PDA

View Full Version : Any sports being played weekly by beyonders?

ekguy
11-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Trying to find more stuff to throw into my routine and to get in shape.

A friend of mine and her boyfriend and I are possibly going to be joining Tennis.

I'm going to be playing racketball with another buddy.

I remember there being a badminton night where a bunch of beyonders went. Is there still something like this going on? or any other sports being played?

Has to be other guys on here wanting to be more active like me.

colinxx235
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM
I tried to find hockey and hit a hitch with too many players on team, and have been looking for that.

I play CSSC v-ball once a week, which is fun to get out. I'd be down if there was that organized at rally pointe or something too.

max_boost
11-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Ice hockey. We try to organize every weekend, either Fri or Sat night with start time around 10pm.

Skill level ranges but most of us are beginners.

ekguy
11-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Anything other than hockey going on?

bigbadboss101
11-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Check out www.calgaryoutdoorclub.com

Lot of events, some cheap, some free. Soccer, vball, racket sports, ski, hike, etc.

I am doing ice hockey 1-2x a week. Weight training 4x.

Tennis would be fun. What info do you have regarding time, location, and prices?

Yoga would be good.

ExtraSlow
11-14-2012, 08:55 AM
the leagues at the university are usually pretty fun, and a decent way to meet chicks.

topmade
11-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Here are the times we play badminton
Clearone - Saturday 10-1pm
Sunridge - Sunday 9-12pm
This is drop in so you just come and mix it up with people. There are other groups that go different drop in times but I've heard they are not as friendly and don't like playing with others.

SJW
11-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I play hockey 2-3 times per week.

DeleriousZ
11-14-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm playing rec soccer on sundays that's indoor. It's a good amount of fun. It's thru the calgary social club.

I'm trying to get a team together for wednesday's rec+ coed indoor if there's anyone else interested.

flipstah
11-14-2012, 09:50 AM
I play ball hockey on Tuesdays and Sundays.

Boosted131
11-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Hockey and quading/dirtbiking. Both open to join

civicrider
11-14-2012, 09:58 AM
hockey, indoor soccer, and sometimes squash

Eride
11-14-2012, 10:00 AM
I run a men's ball hockey league here in town. We are about a quarter way through the season but still accepting registrations. Www.alliancefloorhockey.com better than CSSC and Super leagues IMO.

austic
11-14-2012, 10:23 AM
I play dogeball surprsingly fun.

My_name_is_Rob
11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235

I play CSSC v-ball once a week, which is fun to get out. I'd be down if there was that organized at rally pointe or something too.

I played with them a couple years ago, a couple times and it was good fun. Do they still have pretty good turn outs these days? And is it still on Fridays?

Moonracer
11-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by austic
I play dogeball surprsingly fun.

Where do you play that?

SOAB
11-14-2012, 10:37 AM
i play badminton at Sunridge badminton centre every wednesday from 8-11pm. there are a few beyonders in my group but most aren't that active on the forums.

also, depending on your level, you may or may not fit in. haha. not too many beginners with the group i play with.

colinxx235
11-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob

I played with them a couple years ago, a couple times and it was good fun. Do they still have pretty good turn outs these days? And is it still on Fridays?

I'm registered on thursdays in the intermediate div. I think they have about 12 or so (i'd have to look) days/divisions etc.

We are in the intermediate A so the v-ball is usually pretty good and other teams almost always have 6-8 players show up. So far I'm pretty happy. I wanted to do rally pointe but some certain people on our team are very cheap/can't do math. Mostly because rally surface is great, and always in the same place.

ekguy
11-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Check out www.calgaryoutdoorclub.com

Lot of events, some cheap, some free. Soccer, vball, racket sports, ski, hike, etc.

I am doing ice hockey 1-2x a week. Weight training 4x.

Tennis would be fun. What info do you have regarding time, location, and prices?

Yoga would be good.

We haven't looked into tennis yet. but I am definitely wanting to get that started. I've never played so we are going to hopefully find group classes.

I already go to the gym 5 nights a week but I'm reaching somewhat of a plateau so I'm wanting to switch it up.

Funny you mention yoga as I've started throwing that into the mix a few times a month, once I get more comfortable in it I will be joining classes at one of the yoga studios in Marda Loop.

austic
11-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer

Where do you play that?

Calgary dodgeball (http://calgarydodgeball.ca/)

We play monday nights and are always short handed.

rizfarmer
11-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Ice hockey. We try to organize every weekend, either Fri or Sat night with start time around 10pm.

Skill level ranges but most of us are beginners.

is there a thread on this to get involved- if it's drop in and open invite?

max_boost
11-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

is there a thread on this to get involved- if it's drop in and open invite?

As long as you are chill guy and don't take 5min shifts you are welcome. I think 75% of the guys I play with are on Beyond. Just keep in mind a bunch of us just started this year so we are pretty bad but the others are pretty decent skaters. I say it's around NCHL E level hockey. Even C_Dave has been out a few times with us. Old man has wheels lol

http://www.facebook.com/groups/214122592051468/

max_boost
11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Can Beyond sponsor my shinny league? We will wear a Beyond logo lol :werd:

I will create a team called the Calgary Beyonders or something. haha Our team would be stacked. :bigpimp:

Might be more legitimate than Tomco's idea of the Calgary Chinatowners with the rice paddy guy :rofl:

Moonracer
11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by austic

Calgary dodgeball (http://calgarydodgeball.ca/)

We play monday nights and are always short handed.

Cool I'm checking out the website. Thanks

hurrdurr
11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Every Wednesday boss dodgeball has drop in.

http://bossdodgeball.ca

Tonight it's at Branton School 845-1045pm $5.

Lots of fun, and a tutorial in the beginning for the newbies.

mo_money2supe
11-14-2012, 12:43 PM
I play squash once a week at my gym at the base of the Husky tower. I usually go with co-workers but am always down for a couple more games a week with beyonders who work in the area. I would say I'm an intermediate player. They have drop-in rates of $10/day or you could always get a membership.

reiRei
11-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I play roller derby, there's a men's league in Calgary and it's growing pretty quickly: http://www.chinookcity.ca/

maxout
11-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by hurrdurr

How many people show up. thinking of comming down for a bit. Do I require a team or are the teams made then?

TYMSMNY
11-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by hurrdurr

I'll come down and check it out tonight. Who do I look for? :)

TYMSMNY
11-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

I'll come down and check it out tonight. Who do I look for? :)

Tons of fun! Great guys, got introduced and felt welcomed right away. Now i've got a sore arm...