PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a all year car

Boosted131
11-13-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm looking for a vehicle that is fairly quick, decent on gas and must be fairly new (newer than 2000 is ok). Would cOnsider v6 , v8, turbo, awd, rwd, fwd. looking to spend under 10,000 on it as well.

Have looked on kijiji and saw some newer mustang gt, Altima 3.5, cars like this would work. Just need some recommendations.

Graham_A_M
11-13-2012, 09:56 AM
I bought an 07 Saturn aura XR, as a daily. I'm quite happy with it. I paid 10k a year ago. They can be had now for around 9k ish. So far it's been perfectly reliable. Parts aren't hard to get as any GM dealer will stock them.
Quick car too, the XR'a are 250hp/ 250tq. With the 6speed auto (w/paddle shift) I get 7.8/100km on the highway, and 10.5/100k in the city.
It's just a rebadged Holden commodore basically.
Very quiet car in the city and highway, everybody that's driven mine like it a lot as well. It's a very decent car for the money. I've driven a fair share of nigher end benz's and this is just as quiet, nicely loaded too.
0-60 in 5.5 as well. Apparently it'll do the quarter mile in the mid to high 14's, but I've never tried, so I can't say for sure.

Boosted131
11-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I was looking at the equinox that had that engine I believe. Wouldn't mind a small suv like that but leaning towards a car

ercchry
11-13-2012, 11:14 AM
G35

Boosted131
11-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
G35 This is actually a good option . Need some more similar to this

Kloubek
11-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Really, if you want an all-weather car then you shouldn't be looking at vehicles like the Mustang. As good of a value as they are, they simply don't drive well in the winter with all that power and RWD. The Altima might be good, but you're still looking at a 2wd vehicle which isn't really "ideal" for winter.

My suggestion would be an Audi S4 or something like that, so you have the AWD. (Audi's Haldex system is amazing, btw).

Here's an ad for one with under 100k for 8500. (The price shows 9000, but the details say 8500 firm) This is a great deal:
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-01-Audi-S4-twin-turbo-95kms-loaded-in-great-condition-8500-firm-W0QQAdIdZ426122106

With a car like this, you get AWD, luxury (somewhat), and it is a really quick car which can be easily boosted another 40-50hp with an APR chip if you so choose.

Boosted131
11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I hear those s4 are very expensive to maintain and not reliable though ? I do like it though .

Kloubek
11-13-2012, 11:46 AM
That is true - though the low k ought to be a consideration.

That era of Audi do have their issues, but you can have issues with any car. I believe the main thing with the Audi might be the turbos which will eventually go, and is an engine-out proceedure to replace. But then you can replace with bigger turbos and make even more power - so consider it a performance upgrade. :) Being that the car is $1500 under your budget (and I imagine although he says he is firm that he's still take a couple hundred more off the price if you insisted), that'll make up for some repairs you might encounter down the road.

M.alex
11-13-2012, 11:50 AM
03/04 cobra convertible + mods.

This is the BEST daily driver I've ever had (srs).

summer - drop the top & 500rwp/tq :drool: :drool:

winter - pop the top up & blizzaks & 500rwhp/tq :drool:

If I ever get tired with it I might replace with a 2013 GT500 as a new DD. Torque :drool:

Originally posted by Kloubek
Really, if you want an all-weather car then you shouldn't be looking at vehicles like the Mustang. As good of a value as they are, they simply don't drive well in the winter with all that power and RWD. T

Don't give me that BS - if you have issues driving it then you need to learn how to drive.

I get many LULZ watching the 4x4s spinning at intersections, unable to go forward as they're mashing the gas pedal; meanwhile I just ease off the clutch and goooo :burnout:

Sugarphreak
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM

zieg
11-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Older wrx, or gti maybe?

Kloubek
11-13-2012, 12:10 PM
*sigh* The wisdom of M. Alex strikes again.

#1: He's looking for a car around 10g. Where do you suppose he's going to pick up a Terminator convertible for 10k?

#2: *I* have driven several RWD high-powered vehicles in the winter. After 20 years of driving, I know how to handle these kinds of vehicles year-round, as I'm sure you do too. But to suggest everyone does so is foolish and a dangerous proposition. If everyone was driving 500hp rwd vehicles around in the winter our accident rate would go through the roof. Give your head a shake man... he's looking for a practical but fun all-year driver.

Not everyone wants to show off like you.

I think the Saab/WRX suggestions are pretty good too - though the styling of both isn't for everyone.

ercchry
11-13-2012, 12:13 PM
modern rwd is a breeze in the winter. my car hasnt made me poop my pants yet.... unlike older rwd cars i have drove in the winter

M.alex
11-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
*sigh* The wisdom of M. Alex strikes again.

#1: He's looking for a car around 10g. Where do you suppose he's going to pick up a Terminator convertible for 10k?

#2: *I* have driven several RWD high-powered vehicles in the winter. After 20 years of driving, I know how to handle these kinds of vehicles year-round, as I'm sure you do too. But to suggest everyone does so is foolish and a dangerous proposition. If everyone was driving 500hp rwd vehicles around in the winter our accident rate would go through the roof. Give your head a shake man... he's looking for a practical but fun all-year driver.

Not everyone wants to show off like you.

I think the Saab/WRX suggestions are pretty good too - though the styling of both isn't for everyone.

I may have missed the 10k part ... reading comprehension, it eludes me :rofl:

Allow me to rephrase my answer - OP - add $14k to your budget and get an 03/04 cobra with modddddz :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Hallowed_point
11-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
03/04 cobra convertible + mods.

This is the BEST daily driver I've ever had (srs).

summer - drop the top & 500rwp/tq :drool: :drool:

winter - pop the top up & blizzaks & 500rwhp/tq :drool:

If I ever get tired with it I might replace with a 2013 GT500 as a new DD. Torque :drool:

Don't give me that BS - if you have issues driving it then you need to learn how to drive.

I get many LULZ watching the 4x4s spinning at intersections, unable to go forward as they're mashing the gas pedal; meanwhile I just ease off the clutch and goooo :burnout:

In 4 pics of the cobra in winter mode , buddy has has an 03 lightly modded and refuses to drive it in the winter..I've gotta show him! ;)

M.alex
11-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

In 4 pics of the cobra in winter mode , buddy has has an 03 lightly modded and refuses to drive it in the winter..I've gotta show him! ;)

These pics suck, but whatever - only thing i do is swap my oem rims for a set of fake-ass cobras with 225 Blizzaks and gooooooooo.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/snow1.jpg

then i drive it around and it gets dirty :(
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/rideheight-1.jpg

Then it gets clean again in the spring :bigpimp:

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/cbr1-1.jpg

And the process repeats year after year.

Hallowed_point
11-13-2012, 12:27 PM

These pics suck, but whatever - only thing i do is swap my oem rims for a set of fake-ass cobras with 225 Blizzaks and gooooooooo.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/snow1.jpg

then i drive it around and it gets dirty :(
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/rideheight-1.jpg

Then it gets clean again in the spring :bigpimp:

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/cbr1-1.jpg

And the process repeats year after year.

:clap:... Now I don't feel so special driving a ~300 rwhp RWD solid rear axle in the winter :( :rofl:

Tomaz
11-13-2012, 12:34 PM
My suggestions, some mentioned before:

Subaru WRX
Audi A4 Quattro
G35x
Chrysler 300 AWD
BMW 330Xi

I'll post more if I can think of anything else.

Boosted131
11-13-2012, 01:01 PM

I may have missed the 10k part ... reading comprehension, it eludes me :rofl:

Allow me to rephrase my answer - OP - add $14k to your budget and get an 03/04 cobra with modddddz :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: I would love a cobra but that would mean selling my offroad toys which is a no go.

Thanks for the suggestions so far

whiskas
11-13-2012, 01:20 PM
A 2006+ Civic with under 100,000km can be had for under $10,000 these days.

They're fun to drive, I actually feel right at home driving them in comparison to my S2000. The clutch feel is great, digital dash is awesome, and the shifter feels nice.

JZS_147
11-13-2012, 01:21 PM
02-04 WRX is in your budget. Some of the older Lexus cars would provide good bang for buck as well, IS300, LS400, LS430, GS 300/400/430....

Boosted131
11-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by JZS_147
02-04 WRX is in your budget. Some of the older Lexus cars would provide good bang for buck as well, IS300, LS400, LS430, GS 300/400/430.... All I could find is the is300 the others must be rare?

Got offered a trade for a g35 sedan but not awd. I'd be fine though as I never use 4x4 on road

ddduke
11-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Boosted131
Got offered a trade for a g35 sedan but not awd. I'd be fine though as I never use 4x4 on road

I have a rwd infiniti and it's amazing in winter after I put some winter tires on. I'm not sure if the older g35's have the same type of technology as the newer m45 for winter but if they do then you should be fine.

Boosted131
11-15-2012, 09:34 AM
They have traction control. My truck is a 03 Dakota 4.7L 4x4 loaded minus leather. And he wants to trade for his 03 g35 with 190,000km

Canucks3322
11-15-2012, 06:04 PM
I have experience with G35 and Zs in winter with snow tires, the tc is amazing but still useless if you plan to drive up any kind of an icy incline:nut: for me its fine as i rarely drive and luve in the flat parts of the city....
The sedeans do come in awd though..

kloubek...any tips for winter driving high power rwd cars?

Kloubek
11-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Well firstly, you've driven your G35 and while not exactly a powerhouse I'd guess you're already fully aware of the driving dynamics of a sporty RWD.

Like any car, tires make all the difference in the world. For a high power RWD, it is the difference between it even being capable of driving on ice or being relegated to the garage for half of the year.

Before the 80's, almost all vehicles were RWD but as fwd seems to have become the norm for most vehicles, it seems like so many don't have a clue how to drive RWD properly, and don't know what to do if a car starts sliding sideways; either they don't know how to compensate, or (more likely) they panic, then overcompensate. Once the weight shifts to the other side, you're well on your way to a spin.

I took my wife out in my vette a couple of winters ago and we went to the creekside mall parking lot so she could learn how to handle the extra power and the tendency for rwd to fishtail. And man, with summer tires I barely was able to get that thing back in my driveway... but she learned valuable information on how to get out of a skid should one present itself. Well worth the time spent.

The electronics in the newer vehicles (ABS, TC, SC, etc) help a ton when it comes to ensuring the driver doesn't do something stupid to put the vehicle out of control. All the things these systems do can be mimicked by a good driver in a vehicle without them, but who wants to have to remember to pump the brakes to avoid a slide, or to notice the moment the tires start to spin when leaving an intersection?

As long as someone is always aware of the fact the rear end of a RWD slides easily and knows how to compensate for it, has snow tires, and eases up on the skinny when getting going there is no reason they cannot be driven in the snow. However, it would not at all be my natural choice for a year-round driver, and I think most people would prefer to drive relaxed on a daily basis rather than having to be always aware of the increased potential for problems.

I will say though, that rwd is so much more fun than fwd in the winter. Or, any season for that matter. I can't blame these guys for driving their 'stangs in the winter.... it is just that for 95% of people out there it is not the best year-round choice imo.

Boosted131
11-16-2012, 10:45 AM
If anyone wants to trade I have a almost minty 2003 black Dakota 4x4, 4.7L engine, 5 speed auto, 202000km. Has brand new 31 inch general grabber at2 tires. Blackbook value says 8200, so keep the trade offers reasonable

slinkie
11-17-2012, 08:28 PM
2nd gen TL type S

Redlined_8000
11-18-2012, 06:29 AM
If your thinking about a g35 get the awd. :winter:

r3ccOs
11-18-2012, 10:04 AM
I can't think of anything reliable, that's fast and good year around for less than 10k other than a older nissan fwd vq variant like a 04-08 maxima or altima from 02-06
even at that, they're not "Fast" but fast is

you always compromise

for 10k?

I'd look for an older reliable SUV/truck like a ranger/b4000, Jeep TJ, xterra

for a car
I'd compromise for quick reliable, meaning newer, and fwd
that would put me in a compact/hatch looking for a Sentra SE-R, Civic SI, older GTI

Cos
11-18-2012, 10:12 AM

freshprince1
11-19-2012, 02:52 PM
My Legacy GT has been the ultimate year round DD. AWD, turbo, and the driving dynamics are incredible. I average 25mpg on premium fuel, and 32mpg on the highway. I also like that it's a sleeper. The AWD is superior on bad road conditions to my 4x4 SUV (as long as clearnace isnt an issue). I couldn't be happier with it as a daily driver. Fast, handles incredibly well, AWD, decently fuel efficient for having a turbo/intercooler, very safe.

I should work for Subaru.

Boosted131
11-19-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't mean like corvette fast, any of those v6 cars like altima, g6 gtp, accord v6, tl type s, g35 etc would all work.