PDA

View Full Version : Croatia or Budapest? - Where would you rather live?

Kobe
11-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Ended up Moving to Budapest..

View

http://i.imgur.com/bGVWZDH.jpg

msommers
11-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Tough call man but if it was me, I'd rather live by the ocean if I had the choice. Ideally I'd live in Dubrovnik but that's also the most expensive of any place between Hungary and Croatia. Split might be alright actually, definitely still lots of partying and cheaper than down south; I personally wouldn't want to live in Zagreb.

Budapest was awesome and such an interesting city. Something about there was just really enjoyable.

Have you looked at housing cost? How roughly for a nice place?

davidI
11-12-2012, 02:09 AM
I wish I could help you out with this one but I still haven't been to either and have heard great things about both.

Sounds like you're making a wicked lifestyle choice wherever you end up though! I'd love to drop in for a visit one day. :bigpimp:

davidI
11-12-2012, 02:14 AM
One more thought is what's in the surrounding area. I know you've already traveled a lot in that region, but I would still want a place where I could easily get away easily for a week.

Budapest is sort of central and removed from other countries and the coast.

Croatia gives you relatively easy access to Italy, Bosnia, and the coast.

Maybe you need to travel to Croatia again and spend a week or more in a few specific towns and see if there is place in particular that would appeal to you?

davidI
11-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Sorry for yet another post...but the idea of what you're doing gets me excited. Ever thought about the coast of Spain or Portugal? It's pretty cheap there these days...

I quite loved Granada myself. There are some amazing towns near Portugal and on the Algarve of Portugal too. Salamanca is also amazing, but it's further from the coast. Great college town though...

Kobe
11-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Tough call man but if it was me, I'd rather live by the ocean if I had the choice. Ideally I'd live in Dubrovnik but that's also the most expensive of any place between Hungary and Croatia. Split might be alright actually, definitely still lots of partying and cheaper than down south; I personally wouldn't want to live in Zagreb.

Budapest was awesome and such an interesting city. Something about there was just really enjoyable.

Have you looked at housing cost? How roughly for a nice place?

I won't be living in Zagreb that's for sure, however I did look at the housing costs for Hungary and for about 300e-500e each you can find a pretty damn nice place in downtown Budapest.

I loved Dubrovnik when I was down there, but I think it will be to expensive and if I'm ever wanting to go somewhere for a weekend away it's pretty far from everything and it's expensive!

Originally posted by davidI
I wish I could help you out with this one but I still haven't been to either and have heard great things about both.

Sounds like you're making a wicked lifestyle choice wherever you end up though! I'd love to drop in for a visit one day. :bigpimp:

:thumbsup: Always welcome

One more thought is what's in the surrounding area. I know you've already traveled a lot in that region, but I would still want a place where I could easily get away easily for a week.

Budapest is sort of central and removed from other countries and the coast.

Croatia gives you relatively easy access to Italy, Bosnia, and the coast.

Maybe you need to travel to Croatia again and spend a week or more in a few specific towns and see if there is place in particular that would appeal to you?

Ya, I would really love to check out Italy and Bosnia since I never got a chance last time, but I don't think the location between both will make a difference, I might have a car out there again and if not trains/planes are cheap as well and very easy 2 get from one country to another.

On a side note, We will be doing Yacht week again in Croatia but the South route this time since the North got cancelled :( So I don't think I need to live in one of does places, but it could also be fun as hell?

http://www.theyachtweek.com/croatia/

I'd love to live in Hvar but it would be 2 crazy and I'd die from all the alcohol..

Sorry for yet another post...but the idea of what you're doing gets me excited. Ever thought about the coast of Spain or Portugal? It's pretty cheap there these days...

I quite loved Granada myself. There are some amazing towns near Portugal and on the Algarve of Portugal too. Salamanca is also amazing, but it's further from the coast. Great college town though...

I've done portugal but only Lisbon, and I've always wanted to go to Algarve it looks amazing, I'll check out Salamanca, but since I'll be there for the Summer it might be dead?

I can't live in Spain because of online poker restrictions there, so it would be useless :(

I really have been leaning towards Budapest right now, I heard poker is pretty popular there, and its just a few hour drive 2 many great cities..

bspot
11-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Your poll.... it confuses me. Budapest, Italy? :dunno:

davidI
11-12-2012, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

On a side note, We will be doing Yacht week again in Croatia but the South route this time since the North got cancelled :( So I don't think I need to live in one of does places, but it could also be fun as hell?

http://www.theyachtweek.com/croatia/

I can't live in Spain because of online poker restrictions there, so it would be useless :(

That Yacht week looks awesome. I'll have to look into that more...perhaps something I'll check out too.

Sorry...I read the poker restrictions part and then quickly forgot as my day-dreaming took over!

Do you finance all of this time away / travel through online Poker or table Poker?

Kobe
11-12-2012, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by bspot

Ahh wtf, Mods can you please change 2 Croatia, Budapest

That Yacht week looks awesome. I'll have to look into that more...perhaps something I'll check out too.

Sorry...I read the poker restrictions part and then quickly forgot as my day-dreaming took over!

Do you finance all of this time away / travel through online Poker or table Poker?

Did it last year. was a complete gong show for a week, pretty expensive but hell as fun!

Yup, haven't worked a "real" job in 4 years now..

Perceptionist
11-12-2012, 12:46 PM
After recently travelling to both, I think either would be a great place to settle in for a few months. That being said, the Dalmatian coast in Croatia seems like it really revolves around tourists in the summer season. So your experience there might be much different depending on what time of year it is.

Also, I found that part of Croatia was actually quite difficult to get to and from compared to Budapest. If you're planning on making a side trip to Italy for example, you would have to take an overnight ferry, or catch an expensive flight. Budapest on the other hand, you can catch a discount flight just about anywhere, or jump on a short train ride to many of the surrounding cities.

The women will be beautiful in both countries, but I personally thought I saw more talent in Budapest. I guess in the end you should decide whether you want to be by the sea in a smaller centre, or in the bigger city farther East. If you do head down to Croatia, I'll say Makarska is a place worth checking out... especially the cave club!

adamc
11-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Budapest.

Too lazy right now to type up a proper reply, but tomorrow I'll get to it.

GS430
11-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Croatia, but I'm biased :poosie:

Kobe
11-17-2012, 05:23 PM
I think I've made up my mind, going to try to find another buddy or two to come out with me for May/June and find a place in Budapest...

My friend also suggested Malta to me since it's full of Poker players, but I just don't see to much happening there...

This place would be dope to rent out, right downtown Budapest!

http://realestatehungary.hu/terezvaros-nagykoruton-kivul/to-rent+lakas/tegla-epitesu-lakas/budapest+6+district+eotvos+u/6543664?sid=2

msommers
11-17-2012, 06:25 PM
It better be for 2 grand a month! Still, a penthouse downtown with 4 rooms is a bargain in comparison to here haha. Have fun!

davidI
11-17-2012, 10:44 PM
I think I've made up my mind, going to try to find another buddy or two to come out with me for May/June and find a place in Budapest...

My friend also suggested Malta to me since it's full of Poker players, but I just don't see to much happening there...

This place would be dope to rent out, right downtown Budapest!

http://realestatehungary.hu/terezvaros-nagykoruton-kivul/to-rent+lakas/tegla-epitesu-lakas/budapest+6+district+eotvos+u/6543664?sid=2

That place is sick!

I think your gut is right about Malta. I have heard there are a lot of poker players there, but it's a pretty slow pace of life. There were some smoking hot women there, but I bet the percentages are better in Budapest and Croatia anyways.

Sounds like you have a sick thing going man...I'll definitely try to drop in for a beer or 12 when you're living there!

FixedGear
11-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by bspot

LOL this!

I spent some time in Budapest - awesome city, great people, killer cuisine. It would be a great place to live.

I've never been to croatia though.

Kobe
11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear

LOL this!

I spent some time in Budapest - awesome city, great people, killer cuisine. It would be a great place to live.

I've never been to croatia though.

Yup, my bad on this.. Meant to have Croatia Budapest in the poll.. Non the less my decision has been made up..

g-m
11-21-2012, 07:41 PM
oh god croatia by a landslide. Budapest has decent nightlife but its just so dirty and run down feeling and the people are less friendly. And you need a scale of 1-10 that goes to 11 to properly describe the Croatian girls... good god

Chester
11-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Hey Kobe, are you doing the red or black route for croatia? Gonna be booking that pretty quick here...

Kobe
11-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Chester
Hey Kobe, are you doing the red or black route for croatia? Gonna be booking that pretty quick here...

Not sure, We wanted to do Croatia North again, but they cancelled it :(

We are leaning for the end of July (Week 31) but not sure which route as of yet, need to see when some of our American buddies can get time off the army and then we will book. Both routes will be the same places just start at different locations..

Which one are you planning on doing? When do you plan on going?

Kobe
05-31-2013, 04:51 PM
If anyone gives a shit, I ended moving out to Budapest and got a place right downtown, this is my view overlooking the Synagogue.

cosmok
06-19-2013, 06:04 AM
If anyone gives a shit, I ended moving out to Budapest and got a place right downtown, this is my view overlooking the Synagogue.

Suggestions for things to do while there? Heading to Hungary for three weeks in July

Nitron88
06-19-2013, 10:47 AM

Fuck yeah!! I care. Good choice bro!!

Kobe
06-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by cosmok

Suggestions for things to do while there? Heading to Hungary for three weeks in July

I met out with a beyond member last week, we ended up drinking and drinking and drinking...

But I'd def go check out the baths, and do the free walking tour, check out the synongogue and the cathedral.

Oh ya, check out the Hooters, the women working there are...

:poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

davidI
06-20-2013, 04:04 AM

I met out with a beyond member last week, we ended up drinking and drinking and drinking...

But I'd def go check out the baths, and do the free walking tour, check out the synongogue and the cathedral.

Oh ya, check out the Hooters, the women working there are...

:poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

There was a bit of booze involved and definitely loads of talent both at the Hooters and walking the streets.

Good times man! :thumbsup:

liquid1010
06-20-2013, 10:17 AM
If you don't mind me asking - what are prices like down there for renting a place?

Kobe
06-21-2013, 08:24 AM
I'm paying 600EUR + 50EUR common fee a month for a 89SQM furnished 2bedroom apartment right down town, I'd like to think I got a pretty sick location..

You can find places for a lot cheaper since avg salary here is like 350EUR a month though...

I would highly recommend the city though, the people are nice, the women are incredible and it's just an unreal city overal..

BlackRadon
06-29-2013, 08:31 PM
that looks awesome! congrats:nut:

davidI
06-29-2013, 09:06 PM

I would highly recommend the city though, the people are nice, the women are incredible and it's just an unreal city overal..

+1

:thumbsup:

Street_Soldier
06-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Sweet I totally want to do something like this too. Good luck

mslbebiz
06-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Curious, what swayed you to ultimately choose Budapest over the cities you were considering in Croatia?