PDA

View Full Version : NHL rule changes.....

88CRX
02-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Does anyone else think that these proposed rule changes are dumb?

12" goal pads (or whatever size they said). belfour was saying that bryan marchment has 8" shin pads himself. :thumbsdow

goalies cant play the puck behind the red line. straight up bs :thumbsdow

personally i think all they have to do is cut down on obstruction and keep it that way.... no calling it for a month then stop.

whats everyone else think?

QuasarCav
02-12-2004, 01:53 PM
I agree, better calling will solve most probs.

As for the 10" pads, I think that is gay

I like the idea of keeping a penalty although you have scored, makes it harder to fight a power play

max_boost
02-12-2004, 02:37 PM
If they want offense, take out the red line, that is all they have to do. Goalies not playing the puck, that's pure BS!! It's almost instinct for the goalie to go after the puck and now you say you can't? WTF?!

Hakkola
02-12-2004, 02:49 PM
RIght now it's 12" and they propese 10" that's the only rule I don't really like.

Not allowing goalies to play the puck will make it harder for teams to trap :thumbsup:

Ohh yeah, I don't like the staying on a powerplay bit, because powerplays are given to make up for a scoring chance taken away due to an infraction. When 1 goal is scored the powerplay has served it's purpose.

buh_buh
02-12-2004, 03:10 PM
that not letting the goalie playing the puck behind the red line is pretty gay, although watching 2 teams play the trap all game is even more gay! But I agree with Maxboost, just eliminate the 2 line pass and you got more offense!

hjr
02-12-2004, 04:04 PM
they want to speed up the game, get more goals scored, get everyone more excited. this being the purpose, i can understand the rule about limiting the pads. more scoring is good i think. the other rules are way out there though. killing the Red line would help a lot i believe.

88CRX
02-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by hjr
they want to speed up the game, get more goals scored, get everyone more excited. this being the purpose, i can understand the rule about limiting the pads. more scoring is good i think. the other rules are way out there though. killing the Red line would help a lot i believe.

more goals does not equal better hockey tho.

SI-vic
02-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Take out the red line and widen the rink by a few inches on each side.
thats going to create more offensive and the neutral zone trap will be taken away.
More skill will be involved with ALL players with wider rinks and no red line, also a faster pace to the game.

Sure this means a few seats will be lost due to wider rinks but, at least with a faster pace and more action, this means more exciting games and more fans!

hjr
02-12-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

more goals does not equal better hockey tho. Not nessisarily, but a bad game with a few goals is a HELL of a lot better than a bad game thats a blank (0-0)

core_upt
02-12-2004, 05:53 PM
I think if goalies should be able to play the puck, but if they do, they're fair game for a body check. This is the way it used to be and not a lot of goalies would come out. Let them keep their 12" pads, players are bigger, shots are harder, they need the pads plus bigger pads slow them down. The tag-up offside is a good rule, again going back to the way it was with delayed offside - this will allow more offensive attacks and promote neutral zone action and more intense forechecking especially if combined with the elimination of the cener line. My $0.02

quiksilver
02-12-2004, 08:37 PM
i think the game is fine the way it is i know there isn't many goals being scored but look at the goals that are being scored, most of them are highlight reel goals. The players are having to have precise shots and nicer moves to score. Get rid of one ref and lose the point for a tie and make the teams that are happy with 1 in a tie. Make them work for 2 or they get none.

davidI
02-12-2004, 08:48 PM
I think the goalies not being able to play the puck is retarded for a few reasons. First of all, goalies are just going to start coming out of their nets and playing the puck infront of the goal line which will probably make for some mishandled pucks and disgusting goals or open netters. If the goalies don't get to the puck then you will have defencemen going full tilt into the corners to pick up the puck and I imagine there will be some nasty hits / injuries because of this. As far as the pads go, I agree that they should stick with the 12" pads. I don't understand why they are so insistent on changing the game. I don't see any other leagues proposing as many changes as the NHL does every year - Anyone who saw the oilers/atlanta game will agree that it was a very entertaining game!

91_Integz
02-12-2004, 09:22 PM
I think they should just make the nets bigger

hjr
02-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by quiksilver
i think the game is fine the way it is i know there isn't many goals being scored but look at the goals that are being scored, most of them are highlight reel goals. The players are having to have precise shots and nicer moves to score. Get rid of one ref and lose the point for a tie and make the teams that are happy with 1 in a tie. Make them work for 2 or they get none. YOU ARE JOKING. When was the last time you saw ANYBODY go coast to coast? only in historic footage or howe and alike. It doesnt happen anymore. now those were nice goals. these days it seem the majority of goals come off the 2nd or 3rd rebound, or through a crowd. The average goal isnt any nicer dog. Most goals make the highligh real because they are so few and far between that that is the highlight, pretty or not.

quiksilver
02-12-2004, 10:39 PM
i dont want to be mean but have you ever played hockey and seeing goals like datsuk on turco, hejduk on joseph, elias on denis. sorry as a hockey player of 17 years i like the close games i am not a fan of the blow outs i like em close they are more exciding
players are having to be more creative to score goals. like recent goalies have gotten better so they can become a bigger impact in the game. its now the players turn.

88CRX
02-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by quiksilver
i dont want to be mean but have you ever played hockey and seeing goals like datsuk on turco, hejduk on joseph, elias on denis. sorry as a hockey player of 17 years i like the close games i am not a fan of the blow outs i like em close they are more exciding
players are having to be more creative to score goals. like recent goalies have gotten better so they can become a bigger impact in the game. its now the players turn.

:werd: i'm with him.... hockey is fine.

all they have to work on is hooking, clutching, obtruction, etc.

SI-vic
02-13-2004, 12:37 AM
international hockey.
thats the way the NHL should be... i said it before and I'll say it again, wider rinks and no red line.

widen the net by about 1 inch per side.... and the game is set.

Edm vs. Atl game last nite was insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane!
hahahaha

T5_X
02-13-2004, 01:50 AM
I agree with what Kirk Mclean said in an interview... goalies are just better today.

The goalie coming out to play the puck is the way the game is played today, its a strong point for many goalies out there and puts a better angle on the game as the role of the goalie is becoming more agressive and active with the team. This rule is retarded.

Widening the rink and getting rid of the blue line? Will it really turn into a more entertaining game? That is the way the europeans play and most of thier games are defensive and IMO boring, more bump and grind hockey that just drones on.

accordboi_02
02-13-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by core_upt
I think if goalies should be able to play the puck, but if they do, they're fair game for a body check.

:werd:

I seriously hate watching teams like NJ play, where the opposition is FORCED to dump the puck into NJ's zone, them Brodeur just goes out and plays the puck back out.

If he wants to go out and play the puck, he should be just another player on the ice, and should have to watch out for forecheckers... I don't see what's wrong with that.

If a goalie leaves the crease, he is technically a 6th man, and should be treated as much. It would be interesting to see how many goalies go out to play a puck when they know that they can be hit just like any other player... Enough of this "protect the goalie" shit... if they want to be safe and protected, stay in the fucking crease.

hyperwhite
02-22-2004, 08:42 PM
the rules they've proposed wont do much. they need to lose the redline first. and i'm not really a fan of making pads 10", but they can make the catchers smaller. there is no need for them to be so big.

PGTze
02-22-2004, 10:43 PM
The rule change i really want to see is get rid of the gay instagator rule. All it does is get star players hurt, and the game all closed down. If the tough guys beat the shit outta anyone who touched their star player, i gaurantee goals and excitment would go up. Best example is Gretzky and Semenko.

hockeybronx
02-23-2004, 01:44 AM
One change that I love is the tag up offsides. Nothing is worse than blowing the whistle and stopping the play because of the stupid forced offside.

Gondi Stylez
02-23-2004, 12:18 PM
The only rule that I think will help the NHL would be to take out the red line! That will increase scoring chances and make for a more entertaining game, not only for fans but for players!

The size of goalie pads is also a BS rule, maybe minor modifications for goalies like Garth Snow and Trevor Kidd. Also not letting the goalie play the puck is BS! I remember when I was playing hockey I was always palyin the puck, and these NHLers are so used to it I think it will destroy the game! Although, golaies like Giguare should not get extra attention just ciase they cant play the puck well and then gain a call cause of their own abilities! I think goalies should be fair game! The good puck handlers will adapt and the shitty ones will just stay in the net! Even when I played goalie, I didnt mind being fair game, cuz its adds to that "fight" even for the goalies! Look at all the awsome fights weve had in the past week or so cuz of the golaies!! Cloutier and Coklin to name a few!!

hyperwhite
02-24-2004, 01:03 PM
i agree, the instagator has got to go. and if the goalies want to play the puck the should be fair game. maybe give them another extra crease thats a little bigger and it goes behind the net. if they step out of it it hunting season. And tag up off sides works very well in the minors, i don't know why the nhl ever changed the rule.

method
03-02-2004, 04:04 AM
they want to have the game to appeal to more idiotic american fans that are used to watching basketball and shit.

I say fuck them, dont fuck up our sport because you all have ADHD.

Marsh
03-23-2004, 11:56 PM
SO so lazy didn't read all the posts, hope nobody already said this if they did sorry! Their supposedly proposing to cut down the size of space b/w the goaline and the boards(from 13 feet to 10)? i heard it on tsn not sure what their doing with that now though

colinderksen
04-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Get rid of the red-line, put touch up offsides back in,

Black Gts
04-05-2004, 10:46 PM
this may sound stupid but i was thinking... instead of taking out the red line, take out the blue lines. making two zones loke a b-ball court. then all the kariya's could cherry pick a little more and the breakaway pass isnt that rare. itll never pass but it would be kool:thumbsup: