PDA

View Full Version : Tripple Channel Ram - replace one stick?

eblend
11-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Hey guys,

Quick question to confirm my sanity.

I bought a corsair triple channel memory kit a while ago for one of my rigs at home. Its a 12GB kit (3 x 4GB), now one of my sticks died. I could go through the RMA process but if I understand correctly, I have to pay shipping costs and it takes about a month to get a replacement, and I have to send back all 3 (so my computer will be out of commission for that period of time). The memory says CMX12GX3M3A1333C9 on it, as well as 12GB (3x4GB) on each module, so they are part of a triple channel set, but does it really matter? The ram is 1333mhz and has 9-9-9-24 timings. I looked at memex, and they sell a 4GB module with same timings, also XMS3, but as an individual stick. As far as all my computer knowledge goes, there is nothing special about this one failed stick from the triple channel set, so I could just buy the one stick from memex for $25 and be done with it, and just plug it back into my mobo and it will work perfectly fine with the other two sticks. I am correct on this right? Like I said, I am just checking my sanity here.

Here is the module I am wanting to buy:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX30153

Mibz
11-12-2012, 10:58 AM
It SHOULD work fine, yes, and for $25 there's no reason not to test it for yourself :P

googe
11-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Works fine. Even if you have an oddball one with different speed, your mobo should clock them all down to match the lowest.

revelations
11-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by googe
Works fine. Even if you have an oddball one with different speed, your mobo should clock them all down to match the lowest.

:werd:

eblend
11-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Found out that I had an option to only ship out the one chip vs all 3, so found a bubble envelope, submitter the RMA and sent it out. Cost me like $2.50 or something on stamps in a bubble envelope. Since I still have the other two sticks I can still run in dual channel mode for now. Was going to just buy it, but since shipping was that cheap and I don't need to send all 3, then might as well save myself $22 bucks, as that computer is just a secondary ESX host so it can run with 1 stick down for a while.

Now I realize I have no tracking on my item, but if they never receive my chip, I will just go out and buy another for $25 :D