PDA

View Full Version : Witnessed another hit/run

Khyron
11-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Last one was a few years ago, took in all the info and got him nailed by the police.

Today was a lady in a pickup who backed into another lady in a minivan with kids and then took off all while screaming in her cellphone. I chased on foot and got the plate, but the cops just told me the plate wasn't registered to any vehicle, and the guy that originally owned the plate doesn't own a pickup and hasn't seen the plate in years.

Do people just slap on stolen plates to avoid reg/insurance and then just hope the cops don't ever run them at a light or a road stop? I get it for drug dealers, robbery guys and such but this was some middle aged lady at the local McDonalds.

The original owner of the plate should be responsible for something I think.

The worst part is, even being a self-claimed car guy, I couldn't tell WTF kind of pickup from the rear, other than Dodge. Dakota/Ram, 2003 or 2012 - no clue. I hang my head in shame.

Boosted131
11-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Maybe you read the plate wrong ?

Grogador
11-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
The worst part is, even being a self-claimed car guy, I couldn't tell WTF kind of pickup from the rear,

Google image search is your friend...

AE92_TreunoSC
11-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Don't plates automatically become reported stolen if they are not registered for 2 years?

Good effort OP, I pray someone like you is around if my shit is ever hit.

Kylehugo
11-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Don't plates automatically become reported stolen if they are not registered for 2 years?

Good effort OP, I pray someone like you is around if my shit is ever hit.

No my Celica sat for 12 years with the same plate on it unregistered, it was fine

Khyron
11-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Grogador

Google image search is your friend...

I did - but it's my memory. I can't remember the shape of the tails or the size. They really haven't changed much since 2003. If it had been a Jetta or something I could tell them the year, where it was built and the possible engines - but trucks, ugh. I tried to take a picture but to get my galaxy out, unlock it, switch to camera app - no chance. There's a black ram next door that looks perfect (besides the plate) but a rear Dakota looks good too. So useless.

Feel bad for the lady since she'll probably have to pay 500 deduct for the jackass that backed into her.

I was repeating the plate out loud until someone wrote it down, and it matched what they had. If any number had a possibility of being wrong it would be first digit but I told the cops that. Other 5 dead certain.

revelations
11-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Do people just slap on stolen plates to avoid reg/insurance and then just hope the cops don't ever run them at a light or a road stop?

Yes, happens all the time.

Especially when vehicle is a beat-up POS and the RO doesent want to pay any insurance.

(or if youre a FOB driving a Lambo in Richmond :rofl: )

speedog
11-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by revelations
(or if youre a FOB driving a Lambo in Richmond :rofl: )
Yeah, off topic but has it been mentioned anywhere in the press that this Lamborghini's driver was a FOB? Certainly none of the news articles I've read mentions anything about the driver's ethnicity.

luxor
11-18-2012, 08:46 PM

The original owner of the plate should be responsible for something I think.

So I'll steal the license plate off your car and now you're on the hook to bounty hunt 24/7 until you find whoever stole your plate. Sound reasonable right? It was nice of you to chase after that person, but don't be absurd.

Khyron
11-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by luxor

So I'll steal the license plate off your car and now you're on the hook to bounty hunt 24/7 until you find whoever stole your plate. Sound reasonable right? It was nice of you to chase after that person, but don't be absurd.

I would file a police report that the plate was stolen, and thus not be on the hook, same as a stolen car.

But according to you, I can go to the registry and register a new plate every year, and give away the old ones to my friends with no risk of consequences. You're good with that?

You actually ARE liable to a degree for old plates still listed in your name. That's why when you get a new plate you should surrender the old one at the registry and not just keep it laying around the garage.

Nav13
11-18-2012, 10:14 PM
My friend and I had our plates stolen off our bikes last summer. Later that evening he asked me if I had reported it and I hadn't, anyways good thing he checked with me, when I called it in the lady seemed kinda ticked off that I didn't report it earlier. The thought never crossed my mind until my friend asked.

Turned out he stole a bunch of plates in the same area so there wasn't really any further issues in reporting it, since multiple other people called it in as well.

So yea I think you can be on the hook if you don't report it stolen.

luxor
11-19-2012, 10:52 AM
I do have an old plate that I kept in my garage but I bent it so no one can take it and use it without being obvious. What's to say you didn't read the plate wrong and reported some guy's plate he has hung up on his wall? Should the guy get fined now? What about the registry then, they never forced me to bring them back my old plate? Who's to blame now? Finally, what difference does it make if it was reported stolen or not. The truck that did the hit and run still got away.

Masked Bandit
11-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Good job OP, even though it looks like it might not work out in this case. If there were more people like you in the world we'd have fewer dirtbags like the lady in the truck because people would know they'd be busted.

muse017
11-19-2012, 06:17 PM
OP I did the same thing(hit and run) last year and I received a letter(subpoena to witness) this summer saying that the suspect is in police custody. One less d-bag on the road I guess.
:thumbsup: