PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada Biz Class to Honolulu

KAVIE
11-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Has anyone flown Air Canada biz class Calgary to Honolulu (layover in Vancouver)? It appears that the flight is one of the old planes that don’t even have personal TV’s in the seats, can anyone confirm? Not sure how AC can charge a full biz class fare for a non biz class cabin.
Alternatively I could fly Calgary direct to Maui assuming there are flights between the islands (Maui to Honolulu) any thoughts?
Thx

Mitsu3000gt
11-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I don't know the answer to your first question but there are flights almost hourly from every island to every other island for between $150-200, or at least they have been every time I've been there. The early morning inter-island flights get booked up the fastest.

shakalaka
11-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Why don't you call Air Canada and ask?

dannie
11-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Go to www.seatguru.com and type in the flight details. It will give you the specs of the plane that they "should" be using for that flight

buh_buh
11-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I've flown to Maui first class and they had individual tvs and the pod seats that recline flat.

schocker
11-12-2012, 03:21 PM
My mom and sister were there last month and had the pods :dunno:

CD007
11-12-2012, 03:22 PM
I flew cheap seats there a few weeks ago.

Going there we had individual TVs and coming back we didn't.

roopi
11-12-2012, 03:29 PM
When you book the flight it tells you te plane. Click on the link and it will show you the plane details.

clem24
11-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Last time I flew they were 763s (i.e. 767-300):

http://www.aircanada.com/en/about/fleet/b767-300erxm.html

According to that page, there are 3 planes out of 30 not outfitted with the new interiors and these planes do include the 2 Hawaii routes. So my guess would be luck of the draw and you won't know until you get the seat selection page come up (which I think is AFTER you pay for a ticket?).

Bluebenz
11-24-2012, 08:09 PM
as previously mentioned, 3 of there 767-300's have the older interiors (tv's up top) 2 of them appear to be permanently stationed on the YVR-HNL route meaning you'll most likely be stuck with one.

ExtraSlow
11-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Go to www.seatguru.com and type in the flight details. It will give you the specs of the plane that they "should" be using for that flight
I use seatguru on every flight I take.

20incheyes
11-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Flights to Hawaii from Calgary and Honolulu can be one of the old amigo planes with old style interior or the newers pods. I flew in March with pods on the way there:
http://behindthecockpit.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/25/

My trip report from the flight linked. I couldn't get pods on the way back so I flew United 777 in BusinessFirst which was a nice seat too for the 7.5 hour flight.

But still the service was blah compared to my recent flight on the Singapore A380 in suites where we drank 3 bottles of Dom and 3 bottles of Krug Grand Cuvee :) Flying first class domestic ain't nothing fancy unless you get the good lie flat seats.

Maxx Mazda
11-25-2012, 10:50 AM
AC uses three older 763's on the "cheap" routes for the winter. (Fin numbers 687, 689, 690 if you're interested.) They are not fitted with the XM interiors.

clem24
11-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by 20incheyes
Flights to Hawaii from Calgary and Honolulu can be one of the old amigo planes with old style interior or the newers pods. I flew in March with pods on the way there:
http://behindthecockpit.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/25/

My trip report from the flight linked. I couldn't get pods on the way back so I flew United 777 in BusinessFirst which was a nice seat too for the 7.5 hour flight.

But still the service was blah compared to my recent flight on the Singapore A380 in suites where we drank 3 bottles of Dom and 3 bottles of Krug Grand Cuvee :) Flying first class domestic ain't nothing fancy unless you get the good lie flat seats.

Cool blog. True Beyond baller! :thumbsup:

KAVIE
11-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Maxx, when booking your flight is it possible to know the fin number of the plane being used? I am assuming the answer is no, but appreciate the info anyways....

20incheyes, You stayed the Fairmont, any feedback Fairmont vs Four Seasons (I believe the properties are next store to one another)

Thx all

Xtrema
11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Speaking of Honolulu, flying out this weekend. Any recommendation on food or any off the beaten path, non-toruisty stuff to check out?

Maxx Mazda
11-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by KAVIE
Maxx, when booking your flight is it possible to know the fin number of the plane being used? I am assuming the answer is no, but appreciate the info anyways....

20incheyes, You stayed the Fairmont, any feedback Fairmont vs Four Seasons (I believe the properties are next store to one another)

Thx all

No. Aircraft tail swaps happen all the time, so unless you have someone "on the inside" there's no way to tell, espesially at the time of booking.

taemo
11-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Speaking of Honolulu, flying out this weekend. Any recommendation on food or any off the beaten path, non-toruisty stuff to check out?

here's a list I made for a friend

Oct/Nov is a good time in Oahu, not too busy and not too hot. also the waves in north shore will start to get stronger so you will be able to capture some surfers.

Manoa Falls hike
Diamond Head morning sunrise hike, bring water
Polynesia Cultural Center - pretty good, educational and fun.
Byodo Temple - buddhist temple
Nuuanu Pali Lookout - after being here, you'll understand why this side of the island is called Windward, you also get a fantastic view of the city Kaneohe
Kualoa ranch - atv, horseback riding, bus tour to famous movie spots.
Honolulu Zoo - Calgary is better IMO but not bad to spend 2-3 hours
Honolulu Aquarium - haven't been here yet but it's south of Waikiki close to the Zoo
Matsumoto Shave in Hale'iwa - worth the drive up in North Shore just for their shave ice
Laniakea Beach - high chance to see green turtles sun bathing here on the afternoon, be careful driving along this spot, lots of people crossing/braking
Lanikai Beach - beautiful beach and good sunrise spot
Mount Tantalus - havent been here yet but good road drive, walk, bike and heard it is a good spot for sunrise shots
Sealife park Hawaii - swim with dolphins and sea lion ocean park, fairly expensive but they also have a dolphin show
Waimea Bay - good beach spot, across the road is the Waimea Valley garden where there's a waterfall where you can swim but it's cold.
Sunset Beach - cool spot to see the sunset, waimea bay is good too.
Sharks Cove - snorkleing spot but really rocky place, need shoes
Turtle Bay Resort - they have a nice public beach with decent snorkeling, you can also walk around the resort for free
Hanauma Bay - probably best spot for snorkeling in Oahu, go early to avoid the crowd and chance to see turtles in the morning
Kahuku shrimp trucks - lots of shrimp trucks in Kahuku but our favorite is Fumi's and Giovanni's
Iolani palace - interesting history of the Hawaii monarchy
Honolulu Chinatown - a little small but they have good dim sum, there's a really good avocado smoothie at the plaza
Ala Moana Center - only decent mall in Oahu, it's huge though and lots of stores.
don't bother with the outlet mall, it sucks.

if you want an interesting hike, do Stairway to Heaven but you have get to the steps before 4am, gets really windy and cold up top.

btw Xtrema, if you are going to Haleiwa, can you please please buy me a 50OZ coconut peanut butter from North Shore Goodies? :D
and a 10OZ chocolate coconut PB
http://www.northshoregoodies.net/Products-Shop-.html
will pay you 40

best PB we've ever had, shipping to Calgary is $51 alone
:banghead:

JLau
11-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Going to Honolulu and Maui during Dec, anyone have a list of attractions and restaurants worth visiting?

taemo
11-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Maui..

Mama's Fish House in Paia
http://coconutsfishcafe.com/ in Kihei
Koiso sushi in Kihei
Ono Gelato in Lahaina and Kijei

others that I read about but didnt get to try
Pineapple Grill - 200 Kapalua Drive Kapalua, Maui
Mala and their sisters restaurant, Honu Grill
Lahania Grill - 127 Lahainaluna Road Lahaina
The Plantation House - 2000 Plantation Club Drive Lahaina
The Sea House - 5900 Lower Honoapiilani Road Lahaina
Paia Fish Market - 100 Baldwin Avenue Paia
Jawz Tacos - 1279 South Kihei Road Kihei

things to do in Maui
Road to Hana
Pipiwi Trail then Waimoku Falls
Kaihalulu Red Sand Beach
Waianapanapa Black Sand Beach

Sunrise at Mt Haleakala

any of the beaches on the west side of Maui

yellowsnow
11-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Road to Hana is always nice. Lots of cool waterfalls on the drive you can hike, multi-pool waterfalls you can swim in... it's a long drive, but worth it imo. If you're prone to car sickness, I wouldn't go though, lots of winding roads!

npham
11-26-2012, 02:31 PM
-Star Noodle is tasty and cheap. Their head/executive chef is on Top Chef right now.
-Sushi place at the Ritz-Carlton is good, their apple pie desert is crazy fucking good.
-Private sea kayaking tour and snorkeling with turtles, Maui Paddle Sports. Don't even bother looking around, these guys rock.

I'm sure there are many more, but I'll update my post as I think of more stuff to do.

clem24
11-26-2012, 03:18 PM
On the topic of Shrimp Trucks, Fumi's and Giovani's uses frozen shrimp. Seriously what's the point? Go to Romy's. Their own shrimp farm is right behind the truck. Get the Prawn's, which are like mini lobsters and are fished daily. Check out these bad boys (not my shot but this is what they look like):

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1216/561197950_4d86aaf143_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/govisithawaii/561197950/)
Romys Giant Prawns (http://www.flickr.com/photos/govisithawaii/561197950/) by Go Visit Hawaii (http://www.flickr.com/people/govisithawaii/), on Flickr

If you like Thai food, go to Opal Thai in Hale'iwa.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/opal-thai-food-haleiwa

Seriously some of the best Thai food I've ever had... And it comes from a freakin' food truck!!

Skip Matumoto's shave ice. I don't know why people like it. The line ups are STUPID and frankly, Aoki's next door tastes better too.

While you're in Hale'iwa, go to Kua Aina Sandwich for some kick ass burgers. So gooooooodd!!!! (I believe they have branches in Japan)l

And don't miss the drive on the H3.

In Honolulu, DO NOT MISS Alan Wong's Restaurant. It's fucking expensive but your senses will owe it's life to you:

http://www.alanwongs.com/node/176

I would seriously plan a vacation just to go eat here.

taemo
11-26-2012, 03:53 PM
^ everyone's taste is different, wasnt impressed with Romy's and Aoki's

but damn those jumbo prawns looks good, too bad we decided not to hit hawaii again until 2014

JLau
11-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations... We are staying at Trump and RizCarlton, i hope those places are somewhat close to our hotel lol

I heard a lot of good things about the shrimp trucks, will def try it out.

redblack
11-26-2012, 11:41 PM
try the "hot" shrimp place at giovanni's... your butthole will love you the next day

20incheyes
11-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Cool blog. True Beyond baller! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I'm more of a Beyond "points" baller. 7 nights and roundtrip biz class cost me some AMEX points and around $1000 for everything :)

20incheyes
11-27-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by KAVIE

Thx all

There is a way you can find the fin # before the flight. I forgot the details but I just lived through this when I flew on Uniteds 787 dreamliner. Our group chartered it and even though there was some rumour we would fly on the 787 the organizers wanted to surprise us.

So I'm not exactly sure how it works but every flight has to file details about it 24-48 hours before departure with the FAA. I was with a bunch of aviation geeks on this trip so the surprise didn't really materialize since we found out about it ahead of time.

As for the Fairmont it's a very nice hotel but keep in mind we used 2 free nights bc both of us are Fairmont Platinums and the 3rd night we paid friends and family rate which was $379. I also used a suite upgrade thanks to Plat status and ended up with a Deluxe Ocean Views suite so we def. had value. I can't see myself paying regular price, I'd rather head to the maldives or an aman resort.

The Four Seasons is next door but seperated by some 4 million dollar villas. The four seasons shares it's beach with the enormous Grand Wailea so there is more people there. Fairmont is nice since it's at the end of the Wailea beach strip so a bit more mellow which I prefer.

The Four Seasons on the big island is probably the best hotel in Hawaii. This is coming from friends who have stayed at both Maui and Big Island Four Seasons.

But at the end of the day these are serious #FirstWorldProblems

The links on my old blog are boggy so in case you didn't find the Kea Lani reviews it's here:
http://behindthecockpit.wordpress.com/2012/04/12/hotel-report-fairmont-kea-lani-maui-hawaii/

Do check out the Grand Hyatt Kauai also, the food sucked there (except Tidepools) but the rest of the experience was awesome. St Regis Princeville is another standout in my books too

Xtrema
12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by redblack
try the "hot" shrimp place at giovanni's... your butthole will love you the next day

I took the heat but garlic shrimp is definitely better. Either the seasoning or they decided to use less fresh shrimps in the spicy version. Just doesn't taste as good.

Vans world cup is going on right now. Traffic on 83 is a mess.

H3 buzzing thru Wilson Tunnel is awesome with top down. Wish I have a Mustang and not a C70.

taemo
12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
^nice! taking pics of the Vans tour?
that's something I want to see next time im there

clem24
12-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Wish I have a Mustang and not a C70.

You poor, poor SOB... :guns:

Xtrema
12-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by taemo
^nice! taking pics of the Vans tour?
that's something I want to see next time im there

No where to park. Too busy in the area. But I did flew over the event twice in an ultalight hang glider.

http://paradiseairhawaii.com/

Good folks running that joint.

Originally posted by taemo

btw Xtrema, if you are going to Haleiwa, can you please please buy me a 50OZ coconut peanut butter from North Shore Goodies? :D
and a 10OZ chocolate coconut PB
http://www.northshoregoodies.net/Products-Shop-.html
will pay you 40

best PB we've ever had, shipping to Calgary is $51 alone
:banghead:

Got it. GPS got a bit off track, took me a bit to find it.