PDA

View Full Version : What on earth - Toronto woman denied barbershop haircut files human rights complaint

thetransporter
11-16-2012, 02:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/eyzKX.jpg
Faith McGregor, 35, has filed a human-rights complaint after barbers at a Toronto barbershop refused to cut her hair. (CBC)

My thoughts - she is doing this on purpose - i mean, i been turned away from salons - "sorry we ony cut womens hair here"

Toronto woman denied haircut files human rights complaint

'I want the shop to be cited and forced to give haircuts'

CBC News

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 5:37 PM ET

A Toronto barbershop has found itself at the centre of a human rights complaint after its barbers refused to cut a woman's hair.

Faith McGregor, 35, went to the Terminal Barber Shop on Bay Street, back in June looking for a haircut.

But she was turned away.
Faith McGregor, 35, has filed a human-rights complaint after barbers at a Toronto barbershop refused to cut her hair. (CBC)
The barbers, who are all Muslim, told her their religion didn't allow them to cut the hair of a woman who is not a member of their family.

McGregor filed a human rights complaint.

Barbara Hall, the head of the Ontario Human Rights Commission, said she isn't surprised by the action.

She said that as Canada becomes more diverse, rights are coming into conflict.

"No right is absolute," said Hall. "So no right trumps another."

At the Muslim Association of Canada, many expressed shock that the complaint is being heard.

"It is in the holy Koran, you are not allowed to cut the hair of a woman," said Mohammed Hassan. "Only a woman is supposed to cut the hair of another woman."

But McGregor wants that to change.

"I want the shop to be cited and forced to give haircuts in the fashion they provide [barbershop style] to any woman, or man that asks for one," she said.

McGregor is also asking that a sign be posted in the front window stating both men and woman will be served.

The case will go to mediation in February.

Squishy
11-16-2012, 02:07 PM
:whocares:

Sugarphreak
11-16-2012, 02:09 PM

thetransporter
11-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Squishy
:whocares:

it was a heated debate on the cbc forums. sorry for sharing.

going back to haifa wehbe comment:

"i even defended her on the forums, someone said she should be stoned to death - i said no she shouldnt"

D'z Nutz
11-16-2012, 02:17 PM
0C85tFbBSQk

prosh
11-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Stinks of wanting to make a big deal out of nothing. This dike should stfu, walk next door to a Supercuts, pay her 9.95 and move on with her life!

JRSC00LUDE
11-16-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm all for Lesbians, but this one is ridiculous.

People like this are a disgrace to Canada, they should be stoned on Remembrance Day for treason since they're destroying our freedom.

Guess I'll walk into a Womens only gym tonight and start working out then hit the sauna.

lilmira
11-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Justin Bieber is 35?

Thomas Gabriel
11-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I'm all for Lesbians, but this one is ridiculous.

People like this are a disgrace to Canada, they should be stoned on Remembrance Day for treason since they're destroying our freedom.

Guess I'll walk into a Womens only gym tonight and start working out then hit the sauna.

And that's exactly what a lesbian "transgender" guy in the US recently tried to do. The women weren't too pleased about him jacking off in their sauna so he's suing.

FraserB
11-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Isn't this a private business and can serve who they please?

Agent_Oorange
11-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Yeah, but you still can't discriminate on the basis of race, sex, etc - at least openly.

I fully agree with the barber, though he probably should have used another excuse not to serve her. There are hundreds of other places in Toronto willing to take her money, not like this one is particularly unique in terms of the haircut she'll receive.

Bitch clearly has had an agenda from the start, she refused the barbershop's offer of having another barber come in to give her the cut. What a gigantic waste of time and money - she may as well wear a shirt that says "I FUCKING LOVE ATTENTION!".

JRSC00LUDE
11-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
And that's exactly what a lesbian "transgender" guy in the US recently tried to do. The women weren't too pleased about him jacking off in their sauna so he's suing.

Seriously? :rofl:

GS430
11-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Holy shit, things like this makes my blood boil. Just a dyke who's trying to "stick it to the man."

The fact that she went out of her way to try and change someone's business practices is ridiculous.

Who the FUCK is she to say
"I want the shop to be cited and forced to give haircuts in the fashion they provide [barbershop style] to any woman, or man that asks for one,"

HHURICANE1
11-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I think it's stupid on both sides but..... if a Muslim went into the business of a devout Christian/Jew or whatever and was refused service on religious or other grounds the whole country would be up in arms because we are all supposed to be so "tolerant" of other cultures/religions. It should work both ways.

gretz
11-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
I think it's stupid on both sides but..... if a Muslim went into the business of a devout Christian/Jew or whatever and was refused service on religious or other grounds the whole country would be up in arms because we are all supposed to be so "tolerant" of other cultures/religions. It should work both ways.

That's my exact thoughts... Would any Muslim, "African American" or Asain people be offended if they were not provided service because of their Race (skin color)?

Disoblige
11-16-2012, 04:18 PM
She should have just said she was a man.
She clearly looks like one.

Agent_Oorange
11-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1

I agree, it is stupid on both sides, it's just hair after all. But the dude can't be forced to cut someone's hair and in his defence he seems to have known his limitations and went into a business where he thought he would never have to touch a woman's head.

Edit: removed the rest of my response was not related, not thinking haha.

spikerS
11-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Agent_Oorange

Yeah, but you still can't discriminate on the basis of race, sex, etc - at least openly.

Agreed. They are discriminatory of sex in this instance, something that every person in canada is guaranteed to be free of in the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms.

Religion does not allow the charter to be overwritten in the public domain. If they have a storefront, the right to practice religion is tossed out the window.

Secondly, they are no longer in the eastern continent. Whether it was them that immigrated to Canada, or their parents, ect, they are here now, and should assimilate to Canadian rights and freedoms, not force the other way around.

Having said all that, the bitch could just go around the corner to another shop and save everyone some time. This complaint is nothing more than trying to get her face on TV and be a whistle blower.

rx7boi
11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Agreed. They are discriminatory of sex in this instance, something that every person in canada is guaranteed to be free of in the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms.

Religion does not allow the charter to be overwritten in the public domain. If they have a storefront, the right to practice religion is tossed out the window.

Secondly, they are no longer in the eastern continent. Whether it was them that immigrated to Canada, or their parents, ect, they are here now, and should assimilate to Canadian rights and freedoms, not force the other way around.

Having said all that, the bitch could just go around the corner to another shop and save everyone some time. This complaint is nothing more than trying to get her face on TV and be a whistle blower.

spikers that's a good point you made.

I didn't know that having a storefront means that the right to practice religion cannot be upheld either. Is this 100% factual?

In this case, what is the premise that the case will be mediated upon, sex or religion?

The article does not seem to mention whether they will mediate on her being denied a haircut because she's female or the barber denied the haircut because it's against his religion.

asp integra
11-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
She should have just said she was a man.
She clearly looks like one.

i was going to say the same thing

ercchry
11-16-2012, 05:38 PM
how does spa lady or curves operate?

Seth1968
11-16-2012, 05:46 PM

No, that would be freedom. Try and express freedom, and the "thought police" will shut you down.

"It is in the holy Koran, you are not allowed to cut the hair of a woman," said Mohammed Hassan. "Only a woman is supposed to cut the hair of another woman."

I didn't think there was a book more archaic and retarded than the Christian bible, but I think I just found one.

mobius
11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Wait a minute? Did she not walk into a place of business and ask for a service? A business is not obligated to take on a job just because the client wants them to.....

spikerS
11-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
how does spa lady or curves operate?

Because they require membership, and not open to the general public, and you can set up requirements to be met to be eligible for membership, thus restricting the "public" part.

spikerS
11-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by mobius
Wait a minute? Did she not walk into a place of business and ask for a service? A business is not obligated to take on a job just because the client wants them to.....

Yes, they actually are if they are basing the refusal to perform the service is discriminatory in any way.

If the barbers were smart, they would have said she stank like a week old fish left out in the sun, there would be no basis for a human rights complaint.

Seth1968
11-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by mobius

See my previous post.

BrknFngrs
11-16-2012, 06:17 PM

Because they require membership, and not open to the general public, and you can set up requirements to be met to be eligible for membership, thus restricting the "public" part.

Are you sure about this? I can't see how requiring a membership and then making the membership requirements discriminatory would be any different really.

I always assumed the Curves/Spa Lady situations were more just a case of men not caring enough to bother pursuing it.

spikerS
11-16-2012, 06:22 PM
they may be discriminatory, but it is done in a private setting, and not open to the general public, and all members inherently agree to the terms of the membership, thus they do not contravene the charter.

for example, there are 2 playgrounds, one open to the general public, the other in your back yard, but they are right next to each other. Your kids and their friends can use either, but you can restrict kids from leaving the public one, and entering your yard, as it is a private entity, but no one can restrict the any kid from using the playground that is open to the public.

jsn
11-16-2012, 06:23 PM
I don`t really care who was right or wrong in this case. It`s just a case of common sense. A barber by definition, is a men's hair stylist. Why the hell would she go into a barbershop to get a haircut. It's like me complaining that La Senza doesn't carry any men's boxers/briefs. She`s just an attention whore looking for attention. There`s tons of other places to get a hair cut but she has to chose a barbershop just to stir shit up. :facepalm:

spikerS
11-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by jsn
A barber by definition, is a men's hair stylist. Why the hell would she go into a barbershop to get a haircut. It's like me complaining that La Senza doesn't carry any men's boxers/briefs. She`s just an attention whore looking for attention. There`s tons of other places to get a hair cut but she has to chose a barbershop just to stir shit up. :facepalm:

bad example. You could go in there and buy female clothing, but expecting them to carry men's clothing would be absurd. They won't refuse to sell you their products because you are a male.

BrknFngrs
11-16-2012, 06:29 PM
they may be discriminatory, but it is done in a private setting, and not open to the general public, and all members inherently agree to the terms of the membership, thus they do not contravene the charter.

for example, there are 2 playgrounds, one open to the general public, the other in your back yard, but they are right next to each other. Your kids and their friends can use either, but you can restrict kids from leaving the public one, and entering your yard, as it is a private entity, but no one can restrict the any kid from using the playground that is open to the public.

So taken to an extreme, Costco could change their policies to only allow members that are white and male and that would be fine under the charter? Seems unlikely, but interesting none the less.

jsn
11-16-2012, 06:35 PM

bad example. You could go in there and buy female clothing, but expecting them to carry men's clothing would be absurd. They won't refuse to sell you their products because you are a male.

Yes I know and agree it`s not exactly the same but my point is that this is all about common sense. Like I said, a barbershop by definition, is a hair salon catered to men. Everyone knows this, but yet she chose to go there just to stir shit up. There`s tons of hair salons that are catered to women that she could have gone to. She`s just taking the letter of law way too literally.

I`m not saying the barber was right to turn her down. But honestly, with all the indifference to human rights in other parts of the world, refusal of a haircut is so trivial. I hate when people bitch and moan about stuff like this.

spikerS
11-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

So taken to an extreme, Costco could change their policies to only allow members that are white and male and that would be fine under the charter? Seems unlikely, but interesting none the less.

my understanding is that yes, they could, but then they would severely limit their client base, and their operation would shrink like crazy.

ercchry
11-16-2012, 06:43 PM
so spa lady/curves doesnt allow drop ins?

spikerS
11-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by jsn

Yes I know and agree it`s not exactly the same but my point is that this is all about common sense. Like I said, a barbershop by definition, is a hair salon catered to men. Everyone knows this, but yet she chose to go there just to stir shit up. There`s tons of hair salons that are catered to women that she could have gone to. She`s just taking the letter of law way too literally.

oh sure, but common sense is a horrible name for it, because it is not very common at all.

Sure, a barber is designed to cater to men. Just like a caterer specializes in a certain type of food. But neither will discriminate based on sex as long as either will provide their service to the general public. Just like I can say, I have gone to a hair salon that caters to women and got a hair cut because it was convenient. They did not refuse me because I am a man. Yes, she could have taken the easy route and gone to a different barber, but the point I am making is, according to the Canadian Charter, she should not have to.

If it is true that the barber offered to bring someone in to cut her hair, then they upheld their end of the charter, if not, then they are about to be fucked with a broom handle.

speedog
11-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Ya know spikers, I am impressed. Some of the other posters in this thread could learn a thing or two from you - thanx for your such well thought out posts.

jsn
11-16-2012, 07:29 PM

oh sure, but common sense is a horrible name for it, because it is not very common at all.

Sure, a barber is designed to cater to men. Just like a caterer specializes in a certain type of food. But neither will discriminate based on sex as long as either will provide their service to the general public. Just like I can say, I have gone to a hair salon that caters to women and got a hair cut because it was convenient. They did not refuse me because I am a man. Yes, she could have taken the easy route and gone to a different barber, but the point I am making is, according to the Canadian Charter, she should not have to.

If it is true that the barber offered to bring someone in to cut her hair, then they upheld their end of the charter, if not, then they are about to be fucked with a broom handle.

I would say it`s common sense. I`ve been going to barbershops for years and not once have I ever seen a women getting a haircut, or ask for one.

I agree with you on all your other points. I don`t think it was right of the barber to turn her down, and I know it`s against the Canadian charter. My point is that she`s just trying to get attention because even if the barber had no right to turn her down, it`s such a trivial matter compared to other human rights violations. If I was turned down at a woman`s beauty salon I`d probably be upset for a few minutes, but at the end of the day it really didn`t hurt me all that much. It just bugs me how people cry about the smallest things nowadays.

spikerS
11-16-2012, 07:43 PM
oh absolutely she is stirring the pot.

she probably thinks she is striking a blow against the man, and advancing female rights and become the next Rosa Parks, but she is just coming off as an attention whore.

WithTheLightsOn
11-16-2012, 11:42 PM
spikers for president

baygirl
11-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Ya know spikers, I am impressed. Some of the other posters in this thread could learn a thing or two from you - thanx for your such well thought out posts.

Originally posted by WithTheLightsOn
spikers for president
All the hard work I have done to bring him down, destroyed by 2 posts....:(

Tik-Tok
11-17-2012, 12:04 AM
The problem here Spikers, is that one freedom is conflicting with another.

She has the legal freedom right to be served.

They have the legal freedom right to refuse (based on religious beliefs).

There is no right answer here.

JRSC00LUDE
11-17-2012, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by baygirl
All the hard work I have done to bring him down, destroyed by 2 posts....:(

No. You have a vagina, no one ever took any of your efforts seriously.

cancer man
11-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Religion practice should be respected..Sorry but i think he did the right thing.
If Apu was there?

I'am telling you we are full of appointments come back in a month,

masoncgy
11-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I think people are only blowing this out of proportion and agreeing with the "woman" because it's a Muslim men's barbershop.

Would it be a regular barbershop run by a white guy, everyone would be like, "oh whatever, shut up and find a salon, bitch."

I am not a politically correct person, but give these guys some slack. If they don't want to cut someone's hair, so what? Go somewhere else that will.

Attention whore, period.

speedog
11-17-2012, 10:11 AM
My wife asked why this is any different than a hair salon that won't cut children's hair. Not cutting children's hair - that would be age based discrimination under the charter, no?

spikerS
11-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
The problem here Spikers, is that one freedom is conflicting with another.

She has the legal freedom right to be served.

They have the legal freedom right to refuse (based on religious beliefs).

There is no right answer here.

Unfortunately, yes there is. You are free to practice your religious beliefs, but they are to be done in private, as you are not allowed to force your beliefs on others in the public domain, which is what happened here.

Originally posted by cancer man
Religion practice should be respected..Sorry but i think he did the right thing.
If Apu was there?

I'am telling you we are full of appointments come back in a month,

They should be putting religious beliefs on a stand in the back room where they can worship, and have someone on staff that can cut a woman's hair should the need arise.

Originally posted by speedog
My wife asked why this is any different than a hair salon that won't cut children's hair. Not cutting children's hair - that would be age based discrimination under the charter, no?

It is not necessarily age discrimination. Cutting a child's hair requires a certain set of skills and character. A child squirms and screams and what not, making it difficult to do a good job. It takes a special person to be able to interact with the kid to keep them happy and still...That does not go against the charter at all.

Supa Dexta
11-17-2012, 11:27 AM
women scream and squirm too! ;)

Marsh
11-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Those guys are fags. Lebanese barbers always cut everyones hair

Seth1968
11-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Would senior discounts be age discrimination?

spikerS
11-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Would senior discounts be age discrimination?

technically, yes, they are, however they are seen as a way to honour and help the elderly.

ercchry
11-17-2012, 01:33 PM
so 25+ year old bars would be too? or any bar really... discriminating against clothes and shoes

spikerS
11-17-2012, 02:17 PM
so 25+ year old bars would be too? or any bar really... discriminating against clothes and shoes

I think you are stretching here.

there is nothing in the charter that says there can be discrimination based on what you are wearing.

and technically, the 25+ bars could be construed as age discrimination, since anyone over 18 is considered legal. But I am not the expert on that, as then technically retirement homes fall under the same category, as would over 40 complexes and such.

Regardless, none of your examples are inline with the actual story being reported and debated. lets keep it on track shall we?

TomcoPDR
11-17-2012, 02:26 PM
She should go onto Ellen Degeneres

ercchry
11-17-2012, 03:01 PM

I think you are stretching here.

there is nothing in the charter that says there can be discrimination based on what you are wearing.

and technically, the 25+ bars could be construed as age discrimination, since anyone over 18 is considered legal. But I am not the expert on that, as then technically retirement homes fall under the same category, as would over 40 complexes and such.

Regardless, none of your examples are inline with the actual story being reported and debated. lets keep it on track shall we?

they all tie back to it; its a slippery slope, no?

what discrimination is fine, what is not? businesses discriminate every day for many reasons. bars are probably the most notorious for it, hiding behind "dress code" to pick and choose who they let in. keep out the "undesirables"

spikerS
11-17-2012, 03:11 PM

they all tie back to it; its a slippery slope, no?

what discrimination is fine, what is not? businesses discriminate every day for many reasons. bars are probably the most notorious for it, hiding behind "dress code" to pick and choose who they let in. keep out the "undesirables"

no, it's not a slippery slope. These are all examples that "could" go against the charter. It really is cut and dry, it just depends if someone is going to go be a douche canoe and actually make the complaint.

cycosis
11-17-2012, 03:41 PM
I thought it was kinda widely known that men go to barbers and women to salons.... am I missing something here?

thetransporter
11-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
Those guys are fags. Lebanese barbers always cut everyones hair

not all Muslims are Arabs, Not all Muslims follow all their beliefs.

Many Lebanese are Christian anyway.

Go4Long
11-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Cutting a child's hair requires a certain set of skills and character. A child squirms and screams and what not, making it difficult to do a good job. It takes a special person to be able to interact with the kid to keep them happy and still...That does not go against the charter at all.

Bad argument. Replace every instance of Child/kid in that quote with woman and you still have a completely relevant argument. Having NEVER cut a woman's hair before the barber would not have the necessary skills.

Granted that in this case she wanted a men's cut since she's of the clam smashing variety, but still...

thetransporter
11-17-2012, 05:15 PM
can someone fix hte pic its not working

http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1040638!/httpImage/image.jpeg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpeg

Go4Long
11-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
can someone fix hte pic its not working

http://www.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.1040638!/httpImage/image.jpeg_gen/derivatives/landscape_960/image.jpeg

CTV is fucking with it. Not quite the same one, but close?

http://citytv.rdmmedia.topscms.com/images/de/10/1f38b15941ddae35eecb19295e6e.jpg

GQBalla
11-17-2012, 05:59 PM
That's clearly a man

trieuth
11-17-2012, 10:41 PM
That's a man, Maury!

thetransporter
11-17-2012, 11:13 PM
see attached

cancer man
11-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by thetransporter
see attached

I think that's K D Langs Lover and i'll bet see does'nt like beef.
(But chicken is ok)

spikerS
11-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long

Bad argument. Replace every instance of Child/kid in that quote with woman and you still have a completely relevant argument. Having NEVER cut a woman's hair before the barber would not have the necessary skills.

Granted that in this case she wanted a men's cut since she's of the clam smashing variety, but still...

It is not a bad argument at all. It refusal of service based on SKILL, not the client's GENDER.

The whole argument with this woman, is the barber refused it on religious and sex grounds, which goes against the charter. If they had chosen a different reason, this would be a non issue. It just sucks she found an honest barber to crucify. I know, bad pun.

Go4Long
11-18-2012, 03:44 PM
No actually, him not having to do anything against his religion is a charter right as well...freedom of religion is in the charter.

It's a battle of two charter rights. Her right to not be discriminated against on the basis of sex, and his right to religious freedom.

FraserB
11-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Why didn't she just ask for a man's haircut and say nothing else? That pic could probably fool 90% of people.:nut:

spikerS
11-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
No actually, him not having to do anything against his religion is a charter right as well...freedom of religion is in the charter.

It's a battle of two charter rights. Her right to not be discriminated against on the basis of sex, and his right to religious freedom.

Did you not read ANY of the argument in this thread?

He does have the freedom, guaranteed by the charter to practice his religion in a PRIVATE setting. His store front is open to the public, and thus, can not discriminate as stated in the charter, if his barbershop was a private club, then he could refuse service as it is a private setting.

JRSC00LUDE
11-19-2012, 01:12 PM
Charter rights aside, since when did being able to get a haircut become a human right anyways? Why is this a human rights complaint?

chibwack
11-19-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by cycosis
I thought it was kinda widely known that men go to barbers and women to salons.... am I missing something here?
I go to a salon and I'll never go back to a barber... so nice to finally have somebody who actually tries to find something that works for me. Plus the occasional boob brushing against my shoulder doesn't hurt :hitit:

HiTempguy1
11-20-2012, 12:25 AM

He does have the freedom, guaranteed by the charter to practice his religion in a PRIVATE setting.

Hmm, this is interesting. I take it in the US this isn't the case? Might be why some people are confused.

[redneck engaged]It also points out the reason of fuck Trudeau and his shitty fucking Charter [/engaged]

Honest to god, between Chad Kruger and Trudeau, it's a god damn tossup somedays as to who I'd like to have died before they were known.

ExtraSlow
11-20-2012, 07:20 AM

He does have the freedom, guaranteed by the charter to practice his religion in a PRIVATE setting. His store front is open to the public, and thus, can not discriminate as stated in the charter, if his barbershop was a private club, then he could refuse service as it is a private setting.
So is it discriminatory if a Halal butcher refuses to sell pork?

spikerS
11-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

So is it discriminatory if a Halal butcher refuses to sell pork?

Jesus titty-fucking christ! you all like to grasp at straws now huh?

If a halal butcher refuses to sell pork, who is he being discriminatory against?

Come on guys, if you want to argue it, at least use your fucking brains.

cancer man
11-20-2012, 08:25 AM
All i know is religion is a powerful thing to alot of people
and it should be respected.The dirty pig got her 15 minutes of fame.
(She probable wanted a bikini wax as well)

ExtraSlow
11-20-2012, 11:56 AM
I dunno spikers, this chick walks into a business and ask for a service that they dont' normall provide. I dont' see that as different than walking into a busness and asking for a product that they don't normally provide.

To me, this is a good comparison.

ercchry
11-20-2012, 12:00 PM
last time i went into a barber their price list said "men's cut" ...so, yeah im with extraslow

gretz
11-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I dunno spikers, this chick walks into a business and ask for a service that they dont' normall provide. I dont' see that as different than walking into a busness and asking for a product that they don't normally provide.

To me, this is a good comparison.

They normally provide the service, just not to women...

It's not a good comparison, it would be if Halal sold an item, but only to certain genders

Eric, where do the ladies go to get their weaves? lol

ExtraSlow
11-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Butchers normall sell meat . .

I'm not trying to play some semantics game. I honestly belive a haircut on a man is a different product than a haircut on a woman. I think this lady is kind of proving my point, look at the lengths she's going to to get a "just right" haircut. Guys go somewhere near thier house and usualyl the biggest concern is price. Her criteria is different than a mans.

spikerS
11-20-2012, 12:52 PM
sure, a haircut is different for a man and a woman, but what if the man and the woman what the EXACT SAME HAIR CUT? then there is no difference. They can both sit perfectly still, can both relay instructions.

The barber fucked up by being honest and saying they can't because she is a woman wanting a man's hair cut. THAT is what makes it a human rights complaint.

XylathaneGTR
11-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Couldn't she have...just, y'know...gone to a non-muslim barber?

"Oh...my apologies...i'm ig'nant and didn't know about your religious practices. Let me just consult google to confirm that you're not the only barber in Toronto. Okay, good...you're not. Thanks!"

I honestly don't really care if it's one of those "Oh...but it's the PRINCIPLE of the issue" What does she hope will come out of this? That she will get her haircut this one time by this one guy and be champion of public rights or something?

ercchry
11-20-2012, 01:34 PM
sure, a haircut is different for a man and a woman, but what if the man and the woman what the EXACT SAME HAIR CUT? then there is no difference. They can both sit perfectly still, can both relay instructions.

The barber fucked up by being honest and saying they can't because she is a woman wanting a man's hair cut. THAT is what makes it a human rights complaint.

if she wanted something like she is rocking in that pic... that is NOT a barber style cut. thats high end salon with highlights and layering

spikerS
11-20-2012, 01:45 PM

if she wanted something like she is rocking in that pic... that is NOT a barber style cut. thats high end salon with highlights and layering

fuck your standards are low! :rofl:

ercchry
11-20-2012, 01:47 PM

fuck your standards are low! :rofl:

im impressed if a barber starts trimming with a comb and buzzers :rofl:

there is a reason its only a $10-$15 cut

spikerS
11-20-2012, 01:48 PM
LOL!

all kidding aside, she probably got it cut again when she heard the news crews were coming, and wanted to look good, but failed miserably.