PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Chrysler Dodge Dealerships BEWARE

sportryder
11-17-2012, 07:00 PM
As the title implies,

I have not one, but two horror stories to tell my fellow Calgarians.
This gets really good, so take the time to read it. Grab a beer or a sandwich and read on. These are fairly long winded, but long stories make for the best reading, don't you agree?

Before I continue, just wanted to let everyone know that I have many years of auto technician experience, I perform my own maintenance and service all of my own vehicles as well.

Back in 2007, my girlfriend who I hadn't met yet at the time, purchased a 2008 Dodge Avenger RT from Renfrew Chrysler in Calgary, Alberta. She didn't have anyone there to supervise the transaction because her previous partner (who had been with her for 18 years) had only recently passed away from lung cancer. After meeting her and subsequently looking over her bill months later during a discussion on it's purchase price, I realized she was overcharged according to what she said she paid for the vehicle in relation to the written bill amount. According to her, they verbally told her a set amount but when the bill of sale was printed, (lines were not in the correct locations) the amount was about $7,000 more than they had agreed upon. There was a trade-in vehicle involved which confused the matter even more, however she did notice that the price wasn't right and asked them about it at the time of signing. (Remember, the lines were not even printed in their proper fields, so it was already difficult to read the document) They told her not to worry about it and just sign away, that they would take care of her.

After listening to her tell me this and after thoroughly inspecting the bill of sale, I could easily see that her story made complete sense. They charged her just over $7,000 more than she told me they were supposed to charge and that amount was over the suggested retail price the car should have sold for. The next day I decided to inspect the actual vehicle for the first time up close. I found there were numerous deficiencies all over the car, including paint problems. She only had the car for a couple months at this point.

In the months that followed trying to return this car or at least get the $7,000 amount back, we had lawyers involved, meetings at the dealership, numerous phone calls. Renfrew said they wanted to see the car to look at it's condition and that they would look at some sort of settlement over the matter. We dropped the car off in the exact same condition it was in when she obtained it. They provided a rental vehicle and said it would take a couple days to look it over. During this time they repaired many of the deficiencies without our knowledge, including repainting major parts of the car. They called us back a few days later telling us to pick up the car and return the loaner vehicle that day or she would have to start paying fee's for it, so we did. Basically, all they did was cover up all the problems to limit their liability on the $7,000 matter. Everything was handled by warranty, so they made even more money in the end, good for them.

With all the work we put in trying to return the Avenger, we were stuck with it and never even received the $7,000 back.

On to our second story...

In 2009, after having multiple problems with that same Avenger RT, (namely the brake light coming on every time the car was driven and other problems) we decided to get a 2009 Dodge Caliber SRT4 from Big 4 Motors here in Calgary. We told them about our bad experience with Renfrew and explained we didn't want another repeat of what had happened over there. This time I was in charge of the transaction and negotiated a fair deal on the price of the car and also even had them include the Mopar stage one kit in with the purchase. Things were pretty good, they did try and push the extended warranty on the car which I had to refuse numerous times but the transaction was pretty smooth and they did include the stage kit (partially).

The day we went to pick the car up for the first time, they charged us over $200 for the labor on the stage one installation. They told us it wasn't included with our negotiated price after arguing about it and got me to sign a form stating that the stage kit would void the warranty on the car if they could prove it. Pretty sad since I had a 2006 Supercharged Cobalt and Chevy's stage one kit for that car was totally approved under warranty (so is the case for many manufacturers included supercharger kits from even TRD) After taking possession of the vehicle, we noticed a couple deficiencies and brought it to their attention. Believe it or not, they instantly brought up the fact that we didn't take the extended warranty and tried to use it as a tool against fixing the deficiencies. Eventually, we were able to get them to fix everything except the rear spoiler which continued to keep getting loose. I ended up fixing it myself because the spoiler fell off again one day and almost scratched the back of the hatch.

Every time we had any small issues with the car that I didn't have the time or couldn't be bothered to deal with, the service advisors would give us a run around. One time the shifter cap came loose and they told us they would have to replace the entire shift linkage under warranty to fix it. I was so fed up about hearing this, that I simply JB welded the damn thing back on and it's been just like new ever since.

Fast forward almost three years later (warranty is only three years for SRT vehicles WHY?) after receiving the latest results from an oil analysis, (Yes, I actually have the oil analyzed in all of my vehicles), it was brought to my attention from my oil lab, that there was a fuel dilution problem with the car. Basically too much fuel was getting into the oil and compromising the oils ability to protect the engine. This problem was severe according to the analysis as the oil was already breaking down in as early as 1800miles (3,000KM's).

I discovered this problem two months prior to our warranty expiry date and the date was clearly marked in the lab reports so I decided to take the precautionary method in changing the oil again and checking to see if results would be the same with the factory ECU installed. This car had really low mileage on it (only 10,000 miles) so I was also considering the engine hadn't even worn in yet with from the previous oil sample. After putting another 2000 miles on the car and getting the oil analyzed again, the problem was still present.

We contacted the dealership right after receiving this second problematic lab result and they told us they wouldn't accept any lab documents and that they would have to do their own oil analysis and perform their own assessment at our expense. I mentioned that every time over the years we had an issue with the vehicle, this was the exact same poor experience we had received, time after time. I decided to contact Chrysler Canada regarding this issue directly and they told us they wouldn't do anything unless we took it to a dealership at our expense. Of course there was no mention or guarantee that they would cover any charges once they found the problem either.

Days later, Chrysler Canada called asking to conduct a phone survey regarding our experience with the matter. I told them I was absolutely not satisfied, especially after recently purchasing two vehicles in the past with deficiencies, dishonest poor service and downright theft. No one ever called me back to rectify the problem.

So I present these lovely little stories to you to do what with you will.

Your probably wondering, why don't I just fix the problem if I have the tools and experience to do it. Oh, I most certainly will, but it's the point behind the lousy customer service I want to get across here. The dishonest attempt at trying to lure inexperienced customers into the money pit, especially those recovering from a recent death. There's a reason why these companies are fighting bankruptcy

Don't get me wrong, I love my CSRT4. It's an awesome car and I fully support what the manufacturer has done with these cars. It's the dealerships here that deserve the boot.

By the way, anyone on here have a set of SRT4 Neon 04-05 injectors? Part Number 04891574AB they want to sell at a low price? I need to replace those stockers.

revelations
11-17-2012, 07:42 PM
I sympathize with your experience.... and I would probably be in the same boat as you in #2 as I also do oil analysis (blackstone) and my own maintenance/repairs of my vehicles. If you want it done right you do it yourself unfortunately.

I was considering the SRT4 for a time being but I went with a used Civic SiR as I needed a vehicle that was going to last me. :nut: Now, 50,000kms later, I'm glad I did.

EK 2.0
11-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by sportryder

The dishonest attempt at trying to lure inexperienced customers into the money pit, especially those recovering from a recent death. There's a reason why these companies are fighting bankruptcy

Why I can empathize with your situation...why should a corporately run business take into consideration the fact that a customer is dealing with the recent loss of a loved one??...Don't get it twisted I fully understand the aspects of losing a loved one...but I just can't see why it should be up to the salesperson, or the dealership to take that into consideration and treat her differently as any other customer...

As for the rest of it...yeah it is a sad situation...and luck obviously wasn't on the side of your girlfriend when she was making her purchase. Yes, it is sad to note that dealerships do take advantage of people out there (regardless of their current situations)...but above and beyond what a dealer does...consumers should always go in prepared for any purchase...armed with knowledge and know-how...and I am not faulting your girlfriend...I am just stating that purchasing a car is usually the second biggest purchase one makes in their lives...why go in "unarmed" so to speak and not fully confident with the proceedings...especially knowing the horror stories of the industry??...

JustinMCS
11-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Well that definitely sounds like a poor experience. The run arounds are terrible. So happy to sell you the car but it seems like you're on your own after. Good luck, I would maybe suggest not buying another Dodge/Chrysler.

Jeeper1986
11-17-2012, 09:08 PM
I love these storys. That's why I only buy used 0 problems and I do all the maintenance good luck. Jeep almost 280k and BMW just broke 180 I think :poosie:

FraserB
11-17-2012, 09:56 PM
The first situation is entirely your girlfriend's fault. How foolish do you have to be to sign a binding contract for a different price than agreed upon? The time and place to deal with the difference in price was there and then, before signing. Not months down the road when you looked at the paperwork.

As for the second, your third party tests mean nothing. Its normal for the dealer and Chrysler to do their own consumption and associated tests before warranty work on engines where there are fluids involved. With regards to the Stage 1 kit and the labor, you negotiated the kit into the purchase, I don't see why they wouldn't charge labor when it was never part of the deal.

Cos
11-17-2012, 10:09 PM

andyg16
11-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Are there any good dodge dealerships in Calgary and surrounding areas? Every time I hear about them it's always really shitty reviews. Anyone have experience from the smaller towns around Calgary? (Airdrie, Okotoks etc..)

I'm looking at buying a Ram pretty soon and don't wanna end up in one of these situations:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

FraserB
11-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Courtesy, Tower and Big4 are all fine.

Just don't sign for a different price other than agreed upon:dunno:

tentacles
11-17-2012, 11:56 PM

Fast forward almost three years later (warranty is only three years for SRT vehicles WHY?) after receiving the latest results from an oil analysis, (Yes, I actually have the oil analyzed in all of my vehicles), it was brought to my attention from my oil lab, that there was a fuel dilution problem with the car. Basically too much fuel was getting into the oil and compromising the oils ability to protect the engine. This problem was severe according to the analysis as the oil was already breaking down in as early as 1800miles (3,000KM's).

I discovered this problem two months prior to our warranty expiry date and the date was clearly marked in the lab reports so I decided to take the precautionary method in changing the oil again and checking to see if results would be the same with the factory ECU installed. This car had really low mileage on it (only 10,000 miles) so I was also considering the engine hadn't even worn in yet with from the previous oil sample. After putting another 2000 miles on the car and getting the oil analyzed again, the problem was still present.

We contacted the dealership right after receiving this second problematic lab result and they told us they wouldn't accept any lab documents and that they would have to do their own oil analysis and perform their own assessment at our expense. I mentioned that every time over the years we had an issue with the vehicle, this was the exact same poor experience we had received, time after time. I decided to contact Chrysler Canada regarding this issue directly and they told us they wouldn't do anything unless we took it to a dealership at our expense. Of course there was no mention or guarantee that they would cover any charges once they found the problem either.

How long did you think the warranty should be? 3 years is the industry standard for non-lux cars, if you wanted a longer warranty Hyundai or Mitsubishi would have given you one. As for the used oil analysis, what did you want the dealer to do? Your car isn't broken, are they supposed to give you a new engine just because some third party gave you a report saying fuel was going into the oil?

Darell_n
11-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Quit buying Dodges and half your problems will be gone. If you insist the dealer in Cochrane has good service and reviews.

projekz
11-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
The first situation is entirely your girlfriend's fault. How foolish do you have to be to sign a binding contract for a different price than agreed upon? The time and place to deal with the difference in price was there and then, before signing. Not months down the road when you looked at the paperwork.

As for the second, your third party tests mean nothing. Its normal for the dealer and Chrysler to do their own consumption and associated tests before warranty work on engines where there are fluids involved. With regards to the Stage 1 kit and the labor, you negotiated the kit into the purchase, I don't see why they wouldn't charge labor when it was never part of the deal.

+2

:drama:

Masked Bandit
11-19-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm a bit surprised to hear about problems at Big 4. I thought they were supposed to be one of the better Chrysler shops in town. Varsity & Eastside have pretty bad reps for sales & service so I would stay away from them. I'll be using Tower for the first time for some service shortly so I hope all goes well there.

bjstare
11-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Quit buying Dodges and half your problems will be gone. If you insist the dealer in Cochrane has good service and reviews.

:werd:

ercchry
11-19-2012, 12:25 PM
there is only so much the dealer can do. i went 6 months on one of those stupid oil consumption tests. i asked when it would be done. "when the sheet is full" so if i came in every day it would be done sooner? "no, only come in when you need oil"

...of to ford i went, traded it in for a mustang. they sent it to auction and it showed up on the lot where i bought it from for less than i got for trade in and no warranty :rofl:

94boosted
11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Courtesy, Tower and Big4 are all fine.

I've seen some questionable stuff at Tower when i worked there for a few years. It might be better now but Tower didn't have the best reputation.

Darell_n
11-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

I've seen some questionable stuff at Tower when i worked there for a few years. It might be better now but Tower didn't have the best reputation.

Ditto, with my wife having worked at Big 4.

SkiBum5.0
11-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by andyg16
Are there any good dodge dealerships in Calgary and surrounding areas? Every time I hear about them it's always really shitty reviews. Anyone have experience from the smaller towns around Calgary? (Airdrie, Okotoks etc..)

I'm looking at buying a Ram pretty soon and don't wanna end up in one of these situations:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

People only take to the internet to voice their displeasure and that's why we only hear negative stuff about Calgary dealerships.

PM and I will give you the contact info for a salesperson at Big 4 to help you out. I have bought 3 vehicles from him in the last 2 years and referred 5 other friends to him and he has always taken care of them. Vehicles have included 3 Rams, a Jeep Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and a bunch of used cars.

sportryder
11-20-2012, 11:49 PM
I saw a blackstone oil report the other day and was really surprised how basic they are. You should really consider Oil Analyzer Inc, they have a lab in Edmonton. Their oil reports are much easier to understand and much more thorough. They only charge around $30 for the test. What does blackstone charge? PM me and I can show you what mine looks like.

Originally posted by revelations
I sympathize with your experience.... and I would probably be in the same boat as you in #2 as I also do oil analysis (blackstone) and my own maintenance/repairs of my vehicles. If you want it done right you do it yourself unfortunately.

I was considering the SRT4 for a time being but I went with a used Civic SiR as I needed a vehicle that was going to last me. :nut: Now, 50,000kms later, I'm glad I did.

sportryder
11-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention a very important extra about all this that really did it for me and something to know for those who actually think my girlfriend is to blame for being careless or something to that effect.

Back before this whole ordeal started, and the reason why she actually went to Renfrew in the first place. My girlfriend went down there with her dying husband who was still alive at the time. They went together so he could buy her a Caravan so she could have something to drive before he departed from this earth.

While they were at Renfrew, since her boyfriend was in his advanced stages of cancer and wasn't in the best of judgment due to having chemo brain, having lost endless weight and literally coughing up blood right there in the sales office. They managed to get him to trade in his prized 1985 Red Iroc-Z Camaro that he owned and drove everyday for over 18 years in for a lousy $500. The car was worth at least $4,000 from the pictures I have seen. When they did the trade-in, she told me the sales guy actually took the car for himself and they actually put the transfer through under the table. She recalls them never signing the car into the agreement and they simply deducted the $500 from the van. She thought it was a bit odd but realized it was his car and that he wouldn't be able to keep it anymore because of his severe condition. Really shady thing there. The sick part is, this all happened while they were asking if her boyfriend was OK because he kept coughing up blood and they would keep passing him kleenex.

It was the van she brought in later that she traded in for the Avenger. The manager and the salesperson were the exact same ones who handled the van purchase before, they remembered her and knew that he had died. She told me that they built up dishonest trust with her prior to signing for the Avenger and feels like she had been taken for a ride by Renfrew now.

She told me this while I was trying to connect everything together.

sportryder
11-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Yeah I am going to agree with Fraser here. I know getting hosed on the vehicle sucks but after a year you cannot really expect that they are going to refund your money. I am not a lawyer and I could prove on behalf of the dealer that she was obviously ok with it for the first year she had it. Hell even after the cooling off period (2 weeks I think) they dont have to do fuck all. It is pretty apparent that she is only fighting them now because of you in her life and not because she was worried about it at the time.

I have seen it all the time. People buy for the monthly payment, not for how much they owe. Unless they tricked her into signing that form she really has no one to blame but herself.

As for the SRT problem. I dont really have any input on that one. Start saving for an engine rebuild. Get it blueprinted and built when it is apart and get that beast up to 400hp.

She only had the car for 2 weeks when I met her. She said she would have taken the car back then but honestly didn't know she had been overcharged and that car had all those problems. I had just met her at the time and wasn't in the position to start asking about her finances or to see the bill of sale until after about the second month.

What needs to be understood here is women typically don't know anything about cars, especially deficiencies or factory defects that may exist in a new vehicle. That Avenger was a lemon as far as I'm concerned. I suspect it may have had body work done that wasn't even mentioned in the sale.

revelations
11-21-2012, 09:06 AM
I saw a blackstone oil report the other day and was really surprised how basic they are. You should really consider Oil Analyzer Inc, they have a lab in Edmonton. Their oil reports are much easier to understand and much more thorough. They only charge around $30 for the test. What does blackstone charge? PM me and I can show you what mine looks like.

blackstone is about 45$ i believe... ill check out the place in Edmonton however. Thx for the tip.

projekz
11-21-2012, 11:59 AM

She only had the car for 2 weeks when I met her. She said she would have taken the car back then but honestly didn't know she had been overcharged and that car had all those problems. I had just met her at the time and wasn't in the position to start asking about her finances or to see the bill of sale until after about the second month.

What needs to be understood here is women typically don't know anything about cars, especially deficiencies or factory defects that may exist in a new vehicle. That Avenger was a lemon as far as I'm concerned. I suspect it may have had body work done that wasn't even mentioned in the sale.

I would venture to say that the price from the bill of sale of the Avenger is probably including negative equity from the Caravan she traded in.

As with most big purchases, I would say buyer beware. Do your homework and don't sign anything you haven't read or agreed to.
:closed: