PDA

View Full Version : What did you do to overcome favoritism in the workplace?

rx7boi
11-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Long story short, I do my job exceptionally, have excellent rapport with my boss and coworkers, and the value that I bring to the team is more than the majority of my coworkers.

My boss sees me as a superstar amongst the others (whether I should take that with a grain of salt is debatable), but there's a weird situation at work.

I'm aiming for a promotion, have expressed interest to them in the position, but I know through the grapevine that one of the newly hired guys was brought in to fill this position (or at least in the foreseeable future) even though he does not have the skill set yet.

I won't say that there is blatant favoritism at play yet, but the thought of it as being entirely possibility has me cringing given the underlying reason why this guy was hired on.

Have any of you ever experienced this first hand? What did you do to overcome this obstacle?

lilmira
11-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Tell your boss that you'd like to step up and take the position. Convince him that you are the person for the position. People will always favour someone over the others for various reasons. Don't get overly upset if you don't get it though. Just keep reminding him that you can handle more than what you are currently doing.

revelations
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
If you are as good as you say you are, your suboordinates might WANT to keep you in the present role. Its hard to find right people to do the right things. Lots of people have good tech skills but 0 people skills ... :dunno:

Disoblige
11-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Did you express interest in this new position before or after they hired this guy?

If you expressed interest beforehand, what was the reason your boss gave you before hiring this new guy?

kevie88
11-16-2012, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi
Long story short, I do my job exceptionally, have excellent rapport with my boss and coworkers, and the value that I bring to the team is more than the majority of my coworkers.

My boss sees me as a superstar amongst the others (whether I should take that with a grain of salt is debatable), but there's a weird situation at work.

I'm aiming for a promotion, have expressed interest to them in the position, but I know through the grapevine that one of the newly hired guys was brought in to fill this position (or at least in the foreseeable future) even though he does not have the skill set yet.

I won't say that there is blatant favoritism at play yet, but the thought of it as being entirely possibility has me cringing given the underlying reason why this guy was hired on.

Have any of you ever experienced this first hand? What did you do to overcome this obstacle?

Are you very, very good at what you do now (sounds like the answer to that is yes) ? If you're considered the best in a position you may NEVER escape that position.

It's the problem I find myself in right now, I'm considered to be one of the best people in the city at my job. The only problem is I will never, ever be allowed out of this position as long as I'm in this industry. Luckily I make some good money and it's easy, so I don't really care haha.

gkAeris
11-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Being a manager and having my brother and some friends work under me alot of co workers may think I play favorites. But ultimately all my decisions are based on what is best for the company and who is the better fit for the position. It has nothing to do with favoritism IMHO that's what I'm hired to do and the decisions I make are for the benefits of the company as a whole.

There's always rumors and people hearing stuff on the grapevine.... Lol

Sugarphreak
11-16-2012, 02:05 PM

tirebob
11-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Getting pigeon holed into a position because you are really good at what you do is a reality, and it is something I have had to overcome more than once myself over the years. You have to speak up and show your bosses why you deserve the position and show them that they need you in that position, and if that doesn't work, really the only thing you can do is pretty much tell them that if you don't get the advancement you deserve, it is probably time for you to start looking elsewhere for a company that recognizes your skills and will give you the opportunity to advance your career. The thing is, if it comes down to that, you have to mean it. If you don't get the position you want but you cave and stay on with them, they will know they have you over a barrel forever, so make sure you are committed if you go that route.

Smartiepants
11-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Yup agree with the above, if you're truly that good and deserve the promotion they wouldn't have brought in someone new. If they aren't recognizing you then you have the options, stay where you are, or go somewhere you can advance.

ringmaster
11-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Without knowing all the facts, I'd say that this has more to do with the "other guy" having something you don't.

Does the next position up from where you are at have some technical certificate or industry standard qualifications you don't currently have? Was he brought on specifically to move to the senior role and is only doing a tour of duty in your department as a formality?

Consider this stuff before beating yourself up too much. I've seen it happen before.

rx7boi
11-16-2012, 05:14 PM
You guys are right and I completely agree.

My grapevine source is reliable and is a part of management as well. I'm still debating whether or not it will be damaging to confront my boss about this.

The most ironic part of this whole situation is that the newbie was actually brought in by my boss with the intent of filling this position when it became available because they used to work together. At the very least, they're friends.

The reason I haven't spoken to him about it is because I do not want to give the impression that I am bitter or that I am confronting him about bringing in a newbie who does not have the skillset that I have worked hard to build over the last year.

I certainly do not feel entitled to a promotion, and I will certainly continue my trend of success in order to show him that I'm the right person for the promotion. In fact, I have also been paving the way by teaching others the skills they need to be successful so I believe I have both technical and people skills.

So having said that, would you still think it's appropriate to talk to my boss and let him know that I know what his plan for that guy is but that I would be a better choice? I would definitely need to be diplomatic in my wording and substantiate my reasoning.

lilmira
11-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Don't be shy from talking to your employer about your future. You don't have to ask him about that person. Just ask him where he thinks you may be few years down the road. You can agree or disagree at that point. As long as you are being positive, he shouldn't feel upset about it. Year end is coming soon. Don't know if you guys do yearly review. That may be a good time to bring it up.

kvg
11-16-2012, 05:48 PM
The other guy may have only accepted the job with the agreement that he would be stepping into the position you want in a timely manner. What a lot of people don't understand is when joining a company if your good at you job you can do it with your own terms and conditions.

civic_stylez
11-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Are you very, very good at what you do now (sounds like the answer to that is yes) ? If you're considered the best in a position you may NEVER escape that position.

It's the problem I find myself in right now, I'm considered to be one of the best people in the city at my job. The only problem is I will never, ever be allowed out of this position as long as I'm in this industry. Luckily I make some good money and it's easy, so I don't really care haha.

Youre not allowed to go anywhere Kev!!! You are my dealer of parts... it will be like a gang to get you out.. youve been jumped in fo' lieeefeeee!!!!

jazzyb
11-23-2012, 04:56 PM
I became the favorite.

Cos
11-23-2012, 05:32 PM

Kloubek
11-23-2012, 06:29 PM
I am not sure whether or not you should mention that you heard he is in line for the position. I don't think if the information was public knowledge it would be a bad thing to bring up, but since it was "insider information", you don't want to burn the person who told you either or look like you're sneaking around. If you think it would be ok that you knew, then I don't see why you wouldn't mention it.

However, rather than focus on what his guy does *not* bring to the table, you need to focus on what you *do*. Have a list of key initiatives you've made good on which have helped the company. Focus on things which would obviously be of benefit that you possess which will help you in the new role. Show that you're the best person for the position with tangible points.

Ultimately, it will be the choice of your boss and there isn't much you can do if he is good friends with the guy and chooses to be potentially unethical about the decisions he makes.

But to play devil's advocate here - what makes you so sure he doesn't have the skills? Do you know his entire history including what he's done in the past?

vengie
11-23-2012, 06:32 PM
if you don't get the promotion, ask for a raise. Especially if you are as good at your job as you say.

Xtrema
11-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Make your intention clear and get ready to walk.

People in power will always surround people they know.

Cos
11-23-2012, 07:36 PM