PDA

View Full Version : Getting into the automotive field

btimbit
11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Never thought I'd come on Beyond for career advice, but there's quite a few successful people on here so somebody's doing something right.

I'm looking for a career change, I love what I do currently but don't think I want to do it forever. I love cars, but other than that I don't know where to go next.

I've been cruising job ads for days and want to learn more before I start applying. Dealerships a bad way to go? What else would you guys recommend?

I'm not looking to jump around jobs, I have a solid job history and I'd prefer to get my foot in the door somewhere and start a career.

I know it's a pretty broad question/thread but just looking for insight, personal experiences, any info at all to help me before I start making moves.

Thanks guys

trieuth
11-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Enterprise rent a car, see if you can get on their management trainee program.

TomcoPDR
11-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Are you looking into the "getting your hands dirty" in the automotive sector... or suit and tie?

AE92_TreunoSC
11-12-2012, 09:04 PM
To get your foot in a dealership is a huge long pain in the ass.

You gotta start out as a lot attendant, then lube bay, then express.

After that you beg them to sign an apprenticeship for you.

Then you're a 1st year, which is just as bad lol. You work your way up to journeyman doing oil changes and tires for 3 years.

Then you're a journeyman mechanic who hates cars and works cut throat flat rate.

I always tell young guys, start at an independent. Not a tire shop, not a dealership, not a superstore. You learn far more, you get through the apprenticeship as it was intended. And in the end you are worth more.

I did independent for 5 years and now I'm making good coin flat rate at a dealership. I wouldn't do it any other way.

90_Shelby
11-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Go back to school, get a tolerable good paying job and have your automotive interest as your hobby.

EM1FTW
11-12-2012, 09:06 PM
If you are looking to turn wrenches, going to an independent shop is for sure the best way to start!

btimbit
11-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Are you looking into the "getting your hands dirty" in the automotive sector... or suit and tie?

Really both interest me. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, I'm out toolin' around on mine or friends cars almost every night. I've done enough reading to know that if I wanted to go that route, dealership isn't the way to go.(Edit: as people have quickly already pointed out)
What would be the best way to get an apprenticeship going?

On the other end of the scale I enjoy direct interaction with customers. The thing making me skeptical about sales is the scumbag car salesman image, horror stories about awful hours (which I'm used to so meh) and how tough it is to succeed. I'm not looking to make a six figure salary (right away at least:poosie: ), I honestly have fairly low expectations, so I don't know how much those horror stories scare me, but it's just enough to make me stop from jumping into it right away and seeing for myself.

I know people are just going to say find out what I want to do so I can ask more specific questions, but that's why I started this thread, to see what people have to say about industry, offer their experiences, so I can decide where I should go from here. Obviously I could just jump at a few ads and try things out for myself, but I want a bit more info before I do that

ddduke
11-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
Go back to school, get a tolerable good paying job and have your automotive interest as your hobby.

I'm not in the auto industry but this sounds ignorant as fuck, it's also poor advice. Many people think that office work isn't tolerable or school long term isn't tolerable. School doesn't always yield the best money either and most of the wealthiest people on this site didn't go to school to get there but rather worked hard in their industry.

btimbit
11-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

Sound like my ex girlfriend :poosie:

Issue I have with going back to school right away is I don't know what I'd want to go for yet, which is another reason this thread exists. I also don't want a 'tolerable' job. I want a job ill enjoy. I have a 'tolerable' job right now, and it's not quite cutting it.

Rat Fink
11-13-2012, 07:56 AM

Abeo
11-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by ddduke
I'm not in the auto industry but this sounds ignorant as fuck, it's also poor advice

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I worked in a collision/mechanical shop for 5 years, and EVERYONE I worked with told me to keep going to school and not become an apprentice. Essentially, they said "if you can do that, why would you do this?"

Mechanics can make good money, but they hit a ceiling eventually, and its a hard life. I didn't know of a mechanic over 45 that didn't have back problems.

I'm not knocking the trades... but I say that its a good idea to explore your options and keeping what you love as a hobby. It has worked out great for me.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Perhaps you would like to be a service advisor, no real education needed but some automotive knowledge, good pay, but long hour and a lot of stress you have to deal with.

civic_stylez
11-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Perhaps you would like to be a service advisor, no real education needed but some automotive knowledge, good pay, but long hour and a lot of stress you have to deal with.

THIS.

A SA can make really good money but you will have to deal with alot of unhappy people when it comes to their vehcile. I have been a service advisor at many dealerships and its a good job and you become like a family with the techs and the dealership staff. I enjoyed the jobs alot and if you work hard you can work your way up. Most people believe that every single part of their car is under warranty so you will deal with the " isnt that covered under warranty???!" on a very regular basis but you will get used to it and youll get a mix of awesome regulars that service their cars and some hard headed people but it just trains you to handle more situations.

HO2S
11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
btimbit,the dealership is a very different world than independents (mom and pop, tire shops, franchises). Some people love the dealer some hate it same thing with independents. If you do want to get into mechanics you will have to decide what type of tech you want to be. There is no right or wrong it just depends on what type of person you are.
Both have pluses and minuses, independent techs get things that dealer techs don't and vise a verse. What rat fink said about independents is not true at all. Rat fink has a very poor attitude. I work for a tire shop, I have access to manufacture training and service info. I install a lot of dealer parts and aftermarket parts. Dealers also install aftermarket parts btw. Out of all the cars that I have worked on this week the oldest one was a 2002. I do not have to deal with shit boxes unless I want to.

This is the automotive industry, it is one big penis waving contest. You cannot ask peoples opinions because every one is different and you just get a shit load of hot air. Get a job, get your foot in the door and see what you like.

TomcoPDR
11-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by HO2S

This is the automotive industry, it is one big penis waving contest. You cannot ask peoples opinions because every one is different and you just get a shit load of hot air. Get a job, get your foot in the door and see what you like.

Don't listen to H02S, or anyone else... go become a "dent guy" in automotive :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :devil:

If you wanna do it bad, just dive in, get a job or two in the sector. Hopefully you'll bump into the right "click" of friends (i.e. networking, but in automotive, it really is important; whether guys within your age, 5 years older 10 years older) because these are going to be the very same people whom in near future will take over higher positions or become an owner themselves, whom if you have good relationships with, will bring you along.

Regardless of some of the oxymoron opinions (i.e. nobody is 100% wrong, nobody is 100% right; all depends on the side they stand on, and past experience)... but the saying couldn't be more true in this: "It's not what you know, but who, etc..."

90_Shelby
11-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

I'm not in the auto industry but this sounds ignorant as fuck, it's also poor advice. Many people think that office work isn't tolerable or school long term isn't tolerable. School doesn't always yield the best money either and most of the wealthiest people on this site didn't go to school to get there but rather worked hard in their industry.

My recommendations may be "ignorant as fuck" in your eyes, but I'm speaking from experience. I worked at a very well renowned high performance shop in the auto industry for the better part of 7 years. I then went back to school, got a great job and I have the potential to continue to move forward in my career. Going back to school was life changing and the best decision I've ever made.

And you are correct, you don't need to go to school to be successful or make a good salary but you increase the odds substantially taking this route.

Originally posted by btimbit

Sound like my ex girlfriend :poosie:

Issue I have with going back to school right away is I don't know what I'd want to go for yet, which is another reason this thread exists. I also don't want a 'tolerable' job. I want a job ill enjoy. I have a 'tolerable' job right now, and it's not quite cutting it.

Take your time to figure out what to go to school for and make sure you pick something that, a) you'll easily get a job when you're done and b) will make good money with the potential for career advancement and growth. Personally I would recommend any of the engineering technologist courses at SAIT. Only 2 years of school and lots of opportunities and good salaries. If the school work intimidates you since you've been out for awhile, retake your key courses in the evenings to boost your confidence. I had to take or re-take every class required to get into post secondary.

As I mentioned above, I had a job that I enjoyed, it was an absolute blast and I got to build and drive some of the most bad ass cars around at the time. But in all honesty, after awhile, it was still just a job, and the cars weren't mine nor could I afford any of them. The job was more then tolerable but there was no room for advancement, growth or development in my career. I kept asking myself, now what? Not a good thing at a young age.

Originally posted by Abeo

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I worked in a collision/mechanical shop for 5 years, and EVERYONE I worked with told me to keep going to school and not become an apprentice. Essentially, they said "if you can do that, why would you do this?"

Mechanics can make good money, but they hit a ceiling eventually, and its a hard life. I didn't know of a mechanic over 45 that didn't have back problems.

I'm not knocking the trades... but I say that its a good idea to explore your options and keeping what you love as a hobby. It has worked out great for me.

Exactly. I heard enough guys tell me to go back to school and eventually I listened. I also really enjoy getting out to the garage and wrenching, welding, fabricating etc. I find that I really enjoy doing this type of work in my spare time when I want to..... as opposed to doing it everyday because I have to.