PDA

View Full Version : Which merger is in the right? - right lane or left lane?

nzwasp
11-19-2012, 02:13 PM
On friday night I was driving up mcleod trail and I wanted to merge from the middle left lane into the middle right lane. I checked it was safe there was a gap there. However when I went to merge into it I found a truck was trying to merge into the same space from the far right lane. I decided it was better to not get crushed and moved back into my lane, meanwhile he was winding down his window to perhaps yell something at me.

But who should of been allowed to merge in there? me or him?

FullFledgedYYC
11-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Both.....:dunno:

Just be careful about it.

whiskas
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM
You both had an equal right of way, but truck drivers feel more entitled because of their little dongs.

dirtsniffer
11-19-2012, 05:51 PM
that's not a merge...
whoever is further down the road has the right of way. for example if you were to be in an accident would your front bumper hit the side of his car? then it's your fault. If his front bumper hits the side of your car its his fault..
You foreign OP?

dewytrain
11-19-2012, 05:55 PM
I would think the person in the right lane would have the right of way

syritis
11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
the person who is further back is at fault.

dirtsniffer
11-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by dewytrain

Lol. No wonder traffic in this city sucks.

TomcoPDR
11-19-2012, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

:rofl:

dewytrain
11-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

It was a thought based on most lanes that end go from right to left.

AE92_TreunoSC
11-19-2012, 08:00 PM
It's common sense and courtesy.

It's easier for the right lane car to spot the left lane vehicle first due to blind spots, but it depends on angles.

Both are equally responsible, I've yet to have a close call because I lane change into the middle lane only if its safe to do so from all 3 lanes perspective.

Watching other drivers intentions pays off and only comes with experience.

If someone gets mad, its funny, let them get mad, they have no control over their emotions and they need to let it out, laugh at them :D

Ntense_SpecV
11-19-2012, 08:05 PM

It was a thought based on most lanes that end go from right to left.

Even in this situation where one lane ends and is forced to merge into another lane... common sense still rules. If you are behind someone in this situation you must slow down and merge behind. If you are in front of someone they must slow down and let you merge in. Now whether or not this actually happens is all together a different story. For first hand evidence try northbound Deerfoot in the morning at Anderson, or Glenmore. Oh and use your signal...people tend to be "nicer" if you do signal your intentions.

Now OP, because you didn't actually mention it and since you are on a car forum I'll assume you did, but did you signal your intentions to change lanes?

Kobe
11-20-2012, 09:57 PM
The old grandma that can't shoulder check has right of way since she will never look anyways...