PDA

View Full Version : Which state to purchase car from?

KISS_ME
11-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Im looking to get into a lexus IS and have been considering driving one home from the states. Can anyone provide some info on which states would exempt state taxes? I called a few dealerships in California and they tell me any vehicles leaving the state would be subject to taxes.

I'm not fixed on the idea of Lexus so if someone has good suggestions on which sedans are better bargains please let me know.

EDIT: looking for a state that would exempt taxes plus that has a cheaper price on used vehicles

Thanks

schocker
11-13-2012, 06:43 PM
I believe this is what you are looking for:
http://www.monsieurmaggot.com/statesummary.html
If it has to be shipped from state, those are the ones that would charge tax if you drove it away. I have also been looking at sedans that size though, the IS are quite a good deal in the US, ie IS250awd as I wanted AWD, also B8 A4's. Those two could carry warranty, if you wanted a C class or 3 series, those would be more costly to get warranty as you would need to pay the dealer fees to get them 'canadian' spec.
I have decided to wait until next spring though to get an S4 instead. I am going to ship my next car though, can be costly to drive back compared to trucking.

98type_r
11-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Not on the link above but Oregon has no sales tax

Tik-Tok
11-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
Not on the link above but Oregon has no sales tax

All states not on the list have no staes sales tax.

Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon.

Maxx Mazda
11-14-2012, 01:04 PM
It's not just which ones have no tax, you need to look at the title requirements in each state. You can not import a vehicle into Canada without physical possession of the title. Some states have a 30 day waiting period just receive a title from the bank.

KISS_ME
11-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
It's not just which ones have no tax, you need to look at the title requirements in each state. You can not import a vehicle into Canada without physical possession of the title. Some states have a 30 day waiting period just receive a title from the bank.

but thats only if your buying from a lease right? if the seller has the title on hand it's simple as signing it over?

schocker
11-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by KISS_ME
but thats only if your buying from a lease right? if the seller has the title on hand it's simple as signing it over?
That should be the case. When I got my car they gave and signed over to me the original title which I had to present at the us border crossing.

94boosted
11-14-2012, 05:18 PM
If you are actually serious about importing from the states read this thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/107279/jaymez-importing-from-the-states-thread-/

It should answer all of your questions about which state, which brand (if you want warranty), titles and anything else you could possibly need to know to import.

schocker
11-14-2012, 05:25 PM
That thread is old now though.

Warranty:
http://www.apa.ca/CanadianWarrantyinformationonnewcarsboughtintheUS.asp
Admissibility List:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/vafus.pdf
http://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx

Small RIV Importing Guide
http://www.riv.ca/Docs/RIV-09_brochure-EN-web.pdf

Kloubek
11-14-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't think much has changed over the last few years so old or not, I think there is a lot of relevant information in it.

Keep in mind, OP, that if a state has a tax you'll generally be ok if it is a private sale. I bought a vette in Cali and drove away tax-free even though if it was from a dealer I would have had to pay it.

schocker
11-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I don't think much has changed over the last few years so old or not, I think there is a lot of relevant information in it.

Sorry, I meant in regards to all the links. Most has remained the same.

ddduke
11-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Not gonna help with your thread but I have a is-f, thats near new with 16000km on, it's from the states and cost me 32000 all in to get here. I just want to recoup my costs (that's if you're looking at an f).

Team_Mclaren
11-14-2012, 06:36 PM
There are ways around paying taxes, depending on what the dealer is willing to do for you.

Not sure if anything has changed, but last time I bought a Lexus in Cali (2010, used, through a Lexus dealer), the salesman drove it to Reno for me for the exchange and got a notary to sign off on the sales agreement so that I didnt have to pay any state tax.

Since you are looking to import a pretty common vehicle, I would narrow it down to a specific location (east/west coast/State), Private or Dealer and go from there.

Team_Mclaren
11-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Not gonna help with your thread but I have a is-f, thats near new with 16000km on, it's from the states and cost me 32000 all in to get here. I just want to recoup my costs (that's if you're looking at an f).

That's a wicked deal, not sure how you pulled that off. I dont think I have seem any ISF that goes for less than 30k USD. Let alone 32k all set and done.

94boosted
11-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Sorry, I meant in regards to all the links. Most has remained the same.

True enough.

schocker
11-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

That's a wicked deal, not sure how you pulled that off. I dont think I have seem any ISF that goes for less than 30k USD. Let alone 32k all set and done.
:werd:
Especially with that low mileage that is an amazing deal. Was it from an auction?

KISS_ME
11-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Maybe looking into a private sale now just to avoid the extra taxes but on the flip side i gotta find my own recall letter.

And 32k for a IS-f??? holy shit, that's an insane price. I've been lurking clublexus and craiglist last few weeks and haven't seen anything close to that price. This a clean status car? Best deal i've seen lately was a clean status 2010 is250 w/ navi for 18.5k

Yes, i've read jaymez's thread on importing before posting, but @ over 100 pages its kinda hard to find the exact details i'm looking for

ddduke
11-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Not an auction car, no claims on it at all. Clean carproof/fax and I double checked the total on it, it's 32800 not 32000.