PDA

View Full Version : Fort Mac??

weezy00
11-12-2012, 06:52 PM
OK I got a dilemma here.

I work in the Energy / Oil & Gas industry. I used to work in Ft. Mac when I graduated out of post secondary. I lived there for a few years and actually bought a place there.

I ended up getting married and moved back down to Edmonton where I found a job.

Now fast forward a few years and I get offered a job back in Ft. Mac. This time around I get offered a few bonuses that total 6 figures if I stay for 5 years!

Now I am very tempted to go back up, but my base wage is basically only 10K more, but I get in total about 30k more a year in Ft. Mac "allowances" outside of my bonuses.

At my current employer I basically have reached the top in my position and have only one move higher to go. But that position is held by one person, and I am sure other people who work with me will want that position, once he retires...

I am just looking for some other opinions on whether you guys would make the move for $20-30K more a year plus additional bonuses that total up over 6 figures for 5 years? There is room for progression within the company also.

I would be paying for rent out of my pocket, which would be ~$800/month, so I would have to factor that into my expenses. Basically I would be making the same base wage if you factor the expenses in, but would be making big bonuses throughout the 5 years I am there.

I would commute if I were to take the job, and my son and wife would live in Edmonton. I would basically be working 5 on 5 off.

bob9979
11-12-2012, 07:00 PM
if i were you Iwould take the move, cuz you have room to progress, that's simple reason. working 5 on 5 off sounds good to me.
:D
just my little thought

bigbadboss101
11-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Are there other opportunities in town with other companies? What does your wife think? 5 and 5 is not bad. I have quite a few married colleagues who work in various schedules and have been for a few years. As long as the family is happy and it doesn't hinder things with your wife and son it can be a good idea.

chibwack
11-12-2012, 07:50 PM
You can rent for 800 up there? Personally it'd take a lot more than 100k to live up there, but that's just me. I don't know what your field is, but there's lots of ways to break 6 figures within five years if you work in oil...

-=MJ=-
11-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Last Ft. Mac offer I had was 30% uplift, 40% if you have a family, 10 on, 10 off, fly in/out out of Calgary or Edmonton.

Depends on your situation but I'd ask for more. What is your background or post secondary in?

My_name_is_Rob
11-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by chibwack
You can rent for 800 up there? Personally it'd take a lot more than 100k to live up there, but that's just me. I don't know what your field is, but there's lots of ways to break 6 figures within five years if you work in oil...

^this!

Have you done any specific checking into rental costs up there? If your living in town, I would budget a little bit more per month for rent. Unless your content to share a trailer with 4 other guys.

weezy00
11-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Are there other opportunities in town with other companies? What does your wife think? 5 and 5 is not bad. I have quite a few married colleagues who work in various schedules and have been for a few years. As long as the family is happy and it doesn't hinder things with your wife and son it can be a good idea.

She is OK with the idea. If she doesn't like it, we will either move back into our old place up there (Currently rented out).

In town there is no postings currently...

chibwack

I make way more than 100K currently, I am saying on top of my wage I get bonuses in the 6 figures if I move to Ft. Mac. Also I could rent a room from a few friends for $800 who still live up there. When I was living there I rented to only one other roommate for that price also... Kijiji is showing the same thing.

MJ I would be getting a ~25% uplift without bonuses. I may explore my options with FIFO jobs.