PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with the Honda...again!

ninspeed
09-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Got an '89 Civic 1.5 L. The engine light has come on and when the engine is above appx. 3000RPM it sounds like and feels like a rev limiter is kicking in. (Of course it's an '89 and has no rev limiter) Put in permium hoping it would help but not as of yet. Help?!?

Rob

LaughingTiger
09-20-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ninspeed
Got an '89 Civic 1.5 L. The engine light has come on and when the engine is above appx. 3000RPM it sounds like and feels like a rev limiter is kicking in. (Of course it's an '89 and has no rev limiter) Put in permium hoping it would help but not as of yet. Help?!?

Rob

Honda's actually have codes which tell you what is wrong
when you turn on the key, the engine light will flash, the
number of times it flashes and how long it flashes tells
you the problem... for example light goes on for a long flash,
then two short flashes could meen the oxygen sensor is not
working... I read it in a honda tuning mag a few months back..
don't have the mag and don't know the codes, but dealership
might be able to print you a list...:dunno:

Hope this helps???

ancient
09-20-2002, 10:28 AM
This should help......

On how to read your CEL (Check Engine Light) Code you need to find your service connecter on your car... Its usually a blue plug most likely near your passanger side kick panel.... Its not plugged into anything, and you need to jump the plug, take a paper clip and put it in both ends of the plug. Make sure your car is off before you do this. Turn the key once its jumped, your engine light should then blink in a series of long flashes and then short flashes. Count the number of long flashes and short flashes and this will give you the MIL code. The long flashes are the first digit of the code.... Two flashes means 2..... Then the short flashes will appear if it flashes 3 it means 3 flashes..... Aboviously meaning the MIL Code is 23. Then the series will repeat over and over. Now take the MIL CODE to this page and find out what is wrong. The location of the service connector is different on some Hondas... I have no idea where yours would be sorry.

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/codes.html

ls/vtec-crx
09-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by ancient
[B]This should help......

On how to read your CEL (Check Engine Light) Code you need to find your service connecter on your car... Its usually a blue plug most likely near your passanger side kick panel.... Its not plugged into anything, and you need to jump the plug, take a paper clip and put it in both ends of the plug.

First of all your car is an 88-91 so it doesn't have that service connector. Hondas that are 92 and newer are the ones that have it. To check your code you must pull carpet closets to the fire wall on the passenger side. There is a glass hole on the gold shield that covers the ecu. Turn your key to the number 3 position and read the amount of flashes that it gives off.

For example if it was your map sensor it would flash 3 times then pause and then flash 3 times again.

For ECU codes check out:

www.hondata.com/techecucodes.html

ancient
09-20-2002, 11:25 AM
Wasn't aware of that, thanks ls/vtec-crx.....

ninspeed
09-23-2002, 05:53 PM
ok so i am getting a code 8.. Top Dead Center sensor.. now what would cause this sensor to malfunction.. the cars timing was just set about 3000km ago when i did the water pump.. any ideas.. or do i need to buy another one and replace it?

eur0
09-23-2002, 08:50 PM
TDC, top dead sensor is the highest point in the cylinder each piston reaches as it travels up and down when the crankshaft turns. Changing the timing could throw a code (I believe)...your distributor rotor may be 180 degrees off, which means its on the exhaust stroke not the compression stroke so you need to turn the crankshaft 360 degress counter clockwise

kevie88
09-24-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by tbk49
TDC, top dead sensor is the highest point in the cylinder each piston reaches as it travels up and down when the crankshaft turns. Changing the timing could throw a code (I believe)...your distributor rotor may be 180 degrees off, which means its on the exhaust stroke not the compression stroke so you need to turn the crankshaft 360 degress counter clockwise

If that was true it wouldn't run at all, it would just backfire like a muddafugga..
Is the TDC sensor on your car inside the distributor? if so , the distributor bearing might be gone to poo causing the pickups to miss each other (very common in the newer Honda's, my Prelude had that happen once, I just bought a rebuit distributor).. take the dizzy cover off and see if you can see any rust dust ect inside.

ls/vtec-crx
09-24-2002, 10:53 AM
Yes that is definately one of your sensors in side the distributor. If you need a new one i have a couple lying around in my garage or i can get a guy to rebuild it for really cheap. It's easier and cheaper to just take parts from another one or you can buy mine for $100.

kevie88
09-24-2002, 11:19 AM
If it's the same as my Prelude sensor you can just have one of mine for free... buy me a 6 pack of Traditional or something.
I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being the shaft bearing worn out, letting the shaft kinda 'flop about' in there, throwing the alignment of the rotor and pickup out.. better have a look.

ls/vtec-crx
09-24-2002, 11:48 AM
It is different, you won't be able to use the sensors from the prelude because they mount in the distributor differently so it won't mount properly. I've tried. It's the same sensor but different mountings.