PDA

View Full Version : Do You Change Lanes?

sexualbanana
11-13-2012, 10:51 AM
I just had to change a flat on Highway 1 today and noticed something that really bugs me. If you saw a car pulled over on the side of the road, do you change lanes (assuming it's an open highway, of course) to create some space?

I noticed a lot of people not changing lanes for me today and it was really bothering me that cars were flying no more than 4-5 feet away from me and going 100+

TYMSMNY
11-13-2012, 10:54 AM
polite to change lanes to give more space. not really required unless your a emergency vehicle.

I usually move over if there is room and decrease speed, even if it's half a lane... still better than nothing.

lilmira
11-13-2012, 10:57 AM
If the next lane is clear, yes.
If not, I would slow down slightly and be ready to react in case something bolts out behind the car.
If the car looks abandoned with no sign of life inside, business as usual.

sexualbanana
11-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
polite to change lanes to give more space. not really required unless your a emergency vehicle.

I usually move over if there is room and decrease speed, even if it's half a lane... still better than nothing.

I always move over, but I wouldn't decrease speed though

Boosted131
11-13-2012, 11:17 AM
I move over to the opposite side as long as no ones blocking me in.

Kloubek
11-13-2012, 11:23 AM
^ What he said. If there is someone obviously around the vehicle and the highway is open I'll move over for sure.

I experienced the same thing many years ago, OP. I was borrowing a friend's pickup to move my girlfriend's stuff and on the highway the throttle cable snapped. I was able to do a fix on the side of the highway, but trying to crawl around under the hood with transport trucks flying by at 110k/hr a few feet away was not a lot of fun.

Zhariak
11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
I always move over if anyone is pulled over on the shoulder.

Khyron
11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I noticed a lot of people not changing lanes for me today and it was really bothering me that cars were flying no more than 4-5 feet away from me and going 100+

Try riding a bike on any highway. Bit of pucker factor sometimes. :P

My_name_is_Rob
11-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Assuming open highway, yes! If somebody is blocking in the hammer lane, then I'll just hug the center line. Might be a habit brought on from driving oversize loads. :dunno:

XylathaneGTR
11-13-2012, 12:16 PM
If I can, I change lanes when I see anything pulled over to the side of the road....highway or not. It would bother me to be passed at 100km/h, so I try not to do that to others.

Cos
11-13-2012, 12:17 PM

M.alex
11-13-2012, 12:22 PM
If there's room, sure.

sexualbanana
11-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Coward.

Haha.

sexualbanana
11-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Says the guy who started this thread

Tik-Tok
11-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Always. If there's someone in the other lane, I'll find room to move over.

got_mike33
11-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

Really easy solution to that...

Don't ride your bike on the highway!! :guns:

Masked Bandit
11-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Assuming I can move over safely...always.

Even if it's a single lane highway, if nobody is coming the other way I'll move over to the opposite lane.

nzwasp
11-13-2012, 01:22 PM
I attempt to slow down to 50kph if I cant change to the lane next to me for some reason.

Tomaz
11-13-2012, 01:49 PM
I always move. I either slow down and move to the furthest edge of my lane if there is traffic, or change lanes completely provided if there is room to change.

flipstah
11-13-2012, 02:19 PM
If it's safe to do, I always do.

If not, I wait then proceed.

I've been in that situation many times and so I know how it feels. Also, I remember hearing a story about a dad and son fixing the car on the side of the road and the dad got crushed when a passing car hit theirs.

:(

urrforce
11-13-2012, 02:49 PM
like a lot of others have said if i can i will switch lanes if not i move over as far as i can and slow down a bit

Ntense_SpecV
11-13-2012, 03:08 PM
If the lane next to me is open sure. If not, I'll hug the line right before I pass by.

I also change lanes on a 2 lane road to let someone turn onto it from a side street - especially if they need to turn left onto the road and have traffic to turn in front of. I figure that since most people don't accelerate that rapidly I can change lanes, let them turn onto the street, I pass by them and change back to my original lane.

btimbit
11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
I almost always stop to see if they need a hand, but if they look alright or I'm running late, absolutely always move over.

Xtrema
11-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Assuming I can move over safely...always.

Even if it's a single lane highway, if nobody is coming the other way I'll move over to the opposite lane.

This.

But if all options are out, you are probably going to get 10-20km/h less from me. Slower if nobody is riding my ass.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-13-2012, 06:09 PM
I always change lanes if possible.

A2VR6
11-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

This.

But if all options are out, you are probably going to get 10-20km/h less from me. Slower if nobody is riding my ass.

+1

racerjim
11-13-2012, 07:09 PM
I always change lanes, being a tow truck operator i know what its like to have traffic too close even with the Lights flashing people stay too close and too fast. I had a co-worker hit by a douche in a mustang a few years ago, so its always in my mind to be careful.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-13-2012, 07:09 PM
I absolutely will not change a tire on the highway. I think it should be illegal to get out of a vehicle on a highway. I've heard too many stories and common sense dictates that sitting in a car for 6 hours is a lot better than getting smoked by a texting driver.

Maybe its because I'm a tech I can sense a low tire long before it becomes a flat. But I've never found myself in that situation. I always find room to pull of and fix on a flat piece of terrain.

I also have a plug repair kit along with a 12v compressor lol.

On that note, will change lanes or slow down. I flash my brakes to alert those behind me.

I will never offer help to a motorist again. I had 6 bad experiences in a row with people who were offended by me offering help or simply arguing with me in regards to my advice.(block heater popped on a 4runner, told them to tow it, they drove it away in spite of my advise)

DboyNismo
11-13-2012, 08:32 PM
I think that because we are all enthusiasts here we would all, more or less, do the same thing in this situation. There are many people who would just not give a shit or just go about their business because they don't even think of the other person.

magicalpoop
11-18-2012, 10:48 AM
yup

Rat Fink
11-18-2012, 12:34 PM