PDA

View Full Version : Car Sat For 2 1/2 Days

sexualbanana
11-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I haven't driven my car since Wednesday evening, and now it's not starting.

It sits in a garage and I doubt it's been cold enough that it needs to be plugged in.

I tried to give it a boost anyways, but no dice. It gets power, but apparently it's just not turning.

Thoughts?

Kloubek
11-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Is the starter solenoid clicking at least? How do you know it have *enough* power?

Penguin_Racecar
11-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Did you measure battery voltage? Is there any clicking from the starter?

Sentry
11-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Engine's seized, gonna be about 8 grand to replace it.

sexualbanana
11-10-2012, 04:13 PM
It sounds like I'm getting a click, but maybe a belt isn't going??

FraserB
11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Do you have a known good battery you can swap in?

Graham_A_M
11-10-2012, 04:26 PM
If your getting a click, that means your solenoid is working, which is great. It wouldn't matter much anyway because the new starter motor you'll likely need will have a new one attached to it anyway. It sounds like the actual starter motor is toast. If you're perfectly sure the battery is okay, I'd get underneath and check the wiring to make sure it isn't loose or too badly corroded. I have big doubts that its the wiring though, otherwise you wouldn't hear the click. If the solenoid is getting power, then there is little reason the actual starter shouldn't be getting power also.

I'd bet that it isn't the battery though, otherwise it should have fired up when you boosted it.
so I'd say 90% chance its the starter motor. Its not hard to replace, seriously.

Starter motors dont have belts of any sort (neither have I ever seen nor heard of one that does), so Im not too sure where that comment came from.

89s1
11-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
:D

My money is on a bad battery.

Benny
11-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
so I'd say 90% chance its the starter motor. Its not hard to replace, seriously.

It's never much work to remove and replace them. But it can be a big pain in the ass to get to them depending on the location.

Sounds like a starter to me too though. Maybe try the redneck fix and hit it with a hammer a couple times. Can sometimes unstick it. It's not a permanent fix, but can get the vehicle started again.

Graham_A_M
11-10-2012, 05:03 PM
^ I was going to suggest that, but since you can hear that click, I think the solenoid is fine. (which is what that hammer trick essentially does). If you could hear the starter whirring, but it doesn't engage, then hitting the solenoid may just get it to engage. But I think its the actual motor itself. :dunno:
Tough to say without seeing it though.

If the OP can't fix it himself, I'd suggest PM'ing Errchy, Toma or Rat Fink. (etc). Lots of people on this forum can do it. Myself included.

dirtsniffer
11-10-2012, 05:32 PM
My money is on the battery.

InRich
11-10-2012, 06:32 PM
^ nah i think u need a new engine.

..*JDM Hatch*..
11-10-2012, 08:41 PM
+1 for new motor. By how the issues are posted, it sounds like this thing is right fucked. :rofl:

Rotator splint tight enough? haha

ga16i
11-10-2012, 09:20 PM

I'd bet that it isn't the battery though, otherwise it should have fired up when you boosted it.

That's what I thought too based on hearing click when boosted. Brushes may be worn and now have problems in the cold.

sexualbanana
11-10-2012, 11:08 PM
I guess I forgot to mention that it's a 06 Altima. So I really hope the engine hasn't seized like some of you are suggesting.

EK 2.0
11-10-2012, 11:11 PM
It's not the engine...they are all fucking with you Gavin....

They also don't know how you feel about seized engines...they don't know your pain of having to deal with that mess already...

I would have guess battery...but if you gave it a good boost and still nothing happened...I am going to lean towards starter...

sexualbanana
11-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
It's not the engine...they are all fucking with you Gavin....

They also don't know how you feel about seized engines...they don't know your pain of having to deal with that mess already...

I would have guess battery...but if you gave it a good boost and still nothing happened...I am going to lean towards starter...

It's been almost 10 years and the wounds still feel fresh.

Graham_A_M
11-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I guess I forgot to mention that it's a 06 Altima. So I really hope the engine hasn't seized like some of you are suggesting.
Um, its not. :nut:
Unless there isn't something you aren't telling us such as forgetting to put oil in it after an oil change, but. :dunno:

theken
11-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Call my brother and see if he has the battery charger, it's a big ass unit and it will tell you if your battery's fucked

Graham_A_M
11-11-2012, 12:26 AM
^ Any "carbon pile load down tester" can do that for you. It basically creates a massive current draw, and uses that to test the amount of power a battery is capable of discharging, in the manner of testing the battery's livelihood. You can get one for around $70 at Princess auto.
You can use it the once, and take it back afterwards for a complete refund should you decide not to keep it.

Supa Dexta
11-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Hook it back up to the boost vehicle and make sure the cables get a good clean bite on the terminals (you should be able to hear the boost vehicles engine bog down slightly) Let it sit there for 5 mins and THEN try to start the dead car..

Simply sounds like there wasnt a good connection, or enough time given to me. Its cold out, and its best to give a dead battery a few mins, especially if the boost vehicle/battery is smaller then the one needing the boost...

Either way the battery is weak and needs to be replaced most likely, but atleast my advice should get it started.

sewerrat
11-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Also make sure that your vehicle is in park, or press the clutch in if is a standard.also make sure that you havn't left anything on like your interior light, or left a charger cord in your cigarette lighter. But my bet would be the battery.

03ozwhip
11-11-2012, 03:26 PM
a long shot but another thing you could check is to make sure the serpentine belt didnt snap, unless its just a pulley belt to the alternator, in which case, check that belt.

if thats fine, im leaning towards battery/starter.

RickDaTuner
11-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Did you leave any mobile phone or iPod chargers plugged in over those two days?

Some times one good pothole on a loose battery is enough to break the plates inside and cause it short internally.

The vinegar they spray on roads can cause terminal and cable corrosion as well, if a pre existing condition existed, this would exazerbate it as well.

If none of theses things sound right, the. Your engines probably seized and will need to be replaced....

Try boosting it!

89s1
11-11-2012, 05:47 PM
The battery went bad in my buddies 06 mazda6 and it would take a boost either.

I'm almost certain its the battery.

Maybelater
11-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

Nah man, its the breaks. Sorry, it is a write off bro. RIP in peace Car.

Graham_A_M
11-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater

Yeah I've had my "breaks" go on a few cars, its costly for sure. :thumbsup:

The reason I've always said its the starter, is because the OP says everything else works from the electrical standpoint. You can always tell when a battery is very low when you first get in. Typically the interior lights will be very dim. Apparently their fine, its just not starting.
Some cars have a relay. Where as when the battery is too low, it wont even send the signal to the starter to try to crank it. The voltage has to be above a certain point (as in 9-10volts nominal) for it send the current to the starter.
Some cars have this, some dont. The fact you could here the solenoid engage tells me it wants to start normally, only it wont.

EK 2.0
11-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater

Yeah I've had my "breaks" go on a few cars, its costly for sure. :thumbsup:

The reason I've always said its the starter, is because the OP says everything else works from the electrical standpoint. You can always tell when a battery is very low when you first get in. Typically the interior lights will be very dim. Apparently their fine, its just not starting.

Ironic...you make fun of maybelater for his misuse of "breaks"...but then you can't even use the word "their" in the proper context??...

Come on...."they're" not "their"...:rolleyes:

Graham_A_M
11-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Whoops, typing up shit on the Iphone isn't always good. :thumbsdow
I didn't even notice that till now.

Mar
11-11-2012, 11:36 PM
It's easy to test the starter and see if that's the problem, give it a whack a couple of times with the end of a screwdriver, then see if the car starts. That'll work a few times but then you need to replace it. If you don't know where the starting motor is, follow the positive wire out from the battery and it'll lead right into it.

Ashers
11-12-2012, 08:38 AM
It is also possible that the battery was low and froze with the current temperatures. Check the battery to make sure it isn't frozen. Never jump start a vehicle with a frozen battery, it can explode. If it did freeze you may as well replace it as it damages the plates inside, and it was likely already on its way out prior.