PDA

View Full Version : Oil Drilling - Leasehand Jobs?

Corneliuss
11-17-2012, 11:00 PM
I got my H2S Alive & First Aid
I'm trying to find a job for a leasehand starting on a oil rig.
I'm located in Winnipeg, MB and want a Sask. or Manitoba job. I was in school working a retail job but decided the trades are for me. I'm trying to find a way to just get my foot in the door but I'm not getting any bites.
Does anyone got any tips?
Does anyone know if anyone's hiring?

thager
11-17-2012, 11:22 PM
big sky drilling is in estevan sk 780-955-8808

Corneliuss
11-20-2012, 01:55 PM
I called up the recruiter today. They pretty much said were looking for people with previous labour intensive jobs before we hire anyone.

I'm looking for a labourer job or anything labour intensive for the winter for that kinda experience.
Otherwise, I'll have to keep applying.

FraserB
11-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Keep trying with different companies, in the meantime you can apply at construction companies to get on as a labourer. Pretty much everyone I worked with who was a labourer and not trying to get an apprenticeship ended up going to the rigs.

beyond_ban
11-20-2012, 02:29 PM
I have few friends who work various drilling jobs and ony 1 of them is on a rig right now. Supposedly it's been a slow start but is supposed to pick up in December. The one problem for you is that you want to get onto a rig in a specific area which makes it much tougher to find employment.

Matty_10
11-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Did you try precision drilling, my bro-law is a driller an I've worked with them before, there usually always looking for guys. There usually around Estavan and Weyburn area to the Manitoba border.

ExtraSlow
11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
This winter is going to be a lot slower than in some years past. Not that people won't be looking for new employees, but they'll be able to be a lot more choosy.

cosmok
11-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This winter is going to be a lot slower than in some years past. Not that people won't be looking for new employees, but they'll be able to be a lot more choosy.

This.
Activity is at a 3 year low on drilling rigs

http://www.riglocator.ca/wcactive_z.gif

Service rig activity is at a high right now, may want to look into that as an alternative.

http://www.riglocator.ca/wcservice_z.gif

P_D
11-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Try Encore Drilling and Treo Drilling they will be firing up about 22 rigs in total around Nexen Long Lake for this winter. I know its not where you want to be but most places will fly you in and out.

SKR
11-20-2012, 07:29 PM
CanElson is running ads every month in The Pipeline News. Other drilling companies I can think of in SE Sask/Manitoba are Ensign, Precision, Horizon, Advance, Panther, Betts, Stampede, Crusader, Vortex, Trinidad, Saxon, Nabors, Lasso, Red Dog, Tempco, Terroco and I think maybe Savanna. I don't know if any of them are hiring. Stampede and Betts I think are building new rigs. They'll need hands.

Corneliuss
11-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Matty_10
Did you try precision drilling, my bro-law is a driller an I've worked with them before, there usually always looking for guys. There usually around Estavan and Weyburn area to the Manitoba border.

I usually bug them once a week to find a job opening. They're supposedly extremely slow right now.

Originally posted by beyond_ban
I have few friends who work various drilling jobs and ony 1 of them is on a rig right now. Supposedly it's been a slow start but is supposed to pick up in December. The one problem for you is that you want to get onto a rig in a specific area which makes it much tougher to find employment.

I wouldn't really call it a "specific area". If they supply flights to Alberta from Winnipeg. I'll definitely head to Alberta but I'd rather use my own transportation to get to job sites. It's looking like I'm gonna have to start hitting up Alberta and service rigs.

Originally posted by cosmok
Service rig activity is at a high right now, may want to look into that as an alternative.

I was told that service rigs suck and they're a lot less safer. But, if I'm kinda at the point where I need a job bad enough that I'm ready to accept anything.
But, if living quarters are supplied (payment wise) then I don't have much of a problem.

FraserB
11-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Try snubbing ;)

ddduke
11-20-2012, 11:04 PM
You're never going to get a job by just sending out resumes and calling.

What you need to do is go to a town where many of the offices are based out of like Leduc and actually go from office to office, either that or you need someone to get you in. I know 2 different recruiters and they have stacks of resumes that they don't even look at because they say that 99% of people applying are useless and won't even show up.

Show up to any of these offices with your rig bag packed with all your ppe, your resume, direct deposit form and tickets. Tell them you're ready to work now and say you're willing to drive. I'm sure you'll find a job that very same day. I've done that twice, both times it worked and everyone I talk to says the exact same thing.

If you're not willing to do that then get in a different industry.

Jlude
11-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

What you need to do is go to a town where many of the offices are based out of like Leduc and actually go from office to office, either that or you need someone to get you in. I know 2 different recruiters and they have stacks of resumes that they don't even look at because they say that 99% of people applying are useless and won't even show up.

Show up to any of these offices with your rig bag packed with all your ppe, your resume, direct deposit form and tickets. Tell them you're ready to work now and say you're willing to drive. I'm sure you'll find a job that very same day. I've done that twice, both times it worked and everyone I talk to says the exact same thing.

Best advice in this thread so far.

lasimmon
11-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Nabors service rig side is supposed to get busy...

No rigs in saskatchewan or Manitoba though.

Corneliuss
11-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

I've read up on previous threads and other forums. This is exactly what they all say or call up a paid recruiter that will get your foot in the door.

I've only been applying online and by phone because I don't have my $1000 that's needed for a 2 day drive to Alberta. I also wanna make sure I have enough money to keep the bills going at least a month.

SKR
11-21-2012, 06:05 AM
You don't have to go to Alberta. Look at the companies I listed. CanElson has a field office in Carlyle. Ensign has a field office in Oxbow. Advance has a field office in Estevan. Panther is in Weyburn. Betts is in Carnduff. Stampede is in Estevan. Crusader is in Yorkton. Vortex is in Carlyle. Red Dog is in Estevan. Every time this topic comes up I post this. You don't have to go to Nisku to get a job on a rig, especially when you'd have to drive past all these companies to get there.

Lasso says on their website they're looking for guys in SE Sask. Crusader has postings on saskjobs.ca.

chibwack
11-21-2012, 09:31 AM
You can always try service side. Trican's got a frac base in Brandon or cementing in Estevan, for example. Even just a lowly pump operator on a frac crew can make some serious money, and the work is much cleaner/more enjoyable without being pussy work haha. If I'm not mistaken, frac is pretty busy in the spearish around there too.

DustanS
11-22-2012, 08:24 AM

Perceptionist
11-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by chibwack
You can always try service side. Trican's got a frac base in Brandon or cementing in Estevan, for example. Even just a lowly pump operator on a frac crew can make some serious money, and the work is much cleaner/more enjoyable without being pussy work haha. If I'm not mistaken, frac is pretty busy in the spearish around there too.
Ya, there's some frac'ing going on in the spearfish in Manitoba. Baker Hughes and Halliburton are the two main service companies out there and I believe their field offices are in Estevan.

SKR
11-22-2012, 07:34 PM

schurchill39
11-25-2012, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by chibwack

Both our Brandon and Estevan bases have a frac department. The Estevan one has been running for 3ish years I think now.

The only thing is that you will have to relocate. None of the service companies running a 15/6 schedule will pay for travel from your home town to the shop. They cover your hotel when you are on the road but if you are working around the home base you are on your own for living arrangements. The only option would be to try somewhere like Calfrac with a rotation schedule (21/14). They will fly you to/from your home and put you up in a hotel for the time you are on shift. Its usually harder to get on that gig though, especially with no experience. I am not sure what bases that is offered out of either but I know it for sure is out of Grande Prairie. However, you'd have to actually make the trip up there and hand your resume in in person to even have a shot at it.

There is definitely money to be made frac'n and you have the security of a salary + job bonuses. Thats really nice for the slow months because you know you still have X amount of dollars coming in. As you progress through the ranks the salary and job bonuses get bigger. I'm sitting in a data van right now making more money than I will when I head back to the office in CGY. I love my job, I can't think of anything I'd rather do.

GenericUsername
11-25-2012, 11:17 AM
What companies will hire a person with their class 7? Have first aid, h2s and fall arrest. I know savanna doesn't because they're the only ones who have called me after I applied. I'm willing to move to s different city I just can't legally drive for 2 more months.

lasimmon
11-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by DustanS

No rigs in Saskatchewan? Don't know where you're getting that info from, but our directional company is on 6-7 rigs just around Kindersley, and I've probably seen another 15, atleast.

Hit up Ensign, be prepared to work like said above and you shouldn't have an issue getting work.

I was speaking about Nabors, which does not have any in Sask or Manitoba.

RatherBePerfin
11-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I was speaking about Nabors, which does not have any in Sask or Manitoba.

Not true. Nabors does have rigs in Sask.

Edit: just realize you were talking service and not drilling rigs. Not sure on that one.