Calorie and portion reduction. Even "healthy" foods still contain calories, you can't eat unlimited amounts of them and think that you're magically going to lose weight because you don't eat McDonald's anymore. Reducing calorie intake is just as important as exercise.

A certain type of food won't "make" you lose weight, but yes, you can substitute higher calorie foods for lower calorie ones in your meals.

Eat until you're no longer hungry, not until you are full - it's ok to leave food on your plate and put it in the fridge for next time.

Sounds like you're on the right track with all that though.

Also, ask yourself if you really need that snack - are you eating because you're actually hungry, or because you're doing so out of habit or for something to do? If you feel the urge to have a snack, instead have a cup of tea with artificial sweetener or something else to drink, like Crystal Light.

Kloubek
11-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that 140 is particularily low for being 6' tall? I'm 215-220, almost 6' tall, and I couldn't possibly imagine going down to that weight. I was 145 in high school and in my opinion, way too thin.

My body naturally likes to be around my current weight, and even working out 4 times a week I wasn't able (and didn't want) to get below 205-210.

If the 60 pounds is all fat, I do understand your goal of 140. But I would argue you'd be much better aiming for around 170 with increased muscle mass.

You're certainly on the right track from the diet changes you've made. As long as you keep your heart rate up for your workout times I can't imagine you won't see a change. Yes, it might be a bit slow but that is healthier than shedding the pounds super quickly. If I were you, I'd add lifting weights to your routine. If you don't want to commit $ to this, even filling milk jugs with water and using those would work.

krono
11-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I was planning to get a gym membership but I just can't find the time and I need redo my schedule or cut down on work which I don't want to do. I don't wish to lose my good position that I've worked hard for.
I work 9 hours a day + 1h30minutes of commuting and that's 6 days a week. I'm not physically fatigued, I'm mentally fatigued and lacking a lot of will power. But I shouldn't be using excuses, I need to find solutions!

After discussions with a previous personal trainer back in the day, he suggested light weights lifting and more twice the reps with bunch of cardio. He didn't comment on the shakes or supplements that may help me, which I'm trying to dig out more info.

Maybe I'm just delusional and looking for a magic pill that help me get lean again :(

I'm really sick and tired of eating tilapia fish fat after 1 month straight T.T, I'll be digging around here for more meal plans

Seth1968
11-10-2012, 03:50 PM
http://www.drpr.com.au/public-relations-blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/troll-hole.jpg

CanmoreOrLess
11-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Juice fast for seven plus days. Watch the movie: Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. The library has it, rent it, Telus has it as well.

It works, day five and six are the hard ones, after that clear sailing. I dropped 15% of my body weight in twelve days. Desk jobs are a killer for me as well.

black13
11-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd say your on the right track. Make slow changes as its really hard to all of a sudden change your entire lifestyle over a week or so.

Continue your running/walking for a month and then try and find the time for gym. Even 45 min at the gym is good to start.

I wouldn't say you have to just eat fish. Chicken is ok as well. Bake everything without oil in the oven. Switch to whole grains but you should try to minimize break/rice anyway.

And drink more water. Not too much as it makes you hungry but at least a couple glasses a day.

rob the knob
11-10-2012, 04:35 PM
6foot and 140pounds puts you at bmi of 19. that is suprising. i thought for sure that was very troublesome weight at that height. i was going to, and in fact , i will still suggest an eating disorder to achieve your goal weight.

Originally posted by krono
Fellow beyonders! I need your help on losing weight, a lot of weight.

I am currently sitting at 210 lbs! and I'm exactly 6'0ft
My goal is to reach my original weight of 140 which was 3 years ago since I got a desk job.

After so much reading I've decided to do somethings that will help.

*Since October 2012, I have given up a lot of bad habits like eating at fast food restaurants such as Mcdonalds/burger king.
I don't drink pop or drink alcohol anymore, only water or hot tea. I don't eat very late also, by 9 PM nothing goes to my mouth except water or eat.
No more chips or chocolate either and other unhealthy snacks.

*I've been eating a lot more fish, especially steamed tilapia and I heard that fish fat and fish oil is very good for losing weight. 1 pound of fish fat is equivalent to 1 pound of fat lost? I only eat maximum 2 bowls of rice/noodles/pasta, if you don't know what I mean, it's those little bowls you see at Chinese restaurants.

I've been doing some walking and some running 30-45 minutes, not yet ready to commit $ on the gym but if I have to, I will.
I need help on choosing what to eat and when I should eat and how much to eat.
Recommendations and also tips n tricks would be appreciated

I fear it's not enough but it's a good start.

I want to add some fruits that would help me lose weight and also cooked veggies to add in the meals.

Should I go buy supplements to help me lose weight? Like Fish oil capsules or fat burners like

http://www.popeyescanada.com/inf_precision_6pack_men.php

Please help me lose my beer belly, love handles and the dreaded man boobs!

rob the knob
11-10-2012, 04:36 PM
i meant to include that 19 bmi is at bottom of healthy range. that is why it is sup rising.

Disoblige
11-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Am I the only one who thinks that 140 is particularily low for being 6' tall?
Dude! 140 is low for someone who's 5'6.

Maybe I'm just delusional and looking for a magic pill that help me get lean again :(

Yes you are.
Count your calories if you have to.
If you're doing it strictly on diet, then that is pretty much the only way. Don't eat too much carbs.

krono
11-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
-snip.

I like the idea of eating till your not hungry, not eat till I'm full. And I've always forced myself to finish everything in my plate.

I'm also avoiding snacks all together, but the cravings I'm having is driving me nuts. I should fill myself with more water I guess just like you said and I'll add a banana. That normally fills me up.

krono
11-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
i meant to include that 19 bmi is at bottom of healthy range. that is why it is sup rising.

This is a typical weight for chinese guys such as myself.
@ 140 6'0, when I went back to hong kong I was considered chubby, I was a meaty person, not typical twig shape like hongers

A buddy of mine weighs 125lbs and he's 5'8 also chinese
Another dude 110lbs and he's 5'6

I think Asian physique is completely different from Caucasian or black and etc.

*edit* sorry mods I forgot to include in 1 post

badatusrnames
11-10-2012, 04:58 PM

I'm also avoiding snacks all together, but the cravings I'm having is driving me nuts. I should fill myself with more water I guess just like you said and I'll add a banana. That normally fills me up.

I'd try black tea or even coffee (use skim milk and artificial sweetener), it seems to suppress appetite better than water. And I find having something with more flavour than plain water seems to help the psychological cravings that come with wanting to have something to snack on.

Disoblige
11-10-2012, 04:59 PM
On average, you are 20 lb too light, even for an Asian.
I repeat, 6 feet at 140 lb is NOT normal, for any person. Please don't strive to be that weight. That's horrible.

Average Chinese Male Height 5'8"; Weight 145 Pounds; Chest
35"; Waist 31"; Low Hip 36"

Average U.S. Male Height 5'9"; Weight 191 Pounds; Chest 41;
Waist 37; Low Hip 41"

GQBalla
11-10-2012, 05:49 PM
I also believe 140 is too light for someone at 6 feet.

Im 5"7 china man
42 inch chest
170 pounds

I was 130 pounds back in high school same weight and i had a chop stick like body.

Trust me i love white rice and noodles. I find eating them in the mornings or weekends keeps me sane.

What ive been doing for about a two years now is just not eating carbs after 5 pm. Sure its no Keto diet but its working for me.

CanmoreOrLess
11-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Another thing, drop the dead carbs. Basically the motto "If it's white, it ain't right" works here. Includes that crap white rice, all breads unless something like Mana Bread which is a live bread. Brown rice is OK, remember your stomach is only the size of your fist, so watch and only eat this amount.

I have one free day a week, otherwise you will mentally be ground down by the experience. No junk food unless it is on your free day. No beer unless on free day and in moderation. Only hard liquor or red wine in moderation on your non free day. Diet soda is fine if you need a soda, again in moderation.

Cardio (pushing the cart) for 30-40 minutes 3x week and kettle bells 3x a week. Cardio I watch TV, listen to podcasts, music or audiobooks.

98YYsJL9t40

Hallowed_point
11-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I personally would say aim for ~ 170-180 lbs at your height.

I'm 6"1 (Caucasian) and in high school I was about ~150 lbs..I looked pathetic.

Although maybe your right about the difference between physiques..I've always wondered how some grown Asian men can fit themselves into those skinny jeans :nut: I've noticed that non-Asians tend to have a bigger lower body which may explain why 140 lbs at 6"1 for an Asian male wouldn't look too skinny.

bigbadboss101
11-11-2012, 12:38 PM
IMO at 6' I would say 160-190 is ok for a Chinese guy. If you don't go to the gym then may be do some body weight exercises. Or do P90x, insanity to cut fat, get toned etc . Cutting out the empty calories will help a lot.

Your weight is not far off without seeing picture. Strong and sturdy beats skinny any day.

jsn
11-11-2012, 06:00 PM

@ 140 6'0, when I went back to hong kong I was considered chubby, I was a meaty person, not typical twig shape like hongers

Man, you have some skinny ass asian friends. 125 and 110 is extremely extremely light for a male. Unless you're looking to fit in those skin tight skinny jeans, I wouldn't shoot for 140 at 6ft. I'm around 5'7 to 5'8 and I weigh 140lbs. Personally, I wouldn't want to be any lighter than that.

Try cutting out the carbs. I replaced rice/pasta completely with quinoa. Only time I eat rice or pasta is on cheat nights when I'm out for dinner. I'm asian, and I didn't have any troubles replacing the rice.

You said you run/walk 30-45 mins. How many times a week? If you don't want to pay for a gym membership, do p90x or insanity for free at home. I've finnished p90x and am going to start a third cycle soon and I've lost about 15 lbs with it so far.

r3ccOs
11-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Man, you have some skinny ass asian friends. 125 and 110 is extremely extremely light for a male. Unless you're looking to fit in those skin tight skinny jeans, I wouldn't shoot for 140 at 6ft. I'm around 5'7 to 5'8 and I weigh 140lbs. Personally, I wouldn't want to be any lighter than that.

Try cutting out the carbs. I replaced rice/pasta completely with quinoa. Only time I eat rice or pasta is on cheat nights when I'm out for dinner. I'm asian, and I didn't have any troubles replacing the rice.

You said you run/walk 30-45 mins. How many times a week? If you don't want to pay for a gym membership, do p90x or insanity for free at home. I've finnished p90x and am going to start a third cycle soon and I've lost about 15 lbs with it so far. [/B][/QUOTE]

lol intresting standards

last I was in the HK I was 6' 195 @ 9% bodyfat and I'm pretty sure that people there didn't think I was that fat

I'm 100% chinese, and I do not belive there is a "type"... though my parents had thought so, but I grew up the same rate size and size as I needed to, to play hockey and football with my buds

its all about the diet and lifestyle...

what I do find is funny... is that the old gen chinese people concider a "strong guy" to be one who does carry the excess fat

6' 140? maybe if he wants to be the bitch in his same sex relationship... not being judgemental, just saying...

ay fitness
11-24-2012, 03:05 PM
** Find out how many calories you need

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) / BMR [kcal]

Body Weight [lb] x 15 + (moderate activity [mins/day] x 3.5)

Since you wish to lose weight, your target = BMR - 500 kcal

For instance, you weigh 140 lb and you perform 20 mins of moderate activity every day. BMR of this example = (140 x 15) + (20 x 3.5) = 2100 + 70 = 2170 kcal. BMR minus 500kcal; it would be 2170 - 500 = 1670 kcal. Therefore 1670 kcal is the target in this example to losing 1 lb per week.

ay fitness
11-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Eating 2 or 3 larger meals per day causes the body’s metabolism to stall as it’s forced to process a higher number of calories. Eat 4 to 6 smaller meals each day and limit calories to no more than 300 to 400 at each sitting. Eat sensibly and avoid heavily processed foods in favor of natural choices including plenty of raw vegetables. Most important, never eat after 7 PM to allow complete digestion of your last meal before going to sleep
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: