PDA

View Full Version : LED christmas lights question - white LEDs turned yellow

Strider
11-19-2012, 01:32 PM
I bought a couple sets of white LED Christmas lights 2 years ago from Superstore and ended up having to exchange one of the sets because it was yellow compared to the other set and they didn't match.

Fast forward to now, I put up the lights and one set is yellow again.

What could cause this? age? damage? maybe a voltage thing?

Is it fixable or should I just buy new ones?

ianmcc
11-19-2012, 05:13 PM
First world problem for sure!

Kloubek
11-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Plastic can turn yellow... especially if it has had exposure to UV light.

Don't think of them as yellow... think of them as having a lovely golden hue.

HHURICANE1
11-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Cheap plastic is cheap for a reason. The plastic is likely not UV stable and will continue to yellow with time. Not much you can do about it.

Strider
11-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Sorry, I should clarify...
The plastic is fine, it's the light that's yellow.

Zero102
11-20-2012, 01:14 PM
White LEDs are actually blue LEDs with a coating on them that fluoresces a mostly white colour. As it gets old or overheated it starts to turn yellow and it can't be fixed.

Given that they are cheap christmas lights they probably are overdriving the LEDs to get more brightness out of them at the expense of longevity... Nothing you can do about it really except buy better lights next time.

rx7_turbo2
11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
I've installed early versions of Phillips MR16 LED bulbs that have done the same thing. I initially thought it was the lens that had yellowed but upon inspection the lens was in fact clear. Later versions of Phillips have been better, as have Sylvania brand bulbs. Not all LED's are created equal it would seem.