PDA

View Full Version : Southbound Deerfoot reopens after racing car crashes, rolls

rob the knob
11-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Southbound Deerfoot reopens after racing car crashes, rolls

NOVEMBER 19, 2012 8:10 AM

UPDATE 8:10 a.m.: Calgary police say the vehicle involved in a crash on southbound Deerfoot Trail early Monday morning was racing another vehicle when it crashed.

Just after 2 a.m., witnesses reported seeing a 2004 Porsche Cayenne racing an unidentified vehicle southbound on Deerfoot, travelling well over the 100 km/h speed limit, police said.

As the two vehicles crossed over Anderson Road, the Porsche lost control and slid off the road, rolling several times before colliding with a light standard.

A 28-year-old man, believed to be the driver, was rushed to hospital. His condition has since been upgraded to serious, police said.

Police say the far left lane of southbound Deerfoot has been reopened, and the remaining lanes are expected to reopen later Monday morning.

Traffic on three major freeways in southeast Calgary was closed early this morning in the wake of a serious traffic accident.

The Calgary Police Service closed southbound Deerfoot Trail, Anderson Road and Bow Bottom Trail S.E. after the driver of a fast-moving vehicle lost control and left the road about 2:15 a.m.

The driver was ejected and rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries. Police believe alcohol was a factor in the collision.

A traffic investigation continues.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Southbound+Deerfoot+reopens+after+racing+crashes+rolls/7569369/story.html#ixzz2CgX4FzHt

Mibz
11-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Just so everybody knows, it wasn't me. I've been flooded with, literally, two texts this morning :P

:winter:

buh_buh
11-19-2012, 10:04 AM
I thought it was you as soon as I read this post, dickbag.

Mibz
11-19-2012, 10:06 AM
I would've won the race in far less dramatic fashion, haha.

Mitsu3000gt
11-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by rob the knob
, travelling well over the 100 km/h speed limit, police said.

Sounds like the regular flow of traffic on deerfoot to me haha.

toastgremlin
11-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Sounds like the regular flow of traffic on deerfoot to me haha. Please. Everyone in the south drops their speed 20kph as soon as anything resembling a corner or bridge appears.

The King Ranch edition doesn't come with decent swaybars I guess.

Sugarphreak
11-19-2012, 10:10 AM

vincents
11-19-2012, 10:12 AM
:whocares: :whocares:
great .Club racing might be a bit different with a greater speed differential but in spec racing everybody is about the same speed and the esses are no place to pass.

ercchry
11-19-2012, 10:15 AM
holy fucking cocksuckers...

there is NO reason for deerfoot to be down to one lane, the far right (merge for bow bottom) was wide open anyway!

what a fucking cluster fuck. 45min from deerfoot meadows till it was 3 lanes again :banghead:

i still blame Mibz

CanmoreOrLess
11-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
This report seems overstated and highly speculative to me, more like “Well over the 100km limit” = "we don’t really know how fast he was going, but it is a Porsche something or the other so he must have been racing."

It is a 3 ton outdated top heavy Cayenne SUV that was the first attempt by Porsche to make one… not a race car. The faster and more stable Cayenne’s didn’t come out until much later. Not exactly surprising that at 2:00am when the temp dipped closer to freezing that the previously thawed out water would create ice and undesirable driving conditions and ultimately an accident.

Did you get past the first thirty words in the Herald article? Eyewitness reports, unless this is not taken as reliable anymore.

Just after 2 a.m., witnesses reported seeing a 2004 Porsche Cayenne racing an unidentified vehicle southbound on Deerfoot, travelling well over the 100 km/h speed limit, police said.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Southbound+Deerfoot+reopens+after+racing+crashes+rolls/7569369/story.html#ixzz2CgaEtx00

effingidiot
11-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I think there's some potential for a scientific research paper on why everyone in the south drives like a total redneck.

lilmira
11-19-2012, 10:30 AM

JRSC00LUDE
11-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Did you get past the first thirty words in the Herald article? Eyewitness reports, unless this is not taken as reliable anymore.
[/B]

How reliable are eye-witness reports typically?

"He was over 6 ft tall and 230 pounds officer!" and then they arrest a 5'8" 160 pounder.....haven't eyewitness reports been demonstrated to be often erroneous?

sillysod
11-19-2012, 10:39 AM

It is a 3 ton outdated top heavy Cayenne SUV that was the first attempt by Porsche to make one… not a race car. The faster and more stable Cayenne’s didn’t come out until much later.

Definitley not a race car... but you can't say it isnt stable.

remember this???
ELw4qYutXLs

Sorry you don't roll your suv multiple times on deerfoot like this if you aren't driving like a tool. Racing or not he clearly was doing something retarded.

effingidiot
11-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

"He was over 6 ft tall and 230 pounds officer!" and then they arrest a 5'8" 160 pounder.....haven't eyewitness reports been demonstrated to be often erroneous?

:facepalm:

dj_patm
11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Clearly he was granny shifting, not double clutching like you should.

Disoblige
11-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I heard the driver was thrown 50 feet after hitting the light pole :eek:

CanmoreOrLess
11-19-2012, 10:43 AM

Let's see... if I am driving at 100 km/hr and you rapidly pass me, it is safe to say you are doing well in excess of my speed. Did I water it down too much? Maybe I need to reread the article a third time, was this a person (which you seem to side with) running on the Deerfoot and he slipped at a speed in excess of 100 km/hr, rolled and ultimately did a face-plant into a pole? I was led to believe it was a vehicle.

luxor
11-19-2012, 10:45 AM

Why the hell do you think this matters so much? It's pretty obvious when two cars blow past you together, you know they are speeding and most likely racing each other. They didn't say exactly how fast but if a car blew past me while I'm already doing 110, and judging by experience of me passing people, I would be able to tell if they were well over the speed limit or just going 120km/h and passing me. It's not hard at all really.

But 28 years old and racing at 2 am? :facepalm:

Mibz
11-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by luxor
But 28 years old and racing at 2 am? :facepalm: Not that I'm ever awake past 11pm, but what are an appropriate age and time to be racing in your opinion?

luxor
11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Not that I'm ever awake past 11pm, but what are an appropriate age and time to be racing in your opinion?

In my opinion at no age and time should you be racing on public streets. My point is, usually it's the 16-21 crowd that I read about racing and crashing. You'd think at 28 this guy's probably got at least 10 years of driving experience and know better. I guess some people never mature.

Sugarphreak
11-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Mibz
11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Alcohol's a hell of a drug.

jaylo
11-19-2012, 11:10 AM

In my opinion at no age and time should you be racing on public streets. My point is, usually it's the 16-21 crowd that I read about racing and crashing. You'd think at 28 this guy's probably got at least 10 years of driving experience and know better. I guess some people never mature.

Drugs and/or alcohol works in mysterious ways

My vote is either a drug deal gone bad or a booty call gone bad

Mitsu3000gt
11-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Eye Witnesses reports are never taken as reliable without some kind of evidence to verify it. For all you know it was some lady gripping her steering wheel in fear while doing 75km and she got spooked by a couple of cars doing the speed limit.

I stick to my point that racing a SUV in some kind of underground street race is a pretty unrealistic conclusion probably hastily come to just because it was a Porsche

I tend to agree with this...the people who are most likely to complain are the people like you describe, from my experience.

I was on deerfoot this weekend driving to Auburn Bay/Lethbridge and there was this lady doing 80-90km/h MAX in the left lane. I passed her in the middle lane and got the dirtiest look ever. I'm sure to her it seemed like I absolutely flew by, when I was doing about 110. Those are the people who are most likely to report things IMO.

Anyways, who knows what actually happened.

max_boost
11-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Shit is it ok now? Deer foot south that is? Shot I'm gonna takes Macleod south just in case lol

Xtrema
11-19-2012, 11:17 AM
4 Ton SUV, excessive speed, wore out gear/tire over a slippery overpass.

Result is not that surprising

speedog
11-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Shit is it ok now? Deer foot south that is? Shot I'm gonna takes Macleod south just in case lol
All open per Twitter.

JRSC00LUDE
11-19-2012, 11:18 AM

Why the hell do you think this matters so much? It's pretty obvious when two cars blow past you together, you know they are speeding and most likely racing each other. They didn't say exactly how fast but if a car blew past me while I'm already doing 110, and judging by experience of me passing people, I would be able to tell if they were well over the speed limit or just going 120km/h and passing me. It's not hard at all really.

But 28 years old and racing at 2 am? :facepalm:

It doesn't matter at all, nor was I defending anyone or even talking about this incident in particular. He asked specifically if eye-witness reports are not taken as reliable anymore. Are they reliable? Or are they often proven to be otherwise?

What are you kids getting your panties in a knot for?

speedog
11-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
4 Ton SUV, excessive speed, wore out gear/tire over a slippery overpass.

Result is not that surprising
4 ton SUV? How do you figure that? Curb weight is 2.2-2.3 tonnes (2.5-2.6 tons) per this Autos.ca (http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2004-porsche-cayenne-s-and-cayenne-turbo/) test drive article?

Disoblige
11-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by speedog

4 ton SUV? How do you figure that? Curb weight is 2.2-2.3 tonnes (2.5-2.6 tons) per this Autos.ca (http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2004-porsche-cayenne-s-and-cayenne-turbo/) test drive article?
Haha, a 8000 lb SUV! :eek:

Xtrema
11-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Just going by what's said earlier in the thread. I have no idea.

:)

r3ccOs
11-19-2012, 12:18 PM
whatever... dbag drives excessively quick on deerfoot and crashes

the only thing I catch out of it, is it's a porsche cayanne and I hope that driver was my brother... too bad he's 24

Sugarphreak
11-19-2012, 12:22 PM

speedog
11-19-2012, 12:26 PM
So far in this thread we went from a 2004 Porsche Cayenne per news report (curb weight 2.5-2.6 tons or 5,000-5,200 pounds) to a 3 ton variety (6,000 pounds) per Sugarphreak that then got stretched out to a 4 ton version (8,000 pounds) by Xtrema.

So if today is a typical day on Beyond, then this Porsche SUV should be up to 10,000 pounds with ease inside of a couple of hours. Got to love Beyond.

7thgenvic
11-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Anyone know the fella?

zipdoa
11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Not that I'm ever awake past 11pm, but what are an appropriate age and time to be racing in your opinion?

Unless it's for an F1 party in the south :bigpimp:

M.alex
11-19-2012, 12:51 PM
You're all wrong.

It wasn't a Porsche that crashed, it was an Ultima GT-R. See, I took this picture of it at 3am after the crash. See, no rear clip and massively toe'd prices. Clear proof.

http://cdn.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/672_Ultima_GTR.jpg

Mibz
11-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Being that it is a Porsche, it will be an RWD biased system making it prone to pushing it's ass out. A little black ice to put it sideways, and then hitting a sudden surface that provides traction with already over-width tires would throw it into a barrel roll pretty quick. You'd have to be one hell of a retard to disable PSM while street racing after drinking.

I suppose... Uh, I suppose that's par for the situation.

That said, I don't think you've got an accurate picture of how a Cayenne handles. I'm not sure if the '04 is drastically different from the '08 but it would be extremely difficult to roll on smooth pavement.

I'm guessing that either he had PSM on, understeered into the barrier and spun, or, if he had PSM off, he just spun on the bridge. Both situations culminating in him sliding sideways into the curb.

Or he just went over the hill and decided to turn the wheel and rolled that way.

EDIT: I was under the impression his car ended up rolling down the hill. Am I wrong about that? Was the thing still on Deerfoot?

AutoMats
11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Hate to say it but I wouldnt be sad if he dies, thatll teach him a lesson. Deerfoot isnt a racetrack.

Tik-Tok
11-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by AutoMats
Hate to say it but hope he dies, thatll teach him a lesson for being such an idiot.

I don't think dead people learn lessons very well.

At least all the dead hookers I've had didn't anyways. Maybe they were just lazy though.

Kramerica
11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Somebody should ask whether these reporters even know that a Cayenne is an SUV, Calgary Herald called it a "racing car" :rofl:

Typical local news reporting, can't wait till they start talking about whether cars should be able to go this fast or something. I'll wait till we find an actual speed the guy was going before I pass judgement.

Sugarphreak
11-19-2012, 01:38 PM

effingidiot
11-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica
Somebody should ask whether these reporters even know that a Cayenne is an SUV, Calgary Herald called it a "racing car" :rofl:

Typical local news reporting, can't wait till they start talking about whether cars should be able to go this fast or something. I'll wait till we find an actual speed the guy was going before I pass judgement.

They used the expression "racing car" in a sense that the car has been (allegedly) racing another vehicle prior to rolling over. lrn2english :dunno:

Kramerica
11-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by effingidiot

They used the expression "racing car" in a sense that the car has been (allegedly) racing another vehicle prior to rolling over. lrn2english :dunno:

Still called it a car :dunno:

chibwack
11-19-2012, 01:54 PM
yeah but, a cayenne isn't a car...that's the whole point...

effingidiot
11-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Kramerica

Still called it a car :dunno:

Automobile :dunno:

whiskas
11-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by effingidiot

Automobile :dunno:

Yuppymobile :dunno:

effingidiot
11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

Yuppymobile :dunno:

2004 PORSCHE CAYENNE w/ LOW MILEAGE! LOCAL ! NO ACCIDENT! MINT! CALL 403 123-4567 ASK FOR AHMED :dunno:

speedog
11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
So all silliness aside, this idiot will no doubt have some lingering effects from this crash for a while - two broken legs and a large number of internal injuries should see to that.

Link (http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/police-suspect-street-racing-caused-crash-1.1043935) to CTV news article with pics and vid.

Mibz
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Link (http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/police-suspect-street-racing-caused-crash-1.1043935) to CTV news article with pics and vid. Peep them rims.

speedog
11-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Appearances from the video would indicate that the guy hit the last post on the south side of SB Deerfoot Trail just before the Bow River - possibly that pole kept him and his vehicle from going for a swim in a very chilly Bow River and prevented what could've been a recovery operation. Possible Google Maps locale here (http://goo.gl/maps/NUPHQ).

XylathaneGTR
11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by chibwack
You're being very pedantic.

So all silliness aside, this idiot will no doubt have some lingering effects from this crash for a while - two broken leg and a large number of internal injuries should see to that.
Link (http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/police-suspect-street-racing-caused-crash-1.1043935) to CTV news article with pics and vid.
Yup, no doubt...that guy is in for a long recovery if he survives. Hard to have pity when you hear that alcohol is involved.
I recognize the vehicle and IIRC, it was a V6?

colinxx235
11-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by chibwack

faster than your accord, so who cares if it is a car or an suv :dunno:

max_boost
11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Ownage. I don't think there is anyone else to blame but the individuals involved. It is what it is. Deal with the consequences!

toastgremlin
11-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Peep them rims.
:winter: http://i.imgur.com/9WDss.jpg
Yup, unless they make rubber band snow tires now.

FraserB
11-19-2012, 04:42 PM
I've seen that one around a bit. He seems to like the skinny pedal a bit.

flipstah
11-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Those rims look familiar in that Cayenne...

Neil4Speed
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM

All that technological witchcraft is great for 95% of situations you may encounter, but when you apply it on a sheet of black ice you are better off with it all off. All of that stuff can actually induce accidents when it goes awry. If you ever get a chance to drive around on Ghost lake, try it out… it becomes pretty evident that all of the traction control and even ABS actually is not just useless, but even counterproductive when you want to regain control in near zero traction situations.

I'm going to take the keyword in your post to be 'Regain control', because these systems definitely do prevent accidents in the first place

At low speeds, yes, the TCS systems etc can be crippling (JSN and Msommers can attest to this!), however at speed, my TCS system was incredibly impressive on Ghost Lake (I'm assuming a pretty primitive system compared to what this Porsche as mine would have had as it was designed originally in the late 80's!).

Travelling at speed I was absolutely amazed at how the system would sense when car was about to skid out, and quickly apply the brake to the correct wheel to straighten out the car appropriately - on pure ice.

This is a different system to TCS but, ESC does prevent crashes for sure.
from Wiki: 'The NHTSA in United States concluded that ESC reduces crashes by 35%. Additionally, Sport utility vehicles (SUVs) with stability control are involved in 67% fewer accidents than SUVs without the system'

Even my CRV which I consider has one of the best systems for dealing with slick snow and ice is going to get me killed if I ever need to get out of the way of a sliding truck… it just cuts the power back to almost nothing when it slips, lol.

Honda TCS systems were like this in the early days, mostly effective at preventing skids during take off etc - a passive system.

ddduke
11-19-2012, 05:57 PM

The reporter on scene is hot.

natty54
11-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I doubt he was wearing a seat belt

and his shoe is stuck in the windshield

lol "This is a very expensive high end vehicle"

7thgenvic
11-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Those rims look familiar in that Cayenne...

Pretty sure those were the wheels that were for sale just recently on here...

Or I saw them on sale on Kijiji and I'm fairly sure I msg'd the guy and said the tires were bald and tried to lowball him. If so..

v2kai
11-19-2012, 06:28 PM
anyone else get Tristan's platinum mitsu ad before the news vid played?
:rofl:

Mibz
11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Travelling at speed I was absolutely amazed at how the system would sense when car was about to skid out, and quickly apply the brake to the correct wheel to straighten out the car appropriately - on pure ice.

This is a different system to TCS but, ESC does prevent crashes for sure.
from Wiki: 'The NHTSA in United States concluded that ESC reduces crashes by 35%. Additionally, Sport utility vehicles (SUVs) with stability control are involved in 67% fewer accidents than SUVs without the system'
Yup, this is my first winter with the Cayenne so I had some fun with it and was blown away just how strict the stability control was. It obviously can't protect me from taking a corner too quickly and understeering into a parked car, but it's fucking impossible to spin with it on.

max_boost
11-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Yup, this is my first winter with the Cayenne so I had some fun with it and was blown away just how strict the stability control was. It obviously can't protect me from taking a corner too quickly and understeering into a parked car, but it's fucking impossible to spin with it on.

Do you have winter tires? The stability control with a good set of tires pretty much makes the car almost dummy proof haha

Maxt
11-19-2012, 08:23 PM
This report seems overstated and highly speculative to me, more like “Well over the 100km limit” = "we don’t really know how fast he was going, but it is a Porsche something or the other so he must have been racing."

It is a 3 ton outdated top heavy Cayenne SUV that was the first attempt by Porsche to make one… not a race car. The faster and more stable Cayenne’s didn’t come out until much later. Not exactly surprising that at 2:00am when the temp dipped closer to freezing that the previously thawed out water would create ice and undesirable driving conditions and ultimately an accident.

yup....

Originally posted by ercchry
holy fucking cocksuckers...

there is NO reason for deerfoot to be down to one lane, the far right (merge for bow bottom) was wide open anyway!

what a fucking cluster fuck. 45min from deerfoot meadows till it was 3 lanes again :banghead:

i still blame Mibz

How about the other night when Deerfoot was backed up southbound for 3 km's because Officer Beuford T. Justice decided to block lanes to do a traffic stop..:rolleyes: The way this city handles accidents and pullovers is over the top ridiculous.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Southbound+Deerfoot+reopens+after+racing+crashes+rolls/7569369/story.html#ixzz2CgaEtx00
It has been pretty greasy late at night with the warmer daytime temps, my traction control has been active at higher speeds in my jeep on seemingly clear roads.
Eyewitness accounts are unreliable, like the grandma that called me in to the cops for excessive speed after I passed her at 110 while she was doing 70 ish on the highway.:rofl: ..

sillysod
11-19-2012, 08:47 PM
speed and alcohol....

This worked out pretty good actually, could have easily ended up as another Ramandeep Jaswal type story.

It's one thing to drive home when you shouldn't after a few drinks, and I kind of get why people make that shitty decision - not that it makes it any less retarded. But blasting down the road at excessive speeds in blitzed is absolutely baffling to me.

Redlyne_mr2
11-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Keep the street racing crashes coming until we get a track.

Sentry
11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
http://i.imgur.com/9WDss.jpg
Yup, unless they make rubber band snow tires now.
Oh holy shit, this Cayenne was parked next to me at princess auto Sunday afternoon. Young brown dude in the passenger seat waiting.

sillysod
11-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

Oh holy shit, this Cayenne was parked next to me at princess auto Sunday afternoon. Young brown dude in the passenger seat waiting.

Maybe it was Ramandeep in the passenger seat? :D

Mibz
11-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Do you have winter tires? The stability control with a good set of tires pretty much makes the car almost dummy proof haha Yup. It's fantastic.

XylathaneGTR
11-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Keep the street racing crashes coming until we get a track.
This would have happened with or without a track.

Solid attitude, shithead.

colinxx235
11-20-2012, 11:56 AM
^

Very true, if someone would know about running off a major traffic intersection into a light pole it is yourself.

Sometimes it's just hard to keep the foot off the gas :burnout:

XylathaneGTR
11-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^
Very true, if someone would know about running off a major traffic intersection into a light pole it is yourself.
Sometimes it's just hard to keep the foot off the gas :burnout:
haha, I was wondering if someone would bring that up. But that's exactly my point; My collision happened because of my attitude, much as this one did. Race city was still around at that time and it was just a semi-isolated incident of driving like a shithead. To twist something like this into "durr, we dun need a racetrack, brother" is completely baseless and foolish.
Some drunk guy would have crashed his V6 porsche SUV into a pole in the middle of the night whether a track is here or not.

For the record, since my history has been brought up...I was sober and wearing a seatbelt, at least.

colinxx235
11-21-2012, 11:02 AM
I actually took Redlyne's comment from the other side.

As a joke prodding at morons who might support or increase the push to get a race track put into place in the city. All the stupid politics will complain about fatal/dangerous racing accidents, reponse from enthusiasts is to supply an avenue to allow it to be done in a safer isolated manner.

Granted we all know that having race track will never truly eliminate street incidents, but who cares. We all just want a track ;)

Also did they state dipshit was DUI/no seat belt? I didn't read all of the articles

Mibz
11-21-2012, 11:13 AM
He was thrown from the vehicle, so we're all assuming no belt, and the police suspect alcohol but nothing's been confirmed.