PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Wasabi root in Calgary?

3g4u
11-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I had the opportunity to enjoy Fresh grated Wasabi root at Nobu in Waikiki last week which was amazing. Now I must have more! anybody know where I would go about getting some in Calgary?

speedog
11-19-2012, 01:30 PM
http://www.wasabia.com/ - $70 for a 1/2 pound plus shipping.

Maybe try the oriental grocery store just west of the downtown Community Natural Foods as well.

Kinjou
11-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Think T&T has some every now and then.

CanmoreOrLess
11-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Safeway and Community had it in the past, not certain about today. T and T would be certain to have stock. Avoid that tubed shit as it tastes no where nearly as good as freshly grated.

As it is a root, being seasonal is not really a concern. You need a proper grater though. I have watched a Japanese sushi chef do this, unlike in the video, my experience was to observe the chef removing the wasabi bark and then grate. In this video the guy has no bark removal.

9TX48-HaiJY

3g4u
11-20-2012, 12:24 PM
I will check out T and T. I have a microplane that i use regularly for zesting citrus fruits and horseraddish root i was hoping that would work, but in that video it looks like that grater makes it into more of a paste. Guess i get to buy a new kitchen toy! Thanks for the info.

UndrgroundRider
11-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
I have watched a Japanese sushi chef do this, unlike in the video, my experience was to observe the chef removing the wasabi bark and then grate. In this video the guy has no bark removal.

When I was in Japan I did not see anyone remove the bark prior to grating the wasabi. You are also supposed to use a sharkskin grater.